Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gen VI Mega Evolution Discussion Thread

hey man but fly isn't aerodactyls only flying type move... even acrobatics while holding an item will do decent damage (although aerial ace will be better with the aerodactyllite)
    also, question, is rock slide or earthquake powered up by tough claws?

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_dog97 View Post
    the three best megas ive used have to be the two sucker punchers and aerodactyl
    not sure if I did the math right but a mega aerodactyl using fly would become a base power of 135
    dual sucker punch from kang can take out the three OU megas (alakazam, gengar, mewtwo) he even has a power up punch with a makeshift swords dance added to it
    one swords dance and sucker punch is all you need for mawile. it ohkos neutral targets and even the really frail targets that resist it

P.s. Zachmac, I love your sableye sig
    Since Fly is a two turn move 135 base power from two turns is not that good really.

I mean Aerial Ace would be boosted to 78 power per turn.
    Spare Legendaries:

I am also after DW: Adamant: , Adamant:

**Note** Everything above is in relation to Gen V

FC Black 2 - 0949 0114 5333
    Y FC - 4785-5536-1158 (Friend Safari has Ditto, dusparce and Minccino)

hey man but fly isn't aerodactyls only flying type move... even acrobatics while holding an item will do decent damage (although aerial ace will be better with the aerodactyllite)
    I feel earthquake isn't. I mean Aegislash does not cause attack lowering when hit by earthquake while in kings shield mode.
    Spare Legendaries:

I am also after DW: Adamant: , Adamant:

**Note** Everything above is in relation to Gen V

FC Black 2 - 0949 0114 5333
    Y FC - 4785-5536-1158 (Friend Safari has Ditto, dusparce and Minccino)

Fly not being his only Flying type move makes it worse.

Rock Slide and EQ are not contact moves, and are therefor not powered up by Tough Claws.

3DS Friend Code: 4468-1031-4570

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitAngel View Post
    Fly not being his only Flying type move makes it worse.

Rock Slide and EQ are not contact moves, and are therefor not powered up by Tough Claws.
    Damn it!!!
    oh well, im better off not mega evolving aero but instead slap on a kings rock/razor fang to troll with high flinch chances by using rock slide

Damn it!!!
    oh well, im better off not mega evolving aero but instead slap on a kings rock/razor fang to troll with high flinch chances by using rock slide
    Just FYI, that doesn't work. Flinch items only work on moves that don't already have a flinch chance. Sorry to burst your bubble...

Anyway, I have a new question about megas--how will they affect monotype? I have two scenarios:

1) Ampharos on a mono-dragon team. With ampharosite, it can become a dragon. But it isn't a dragon in its own right. Is Ampharos with the mega stone legal on a mono-dragon team?

2) Gyarados on a mono-flying team. With gyaradosite, it loses its flying type, but it starts out as a flying-type. So is it legal to use Gyarados with the mega stone on a mono-flying team?

What do you all think? How will type-changing megas affect monotype?
    Life is a funny thing. I have something of a love-hate relationship with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NotQuiteSane42 View Post
    Just FYI, that doesn't work. Flinch items only work on moves that don't already have a flinch chance. Sorry to burst your bubble...

Anyway, I have a new question about megas--how will they affect monotype? I have two scenarios:

1) Ampharos on a mono-dragon team. With ampharosite, it can become a dragon. But it isn't a dragon in its own right. Is Ampharos with the mega stone legal on a mono-dragon team?

2) Gyarados on a mono-flying team. With gyaradosite, it loses its flying type, but it starts out as a flying-type. So is it legal to use Gyarados with the mega stone on a mono-flying team?

What do you all think? How will type-changing megas affect monotype?
    Probably won't be allowed, IMO, simply because of the potential exploitation. Dragon type team? Ampharos gets an easy switch in to Fairy/Ice/Dragon type attacks due to not being a Dragon on the switch. But that's just my opinion. Time will tell if this holds true.

Edit: Though I guess this does kinda violate the ban speculation rule... Eh, I'll risk it, since the question is specifically about the legality of such things.
    Last edited by KillerDraco; 24th November 2013 at 8:05 PM.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

According to Smogon's rules, when using Mega Evolutions on a monotype team, the base form must be eligible for the team type (ie no Mega Charizard X on mono-Dragon), but the Mega Evolution doesn't have to be (ie Mega Gyarados is fine on mono-Flying).

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    i am this close to editing excitable boy's signature to ITS A JOKE for the next 5 months
    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    I should make this the signature of both sogeking & excitable boy

hey guys, ive been sporting mega kangaskhan adamant, and I have to say... im impressed
    dual powerup punch as a makeshift swords dance, dual return for a high base power move with STAB, dual earthquake to take care of those mega ampharoses, and dual sucker punch to handle the uber that everyone loves (mewtwo) including other megas (gengar, alakazam, etc.)

M-Kangaskhan doesn't get dual Earthquake, it is just one. Due to that there are some other options for that slot that can be more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitAngel View Post
    M-Kangaskhan doesn't get dual Earthquake, it is just one. Due to that there are some other options for that slot that can be more useful.
    It gets 2 Earthquakes in Singles. It gets 1 Earthquake in Doubles. Sames goes for other multi-hit moves.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    It gets 2 Earthquakes in Singles. It gets 1 Earthquake in Doubles. Sames goes for other multi-hit moves.
    Hmm, weird, I must have missed that!

I never used kangaskhan in doubles... only in singles and triples so thanks for the info!

I never used kangaskhan in doubles... only in singles and triples so thanks for the info!
    Earthquake would also be one-hit in triples as well to my knowledge. I think parental bond only hits once with spread moves in double/triple battkes regardless of the power. That's just what I think; I'm not too sure though.
    http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=35776

i'm pretty sure i just found the most hilarious pogeymanz are satan discussion ever

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    Earthquake would also be one-hit in triples as well to my knowledge. I think parental bond only hits once with spread moves in double/triple battkes regardless of the power. That's just what I think; I'm not too sure though.
    Fair enough - I have only used M-Kanga in Super Dbl Battles in the Maison, so I thought Parental Bond was limited to contact moves; the more you know!

So far, Mega Kangaskhan has been the strongest mega I have used. I've tried out Aerodactyl, Houndoom, Kangaskhan, Charizard X and Y, Heracross, and Scizor.
    Aerodactyl has been good but not the best choice for a mega, Houndoom wasn't that great, Kangaskhan was fantastic, both Charizards were great, and Scizor was regular Scizor but better.

However, I haven't seen any discussion on one of the ones I have tried, Heracross. While he sports relatively good bulk with 80/115/105 defenses, he also has an absolutely massive attack stat, which sits at an amazing 185. Skill Link, at first, seemed useless, but then I realized that Arm Thrust and Rock Blast were added to his movepool. Pin Missile is much more reliable than Megahorn, Arm Thrust outclasses Close Combat since you don't have that defense drop, and Rock Blast helps deal with flying types. I've been using a Bulk Up set on him, and it's worked wonders. Anyone else have any thoughts on Mega Heracross?
    The only Nesquik you'll ever see in 3D.

I am a proud Catholic.

Shiny Charmander! Hatched via Masuda Method on 3/7/13
    Shiny Corphish! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Skrelp! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Horsea! Chain fished on 10/31/13 (Guess this is my Halloween treat)
    Shiny Frogadier! Random encounter in Friend Safari on 11/2/13 (Modest nature and 31 IV in speed)
    Shiny Tyrunt! Hatched via Masuda Method on 11/9/13

Want my Friend Code? Here it is:
    3DS: 1891-1325-6982
    White 2: 3397 1588 5337 Peter

Mega Heracross may have power to spare, and laughs at Sturdy/Focus Sash/Substitute, but he actually loses Speed on the Mega Evolution, which reduces him to a Wall-Breaking role as he's too slow to sweep. It's very easy to check Mega Heracross since Talonflame and Aegislash, the two most used Pokemon in the current Metagame, are literally everywhere, and can threaten it immensely (Talonflame's priority Brave Bird revenges Mega Heracross in a heartbeat, as well). Mega Heracross is also very susceptible to status, unlike its non-Mega cousin who people won't dare Will-o-Wisp unless they know it's got Moxie.

That said, its Attack is still absolutely absurd, being second only to Mega Mewtwo X and surpassing even Deoxys-A. It's one of those things that could really use a lot of team support, since it'd benefit from paralysis support, or just batter everything in sight since not much can switch into it, paving the way for another Pokemon to sweep.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Mega Heracross may have power to spare, and laughs at Sturdy/Focus Sash/Substitute, but he actually loses Speed on the Mega Evolution, which reduces him to a Wall-Breaking role as he's too slow to sweep. It's very easy to check Mega Heracross since Talonflame and Aegislash, the two most used Pokemon in the current Metagame, are literally everywhere, and can threaten it immensely (Talonflame's priority Brave Bird revenges Mega Heracross in a heartbeat, as well). Mega Heracross is also very susceptible to status, unlike its non-Mega cousin who people won't dare Will-o-Wisp unless they know it's got Moxie.

That said, its Attack is still absolutely absurd, being second only to Mega Mewtwo X and surpassing even Deoxys-A. It's one of those things that could really use a lot of team support, since it'd benefit from paralysis support, or just batter everything in sight since not much can switch into it, paving the way for another Pokemon to sweep.
    I pretty much agree with this, while that power is the most ridiculous thing ever, it's a shame how Heracross is pretty much only a Wall Breaker. However, in my experiences, he does get this job done very well.
    The only Nesquik you'll ever see in 3D.

I am a proud Catholic.

Shiny Charmander! Hatched via Masuda Method on 3/7/13
    Shiny Corphish! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Skrelp! Chain fished on 10/30/13
    Shiny Horsea! Chain fished on 10/31/13 (Guess this is my Halloween treat)
    Shiny Frogadier! Random encounter in Friend Safari on 11/2/13 (Modest nature and 31 IV in speed)
    Shiny Tyrunt! Hatched via Masuda Method on 11/9/13

Want my Friend Code? Here it is:
    3DS: 1891-1325-6982
    White 2: 3397 1588 5337 Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Melevolence View Post
    Well, I have to say the two Mega evo's I am in love with at this point are Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Kangaskhan. My only sour thought on Mega Dactyl is how difficult it can be to make good use of his ability. To give him proper coverage, there are only two moves in the pool I've got for mine that actually 'make contact'. But, he makes a good anti Dragon team member with a higher damage Ice Fang.

Mega Khan is by far one of the more 'OP' I feel. I use her often enough, but the hitting twice and gaining effects of attacks twice is pretty nuts. Power Up punch, though weak, is a damaging Sword's Dance. Dizzy Punch becomes a pretty decent STAB attack with two chances to confuse your opponent. I feel her potential is really untapped at this point. I think she will continue to be my most used Mega at this point.

As for the mechanic itself, I feel its...interesting, to say the least. I know loads of people have compared the concept to 'Digimon' with their 'Divigolution' (Evolution that lasts only for brief periods of time, though enchances stats drastically, and provides stronger attacks). I won't be so vain as to say I was one of those people at first. But when I fist turned Lucario Mega during the storyline, I pretty much felt a childlike glee. The sound effects and visuals when it happens look and feel so good. Their new cry giving me tingles of excitement.

I honestly don't know how it will change the game overall. Its sort of a 'last ditch effort' kind of idea, where you forgoe the usual battle item in order to gain a boost of power which may, or may not, ruin your team (depending on type changes, if applicable). I do like its restricted to one Mega evo per battle. And I really love how it doesn't wear off if you switch out, so you don't basically 'waste' it if you have to change out for type advantage.

Though, I can't help a part of me being a bit disapointed. A lot of the Mega Evos could have been a true evolution to certain Pokémon. I know its a very common argument, but I can't help how I feel about it. Absol, Mawile, basically the basic stage Pokémon, and even Medicham maybe should have gotten full evolutions. I could see temporary evolution for stage 2 Pokémon, since I don't foresee them introducing a stage 3 any time soon.

But, those be my thoughts!
    Aerodactyl has been my main pokemon throughout Pokemon Y. In my experiences 4-Way battling my friends, Mega Aerodactyl has been pretty much my main weapon. I recently changed one of these moves, but my Mega-Dactyl's moveset was all physical moves: Iron Head, Crunch, Fly, Rock Slide. I have had a lot of success with Mega-Dactyl in general, his all physicals moveset has capitalized on his Tough Claws ability by giving his attacks an extra sting, and personally, my Dactyl has High speed EVs, and Aerodactyl already has naturally high speed, so I would typically get first move on all my friends, allowing me to dodge attacks with Fly or hit two pokemon with Rock Slide. I recently changed Crunch to Flamethrower because I want to be more effective on Steel types.

This is my first experience with Aerodactyl and this is the only moveset I've really known him to have. You said you used Mega Aerodactyl? I would be interested to know what moveset you used if you had trouble utilizing his ability?

Quote Originally Posted by SwampertSwag View Post
    This is my first experience with Aerodactyl and this is the only moveset I've really known him to have. You said you used Mega Aerodactyl? I would be interested to know what moveset you used if you had trouble utilizing his ability?
    The issue is that Tough Claws only boosts moves that make contact; not all physical moves do this. Common examples of physical moves that don't make contact are Earthquake, and Rock Slide/Stone Edge, both of which are Aerodactyl's main coverage move. It also lacks a good flying move that makes contact (as fly sucks against other players and is only good in-game). It would've killed to get Acrobatics or Brave Bird. As it stands Aerodactyl's best moves (in terms of coverage) are not boosted, so it's a really subpar Mega. It doesn't help that it's very easily revenge killed by the likes of Scizor/Azumarill/etc.

Long story short Aerodactyl is probably one of the most unimpressive Megas competitively and struggles to earn a spot as the sole Mega on a team.

I've been toying with a Mega Banette, simply because I think it looks pretty cool. The most fun set I've made is sleep talker - sleep talk gets priority with prankster! Its fairly uncommon to see one on wifi, so I can scrape an advantage off of opponents that get confused when a mega immediately uses rest... All in all, it's a pretty underwhelming mega even though it has that impressive attack stat, which bums me out. Running sleep talk makes it too unpredictable for the user, and its definitely a waste of a mega slot.

I'm just starting to get into the competitive aspects of this game but I am already starting to love mega-blastoise on my team. Mega launcher seems like a really underused ability right now, especially since blastoise can become pretty tanky. The current moveset I run on mine is water, dragon, and dark pulse for coverage and yawn to try and force switches. It still runs into trouble with things like manectric, but it has seriously survived way more bad match-ups than I care to count. Just wondering if maybe there's anybody else finding success with him or if I am just an anomaly with an awful idea. Any criticism on how to better use him would be cool too.
    Friend code: 2079-7244-4520
    Dark Safari: Cacturn, Inkay
    Pm if you add

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Competitively, the only mega evolution I've used so far is Manetric, and it makes a fantastic voltturner. Flamethrower really helps it set itself apart from Jolteon, scaring off Ferrothorn and helping it check Aegislash along with intimidate. Intimidate is also great for keeping offensive pressure, as it encourages even more swap outs it might not otherwise.
    While I haven't tried mega manetric yet, looking at its stats and movepool I was wondering the same thing.

Mega Charizard X is the only real mega I've tried so far in extent, and, while not as fast as some other dragons, its added bulk in physical defense and having a neutral weakness to fairy-types has come in handy numerous times, allowing it live long enough to take out tougher opponents. However, often I've had to be weary about Mega-evolving due to opponents carrying something with earthquake.

Sorry, I have not been up to date when it comes to competitive Pokémon lately...

I was wondering whether Mega-Luke had been pushed into Ubers, and if Mega-Alakazam had been too?

Thanks!
    Thanks to Astral Shadow from The Under for the Bravely Default Banner!

Mega Lucario and Mega Alakazam have not been pushed to Ubers yet. Mega Lucario, however, is a serious prospect. Mega Alakazam is actually not as common anymore.

~Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner~

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast