Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Uber Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_dog97 View Post
    fyi, im actually an exceptional competitive battler... I just never heard of showdown until about 3 months ago. also idk what PU is, but I know what NU (neverused), RU (rarelyused), UU (underused), OU (overused), Uber (I just know its the highest tier)

Back to the thread, Kyogre can be scarfed to either use thunder or water spout too
    I think you have a different definition of competitive battling than other folks here. You are new to the competitive aspects that are being discussed on these boards (I.E. not wifi).

3DS Friend Code: 4468-1031-4570

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitAngel View Post
    I think you have a different definition of competitive battling than other folks here. You are new to the competitive aspects that are being discussed on these boards (I.E. not wifi).
    I participated in the VGC 12 and got 429th place in the pokemon tourney... if that isn't above average then idk what is

I participated in the VGC 12 and got 429th place in the pokemon tourney... if that isn't above average then idk what is
    VGC =/= Competitive they're completely different, now take this discussion to vms cause it doesnt go here.

Back on topic, how have people found aegislash in ubers, it resist common moves from the deer, while pressuring mewtwo with shadow sneak, while its mixed set can beat annoying pokemon like groudon, cripple giratini normal, and if it automizes pressure arceus.

I've played with both Swords Dance and mixed Aegislash in ubers. Frankly, its best bet is a bulky mixed set that mainly relies on Shadow Ball to deal damage and King's Shield to avoid death. It's just too frail otherwise (it needs investment to tank properly and Blade Form has the defenses of a piece of tissue paper), and SD is mediocre against most threats. It's a good check to Xerneas and the standard Bulk Up Mega Mewtwo X, and it's capable of damaging common Ubers easily, but it's really only good at filling that specific niche. Overall, I'd say it's decent, but you really have to play to its strengths if you want it to work right.

Autotomize sounds like it could be interesting... though I'm not sure how well it'd work with Yvetal and its access to priority being everywhere.
    Last edited by Eon Master; 3rd December 2013 at 4:24 AM.
    "I'm fighting because there's a battle to be fought, Archer. I'm fighting to win. That's all."
    "Hm. Alright, Rin. You are indeed my ideal Master. There is no one else I could hope to serve."

Quote Originally Posted by mcdanger View Post
    VGC =/= Competitive they're completely different, now take this discussion to vms cause it doesnt go here.

Back on topic, how have people found aegislash in ubers, it resist common moves from the deer, while pressuring mewtwo with shadow sneak, while its mixed set can beat annoying pokemon like groudon, cripple giratini normal, and if it automizes pressure arceus.
    SDef Aegislash has found it's way on to standard sun balance (Pokebank) as it provides a nice check to Deoxys-A/S, Mewtwo, and Xerneas. However, its becoming more of a liability in the current meta because the rising popularity of Deo-A/Blaziken (mega) teams since Mega-Blaze uses it as setup fodder and everything on Standard Sun Balance is OHKOed after rocks by +2 Mega-Blaze.

Swords Dance and Automize sets are pretty bad in Pokebank Ubers. A mixed set is viable, but Aegislash sorely misses HP and/or SDef EVs.

Spoiler:- My Set (SDef/Bulky Attacker):
    Last edited by ZoroarkForever; 3rd December 2013 at 6:38 AM.

Rockceus is now arguably one of the most common defoggers in existence ATM, due to it being able to annoy the likes of Lugia and completely threaten Ho-oh.

My personal set:

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
    Ability: Multitype
    EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 40 SAtk / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Judgment
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Defog
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Quote Originally Posted by justinjiaxinghu View Post
    Rockceus is now arguably one of the most common defoggers in existence ATM, due to it being able to annoy the likes of Lugia and completely threaten Ho-oh.

My personal set:

Arceus-Rock @ Stone Plate
    Ability: Multitype
    EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 40 SAtk / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Judgment
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Defog
    This could be effective for a support arceus as I cannot find any good place to put extremespeed in this set... but rock types (aside from fighting, ground, and physical moves of special dominated types) have common special based weaknesses as well. Don't you think electric arceus would be better as electric types only have one weakness?

This could be effective for a support arceus as I cannot find any good place to put extremespeed in this set... but rock types (aside from fighting, ground, and physical moves of special dominated types) have common special based weaknesses as well. Don't you think electric arceus would be better as electric types only have one weakness?
    And a neutrality to Fire, which doesn't do much for stopping Ho-oh. Electric also only has resistances to Electric and Flying, so it really isn't the best defensive type out there. Rock is also a much better Judgment type than Electric in Ubers, having no immunities.

It all depends really. Electric pokemon are blessed with only one weakness, but how useful is it in the metagame?

Arceus rock can wreck Ho-oh, Rayquaza, Yveltal, Reshiram, Kyurem-W, and if it's any common there, Talonflame. I don't actually know much about ubers, but it looks to me that rock will be hitting more things.

That said, it could potentially run a different item depending on the teams synergy. Steel Arceus, for example, has the edge over Xerneas.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    It all depends really. Electric pokemon are blessed with only one weakness, but how useful is it in the metagame?

Arceus rock can wreck Ho-oh, Rayquaza, Yveltal, Reshiram, Kyurem-W, and if it's any common there, Talonflame. I don't actually know much about ubers, but it looks to me that rock will be hitting more things.

That said, it could potentially run a different item depending on the teams synergy. Steel Arceus, for example, has the edge over Xerneas.
    And that's the problem. You can choose whatever type you want it to be to fill in the gap in your team... I guess your right about the rock type arceus though, as those legendaries can be a bit of a problem

And that's the problem. You can choose whatever type you want it to be to fill in the gap in your team... I guess your right about the rock type arceus though, as those legendaries can be a bit of a problem
    Hey, not being rude, but as said before, you seem to have a different view of competitive. Could you please play some more on Showdown and become more intelligent with the metagames then come back, because honestly your posts lack.

Electric is a bad defensive typing. It is in no way good for a support Pokémon. Having only two resistances, only one of them being somewhat common, you should find a better one. Although rock isn't the best defensive typing, it checks a lot of major threats like an above poster mentioned.

The best defensive/support Arceus forms are Fairy, Steel, Poison, and Rock. All four have their own assets that allow them to function well in the meta game.

Also, can someone please tell me why the Ubers ladder is ****? I'm trying to test a new team out, and everyone I face is either using terrible moves, or trying to emulate Ash Ketchum. If anyone wants to help me out on Showdown, I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by Clone™; 17th January 2014 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
    Electric is a bad defensive typing. It is in no way good for a support Pokémon. Having only two resistances, only one of them being somewhat common, you should find a better one. Although rock isn't the best defensive typing, it checks a lot of major threats like an above poster mentioned.

The best defensive/support Arceus forms are Fairy, Steel, Poison, and Rock. All four have their own assets that allow them to function well in the meta game.

Also, can someone please tell me why the Ubers ladder is ****? I'm trying to test a new team out, and everyone I face is either using terrible moves, or trying to emulate Ash Ketchum. If anyone wants to help me out on Showdown, I'd appreciate it.
    Well.... Yes and no. Electric is a great defensive typing in OU because of all the Scizors, steel moves, and Talonflames running about, but it's pretty bad in Ubers.

Furthermore, I don't understand how Poison and Rock are even remotely useful in Ubers. Poison is one of the most irrelevant defensive typings in Ubers and Rock is hit super-effectively by every single main STAB or coverage move in Ubers (unless you're running Arceus-Rock in Sand, in which that is a completely different story altogether).

Really low end of all ladders are dominated by inexperienced players. If you're a competent player, then passing them shouldn't be an issue for you.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    Well.... Yes and no. Electric is a great defensive typing in OU because of all the Scizors, steel moves, and Talonflames running about, but it's pretty bad in Ubers.

Furthermore, I don't understand how Poison and Rock are even remotely useful in Ubers. Poison is one of the most irrelevant defensive typings in Ubers and Rock is hit super-effectively by every single main STAB or coverage move in Ubers (unless you're running Arceus-Rock in Sand, in which that is a completely different story altogether).

Really low end of all ladders are dominated by inexperienced players. If you're a competent player, then passing them shouldn't be an issue for you.
    It's not an issue for me to pass the lower ladder.

As for the Arceus forms, Poison is one of the better checks to Xerneas, especially when specially defensive. Rock, although a bad defensive typing in general, can check a few of the more powerful Ubers threats, most notably Ho-Oh. However, I still find the best Arceus forms to be Fairy, Steel, and Normal. The other two I mentioned have their niches.

I honestly don't see the use of Poisonceus because running one pokemon forme just to counter one specific mon and do nothing else is SLIGHT ridiculous.

Rockceus in my opinion is much better than it's poison counterpart, being able to threaten Ho-oh and resist Ekiller's main STAB, Extremespeed. I'll admit, it's typing is lackluster, but it's ability to threaten one of the most common pokemon in the metagame is just really good.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Quote Originally Posted by justinjiaxinghu View Post
    I honestly don't see the use of Poisonceus because running one pokemon forme just to counter one specific mon and do nothing else is SLIGHT ridiculous.

Rockceus in my opinion is much better than it's poison counterpart, being able to threaten Ho-oh and resist Ekiller's main STAB, Extremespeed. I'll admit, it's typing is lackluster, but it's ability to threaten one of the most common pokemon in the metagame is just really good.
    Problem is Arceus-Rock can't do a hell of a lot in return and gets 2HKO'd by +2 Earthquake. In fact Extreme Killer can use Arceus-Rock as setup bait as long as it lacks Toxic (and even then Extreme Killer sometimes runs Refresh or Substitute). Offensive variants of Arceus-Rock don't fare much better, failing to 2HKO with Stone Edge assuming no miss hax. No, Arceus-Rock isn't really even a check for Extreme Killer in my eyes, since it will only win if Extreme Killer is already low on HP (and if it outspeeds).

Beating down Ho-Oh is nice though.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Retribution View Post
    Problem is Arceus-Rock can't do a hell of a lot in return and gets 2HKO'd by +2 Earthquake. In fact Extreme Killer can use Arceus-Rock as setup bait as long as it lacks Toxic (and even then Extreme Killer sometimes runs Refresh or Substitute). Offensive variants of Arceus-Rock don't fare much better, failing to 2HKO with Stone Edge assuming no miss hax. No, Arceus-Rock isn't really even a check for Extreme Killer in my eyes, since it will only win if Extreme Killer is already low on HP (and if it outspeeds).

Beating down Ho-Oh is nice though.
    Rockceus gets WoW though, and it usually outspeeds common variants of Ekiller.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

I'm actually finding Aegislash to be an excellent check for Xerneas. With a spread of 252 HP and 252 Atk after Stealth Rock Iron Head can OHKO Xerneas about 80% of the time. Aegislash also rarely can get 2HKO'd by Moonblast when in Shield Forme.
    FC: 1778-9489-4489 IGN: King Arceus
    Safari: Ferroseed, Klang, Bronzong
    Guides I've written:

VGC 2015 Season: 156 CP

I use Lum Berry on my Extreme Killer Arceus. Its unexpected and usually allows me to get another SD. +4 Extreme Speed is a killer (pun intended).

Lately, I've been finding Dark Void to be completely unreliable. Last night, I missed seven in a row, and a few of them cost me the game.

Lately, I've been finding Dark Void to be completely unreliable. Last night, I missed seven in a row, and a few of them cost me the game.
    To be honest, that sounds more like sheer dumb luck than anything. Statistically speaking, at 80% accuracy, missing seven Dark Voids in a row is extremely improbable. It's still arguably the most reliable sleep inducer now that Spore doesn't affect Grass types or Overcoat users.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I use Lum Berry on my Extreme Killer Arceus. Its unexpected and usually allows me to get another SD. +4 Extreme Speed is a killer (pun intended).
    Lum Berry is a surprisingly useful item for Extremspeed Arceus and any set-up variant of Rayquaza. Sure, you sacrifice some power for not running LO or something else, but being able to have a safety against status for one turn gives you a lot more set up opportunities. And of course, it's all the more reason to make sure Rocks are up. Lum Berry is my preferred item for DD Rayquaza, and in addition to giving you an extra turn from status, it helps with confusion from Outrage to help you save some momentum. Of course, you have to be careful with Outrage now, but that doesn't make it a less devastating attack even with Fairies around.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Quote Originally Posted by Psynergy View Post
    Lum Berry is a surprisingly useful item for Extremspeed Arceus and any set-up variant of Rayquaza. Sure, you sacrifice some power for not running LO or something else, but being able to have a safety against status for one turn gives you a lot more set up opportunities. And of course, it's all the more reason to make sure Rocks are up. Lum Berry is my preferred item for DD Rayquaza, and in addition to giving you an extra turn from status, it helps with confusion from Outrage to help you save some momentum. Of course, you have to be careful with Outrage now, but that doesn't make it a less devastating attack even with Fairies around.
    Lum Berry Arceus is pretty good Giratina lure. Giratina will usually switch into +0 Arceus and try to burn it. Upon burning, Lum Berry kicks in and gets that +2 for Arceus. Arceus then Shadow Forces/Shadow Claws for the KO.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    To be honest, that sounds more like sheer dumb luck than anything. Statistically speaking, at 80% accuracy, missing seven Dark Voids in a row is extremely improbable. It's still arguably the most reliable sleep inducer now that Spore doesn't affect Grass types or Overcoat users.
    I dont know, but seven in a row is kind of fishy... I was lucky that I had Lum berry on EK Arceus, other wise I wouldve lost half those matches. I swear, if it hit this one match, Darkrai would have swept the entire team. Instead, Groudon got up rocks AND Twaved it, making him useless.

I have a LO Mewtwo, but I feel that hes really not that useful. What can I replace him with? I want a strong special attacker, but I don't know who to use.

If its any help, I have:
    Lead Darkrai
    Mega Blaziken
    CM Lugia
    LO Mewtwo
    Support Groudon
    Extreme Killer Arceus.

If you need more specifics, please tell me. (BTW, Im asking anyone, not just Draco)

Any help?

I normally use Lum Berry as well on Extreme Killer Arceus. I don't generally use spinners so it helps against Toxic Spikes as well, not just burns.
    Lum Berry Arceus is pretty good Giratina lure. Giratina will usually switch into +0 Arceus and try to burn it. Upon burning, Lum Berry kicks in and gets that +2 for Arceus. Arceus then Shadow Forces/Shadow Claws for the KO.
    If it is regular Giratina and not Giratina-O, it will survive a +2 Shadow Claw counting Stealth Rock. With one layer of spikes it still isn't a guaranteed OHKO, although it does go up to 56% chance.
    FC: 1778-9489-4489 IGN: King Arceus
    Safari: Ferroseed, Klang, Bronzong
    Guides I've written:

VGC 2015 Season: 156 CP

I dont know, but seven in a row is kind of fishy... I was lucky that I had Lum berry on EK Arceus, other wise I wouldve lost half those matches. I swear, if it hit this one match, Darkrai would have swept the entire team. Instead, Groudon got up rocks AND Twaved it, making him useless.

I have a LO Mewtwo, but I feel that hes really not that useful. What can I replace him with? I want a strong special attacker, but I don't know who to use.

If its any help, I have:
    Lead Darkrai
    Mega Blaziken
    CM Lugia
    LO Mewtwo
    Support Groudon
    Extreme Killer Arceus.

If you need more specifics, please tell me. (BTW, Im asking anyone, not just Draco)

Any help?
    Why not use Geomancy Xerneas? Your team lacks a dragon resist anyway, and Xern patches up that spot quite nicely while providing a decent amount of offensive pressure.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast