Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Item: Assault Vest General Discussion

It's been so long since I've been on the forums, but anyways....

Hitmontop @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - High Jump Kick
    - Stone Edge/Earthquake
    - Sucker Punch

This is my personal favorite user of Assault Vest. With good 50/95/110 defenses combined with what's essentially a +1 defense and special defense (if you're switching in and the opponent doesn't switch out), Hitmontop is able to tank several hits. High Jump Kick is used over Close Combat because Close Combat lowers his defenses, which is not recommended with a set that relys on its tankiness. Stone Edge may be used to catch Gengar and/or a flying type on the switch in, while Earthquake is super effective on Mega Gengar and Aegislash, two popular spinblockers in the game. Finally, Sucker Punch is that useful priority move for Hitmontop.

Other nice users of Assault Vest are Regirock (who has an obscene 200 defense and 100 special defense to abuse, as well as a good 100 attack. A set with Drain Punch, Stone Edge, Earthquake, and Explosion could work), Scrafty (with Intimidate and great defenses), and Cobalion (Assault Vest covers its bad 72 special defense. It also has Volt Switch to escape from anything it doesn't like).
    For trade:
    Legendaries- Shiny rash , Shiny relaxed , Sassy , , 2 (one docile, one lax), , , (DW event), , ,

DW(non-female)- ,

DW females-

Friend Codes:
    White- 2537 7184 5779

Name: Nike
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
    With enough skill, you can put any pokemon here

So I got curious yesterday and since my testing team had a mild need to keep hazards off the field, I decided to test out Assault Vest Espeon on my team (in addition to Noivern and Amoonguss). This is for XY OU, btw. Pokébank isn't as much fun.

Espeon @ Assault Vest
    Nature: Timid / Modest
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Ability: Magic Bounce
    - Psyshock
    - Shadow Ball
    - HP Fire / HP Fighting / HP Ground
    - Grass Knot / Dazzling Gleam

Frankly, it's a lot better than I expected. Yeah, it still goes down in a heartbeat to physical moves (barely manages to avoid an OHKO from the standard Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball with minimum investment), but it tanks special hits pretty well even without investment and keeps Rotom-W, Klefki, Tentacruel, and others in check thanks to Magic Bounce reflecting Status as well as hazards. Its moveset is pretty variable depending on what you want to hit, though Psyshock is superior to Psychic as most things trying to set up SR/Spikes/Toxic Spikes or Status are more specially defensive. Shadow Ball is pretty useless overall, but it is capable of nailing Jirachi, Bronzong, Metagross, and other Psychic-types harder than Espeon's other moves. Works more as an offensive utility check for hazard/status abusers, and it does pretty well against some of its common switch-ins.

AV Espeon also retains some surprising power as an offensive Pokémon. Timid variants manage to 2HKO the standard Special Defensive Goodra after SR/Spikes (or pretty much any prior damage; it also manages a clean 3HKO against Max Defense variants) and also 2HKO Physically Defensive Tentacruel (SpD models are OHKO'd outright) with Psyshock. It also 2HKO's the standard Ferrothorn with HP Fire (sadly, it is no longer capable of an OHKO after SR on Scizor thanks to the nerfing of Hidden Power and Scizor running specially bulkier spreads these days).

With a Modest nature, AV Espeon also nails a 2HKO from Psyshock on Standard and SpD Rotom-W after Stealth Rock and just manages a clean 2HKO on SpD Assault Vest Goodra. It also manages a 2HKO on Max Sassy Ferrothorn and an OHKO after Stealth Rock on standard Scizor with HP Fire. Finally, Grass Knot nails a 2HKO on Max HP Tyranitar in Sandstorm after SR or Spikes, even with Leftovers. Yes, really. Modest is actually viable because most of Espeon's targets using this set are going to be slow or uninvested, and thus they can be outsped without a boosting nature.

It's not the best Assault Vest user, but its far from the worst and it can work pretty well thanks to its strong offensive stats and useful ability. I'm almost tempted to try out a bulkier spread, but I like having Speed on my side and the power against most of its targets/switch-ins is too good to pass up.

On an almost entirely unrelated note, I have a feeling that Assault Vest Lanturn will be a pain in the arse for the lower tiers. Between Scald's Burn chance, Volt Switch, and its natural bulk combined with awesome defensive typing, it has some great advantages as an Assault Vest user. AV Xatu as well, on a more related note.
    Last edited by Eon Master; 2nd December 2013 at 6:54 PM.
    "Archer, you've decided? You'll really kill him, no matter what?"
    "Go on, escape from here. I'm not going to allow you to cry anymore."

AV is a very odd item, really. The only other item that does anything similar is Eviolite, but that has a very finite selection of mons it can be used on, and even then it makes many of them viable in at least UU, if not some in OU. AV, on the other hand, can be put on just about anything at the expence of Status moves, granting a 50% bonus to Special D to anybody who doesn't think they need status moves. In terms of team comp, if you can get Rocks or Spikes out, you can force at least a few switches (taking great advantage of Pursuit, I'm looking at you TTar), or with things with Regenerator or Intimidate, abuse abilities. There is SOOO much this item CAN do vs. what it limits. Really, it's what combos well with this item that makes it useful, so here's a tenative list of things I've read/seen/tried that were, at worst gimmicky and useable, at best wonderful

- Rock types in Sandstorm (100% buff to Sp. Def) ex. TTar
    - Abilities that heal on fast/powerful mons to Special Tank. ex. Regenerator, Volt/Water Absorb, Dry Skin, etc.
    - Abilities that provide support so mons can neuter threats and do some damage / force switches. ex. Intimidate, Magic Bounce
    - Rapid Spinners
    - Things that might want Leftovers but you already have them somewhere better and 1 item clause.
    - Things already tanky that can hit hard. ex. Snorlax, Goodra

Honestly, I think this item is just great overall, not gimmicky at all. I am certain it will find its place on many set ups and teams as a mainstay item.

Quote Originally Posted by silverangel View Post
    Hitmontop @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - High Jump Kick
    - Stone Edge/Earthquake
    - Sucker Punch
    I think because of Assault Vest, the Hitmontrio in general will find revived use in this gen, perhaps. Thier 110 base Sp. Def is nothing to scoff at, and with access to Rapid Spin and most Spin blockers being Sp. Attackers, I think it's a great idea. I would change at least one thing about your set up: Pursuit rather than Sucker Punch. Priority is great and all, but you toss out Top, they know what you're up to. They are gonna go straigt to the blocker, pursuit gives you that extra hit against whatever you're against. Sucker Punch relies on them attacking, and most blockers are also gonna be stalling rather than attacking (I'm thinking Jellicent in Bank, but so is Sucker Punch on Top, so that's still a valid point), so something like pursuit is going to be slightly more useful. In that regard, Technician might be a better ability, but Intimidate promises the switch a bit more, so I won't suggest changing that.
    Wi-Fi/OU Battle Team:
    Normal Gym Team:

Friend Code: 1177-6965-7514

I've actually had some success using assault vest Rhyperior on a TR team in OU. The set is quite similar to the specially defensive set that Rhyperior ran last Gen, but thanks to AV, you free up more EVs for investment in other stats. Sure, it isn't going to see use in mainstream OU, but I can see it becoming a standard set in lower tiers once they're set up.

Credit to Ayra for the profile pic.
    ASB squad- http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...0#post16972170
    I have claimed Kabutops, destroyer of all! Fear me or perish!

Not sure if anyone mentioned this yet butttt

AV PALKIA.

Palkia utilizes Assault Vest quite well, giving it the much-loved special defense boosts and it doesn't usually run status moves anyway. This way, it can take hits from Kyogre even better, further upgrading its walling potential against the whale. However, with AV, Palkia loses a lot of firepower, so AV is not without its downsides.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Quote Originally Posted by ModelT View Post
    AV, on the other hand, can be put on just about anything at the expence of Status moves, granting a 50% bonus to Special D to anybody who doesn't think they need status moves.
    I don't think so. You don't want to put in on just anything, you need to find a suitable mon (and imo, they're as rare or rarer than mons capable of using eviolite).

They need to match one or more of these criteria:
    ~Have walling potential that is accentuated by AV
    ~Doesn't lose too much when status is taken away/loss is balanced
    ~Can hit hard with no boosts & has good coverage
    ~Must not have another item that's clearly better for it
    ~Isn't frail

I mean, you can run it on anything, but a AV Jolteon won't gain as much as an AV Ttar or Reuniclus, because they each have abilities and/or typings that compliment the use of the item. It's going to be hard to find a truly scary user of AV that's known for AV, I think.
    FC: 2234 - 8515 - 1161
    IGN: Nick

I've discovered, Metagross seems like an amazing user of AV.
    Amazing Defense, amazing Attack, and a way to passively boost it's attack with meteor mash makes me think of a prime Assault Vest user.
    I haven't tested it yet. But, I will do so as soon as I get home.
    PERFECTE MENOSVS • PERFECTE IMPERFECTVS
    I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.
    Want to battle? Feel free to PM me.
    FC: 1736 1029 6838
    Chilling in the City of Fear

Honestly, the biggest problem with Assault Vest is that most of the Pokemon who would make the best use of it rely on or make use of non-offensive moves. An offensive Spinner like Donphan or Starmie would probably be some of the best users, but they appreciate other items more.

Tbch, I'm pretty sure that Assault Vest will, like Eviolite, find most of its use in the lower tiers. It's just got too much of a drawback for it to be common in OU.
    "Archer, you've decided? You'll really kill him, no matter what?"
    "Go on, escape from here. I'm not going to allow you to cry anymore."

You know, here's a big question. We've only been considering Single battles. What about in other battle formats? Doubles seem popular lately, and a boost to a stat vs. things like leftovers might be well appreciated.
    Wi-Fi/OU Battle Team:
    Normal Gym Team:

Friend Code: 1177-6965-7514

You know, here's a big question. We've only been considering Single battles. What about in other battle formats? Doubles seem popular lately, and a boost to a stat vs. things like leftovers might be well appreciated.
    Doubles depends a lot on protect so i cant see it being to good. On something like terrakion that only attacks it could be good, but overall i dont think it will be that common

I was inclined to agree until mcdanger's post reminded me of my own doubles team sitting in Gen 5. Protect is too important to pass up in most cases, so I don't think it would see as much use as one might expect. My own team has Protect on everything (or Wide Guard for Hitmontop) except for Metagross, who has a Normal Gem for Explosion. Though since this is Metagross I'm talking about, he could potentially make some use of Assault Vest in Doubles as well. Forgoing Protect on something just so you can give it Assault Vest, though, isn't something I'd do myself in most cases.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

I’ve used this Assault Vest user to some success.
    Scrafty (Hood Rat)
    Adamant (I imagine impish or careful would work to but adamant allows for greater recovery)
    Evs 252hp/ 252def/ 4 att
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Shed Skin (I chose shed skin because I wouldn’t have to worry about a burn or being toxiced out. Also I think moxie and intimidate all work well)
    Move Set:
    Crunch (stab coverage)
    Power up punch (boost attack not much else to say)
    Drain punch (recovery that is much needed on this poke)
    Fire punch (to get through ferrothorn or scizor) ice punch works too
    Basically set up on a poke that cant damage you too much then recover it all back with drain punch. If scrafty can get leech seed he shines.
    Game: X
    FC: 0344-9580-2858
    Friend Safari: Ghost: Shuppet, Pumkaboo, and Spiritomb

Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge)
    CHECK OUT MY TRADE SHOP!
    The Harken Pokemon and Service Shop

I haven't tried it but I thought about it...

Yanmega
    - Bug Buzz
    - Air Slash
    - Ancient Power
    - Giga Drain (only access from Black and White 2 tutor)/U-turn
    Item: Assault Vest
    Ability: Speed Boost/Tinted Lens (both could work well, honestly, but I think Speed Boost is very helpful. Can easily counter Dragon Dance's Speed Boost while keep attacking)
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
    Nature: Timid (+ Speed, - Attack) or Modest (+ Special Attack, - Attack) nature.

The thing is, Yanmega doesn't have a so bad Defense and is immuned to Earthquake, a move frequently used in competitive single battle play. Having the Assault Vest boosts its Special Defense to as high as its Defense, bringing a lot of potential. Aside of possibly Protect/Detect and Hypnosis, usually used to give Yanmega a free Speed Boost right from the start, I rarely see a Yanmega using status moves, making the absence of it pretty much useless. Bug Buzz and Air Slash are the basics for this Pokémon, and Ancient Power for Flying and Fire coverage (Hidden Power's power now always 60, Ancient Power becomes greater than it) and a free 10% of chance of getting boosted in each stats. Giga Drain is for more coverage against Rock types, Yanmega's main weakness, as well as a recovery move. However, this move is only accessed if you get your Black and White 2 Yanma to the move tutor and make it learn Giga Drain, which is sad. If Giga Drain's not an option, than U-turn is a good move to switch Yanmega while dealing few damages (putting the accent on 'few', as Yanmega's poor Attack, combined with the Attack reducing nature might not work so well). U-turn acts a little bit like Protect, as Yanmega's speed, which is great enough to outspeed many opponents without Speed Boost, will let Yanmega move first and get out of the battle without any harm. Finally, about the ability, I would go for Speed Boost, since it has a real advantage, but with Assault Vest, Yanmega has to be a special demolisher, and Tinted Lens always cover for Pokémon with the disadvantage typing.
    Yanmega would surely not be the best Assault Vest user, but it could easily take down many Pokémon if it works.

What do you guys think ? Do you think it's feasible ?
    Last edited by The Prince of May; 24th December 2013 at 3:59 PM.
    Water 水 - Earth 土 - Fire 火 - Air 气 - Spirits 神靈 - Change 易 - Balance 平衡
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt account

^^^Seems like a decent idea on paper, but then you realize that some of the point of an Assault Vest user is to switch into common special attacks and scare them out. Let's look at some calcs, assuming Stealth Rock is up (a very fair assumption to make when the foe sees Yanmega on your team)

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Yanmega: 211-250 (67.4 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Yanmega: 346-408 (110.5 - 130.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (doesn't even need Stealth Rock)

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Yanmega: 169-199 (53.9 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

4 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Yanmega: 168-200 (53.6 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

All of these are extremely common special attacks that all will OHKO poor Yanmega (after Sneaky Pebbles) even with an Assault Vest. Additionally, a Bug typing is almost a liability now that monsters like Talonflame and Mega Pinsir are throwing their deadly Flying attacks everywhere.
    http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=35776

i'm pretty sure i just found the most hilarious pogeymanz are satan discussion ever

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    ^^^Seems like a decent idea on paper, but then you realize that some of the point of an Assault Vest user is to switch into common special attacks and scare them out. Let's look at some calcs, assuming Stealth Rock is up (a very fair assumption to make when the foe sees Yanmega on your team)

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Yanmega: 211-250 (67.4 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Yanmega: 346-408 (110.5 - 130.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (doesn't even need Stealth Rock)

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Yanmega: 169-199 (53.9 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

4 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Yanmega: 168-200 (53.6 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

All of these are extremely common special attacks that all will OHKO poor Yanmega (after Sneaky Pebbles) even with an Assault Vest. Additionally, a Bug typing is almost a liability now that monsters like Talonflame and Mega Pinsir are throwing their deadly Flying attacks everywhere.
    But at the same time, let's not forget Yanmega's main asset is its Speed. If it gets a Speed Boost right from the start, the next turn after the Stealth Rock setter is the start of a killing streak. I usually prefer to send out my Yanmega (I do have a competitive Life Orb Yanmega) first so that it receives no damages if Stealth Rock is set and receives the Speed Boost advantage as soon as possible. I think Assault Vest Yanmega can still be run, but with a little bit of luck, too.
    That's too bad, I think Yanmega's fraility is its only obstacle. I'm still thinking it could outspeed Greninja and Rotom after a Speed Boost or two, making it a massive killer, if it manages to take down the opposing team's Stealth Rock setter.
    Water 水 - Earth 土 - Fire 火 - Air 气 - Spirits 神靈 - Change 易 - Balance 平衡
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt account

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of May View Post
    But at the same time, let's not forget Yanmega's main asset is its Speed. If it gets a Speed Boost right from the start, the next turn after the Stealth Rock setter is the start of a killing streak. I usually prefer to send out my Yanmega (I do have a competitive Life Orb Yanmega) first so that it receives no damages if Stealth Rock is set and receives the Speed Boost advantage as soon as possible. I think Assault Vest Yanmega can still be run, but with a little bit of luck, too.
    That's too bad, I think Yanmega's fraility is its only obstacle. I'm still thinking it could outspeed Greninja and Rotom after a Speed Boost or two, making it a massive killer, if it manages to take down the opposing team's Stealth Rock setter.
    The point The Imposter is trying to make is that the assault vest is a pretty situational item on Yanmega, and is pretty much outclassed by life orb and choice specs. Yanmega's asset is its good offensive capability, and it's better to have an item that augments that rather than trying to improve on that godawful SpDef, which is pretty bad even with an assault vest.

Credit to Ayra for the profile pic.
    ASB squad- http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...0#post16972170
    I have claimed Kabutops, destroyer of all! Fear me or perish!

Give that bad boy to Tyranitar and you're set for slaughtering.
    If you wanted to run Emboar for some reason (lol), I assume Assault Vest would make it okay at most, but there are much more deserving assailants to play with.
    What is Life's Greatest Illusion?
    Innocence, my brother...

closed for bumping

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345