Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesect Discussion Thread (Pokebank Gen 6)

Default Genesect Discussion Thread (Pokebank Gen 6)

REMEMBER: PER SEREBII'S RULES, NO SPECULATION ON WHETHER OR NOT THIS THING SHOULD BE BANNED. Thank you.

Base Stats
    71/120/95/120/95/99
    Abilities
    Download (Boosts the users Attack or Special Attack upon switching in, based on the opponents Defence and Special Defence.)
    Typing
    Bug/Steel
    Current Tier
    Pokebank OU

Notable Moves
    U-Turn
    Iron Head
    Bug Buzz
    Flamethrower
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    Thunder
    Flash Cannon
    Shadow Claw
    Shift Gear
    Rock Polish
    X-Scissor
    Blaze Kick
    ExtremeSpeed
    Techno Blast

Ah, Genesect. The infamous Bug/Steel robot bug who came out of nowhere back in Generation V to dominate the metagame as one of the best revenge killers and scouts around. Whether he was hammering away at his opponents with powerful U-Turns, or setting up Rock Polishes and sweeping away, this scientific experiment gone horribly wrong left an unforgettable mark on the metagame. Even after his ban to the Ubers tier, he still managed to carve a name for himself as one of the best checks to some of the top threats around.

Now, in the 6th Generation, our Pokemon terminator has returned, and although he has gained almost no new weapons, and even lost his resistance to Ghost and Dark attacks, he serves as a potent check to many of the early metagame's top threats.

Share your favourite Genesect sets, counters, teammates, set-ups, etc. here, or just generally discuss how much *** this thing is going to kick this time around.

I'll start off by throwing out my physical Scarf scout set.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
    Naive - Download
    252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Sp. Atk
    -U-Turn
    -Ice Beam
    -Iron Head
    -Shadow Claw / Explosion

This set breaks away from B2/W2's sets to focus more on raw physical attack, a trait I see as more valuable this generation thanks to the presence of specially defensive behemoths such as Goodra, Assaunt Vest tanks, and the plethora of new Fairies. U-Turn is still his primary weapon, taking chunks off of anything that doesn't resist it and allowing a switch to a much more favourable matchup. Ice Beam utilizes Sp. Atk boosts to beat physical walls like Hippowdon and Gliscor, as well as hitting Dragons and Landorus for some solid damage. Iron Head gives him a secondary STAB option that serves as a potent check to weakened Tyranitar and Fairy types. The last move is a matter of preference. Shadow Claw gives him decent coverage as well as something to throw at Aegislash on the switch-in, or Explosion just lets him go full out nuclear and potentially wipe out an otherwise hazardous threat.

So, any thoughts or comments on our favourite robot death bug?

Last edited by Divine Retribution; 27th December 2013 at 4:10 PM.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

Based on my experience with Genesect in OU, 24 HP / 252 Att / 8 SpA / 224 Spe works better.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

genesect wont be pretty good now since they have mega scizor

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_dog97 View Post
    ... what is this crap.

Genesect and Mega Scizor play two completely different roles. All they share is typing. Genesect uses a devilish Choice Scarf pivot/revenge killer and a speedy Shift Gear sweeping set. Megazor uses a bulky Swords Dance set. The two cannot be compared.
    http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=35776

i'm pretty sure i just found the most hilarious pogeymanz are satan discussion ever

swords dance, bullet punch, and bug bite is all scizor needs
    you have to give genesect a flash drive to tweak its techno blast (which is sorta like arceus judgment)

There is no point in using Techno Blast. Flamethrower and BoltBeam are stronger anyway. Genesect has entirely different functions and each have their flaws and benefits. Typing is all they share. As for Swords Dance, Genesect has Shift Gear, which is basically nuclear Dragon Dance.

i'm pretty sure i just found the most hilarious pogeymanz are satan discussion ever

aye, shift gear is good. but flamethrower are both genesect AND scizor's weakness
    since gamefreak finally did it right and made a fire starter who is faster, stronger, AND has a higher SpD... that's all you really need to defeat genesect

The issue being that Delphox is basically never seen and you're saying that Scizor is better than genesect because they both have a Fire weakness. Your logic makes absolutely no sense here. Again, they are equally useful in different roles and we should stop comparing the two.

I use Genesect as a Shift Gear sweeper myself. It tends to do a ton of damage when set up about once.

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    The issue being that Delphox is basically never seen and you're saying that Scizor is better than genesect because they both have a Fire weakness. Your logic makes absolutely no sense here. Again, they are equally useful in different roles and we should stop comparing the two.

I use Genesect as a Shift Gear sweeper myself. It tends to do a ton of damage when set up about once.
    It's best not to take anything he says seriously...

I've always been a sucker for the classic Choice Scarf Genesect. His speedy U-Turn has always been great for Scouting, it revenge kills like a champ due to the coverage it wields, and when things have been subsequently weakened, the combination of Scarf's speed and the inherent power he commands (especially if you net the appropriate download boost) makes him hard to stop. Such a fun set to use.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Cause it will be a pain on my to plurge the thread of the spam posts and leaves it open for a repeat, i`m just going to destroy the argument

No, I feel like I`m looking at smogons uncharted terratory, comparing garchomp and zygard. Scizor and genesect are as different as they come, scizor either swords dances and sweeps with bullet punch, or has a choice band and, you guessed it bullet punches, while genesect does whatever the hell it wants with its high offensive stats, good speed, massive movepool, and amazing ability.

you have to give genesect a flash drive to tweak its techno blast (which is sorta like arceus judgment)
    Why would you even do that, techno blast is trash, outclassed by flamethrower, ice beam, and thunderbolt, which allow it to use another item, like a LO to abuse its massive offensive ability. And yup thats all scizor needs, it also needs the opponent to not carry a fire, fast electric, fast water with will o wisp, or a steel

aye, shift gear is good. but flamethrower are both genesect AND scizor's weakness
    since gamefreak finally did it right and made a fire starter who is faster, stronger, AND has a higher SpD... that's all you really need to defeat genesect
    Shift gear allows genesect to do scizors job arguable better, having priority, speed, a more powerful steel move, and still has its massive coverage, as well as a physical fire move so it can actually do something to steels without a recoil, really making the only same thing to use being heatran as genesect can smash waters and fires with extreme speed. This also lets it avoid being checked by talonflame, a thing scizor would die for, as well as volcarona and infernape.

Delphox is trash, genesect takes a dump on it with u turn while scizor just sits there and takes flamethrower, tho thats how it is with any fire vs scizor. I`m only saying this once, delphox is bad, its nothing special, outpaced by a lot of threats, having sub par sp attack for OU, outclassed by heatran, who has better typing, movepool, and bulk, volcarona, who has more sp attack, quiver dance, and a better movepool, infernape, who can do nearly anything, victini, who has the same typing, better coverage, better bulk, and more use. All the listed pokemon where OU, yet where was genesect.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    Based on my experience with Genesect in OU, 24 HP / 252 Att / 8 SpA / 224 Spe works better.
    Hmm, duly noted.

Does Mega Scizor have Download? Does Mega Scizor have a usable Speed? Can Mega Scizor wield a Choice Scarf? Can Mega Scizor use Special sets?

No.
    Technoblast is a terrible move. IIRC even Douse Drive Techno Blast used to be outdamaged by Hidden Power (Water). Obviously after the Hidden Power nerf that's not true anymore, but you're still sacrificing your item slot for a horrible move that's outclassed by Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, and Ice Beam respectively. Even with Douse Drive, IMO you're still better off running Hidden Power (Ground).

Also seconding basically everything mcdanger said.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

Quote Originally Posted by mcdanger View Post
    Cause it will be a pain on my to plurge the thread of the spam posts and leaves it open for a repeat, i`m just going to destroy the argument

No, I feel like I`m looking at smogons uncharted terratory, comparing garchomp and zygard. Scizor and genesect are as different as they come, scizor either swords dances and sweeps with bullet punch, or has a choice band and, you guessed it bullet punches, while genesect does whatever the hell it wants with its high offensive stats, good speed, massive movepool, and amazing ability.

Why would you even do that, techno blast is trash, outclassed by flamethrower, ice beam, and thunderbolt, which allow it to use another item, like a LO to abuse its massive offensive ability. And yup thats all scizor needs, it also needs the opponent to not carry a fire, fast electric, fast water with will o wisp, or a steel

Shift gear allows genesect to do scizors job arguable better, having priority, speed, a more powerful steel move, and still has its massive coverage, as well as a physical fire move so it can actually do something to steels without a recoil, really making the only same thing to use being heatran as genesect can smash waters and fires with extreme speed. This also lets it avoid being checked by talonflame, a thing scizor would die for, as well as volcarona and infernape.

Delphox is trash, genesect takes a dump on it with u turn while scizor just sits there and takes flamethrower, tho thats how it is with any fire vs scizor. I`m only saying this once, delphox is bad, its nothing special, outpaced by a lot of threats, having sub par sp attack for OU, outclassed by heatran, who has better typing, movepool, and bulk, volcarona, who has more sp attack, quiver dance, and a better movepool, infernape, who can do nearly anything, victini, who has the same typing, better coverage, better bulk, and more use. All the listed pokemon where OU, yet where was genesect.
    Actually no, you are judging delphox because of its weaknesses. Delphox trumps any other fire starter that comes before it... anyway... genesect is a freak of nature with its high asf base stat total, I agree, with you 100% (plus, you will have extra options on using your mega stone on something else) but, genesect is legendary that even deoxys A will have a tough time with it unless it learns a fire type move that im not aware of
    Last edited by ghost_dog97; 22nd November 2013 at 5:40 AM.

Dude, big red letters in the first post:

"REMEMBER: PER SEREBII'S RULES, NO SPECULATION ON WHETHER OR NOT THIS THING SHOULD BE BANNED. Thank you."

3DS Friend Code: 4468-1031-4570

The problem i see with Genesack is the Download that make him the Best Revenge Killer in this game to date. It Like i switch in i get that +1 Atk or +1 SpA Then what ever you bring into counter I'm gonna Put a Dent into it unless is Heatran

Actually no, you are judging delphox because of its weaknesses. Delphox trumps any other fire starter that comes before it... anyway... genesect is a freak of nature with its high asf base stat total, I agree, with you 100% (plus, you will have extra options on using your mega stone on something else) but, genesect is legendary that even deoxys A will have a tough time with it unless it learns a fire type move that im not aware of
    "It trumps them all"

*Blaziken looks down from Uber's judgingly*

gnesect now has Fell Stinger

is it uber yet???????

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    i am this close to editing excitable boy's signature to ITS A JOKE for the next 5 months
    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    I should make this the signature of both sogeking & excitable boy

Apparently, Technoblast now has 120 BP. With that 100% accuracy, it's pretty usable.

Techno Blast is a tricky case. On the one hand, 120 BP now makes it slightly stronger than a Life Orb-boosted elemental beam of the same type (which sit at 117). On the other hand, you have to ask if it's worth giving up the 30% boost to all of your other moves. Sets attempting to bluff a Choice Scarf might see use from the move. The sprites change with the different Drives, but Techno Blast is such a rare sight that you might get away with it anyway, and having a 120 BP coverage move could possibly outweigh the occasional power boost from the Expert Belt. There's also Douse Drive Techno Blast, which doesn't have any real competition from a move of its type (although its main target, Heatran, is still hit harder by a Life Orb-boosted HP Ground). I don't expect the Drives to be used that much given the raw usefulness of other items on Genesect's sets, but at least now I could see a good argument for it on a Choice bluff sort of set.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Techno Blast is a tricky case. On the one hand, 120 BP now makes it slightly stronger than a Life Orb-boosted elemental beam of the same type (which sit at 117). On the other hand, you have to ask if it's worth giving up the 30% boost to all of your other moves. Sets attempting to bluff a Choice Scarf might see use from the move. The sprites change with the different Drives, but Techno Blast is such a rare sight that you might get away with it anyway, and having a 120 BP coverage move could possibly outweigh the occasional power boost from the Expert Belt. There's also Douse Drive Techno Blast, which doesn't have any real competition from a move of its type (although its main target, Heatran, is still hit harder by a Life Orb-boosted HP Ground). I don't expect the Drives to be used that much given the raw usefulness of other items on Genesect's sets, but at least now I could see a good argument for it on a Choice bluff sort of set.
    The issue I have with that is that Genesect is capable of hitting a very sizable portion of the metagame super-effectively. Even on a bluffScarf set I think Expert Belt would be more useful as it gives more overall power than any Drive does.

Heatran gets O/2HKO'd by HP Ground depending on the set (the combo of Thunderbolt + HP Ground 2HKOs even Air Balloon Sp. Def Tran), so if you really want to lure Heatran with your Genesect HP Ground is always the way to go.

~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Retribution View Post
    The issue I have with that is that Genesect is capable of hitting a very sizable portion of the metagame super-effectively. Even on a bluffScarf set I think Expert Belt would be more useful as it gives more overall power than any Drive does.

Heatran gets O/2HKO'd by HP Ground depending on the set (the combo of Thunderbolt + HP Ground 2HKOs even Air Balloon Sp. Def Tran), so if you really want to lure Heatran with your Genesect HP Ground is always the way to go.
    tho water drive techno blast hits for the same damage if its choiced and requires less prediction. IMO techno blast is good as a suprise, hits stuff as gibbs pointed out harder then the element moves with a LO, especially since it now has an effective hydro pump with 100 accuracy, making its number one check an easy win. This will probably push genesect a little to far, i would be to surprised if its an early suspect.

252 SpA Genesect Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 170-202 (44 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252 SpA Genesect Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 236-278 (73 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Retribution View Post

Yeah, it honestly just depends on the moves you need. There are several Pokemon such as Heatran, Sylveon, Terrakion, and Volcarona that Genesect doesn't hit super effectively with any of its common special moves, so a Douse Drive Techno Boost or something can be useful, but you'll probably be better off with an Expert Belt. Still, at least it's nowhere near as terrible an option as it was last generation. In BW, Techno Blast was embarrassingly outclassed by the elemental beams, and even LO HP Water would hit harder than a Douse Drive Techno Blast. Nowadays, Techno Blast overpowers even a Life Orb-boosted elemental beam, so at least it isn't blatantly inferior to its individual counterparts. There are better options now 9 times out of 10, but it's not a bad idea at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdanger View Post
    tho water drive techno blast hits for the same damage if its choiced and requires less prediction. IMO techno blast is good as a suprise, hits stuff as gibbs pointed out harder then the element moves with a LO, especially since it now has an effective hydro pump with 100 accuracy, making its number one check an easy win. This will probably push genesect a little to far, i would be to surprised if its an early suspect.

252 SpA Genesect Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 170-202 (44 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252 SpA Genesect Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 236-278 (73 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Life Orb Genesect Hidden Power Ground vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 244-291 (63.2 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252+ SpA Life Orb Genesect Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 92-109 (23.8 - 28.2%) -- 94.1% chance to 4HKO

As I said, if luring Heatran is your sole intention don't waste your time with a Drive. Thunderbolt+Hidden Power Ground has like a 99.2% chance to 2HKO Air Balloon Heatran, all other Heatran are 2HKO'd by Hidden Power (Ground). Douse Drive Techno Blast misses a 2HKO on Sp. Def Tran which is all it needs to toast you with Lava Plume. It might be a decent gimmick to use on a Rain team but that's all it is in my eyes is a gimmick.

~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    gnesect now has Fell Stinger

is it uber yet???????
    Fell Stinger is pretty gimmicky. Although a unTauntable +2 is nice, Base 30 Power rarely kills anything, not to also mention Bug is a pretty bad offensive typing when considering Resistances, Neutralities, and Weaknesses.

Quote Originally Posted by thesablelite View Post
    Apparently, Technoblast now has 120 BP. With that 100% accuracy, it's pretty usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Yeah, it honestly just depends on the moves you need. There are several Pokemon such as Heatran, Sylveon, Terrakion, and Volcarona that Genesect doesn't hit super effectively with any of its common special moves, so a Douse Drive Techno Boost or something can be useful, but you'll probably be better off with an Expert Belt. Still, at least it's nowhere near as terrible an option as it was last generation. In BW, Techno Blast was embarrassingly outclassed by the elemental beams, and even LO HP Water would hit harder than a Douse Drive Techno Blast. Nowadays, Techno Blast overpowers even a Life Orb-boosted elemental beam, so at least it isn't blatantly inferior to its individual counterparts. There are better options now 9 times out of 10, but it's not a bad idea at all.
    Honestly, Techno Blast is inevitably ruined by the sprite's aesthetic changes (where its back changes color based on drive). This makes any form of a lure set with the Drives completely useless.

Point in case, Techno Blast is still pretty bad. For negligible power, you lose not only overall power with items, but Lure potential and surprise factor.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

This makes any form of a lure set with the Drives completely useless.
    I'm not arguing that lure sets are useful...but people look a the drives? I know I certainly don't keep an eye out for it.

HP ground is still more appreciated though, since it can run an item(a good one, I mean).
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Douse Drive Techno Blast actually has a bit of use since there's honestly no competition for a Water-type attack on Genesect. Heatran isn't the only thing you can use the attack for. If you can net a Download boost, you can OHKO Volcarona and Terrakion (two of the better switch-ins to Genesect in BW2) on the switch, which HP Ground fails to do. You still 2HKO specially defensive Heatran if you catch it on the switch, and offensive Heatran is similarly OHKO'd. A +1 Life Orb HP Ground only has a 12.5% chance to OHKO specially defensive Heatran (which is really risky), so it's not like HP Ground has a huge advantage in KOing specially defensive Heatran without having to predict the switch. If you're running Genesect on a Rain team (Genesect is honestly one of the best Pokemon for Rain teams out there), Techno Blast becomes a really powerful coverage move. Honestly, the Water-type coverage is just really good in general. It also comes with the bonus of not inflicting 10% recoil with each attack while having a better shot at OHKOing things like 4/0 Excadrill and 192/0 Talonflame than an Expert Belt elemental beam could ever hope for. It's definitely something that I wouldn't put past Other Options if I were writing the analysis, but it's nowhere near as bad as it's being made out to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast