Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Item: Assault Vest General Discussion

assault vest+blissey=special attack rage quit
    but stupid since blissey is viable only with majority support moves

Assault Vest Blissey = Setup sweeper's wet dream, nothing else.

3DS Friend Code: 4468-1031-4570

What about Assault Vest Scizor? I haven't tried Assault Vest on anything yet, but it sounds to me like Scizor might appreciate it on a volt turn team, especially if you want to feign choice band.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    What about Assault Vest Scizor? I haven't tried Assault Vest on anything yet, but it sounds to me like Scizor might appreciate it on a volt turn team, especially if you want to feign choice band.
    I feel like its outclassed by mega scizor who has more physical bulk, close if not the same special bulk, while being able to run roost or swords dance, and having more attack. As far as on a team that already has a mega, as i said above, it feels outclassed. To me it would be like using ninjask as a speed boost passer when scolipede does it better, and a choice band would overall be more useful or a bulky set with roost.

Gogoat could be an interesting Assault Vest candidate; it sports 123/62/81 defenses as is, has a decent offensive movepool, and can use Horn Leech for recovery in lieu of Leftovers or Milk Drink. It wouldn't be able to run Bulk Up, Leech Seed, or Substitute either, but a set of something like Horn Leech/QuakeSlide/HP [Fire] could be decent as a switch-in to a lot of special attackers, including the likes of Greninja, Goodra, and Latios. Sap Sipper is always cool for nabbing free Attack boosts, and if a cleric can keep it safe from Will-o-Wisps, it's probably got some degree of potential, especially once lower tiers become things.

Here is a wild idea, putting it on something like Steelix.

Set it up as a slow attacker and use its already impressive physical bulk to finally pretty much tank with dual STAB and Dragon Tail now. Special Defense was always its weakness, does the assault vest actually patch it up to the point where its useful for something outside of a wall?
    The Journey (Rated R)

A pokemon adventure that will take you on a journey through the lives of budding trainers.

3DS friend code: 2981-6128-1202

Local Vivillon: Polar Pattern. If you want one I shall send it.

So through some experimentation, I've found that Heliolisk is actually a rather useful Vest wearer with Surf, Volt Switch, Dark Pulse, and Parabolic Charge, he can sit in front of most common special attackers that aren't fire based (if you use dry skin. I have Arcanine w/ Flash Fire for any fire attacks I might see coming) if you're using dry skin, and he can sit out a lot longer than you'd expect him to be able. Also, he's quite annoying as a special attacker in that respect. Plus, w/ dry skin, he can take out Azumarill with no worry about Priority, and because he's normal type, Jellicent isn't terribly scary (Mind you this was playing online).
    Wi-Fi/OU Battle Team:
    Normal Gym Team:

Friend Code: 1177-6965-7514

Quote Originally Posted by LinksOcarina View Post
    Here is a wild idea, putting it on something like Steelix.

Set it up as a slow attacker and use its already impressive physical bulk to finally pretty much tank with dual STAB and Dragon Tail now. Special Defense was always its weakness, does the assault vest actually patch it up to the point where its useful for something outside of a wall?
    Aside from the fact that mega aggron is a far greater choice, steelix is and always will be subpar, even by uu standards (let alone ou). Its too outclassed in its roles, both as a phazer (which dragontail severely limits its potential) as a stand alone sweeper (it doesnt have the movepool at all). Excadrill is a superior choice if youre using it to sweep. Tanks in the meta are below average in use imo, as they are trying to fill two roles at once, and they never have superior stats to egin with.

AV Conkeldurr is pretty beastly, with Drain Punch allowing for the HP regeneration it sorely needs. Granted it's not hitting as hard as it's Choiced brethren, but then that isn't the point.

Also Slowking is a niche user of it provided you get Regenerator onto it. It hits hard enough and can just switch out for some sweet sweet HP.

Banner credit: Jakotsu.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSN
    Profesco says:
    You were an admirable baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by L0L View Post
    They named a game after me?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfall View Post
    Also Slowking is a niche user of it provided you get Regenerator onto it. It hits hard enough and can just switch out for some sweet sweet HP.
    I've really been liking the prospect of Slowking as an AV user, given its ability to recover HP regardless of a perma-taunt, huge range of coverage moves to choose from, and is one of the few Pokes that has any sort of chance against Blaziken when it comes to checking it. It's already banned w/ Deoxys N, but I see people using it on Wi-Fi regardless. Modest Slowking max EV in SpA does hit hard, too...
    FC: 2234 - 8515 - 1161
    IGN: Nick

Quote Originally Posted by The Federation View Post
    I've really been liking the prospect of Slowking as an AV user, given its ability to recover HP regardless of a perma-taunt, huge range of coverage moves to choose from, and is one of the few Pokes that has any sort of chance against Blaziken when it comes to checking it. It's already banned w/ Deoxys N, but I see people using it on Wi-Fi regardless. Modest Slowking max EV in SpA does hit hard, too...
    To me, Slowbro is a better Assault Vest user. Both get Regenerator, but Slowbro has significantly greater physical bulk making it more of a mixed tank than Slowking. While Slowking can sponge any hit from the special side, it has an average 95/80 bulk that is unboosted. Slowbro, meanwhile, has 95/110 physical bulk which makes it formidable against both sides of the spectrum. It has equally good coverage and gets basically every damaging move of merit that Slowking gets. Arguably, it is a better counter to Blaziken in WiFi because the chicken attacks primarily from the physical side and that is where Slowbro shines. It also gets Regenerator enabling it to switch in on many threats, potentially better than Slowking due to the physical orientation, thus making it a pretty potent pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    Arguably, it is a better counter to Blaziken in WiFi because the chicken attacks primarily from the physical side and that is where Slowbro shines. It also gets Regenerator enabling it to switch in on many threats, potentially better than Slowking due to the physical orientation, thus making it a pretty potent pivot.
    That's a good point, for sure. If you want to counter/check Blazchikn, then you'll want Bro, but if you want a niche user of AV you should probably use Slowking. The added base might be negligible, though, so Slowbro might actually be the better choice even for niche. It remains to be seen.

I might slap it on delphox. delphox does have relatively high special deffence.
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rches/0Kw8LKfX

Everybody, sign this. Churches need to be taxed.

That's a good point, for sure. If you want to counter/check Blazchikn, then you'll want Bro, but if you want a niche user of AV you should probably use Slowking. The added base might be negligible, though, so Slowbro might actually be the better choice even for niche. It remains to be seen.
    For fun, I've done some special calcs against AVest Slowbro/king.

Spoiler:- calcs:

I personally think Slowbro is better at checking what it is supposed to, but Slowking does take those powerful special hits better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    For fun, I've done some special calcs against AVest Slowbro/king.

Spoiler:- calcs:

I personally think Slowbro is better at checking what it is supposed to, but Slowking does take those powerful special hits better.
    Assault Vest Slowbro is better since its defense is already high while that SpD needs some help... only thing is... you cant use curse or amnesia

Quote Originally Posted by KyuremFreeze View Post
    I might slap it on delphox. delphox does have relatively high special deffence.
    I feel like this is perhaps the biggest misconception about Assault Vest, the notion of "It has high special defense, so put an assault vest on it". Yes, putting it on something bulky rather than something frail is usually the way to go, but at the same time, an Assault Vest user needs to have some degree of power and coverage in order to threaten opponents, given it can't boost its stats or utilize support moves. Things that rely on non-attacking moves just rely have problems with Assault Vest. And in Delphox's case, it really finds itself missing the extra power of Calm Mind, which also boosts its Special Defense as well. Not only that but it forgoes surprise moves like Will-o-Wisp or Switcheroo. It doesn't help that Delphox is physically frail, and its physical weaknesses, such as Rock, Ground, Waterfall, and Pursuit, are all pretty common as well. The latter is particularly troubling as something like Tyranitar has no trouble switching into Assault Vest Tyranitar, given it doesn't have to fear Will-O-Wisp or Switcheroo, and Pursuit trap it.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_dog97 View Post
    Assault Vest Slowbro is better since its defense is already high while that SpD needs some help... only thing is... you cant use curse or amnesia
    The issue here isn't Curse/Amnesia; those moves are crap on Slowbro. The main thing missed here is Slack Off (and possibly Toxic). The lack of recovery is slightly mitigated by the fact that the bro has Regenerator, meaning that it can switch out and gain a third of its health back. Hence why I think Slowbro and Slowking are especially viable Assault Vest users.

Of the two, Slowking is probably the better Assault Vest user. Unlike Slowbro, Slowking is naturally built as a special tank and Assault Vest only helps it to do that more effectively. Slowking also has another little advantage with Dragon Tail, which gives it a support move that can actually work with the Assault Vest. Slowbro, on the other hand, is built to be a physical tank, and Assault Vest doesn't help that. Slowbro's natural talents involve taking on physical sweepers such as Terrakion and Crunch-less (Mega) Lucario, and in order to do that to the best of its ability, Slowbro needs Slack Off and Leftovers to help it tank as many physical hits as possible. Assault Vest makes it an okay mixed tank, but it really takes away from what makes Slowbro so attractive in the first place. Slowking can actually abuse the Assault Vest far more effectively since its biggest niche is taking on special sweepers such as Keldeo and Landorus-I, and Assault Vest makes that even easier. For example, a 248/0 Assault Vest Slowking only takes 31 - 36.6% damage from Specs Keldeo's HP Ghost, and most to all of that can be healed off just by switching out and recovering via Regenerator.

So yeah, I'd much rather use Slowking as an Assault Vest user and leave Slowbro to its physical walling skills.

What about on something like Mienshao, as a defencive scout, with Regenerator, and moves like Drain Punch, U-Turn, Fake Out, and either Payback or Knock Off (If you're trying to tempt a switch into maybe a Gengar or a psychic). Payback would be good on tempted switches, and Knock Off great (on a scout at least) for destorying all your opponents items.

>.> I may try this set up, see if it can't work on any item (maybe even Leftovers...)
    Wi-Fi/OU Battle Team:
    Normal Gym Team:

Friend Code: 1177-6965-7514

Quote Originally Posted by ModelT View Post
    What about on something like Mienshao, as a defencive scout, with Regenerator, and moves like Drain Punch, U-Turn, Fake Out, and either Payback or Knock Off (If you're trying to tempt a switch into maybe a Gengar or a psychic). Payback would be good on tempted switches, and Knock Off great (on a scout at least) for destorying all your opponents items.

>.> I may try this set up, see if it can't work on any item (maybe even Leftovers...)
    The issue here is that Mienshao has comparable bulk to Spinda. Even at +1 Special Defense, it dies to a light breeze.

The way I see it, Assault Vest is meant for bulky offensive tanks that didn't use too many support moves anyway and can put the Special Defense boost to good use. Metagross and Goodra, for example, are great Assault Vest users. Both have high-power attacks they can use while sponging hits and a good typing to take special hits.

People forget that Reuniclus gets Regenerator, which makes him a candidate. Also, he's already bulky af, so you could get away with running modest or bold and maxing SpA either way. He could tank hits, return fire with extremely powerful coverage, then retreat to do it again.

The only problem is that he loses magic guard, which makes him a target for t-wave and spore. Other than those moves, he has nothing to worry about and can function as a pivot quite well.

People forget that Reuniclus gets Regenerator, which makes him a candidate. Also, he's already bulky af, so you could get away with running modest or bold and maxing SpA either way. He could tank hits, return fire with extremely powerful coverage, then retreat to do it again.

The only problem is that he loses magic guard, which makes him a target for t-wave and spore. Other than those moves, he has nothing to worry about and can function as a pivot quite well.
    your right on your last 2 sentences... magic guard is screaming for life orb to be used with it... regenerator is good but reuniclus also has recover :/

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_dog97 View Post
    regenerator is good but reuniclus also has recover :/
    That's not usable with Assault Vest, though, hence the need to use a different method of recovery.

Ya know who I've found a very good user of AV?
    Chesnaught. At least the set I've been using.

Adamant
    Bulletproof
    200 HP / 174 Atk / 136 SpD
    - Power Up Punch
    - Seed Bomb
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide / Stone Edge

With those four moves he gets perfect neutral coverage. And although PuP is pretty weak, it gives him a small way to set up Attack boosts.

Calcs:
        Spoiler:

Make the right predictions, and you could retaliate and leave them in the red, or OHKO.

Calcs:
        Spoiler:

It's been working really well for me. It's a bit unexpected.
    PERFECTE MENOSVS • PERFECTE IMPERFECTVS
    I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.
    Want to battle? Feel free to PM me.
    FC: 1736 1029 6838
    Chilling in the City of Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    That's not usable with Assault Vest, though, hence the need to use a different method of recovery.
    *facepalms* oops sorry, forgot this was assault vest only. Now that you mention it, idk if reuniclus would be viable for it anyway since a lot of its moves are support based (simple beam, trick, recover, etc.)... something like delphox with fire blast/flamethrower, shadow ball, grass knot/solarbeam, and psychic/psyshock is awesome for an assault vest coming off a base 100 SpDef.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast