Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: A Blustery Santalune Gym Battle! (808)

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter ゴースト View Post
    Honestly, like always the best way to think of the anime is that a Pokemon's strength varies in every single condition - strength is irrelevant if a Pokemon tactically can't do anything, or can do something but struggles/is caught off guard.
    Or the writers want to make Ash lose in such impossible ways as to continue the series while giving children a bad role model who never seems to greatly improve in the end.

In other words, I shall only voice outrageous opinions when the Pokémon losing isn't Pikachu. Pikachu losing can be reality because...well, it's a freakin' Pikachu, not a Raichu.

Never alone, together forever. ~Made by yours truly~
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris / 3DS FC: Ask / Normal Safari: Audino, Smeargle, Lillipup
    Youtube Channel - Metroid Prime Trilogy - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

What is happening?
    Source: Videor
    サザエさん フジテレビ '13/11/10(日) 18:30 - 30 17.6
    ちびまる子ちゃん フジテレビ '13/11/10(日) 18:00 - 30 13.5
    ドラえもん テレビ朝日 '13/11/08(金) 19:00 - 30 10.7
    名探偵コナン 日本テレビ '13/11/09(土) 18:00 - 30 10.6
    ワンピース フジテレビ '13/11/10(日) 9:30 - 30 8.8
    トリコ フジテレビ '13/11/10(日) 9:00 - 30 5.6
    ドキドキ!プリキュア テレビ朝日 '13/11/10(日) 8:30 - 30 5.5
    アニメおさるのジョージ NHKEテレ '13/11/09(土) 8:35 - 25 4.5
    アニメひつじのショーン NHKEテレ '13/11/09(土) 9:00 - 20 4.5
    宇宙兄弟 日本テレビ '13/11/09(土) 17:30 - 30 4.4

Where is the series? The series has to be gotten 6s ratings right now and they're not getting at 4.4 is really poor. And now I'm sure that sport is not having any influence of what the episode is getting.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 13th November 2013 at 6:17 AM.
    I think that Pokemon is beautiful and has its charm

Serebii, Bulbagarden

Note: I decided to not post post that had cause hate to me anymore. If you see one, please PM me and I will delete the moment I'm aware and I'm online.

I need to take a break in the anime forum because these forum bored me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eievui-Nymphia View Post
    What is happening?
    サザエさん フジテレビ '13/11/10(日) 18:30 - 30 17.6
    ちびまる子ちゃん フジテレビ '13/11/10(日) 18:00 - 30 13.5
    Source: Videor
    ドラえもん テレビ朝日 '13/11/08(金) 19:00 - 30 10.7
    名探偵コナン 日本テレビ '13/11/09(土) 18:00 - 30 10.6
    ワンピース フジテレビ '13/11/10(日) 9:30 - 30 8.8
    トリコ フジテレビ '13/11/10(日) 9:00 - 30 5.6
    ドキドキ!プリキュア テレビ朝日 '13/11/10(日) 8:30 - 30 5.5
    アニメおさるのジョージ NHKEテレ '13/11/09(土) 8:35 - 25 4.5
    アニメひつじのショーン NHKEテレ '13/11/09(土) 9:00 - 20 4.5
    宇宙兄弟 日本テレビ '13/11/09(土) 17:30 - 30 4.4

Where is the series? The series has to be gotten 6s ratings right now and they're not getting at 4.4 is really poor. And now I'm sure that sport is not having any influence of what the episode is getting.
    Sports never had anything much to do with the ratings. The problem is that XY simply isn't good or popular enough to bring in the powerhouse ratings.

Please don't talk nonsense about retings when you don't understand them.
    Refer to:
    Quote Originally Posted by sunyshore.com
    i'm more curious why these forums are so obsessed with episode ratings... or how you can think they reflect an episode's quality? pokemon ratings are usually always the same. its not exactly a great show, you realize, its the same show as its always been with variations added sometimes. an episode rated high means absolutely NOTHING. it just means lots of people watched - they could have watched and every single one gone "that episode was awful and i hated it". the episode will still have the "high rating" from how many people watched it.

i really do not understand the obsession with these meaningless ratings. @_@

Episode was cute as hell, Serena was spilling cringe all over the damn place that me heart felt a little giddy. As for the battle, well I can really only say that Surskit is overpowered. I cannot wait for the next episode on how will Ash put his swag on in front of Serena by finishing his training and beating the gym leader.

Quite curious on Serena's role since she seems to have no inclination in doing anything other than wanting da Ash.
    Last edited by Sushi; 14th November 2013 at 9:51 AM.

Satoshi-kun…〜

Well let's just agree on XY > BW

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    Please don't talk nonsense about retings when you don't understand them.
    Refer to:
    Except it isn't meaningless.

Unless it is different in Japan, the US cancels shows with low ratings.

The ratings have nothing to do with the quality of the episode, but the fear that it will be canceled, but then again it might be different in Japan.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Except it isn't meaningless.

Unless it is different in Japan, the US cancels shows with low ratings.

The ratings have nothing to do with the quality of the episode, but the fear that it will be canceled, but then again it might be different in Japan.
    First off, yes, things are different in Japan, where TV stations sell air time to the studios so they can air their show, get viewers, and make money off merchandise.
    Secondly, shows like these are considered successful if they market merchandise well, the actual ratings are mostly irrelevant. And ratings haven't been a very good indicator of how many people actually watch the show since it became possible to record TV for later viewings anyway.
    Thirdly, these aren't low ratings, they're amazingly high ratings American TV executives would murder for.

Now drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    First off, yes, things are different in Japan, where TV stations sell air time to the studios so they can air their show, get viewers, and make money off merchandise.
    Secondly, shows like these are considered successful if they market merchandise well, the actual ratings are mostly irrelevant. And ratings haven't been a very good indicator of how many people actually watch the show since it became possible to record TV for later viewings anyway.
    Thirdly, these aren't low ratings, they're amazingly high ratings American TV executives would murder for.

Now drop it.
    I've never used the rep system, but I wish I could positive rep this post five times.

Anyway uh...did anyone take notice to how Viola's power seemed to falter a bit toward the end? Solar Beam managed to even out with Pikachu at the beginning but soon Electro Ball managed to overpower it at the end. Viola was a really entertaining gym leader dialogue wise and her characterization was so amusing, I actually thought she was incredibly boring/bland in design first time I saw her but the anime did her character justice. "Since we have an Ice Studio, you should use it too!" comes to mind as one of her more amusing one-liners before taking out Yayakoma last episode, not to mention the use of "Shutter Chance" before dealing the decisive kill-shot like a predator spider finishing off its prey. Shutter Chance is what people will say before they capture a really good picture at the right moment and it's fitting she would say that before destroying her opponent in combat with a direct shot beam attack. She was pretty great, I'm surprised at how much I liked her and Pansy was actually pretty fun in these past episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Anyway uh...did anyone take notice to how Viola's power seemed to falter a bit toward the end? Solar Beam managed to even out with Pikachu at the beginning but soon Electro Ball managed to overpower it at the end.
    Probably because Pikachu is just that fast considering Electro Ball gets stronger when the user's faster.

Can anyone else guess who Viola's VA is? I think it might be Lisa Ortiz, but I'm not sure.

Also, VEE-ola and Viv-EEE-on? Hearing the true pronunciation of these names are going to really take some getting used to
    Last edited by Mr.Munchlax; 15th February 2014 at 1:40 PM.

Black2/
    Heart Gold/X Trainer Card:
    • Name- Dale Hudson
    • Status- Hearing from Gurkinn how the world will soon know mega evolution exists
    • Idols- Tucker Satoshi, Red, Cynthia, Alder, Lance
    • Hometown- Aspertia City, Unova, USA
    • Graduated from- Aspertia Academy

These eps as of XY sure end in a very odd way. You think it is over when the narrator talks and we still have a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Munchlax View Post
    Can anyone else guess who Viola's VA is? I think it might be Lisa Ortiz, but I'm not sure.

Also, VEE-ola and Viv-EEE-on? Hearing the true pronunciation of these names are going to really take some getting used to
    I'm pretty sure it is lisa, and I always pronounced viola that way, but not vivillon.
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMelody View Post
    These eps as of XY sure end in a very odd way. You think it is over when the narrator talks and we still have a bit more.
    They used to do that a lot in OS, but mostly just always showing TRio and what they are up to following the episode.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

The delivery on that "Do you remember me...?" at the end was so soft and endearing, I can't.

Liking her VA's work.
    ~ Return to Hoenn! ~

You could call Ash losing the gym battle cosmic payback for him talking trash before sending out Fletchling but really there is no way to explain the combination of Ash and Pikachu losing their match. It reminds me of watching a sports fan scream at the television when an athlete fails to do something that people in the crowd feel they should do. Ash should have been calling for Thunderbolt from the start, it looks suspicious that he was not calling for Thunderbolt from the start, I cannot think of even one reason why Ash was not calling for Thunderbolt, from the start of the battle. (because the frozen ground problem would have been negated)

Having said that, the battle itself was very well done, so the outcome is almost forgivable.

This is one of the few episodes where Team Rockets location is not explained. Usually they are either plotting in the shadows or at a minimum working odd jobs or something but in this case they simply do not appear. It was probably due to time constraints but I do not see their absence as a positive thing when they normally almost always show up.

I am loving the pre battle VS screen!

Quote Originally Posted by Soaring Pikachu View Post
    You could call Ash losing the gym battle cosmic payback for him talking trash before sending out Fletchling but really there is no way to explain the combination of Ash and Pikachu losing their match. It reminds me of watching a sports fan scream at the television when an athlete fails to do something that people in the crowd feel they should do. Ash should have been calling for Thunderbolt from the start, it looks suspicious that he was not calling for Thunderbolt from the start, I cannot think of even one reason why Ash was not calling for Thunderbolt, from the start of the battle. (because the frozen ground problem would have been negated)

Having said that, the battle itself was very well done, so the outcome is almost forgivable.

This is one of the few episodes where Team Rockets location is not explained. Usually they are either plotting in the shadows or at a minimum working odd jobs or something but in this case they simply do not appear. It was probably due to time constraints but I do not see their absence as a positive thing when they normally almost always show up.

I am loving the pre battle VS screen!
    There were plenty if bw episodes where they didnt show up and werent event shown doing anything else. They don't have any big plots this time around, and we don't need to see them goofing arojnd if they aren't messing with ash and the gang.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Ash loses the first time in every region he only brings Pikachu I noticed Kanto,Hoenn (Norman) and here. I'm not counting BW since it was BW where he had to battle the trio over the normal one.

Ash loses the first time in every region he only brings Pikachu I noticed Kanto,Hoenn (Norman) and here. I'm not counting BW since it was BW where he had to battle the trio over the normal one.
    I agree: I don't know why everyone acts like this is something new by now.

I actually really liked how Ash battled the Straiton Trio in BW's 1st Gym battle winning that battle, and I like how he battled here in the Santalune Gym against Viola as well-- losing =/= doing badly. Heck, I'd rather have him lose gym battles than the League any day if he actually learns something from them to help him out there.
    My Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW001-BW115)/Average > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW116-BW142)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY001-Present)/Terrible > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP001-DP191)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. TCG: Wizards of the Coast > PUSA > TPCi
    7. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    I agree: I don't know why everyone acts like this is something new by now.

I actually really liked how Ash battled the Straiton Trio in BW's 1st Gym battle winning that battle, and I like how he battled here in the Santalune Gym against Viola as well-- losing =/= doing badly. Heck, I'd rather have him lose gym battles than the League any day if he actually learns something from them to help him out there.

Plus it is like the games. Almost everyone ones loses the first gym battle. (Well now that we don't have rock type for the first gym XD)

Plus it is like the games. Almost everyone ones loses the first gym battle. (Well now that we don't have rock type for the first gym XD)
    LMAO: well, definitely true = lol.
    My Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW001-BW115)/Average > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW116-BW142)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY001-Present)/Terrible > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP001-DP191)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. TCG: Wizards of the Coast > PUSA > TPCi
    7. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC

I'm loving Serena's character more and more. She's gonna be a great addition to the show. Dare I say I'm enjoying her appearance as much as I do Misty?

Also it was very peculiar of CN to not place a commercial in between the WTP? bit.

I missed the very end of the episode though, just when Ash was getting his backpack from Serena. I'll have to catch a rerun later.

Ash and Viola's gym battle was well done, too. I'm also digging the animation set up for the battling. Also, I called Vivillon as "Viv-uh-lawn" for the longest time. Eh. Does it matter?

This has to be a first where one of Ash's first stage bird pokemon actually wins a battle, Fletchling was awesome as i knew it would be and looking forward to more great battles from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    So Pikachu this time was somehow reset without even anything happened, he can't beat a Surskit(I know plotzz).
    No he wasn't. If a regular pokemon like Pikachu can be powerful who is too say anoyter pokemon can't also me powerful? Viola is low level in the games but this is the anime. Game rules don't apply to it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Munchlax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by the1stpkmnfan View Post
    Also, I called Vivillon as "Viv-uh-lawn" for the longest time. Eh. Does it matter?
    In French a double L that follows an I is often pronounced as a Y. So the French word for butterfly, "papillon," is pronounced pap-ee-yawn. Mix in "vivid" and you get Viv-ee-yawn.

Wow, I remembered something from high school. Shocking.

Jouto, Hoenn(the fight with Norman don't count), and Unova would like a word with you, though this is the first time he's lost to a first gym leader besides brock for effectively jumping the gun and not thinking too much into the battle. He lost to Roark only because he was more concerned about showing up Paul than he was about getting the badge.

Also after Alexa clearly saying it and the fact we know Surskit can both block and somewhat push back Thunderbolt it's indeed a strong pokemon, the writers have done this before so I don't see what the big deal is, also power alone will not dictate the outcome of a fight, if one uses an effective strategy to throw off an opponents power then it's reasonable for a loss to happen, after all need I bring up Charizard losing to Dusclops because Brandon overcame it's power with strategy.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast