Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gen VI Mega Evolution Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MesopotamianSumerian View Post
    Mega Alakazam is actually not as common anymore.
    Which isn't really that surprising when you think about it. Yeah, it's blazing fast, has a lot of inherent power, and trace is always interesting, but it's still frail as anything and its typing does it no favors. Trace may have a lot of useful situations but without Magic Guard, it has to worry about entry hazards more along with the ever annoying sand/hail and status damage. Plus, since it can't carry any other item, it doesn't actually hit as hard as Life Orb variants of Alakazam (which it can abuse the hell out of due to Magic Guard).

As opposed to Mega Lucario who can do everything regular Lucario can, except better. Frighteningly better too, considering its combination of fierce attacking stats, solid speed, Adaptability, perfect neutral coverage, priority, and multiple boosting options. Good ol' Mega Luke, tip-toeing the line between OU and Uber.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I'm curious if anyone has given mega pinsir a shot. With his great new ability and boosted stats (especially speed), I feel like there's some good potential there. Only thing I could really see being an issue is still having a fire weakness while also gaining an ice and electric weakness alongside a 4x weakness to rock. Still, with the right setup I could see mega pinsir wrecking havoc.

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    As opposed to Mega Lucario who can do everything regular Lucario can, except better. Frighteningly better too, considering its combination of fierce attacking stats, solid speed, Adaptability, perfect neutral coverage, priority, and multiple boosting options. Good ol' Mega Luke, tip-toeing the line between OU and Uber.
    I saw talk on Smogon about him possibly being Suspected/quick banned pretty soon. Ever since Kangaskhan and Gengar got banned, his usage went up significantly. Adaptability Close Combat is nothing to laugh about, especially at +2

So now that Mega Stones are becoming a scary factor, it is really true that previous pokemon have finally reached GODLIKE LEVELS!!!

First: Mewtwo X and Y (now his base stats has even surpassed Arceus. Holy mother******* crap!! That is scary!)
    Second: Mega Blaziken (Ubers last gen. Ubers for good. Too much speed!!!)
    Third: Mega Gengar (With Shadow Tag, that is is just unstoppable for only mega Mawile could go head to head with it. Get the **** out!)
    Fourth: Mega Genghis -erm I mean Kangaskhan (With this Motherly Mongol Ruler Zerg Rushing OU with her powered up son/daughter, Everyone gets no mercy from big mama's wrath. Calling her NU again is just asking to get killed by the real life Khan's virtual counterpart.)

If Mega Lucario goes up, I think his movie title (The Lucario and the Mystery of Mew misinterpretation) would be finally worthy of the status: Legendary.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    If Mega Lucario goes up, I think his movie title (The Lucario and the Mystery of Mew misinterpretation) would be finally worthy of the status: Legendary.
    There has been talk on Smogon about him and Genesect becoming Suspects.

I also agree with Lucario becoming legendary.

If Luke goes bye-bye, Id expect to see a rise in usage of both Mega Pinsir and Mega Mawile.

So now that Mega Stones are becoming a scary factor, it is really true that previous pokemon have finally reached GODLIKE LEVELS!!!

First: Mewtwo X and Y (now his base stats has even surpassed Arceus. Holy mother******* crap!! That is scary!)
    Third: Mega Gengar (With Shadow Tag, that is is just unstoppable for only mega Mawile could go head to head with it. Get the **** out!)
    Fourth: Mega Genghis -erm I mean Kangaskhan (With this Motherly Mongol Ruler Zerg Rushing OU with her powered up son/daughter, Everyone gets no mercy from big mama's wrath. Calling her NU again is just asking to get killed by the real life Khan's virtual counterpart.)

Quite frankly the stat boost on Mewtwo from Y and X aren't really that big of a deal, considering Y is still fragile and LO/etc. variants do more damage by a few points anyway. (Sure with Y you get no recoil but Mewtwo's probably going to be taken out by priority anyway) X certainly is slightly more intimidating thanks to not being easily stomped by common ES antics, or priorty (for the most part) however it has its own problems.

Either way Mewtwo isn't that greatly ridiculous with the increase. (at least not as much as people make it out to be.)
    If I seem like a jerk, at least know it's with good intention.
    "Man is nothing but a miserable pile of secrets." -Dracula SOTN

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtwo_soul View Post
    Quite frankly the stat boost on Mewtwo from Y and X aren't really that big of a deal, considering Y is still fragile and LO/etc. variants do more damage by a few points anyway. (Sure with Y you get no recoil but Mewtwo's probably going to be taken out by priority anyway) X certainly is slightly more intimidating thanks to not being easily stomped by common ES antics, or priorty (for the most part) however it has its own problems.

Either way Mewtwo isn't that greatly ridiculous with the increase. (at least not as much as people make it out to be.)
    I can agree with this. Right now, the best Megas to use in Ubers are Kangaskhan, Blaziken, and Gengar.

Kangaskhan is a monster in ubers. + 2 Return/Sucker Punch Earthquake hits very hard, and there are only a few things that can wall her. The most notable are Lugia and Giratina-A. Fully defensive Groudon is 2HKOd by a +2 Return. Let that sink in for a minute. Don't forget that Kangaskhan is also very bulky. 105/100/100 defenses, even uninvested, allow her to eat unboosted neutral hit pretty well.

Next up is Blaziken. Having already been banned due to his immense sweeping ablilities, Blaziken got even better with a new Mega Evolution. His best gift was his increased speed, allowing him to run an Adamant Nature. With the increased attack, it hits on par with a Jolly Life Orb regular Blaziken. With the increased base speed, Mega Blaziken can run 192 speed EVs, which allows him to hit 284 speed, which at + 2, outspeeds everything in the tier. with 64 EEVs in HP, he can eat up a few neutral hits, and it also allows him to use Flare Blitz more times. Also, he got + 10 to each defense, which allows him to survive an unboosted Extreme Killer Arceus Extreme Speed, and KO back with HJK. The one downfall is that Blaziken relies on recoil moves to deal damage. He is more likely to kill himself than be killed. The best wall to him is Giratina, as he is immune to HJK and resists Flare Blitz. Be aware of Knock off, since it deals major damage.

Lastly, we have Gengar. After receiving the boot from OU, Gengar quickly became one of the most used Megas on the ladder. His base speed is 130, which outspeeds most of the tier. His base 170 Special attack is higher than that of Mewtwo, and Shadow Ball as a STAB is great with all the Psychc types running around. Xerneas, one of the best late game cleaners, is solidly checked by Gengar, as when Xerneas is unboosted, he is KOd by Sludge Wave. Trapping is one of the best things to have, which allows Gengar to get rid of many Physically Bulky Pokemon that are lacking on the special side. The main downfall to Mega Gengar is that he is incredibly frail, and Earthquake can now hit him super effectively.

The two Mewtwo formes, while good, do not provide the sheer support of Gengar, the sweeping capability of Blaziken, or the Extreme Power of Kangaskhan.

Not sure I'd agree about Mega Blaziken. If anything it's only a modest improvement over your standard Blaziken, having just a little more starting speed and a little more bulk (although in all fairness the former becomes of little importance after a Speed Boost or two), and actually dealing less damage than a Life Orb variant. Yes, I'm well aware that the vast majority of Blazikens being used right now are utilizing Blazikenite, but personally I just find it to be an underwhelming improvement over your standard Blaziken, at least compared to how wildly improved Kangaskhan and Gengar are by their Mega Evolutions. But I'm just biased.

Mega Mewtwo X really wishes it had a better physical movepool. I mean, it has a decent amount of options, sure... but it really lacks anything with a lot of power. Relying on things like Brick Break for coverage does it no favors, despite the respectable attack. It could have a lot of surprise value if only it had better attacking options, but it doesn't so it remains somewhat underwhelming.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I wouldn't say Mega Blaziken is an amazing improvement, but it's a satisfactory boost for an already great Pokemon. It's not like they can do much more for it anyway, unless they make a hold item that prevented all forms recoil or something. The slightly added bulk is nice, though the increased attack and speed make up for the slight loss in power from the LO variants. That, and Blaziken is going to be taking a lot of recoil damage, so I prefer Leftovers on any non-Mega variant.

I prefer to play safer with sets, so Mega Blaziken is an appreciated improvement for me. It's no Mega Kangaskhan level of improvement, but to be honest, Blaziken doesn't need that massive of an improvement.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

If anything it's only a modest improvement over your standard Blaziken, having just a little more starting speed and a little more bulk (although in all fairness the former becomes of little importance after a Speed Boost or two), and actually dealing less damage than a Life Orb variant. Yes, I'm well aware that the vast majority of Blazikens being used right now are utilizing Blazikenite, but personally I just find it to be an underwhelming improvement over your standard Blaziken, at least compared to how wildly improved Kangaskhan and Gengar are by their Mega Evolutions.
    I'd imagine that that's mostly caused by Ubers players running Blaziken but choosing not to run Mega Gengar/Mewtwo _/Kangaskhan, and therefore just throwing Blazikenite onto Blaziken; it is only a modest improvement, yes, but if you weren't going to use a different Mega Evolution anyway, there isn't really much to lose by taking that modest improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaelis View Post
    Ridley is literally fanboys.

ORAS' lack of known and current Mega Evolutions is just pure logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    I'd imagine that that's mostly caused by Ubers players running Blaziken but choosing not to run Mega Gengar/Mewtwo _/Kangaskhan, and therefore just throwing Blazikenite onto Blaziken; it is only a modest improvement, yes, but if you weren't going to use a different Mega Evolution anyway, there isn't really much to lose by taking that modest improvement.
    That's true I suppose. My general train of thought was not going Mega Blaziken frees up your mega slot for another, but I suppose there aren't too many Megas who are regularly seen in Ubers right now.

My main point was that Mega Blaziken is not the "godlike improvement" that he was mentioned as being a few posts prior. Honestly I'd go so far as to say Blaziken was probably one of the most unnecessary candidates for a Mega evolution... but eh, he got one regardless, so yay for him.

That's true I suppose. My general train of thought was not going Mega Blaziken frees up your mega slot for another, but I suppose there aren't too many Megas who are regularly seen in Ubers right now.

My main point was that Mega Blaziken is not the "godlike improvement" that he was mentioned as being a few posts prior. Honestly I'd go so far as to say Blaziken was probably one of the most unnecessary candidates for a Mega evolution... but eh, he got one regardless, so yay for him.
    I never said he was godlike, but the improvement is noticable. The added bulk and no need for Life Orb increases his survivability more than youd think

Jolly Blaziken Attack with Life Orb attatched: 440.7 basically 441
    Adamant Mega Blaziken Attack: 460

Mega Blaziken out damages Life Orb Jolly Blaziken. With the increased base speed and the room to run HP investment, there's really no reason to run a normal Blaziken. Ive been using Blaziken on my team since mid Gen 5, and the difference is very noticable.

Granted, its not the extreme improvement of Kanga or Gengar, but saying that its modest is a severe understatement.

The main downfall to Mewtwo X, like said before, is his movepool. none of his moves are overly strong, and if Im not mistaken, his only boosting ove is Bulk Up (please correct me if he gets Swords Dance)

My former statement still stands. The best MEgas to use in ubers, in this order are: Gengar, Blaziken, Kangaskhan, then Mewtwo Y
    Last edited by Cloneblazer12; 28th January 2014 at 8:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
    I never said he was godlike
    And I never said you did either

That aside, I still stand by the statement that the improvement is modest at best. They both fulfill the same role, and it's not like Mega Lucario who does the role so much better that there's no contest. There's no doubt that Mega Blaziken is better than Blaziken in the long run, but I'd go so far as to call it a diminishing return. Blaziken was already good at what it did, so the Mega just makes it slightly better.

But this is just nitpicking, and arguing how modest or not an improvement it is tends to be moot point in the long run. So moving on.

Though if Mega Lucario does end up getting banned, it'd be interesting to see who takes over as the new physical Mega of choice. Mega Charizard X will probably remain a popular choice with its pretty much perfect coverage (with Earthquake disposing of Heatran and at least hitting Azumarill neutrally). Maybe Mega Mawile too, due to its friggin' amazing attack and solid bulk, although its speed and reliance on Sucker Punch to hit faster threats can be a letdown at times.

When you said a few posts above, I assumed you meant me. My bad. (Still Mega Blaziken > Arceus, the true god)

Back on topic. Luke is getting banned. People dont realize that victory requires sacrifice, and that Scarfers faster than him can usually beat him. My vote goes to Mawile and Pinsir. These two are really good. Both have their setbacks, but once their counters are taken care of, they can demolish unprepared teams. (Funy how Cofagrigus completely neuters them) I have run into both of these guys on the ladder, and I find them quite hard to deal with. Pinsir, with Aerialate (SPelling?) is amazing. Sure Rocks neuter him, but he still hits hard with a ~135 BP STAB attack in Return. Mawiles Attack is insane, and Burns/ Cofagrigus are the only way to stop her, as sucker punch gets rid of would be revenge killers.

Could Charizard Y be banned? It's Ninetales on crack basically or Groudon if Groudon was special

This isnt for ban speculation and if it were to be compared to anything it should be a fire version of Kyoge

Back on topic. Luke is getting banned. People dont realize that victory requires sacrifice, and that Scarfers faster than him can usually beat him. My vote goes to Mawile and Pinsir. These two are really good. Both have their setbacks, but once their counters are taken care of, they can demolish unprepared teams. (Funy how Cofagrigus completely neuters them) I have run into both of these guys on the ladder, and I find them quite hard to deal with. Pinsir, with Aerialate (SPelling?) is amazing. Sure Rocks neuter him, but he still hits hard with a ~135 BP STAB attack in Return. Mawiles Attack is insane, and Burns/ Cofagrigus are the only way to stop her, as sucker punch gets rid of would be revenge killers.

Mega Pinsir I feel has enough to both make him a top tier threat and still keep himself in check.

On the positive side, aside from the obvious stat boosts, Flying's actually got pretty good coverage, given only Steel, Rock, and Electric resist it, all of which are handled by Earthquake. Aerilate takes full advantage of it too, turning Return into an absurdly powerful no-drawback attack, while Quick Attack becomes a fantastic priority move. A combination of Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Earthquake, and Return is hard to switch into, and even things that resist both STABs and are immune to Earthquake (like Thundurus or Aerodactyl) tend to be frail enough that they don't want to be eating SD-boosted attacks. It's also got no problems demolishing Mega Venusaur, who's undoubtedly the best defensive Mega.

On the negative side, everyone knows how truly flawed Bug/Flying typing can be. The 4x weakness to (Stealth) Rock is obvious, but additional weaknesses to Fire, Electric, Ice, and Flying make it equally hard to switch in. If it's not carrying Quick Attack faster foes can revenge it pretty easily, and the mere presence of Talonflame is enough to threaten it out.

But, if Talonflame has been removed, and Stealth Rock's off the field, Mega Pinsir will certainly have a fun time. I wouldn't say it's "neutered" by Cofagrigus the same way Mega Mawile is, though. Mega Pinsir might be inconvenienced by losing Aerilate, but it's still got a solid base attack, especially with SD backing it up.

It's about time Game Freak gave some love to the forgotten bug after Scizor and Heracross overshadowed it for years.

Mega Pinsir I feel has enough to both make him a top tier threat and still keep himself in check.

On the positive side, aside from the obvious stat boosts, Flying's actually got pretty good coverage, given only Steel, Rock, and Electric resist it, all of which are handled by Earthquake. Aerilate takes full advantage of it too, turning Return into an absurdly powerful no-drawback attack, while Quick Attack becomes a fantastic priority move. A combination of Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Earthquake, and Return is hard to switch into, and even things that resist both STABs and are immune to Earthquake (like Thundurus or Aerodactyl) tend to be frail enough that they don't want to be eating SD-boosted attacks. It's also got no problems demolishing Mega Venusaur, who's undoubtedly the best defensive Mega.

On the negative side, everyone knows how truly flawed Bug/Flying typing can be. The 4x weakness to (Stealth) Rock is obvious, but additional weaknesses to Fire, Electric, Ice, and Flying make it equally hard to switch in. If it's not carrying Quick Attack faster foes can revenge it pretty easily, and the mere presence of Talonflame is enough to threaten it out.

But, if Talonflame has been removed, and Stealth Rock's off the field, Mega Pinsir will certainly have a fun time. I wouldn't say it's "neutered" by Cofagrigus the same way Mega Mawile is, though. Mega Pinsir might be inconvenienced by losing Aerilate, but it's still got a solid base attack, especially with SD backing it up.

It's about time Game Freak gave some love to the forgotten bug after Scizor and Heracross overshadowed it for years.
    Yeah I'm quite happy Pinsir was given some nice treatment with a mega evolution. Also, I didn't even consider initially the type shift with aerilate, just the 30% power boost. Does that stack with STAB if you use a move like return? Or does STAB only apply to moves that are the pokemon's type before any abilities?

I think each of the mega evolutions seems to serve a positive purpose for each pokemon, even if it changes its stats/strategy around a bit. The only one I'm not sure of is Abomasnow, as it loses a ton of its speed (granted it does not have great speed to begin with) in exchange for both regular and sp. defenses and both regular and sp. attacks. That's nice and all, but I fear the ice/grass combination gives Abomasnow so many weaknesses, coupled with its only average health, does not do the pokemon a whole lot of good. Granted, I never used abomasnow before, so much of what I said is speculation. Perhaps it could do well on a trick room team.

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” -Albert Camus

Mega Pinsir is strong but not OP. As with most teams it is what you put in place to take this thing on. I do know that if you don't prepare for the likes of Mega Pinsir, Lucario, Medicham and others then they will pick your team off pretty sharply

How many people like mega Aerodactyl? I think it's great, but not many player use it... Is there something wrong with Mega Aerodactyl?

Mega Heracross looks ugly for me. It's looking like it wearing panties or diapers. Never used it, though.
    Pokemon SoulSilver Badge Quest
    Current hunt: Slowpoke well

I have claimed Zebstrika! Thunder zebra power!
    I have also claimed Sacred Grove theme from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess!
    In-game name:Annabel
    Friend-code: 4957-3860-9818

The problem with Aerodactyl is that Tough Claws isn't very useful for it. It's most common moves aren't boosted by it, and the moves that are boosted are rather weak otherwise, like Wing Attack and Aerial Ace. It's one of the situations where you're better off using a Life Orb, since it generally outdamages the Mega, and frees the Mega slot for something else.

Also, Mega Heracross looks okay. Its appearance is based off of real stag beetles, like this Hercules Beetle, which is likely what the motivation for the design came from. Hence the monstrous 185 base attack stat likely referencing the Hercules Beetle's namesake. That said, Mega Heracross looks like fun. Arm Thrust make only be as strong as Brick Break, but Pin Missile, Rock Blast and Bullet Seed all look like fun additions to play around with. I need to try one out myself, actually.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Quote Originally Posted by Psynergy View Post
    The problem with Aerodactyl is that Tough Claws isn't very useful for it. It's most common moves aren't boosted by it, and the moves that are boosted are rather weak otherwise, like Wing Attack and Aerial Ace. It's one of the situations where you're better off using a Life Orb, since it generally outdamages the Mega, and frees the Mega slot for something else.

Also, Mega Heracross looks okay. Its appearance is based off of real stag beetles, like this Hercules Beetle, which is likely what the motivation for the design came from. Hence the monstrous 185 base attack stat likely referencing the Hercules Beetle's namesake. That said, Mega Heracross looks like fun. Arm Thrust make only be as strong as Brick Break, but Pin Missile, Rock Blast and Bullet Seed all look like fun additions to play around with. I need to try one out myself, actually.
    Arm thrust comes in at 102.5 base power with stab, making Close Combat better. Mega Heracross is a cool mega, but its often to slow to effectively sweep making it a wall breaker

Quote Originally Posted by McDanger View Post
    Arm thrust comes in at 102.5 base power with stab, making Close Combat better. Mega Heracross is a cool mega, but its often to slow to effectively sweep making it a wall breaker
    I thought it was 112.5 (75 x 1.5) base power with STAB? Either way, yeah, Close Combat is definitely better. Mega Heracross may not be the best Mega around, but it definitely looks like fun to try, especially with Sticky Web.

I feel like mega manectric is an underrated threat. It's fast, and it has intimidate. I come across them from time to time, and I can tell you the they are very strong. Between intimidate and his speed, as well as access to Flamethower, he is easily able to take on many threats. The one thing the stops him from being a top tier threat I feel is his above average at best special attack. Thee are some non metas that are on par, and it's really not all that impressive tbh.

I feel like mega manectric is an underrated threat. It's fast, and it has intimidate. I come across them from time to time, and I can tell you the they are very strong. Between intimidate and his speed, as well as access to Flamethower, he is easily able to take on many threats. The one thing the stops him from being a top tier threat I feel is his above average at best special attack. Thee are some non metas that are on par, and it's really not all that impressive tbh.
    Its bulk isn't doing it any favors either. 70/80/80 defenses are a bit on the frail side, even though it does resist the common Bullet Punches and Brave Birds, and have intimidate to buffer said physical threats, it lacks many other notable resistances, making it harder to switch in. Still though, it could make a decent Pivot with access to Volt Turn and Intimidate, much like Landorus-T. The aforementioned lack of resistances and bulk does sort of hinder it in this role, especially given it doesn't have any immunities (except to Thunder Wave? Hah) to help it switch in.

A niche Mega for sure, and one who certainly isn't going to be sweeping teams all by itself.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast