Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 326

Thread: Battling on Thin Ice! (809)

  1. #251
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    569

    Default

    Hey Pikachu used Thunderbolt to finish a major battle! It's been a long time since that's happened.

  2. #252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Check your story there bro, the writers have been doing it since Kanto so his reasoning is justified.
    Pretty sure there are new writers. If I'm wrong though, it's a different story.

  3. #253
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Somewhere on the West Coast
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    People are saying there's a new director. I'm not sure, though.

  4. #254
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokefandt View Post
    Hey Pikachu used Thunderbolt to finish a major battle! It's been a long time since that's happened.
    I kind of expected Electro Ball to take a backseat now that it's lost its "new move of the generation" gimmick. I'm glad they gave it a unique use in this battle, there are no new strong electric moves for Pika to learn in gen 6 nor does he get Fairy attacks and if he's gonna be stuck with two ranged electric moves for another 3-4 years they better differentiate them from each other somehow. At this point Pikachu's options for new moves are pretty much re-learning Volttackle or getting something stupid for the sake of learning a move. I kind of wished they just said screw it and ret-conned Electro Ball and have him know Volttackle in XY ep 1 for no in universe reason lol.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

    Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

  5. #255
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sagitarrius A*
    Posts
    2,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    I kind of expected Electro Ball to take a backseat now that it's lost its "new move of the generation" gimmick. I'm glad they gave it a unique use in this battle, there are no new strong electric moves for Pika to learn in gen 6 nor does he get Fairy attacks and if he's gonna be stuck with two ranged electric moves for another 3-4 years they better differentiate them from each other somehow. At this point Pikachu's options for new moves are pretty much re-learning Volttackle or getting something stupid for the sake of learning a move. I kind of wished they just said screw it and ret-conned Electro Ball and have him know Volttackle in XY ep 1 for no in universe reason lol.
    Volt Tackle made a lot more sense in Pikachu's moveset than Electro Ball, IMO.

    I always wanted to see Pikachu learn Light Screen...it would be a great defensive move. If Countershield isn't coming back, they could replace Electro Ball with Light Screen.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

  6. #256
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Volt Tackle made a lot more sense in Pikachu's moveset than Electro Ball, IMO.

    I always wanted to see Pikachu learn Light Screen...it would be a great defensive move. If Countershield isn't coming back, they could replace Electro Ball with Light Screen.
    Ash being defensive?! What blasphemy is this!

  7. #257
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RePoisn View Post
    Pretty sure there are new writers. If I'm wrong though, it's a different story.
    Great then the new writers are just as bad as the old ones, your point?? Doesn't change the fact that Pikachu or another pokemon was spammed every single region except Hoenn where the screen time was split between four pokemon.

    Kanto: Pikachu/Bulbasaur(??)
    Johto: Pikachu/Cyndaquil
    Hoenn: Pikachu/Grovyle/Swellow/Corphish
    Sinnoh: Infernape
    Unova: Pikachu/Mijumaru/Pignite
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  8. #258
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Sagitarrius A*
    Posts
    2,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    Ash being defensive?! What blasphemy is this!
    He was defensive when he used Countershield back in DP...still don't get why he got rid of that. That could have been his signature move.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

  9. #259
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    He was defensive when he used Countershield back in DP...still don't get why he got rid of that. That could have been his signature move.
    It could also be used as an attack. Light screen can't.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Great then the new writers are just as bad as the old ones, your point?? Doesn't change the fact that Pikachu or another pokemon was spammed every single region except Hoenn where the screen time was split between four pokemon.

    Kanto: Pikachu/Bulbasaur(??)
    Johto: Pikachu/Cyndaquil
    Hoenn: Pikachu/Grovyle/Swellow/Corphish
    Sinnoh: Infernape
    Unova: Pikachu/Mijumaru/Pignite
    I fail to see why you would despise Unova as there isn't much of a difference between 3 and 4 spotlight hoggers. Anyways you forgot snivy

  10. #260
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Volt Tackle made a lot more sense in Pikachu's moveset than Electro Ball, IMO.

    I always wanted to see Pikachu learn Light Screen...it would be a great defensive move. If Countershield isn't coming back, they could replace Electro Ball with Light Screen.
    Pikachu has only learned moves that act as a powerful new finisher though. Him getting Light screen would be interesting but kind of...lame if you get what I mean.

    At this point I'm just relieved out of my mind that he didn't learn Nuzzle LOL.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

    Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

  11. #261
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CupidKirby View Post
    I was just sitting at home with some tea, enjoying my daily dose of pokemon fandom absurdity. Because honestly, it's so addicting to read. Participate in, not so much but even I have to draw the line somewhere. I don't care if people hate Pikachu's guts. We can all despise aspects of the show if we want because you're right, the anime isn't perfect. It makes talking about it more interesting. But calling the writers who make it for us crap throwers, mindless, improper, unintelligent, lazy swines (you want me to keep going? Because I've been keeping track), and claiming you could do better than them when you aren't even educated in the first thing that goes into television making for such a worldwide popular name is a concrete example of why politicians exist. Don't stop stalking the show or stop posting if you don't want to. But please, cut this disrespect out. Unlike Pikachu, the writers are real people working a lot harder for this show than any of us. They haven't done anything wrong other than having a different opinion.

    Honestly. Manga writers of other fandoms rarely have to deal with this **** but we get it all the time.
    Firstly, not all of those words you quotes are ones I used. I don't use that first term anyway and I don't see why I would use a random word like 'improper'. My issues with the writers are due to the decisions they make. Like in this episode, for example. It would have taken no more effort for these 'poor, hard-working writers' to let Fletchling win the battle, but for whatever reason, they decided to glorify Pikachu, as though it actually needed any more glorification.

    The absurd logic you use, that people who hate the way Pikachu's dominance in the Anime robs Pokemon in each succesive generation of their screentime and their Gym wins somehow automatically 'hate' Pikachu. I have never said that, not least because it isn't true. I get annoyed by it, sure, but what sort of a person hates a fictional character? I mean, seriously.

    You might argue why, as some people already have, I bother to post about an Anime I no longer watch. Apparently, deciding not to watch the Anime due to being frustrated with the poor choices made by Anime staff means I have no right to comment on it on the forums. Its almost as though watching said poor choices being made on-screen would give me more right to talk than simply reading about the same poor choices on-screen, as thought there was some substantial difference. I know this is not what you personally said but I thought it was worth saying since I have even received abusive PM's about this.

    I know I get way too worked up about it, and am too rude about the writers. People might argue why a 21 year old gets so annoyed about a cartoon for kids. Pokemon was my childhood! I watched this anime for years and am sick of stupid decisions being made by the writers for no obvious reason which make the Anime worse. You said I have no idea whatsoever about how to make an Anime successful. You might be right that I haven't any professional experience in writing or animation or other things like that. However, it doesn't take a genius to see that the decisions these guys make, be they the writers or other Anime staff are totally wacky at times.

    Here are some examples of mistakes I feel the writers made in BW:

    -Pikachu winning 3 times in the league, with only Pignite and Krookodile winning properly other than Pikachu (not including draws or non-shown wins). I believe both of them got 2 wins each. Rather than those 4 wins being given to 4 different Pokemon of the 6 that got no wins, a few dominated.

    -Several rounds were skipped in the league, for the sake of several fillers and the DA arc which had virtually no events of consequence whatsoever. Do we watch the Anime for the big tournament at the end of a saga, or to watch unevolved Dragons chase balloons and Ampharos' that we will never see again learn a move we've seen before? This is perhaps the most outright ludicrous, and yes, stupid decision the writers made, since they rush over what should be the best part of the show for episodes that essentially add nothing to the plot.

    -Some blaringly misplaced fillers really annoyed people, such as the Axew-filler mid-league.

    -Hardly any of Ash's team (3/9) evolved fully.

    -Ash's 6vs 5 loss against Cameron, far more humiliating than Tobias in the Sinnoh league.

    - The Roxie gym battle was atrocious, Ash barely winning a 6 vs 3.

    -Ash's gym battle record was dominated by Pikachu and Pignite and to a degree, Oshawott. This meant some Pokemon got no wins at all.

    -Some Pokemon, *cough* Oshawott *cough* appeared all the time and yet poor Palpitoad was treated like a leper that had to be locked away from society, and never appear.

    This isn't just a case of me having a strop whenever things don't go the way I want them to, this is me being genuinely concerned that XY will end up a big waste of potential like BW was. Take my concerns in the light of how BW turned out to be and you will see why I get so annoyed, I hope.
    On Team:,:656:,:661:.

    Oak's Lab: x30
    ()
    In Training:
    Released:

    Advice to the writers for the 6th Gen:
    1. Give a fair distribution of screentime and battles- No Pika-Hogging.
    2. Give Ash as many Pokemon as you will bother with, and no more.
    3. Evolution is nothing to be scared of. Especially evolve Starters, please!

  12. #262
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Somewhere on the West Coast
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by naughtynun View Post
    You might argue why, as some people already have, I bother to post about an Anime I no longer watch. Apparently, deciding not to watch the Anime due to being frustrated with the poor choices made by Anime staff means I have no right to comment on it on the forums. Its almost as though watching said poor choices being made on-screen would give me more right to talk than simply reading about the same poor choices on-screen, as thought there was some substantial difference. I know this is not what you personally said but I thought it was worth saying since I have even received abusive PM's about this.
    I feel that if you said this earlier, at least I would understand your logic. Because it seemed to take a little while for you to give this explanation.

    Edit: And people were asking that question constantly, so...

  13. #263
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Oblivion's Wrath View Post
    I feel that if you said this earlier, at least I would understand your logic. Because it seemed to take a little while for you to give this explanation.

    Edit: And people were asking that question constantly, so...
    Except he did...

    Also seriously since when is it rule that you have to watch the anime to comment on it?? Kira didn't watch like more then half of BW yet no one said a word to her.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  14. #264
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Somewhere on the West Coast
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Except he did...

    Also seriously since when is it rule that you have to watch the anime to comment on it?? Kira didn't watch like more then half of BW yet no one said a word to her.
    Really? I must've missed something then, since I've been following this conversation since day one. Sorry, new member here, apparently I'm incompetent!

    I don't think that's a rule as far as I can tell. Although, I think people are angry because he/she (can't tell the gender yet, again, new member here, sorry!) is being really aggressive about the criticism, even going as far as to call Pikachu "the rat" without giving at least one aspect of the episode he/she liked, just so it doesn't appear he/she is being biased in his/her opinions. I personally would've been okay with the criticism if he/she didn't call Pikachu a rat, because in all honesty, that seems to overstep boundaries of absolute hatred. Just because Pikachu got two wins in a row in the rematch doesn't give anyone a right to call it a rat. "Hogger" or something similar would be better in my opinion.

    Even though I enjoyed the episode and thought that the rematch was fair throughout, I think everyone here has a right to criticize, since not every episode of the anime isn't gonna be perfect. As long as we don't go overboard with the rage, though, since everyone else's opinions are everyone else's opinions and we gotta respect them.

  15. #265
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Oblivion's Wrath View Post
    Really? I must've missed something then, since I've been following this conversation since day one. Sorry, new member here, apparently I'm incompetent!

    I don't think that's a rule as far as I can tell. Although, I think people are angry because he/she (can't tell the gender yet, again, new member here, sorry!) is being really aggressive about the criticism, even going as far as to call Pikachu "the rat" without giving at least one aspect of the episode he/she liked, just so it doesn't appear he/she is being biased in his/her opinions. I personally would've been okay with the criticism if he/she didn't call Pikachu a rat, because in all honesty, that seems to overstep boundaries of absolute hatred. Just because Pikachu got two wins in a row in the rematch doesn't give anyone a right to call it a rat. "Hogger" or something similar would be better in my opinion.

    Even though I enjoyed the episode and thought that the rematch was fair throughout, I think everyone here has a right to criticize, since not every episode of the anime isn't gonna be perfect. As long as we don't go overboard with the rage, though, since everyone else's opinions are everyone else's opinions and we gotta respect them.
    Honestly people are just made cuz he is saying what a lot of us feel but just don't say lol. He is fed up with Pikachu and it just came out all at once. I'm still called a troll to this day cuz of my opinion of Pikachu.

    I have no problem with Pikachu if he is done right, but him being in my face 24/7 plus hogging a lot of the battles is too much.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

  16. #266
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    8,407

    Default

    I honestly don't have an issue with Pikachu starring in this one at all. Fletchling got a win in the first match and Pikachu got nothing. Overall it was Fletchling: 1, Pikachu: 2. Not bad at all considering, Taillow, Starly, and Pidove got squat. I'm guessing Froakie will get the next gym and then Fletchinder the next two afterwards. Pikachu will likely not be starring anytime soon anyway. I'd rather it get teh spotlight early on when Ash's team is limited than when it's more developed and in the tougher gyms and opponents.

    Random : PokéRadar


  17. #267
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,485

    Default

    WOW!, so, there is too much unneeded comparisons, well, I'll do mine if you don't mind and I hope I won't get my post edited for posting my thoughts when posts made almost totally with the only purpose of plain BW bashing keeps going and going, I would report them, but now I have it forbbiden (-_-):

    - This battle kicks Roark's overdragged snorefest butt, there weren't DEM moments like the grass-type starter charging into a Flamethrower nor girly-gravity defying spins, just attacking with PLAUSIBLE strategies and with super effective attacks doing their job ... and yes, I know Fletchling fell with a Solarbeam (for those who thinks Electro Ball shouldn't cancelled Sleep Powder, I dare you to take an electric shock when you're sleepy and let's see if you wouldn't wake up).
    - Finally the XY gang is complete and they are already WAY MORE enjoyable than the DP disaster, Serena and Bonnie instantly got along, but I want to see how Serena and Clemont will interact, after Iris bullying Cilan, and Cilan trolling Iris with class, I hope those too have lots of interactions because they both are great characters on their own and I have the feeling that they could give great moments together without Bonnie, I'm not here for another Brock/Dawn fiasco.
    - Ahhh ... the hypocrisy: Ash sweeps Santalune Gym with Pikachu and no one bats an eye, Pikachu beats an already worn out Garbodor and everybody loses their minds, even if the battle was great, It still bugs me that Fletchling got screwed, people NOW reminds it as the first base stage bird that gets a gym victory, but when XY comes to an end, they will only remember Pikachu's battle record, also, excluding Fletchling from Ash's victory pose?, not cool
    - I still can't believe Alexa helped Ash to crush her own sister, she even looked excited when Ash stomped her with her help, but she didn't gave a crap when Viola beat him in the previous episode.
    - Even if I'm not a fan of Gym Leaders using the same strategy on rematches, I liked the twist they did revealing Vivillon's Sleep Powder here, the only bad thing was Fletchling being the victim.

    Anyway, cool episode, I'm ready for the next one, I want to see more from Serena as an individual character (I don't really give a crap about her past with Ash), know about Clemont's goal, and if they tone down Bonnie a little bit, it could be great, she is cute and all, but is not necessary to remind it every 2 minutes.
    Last edited by Squirtle_007; 20th November 2013 at 10:29 AM.

  18. #268
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,131

    Default

    What a fantastic gym battle.

    I can't believe Ash actually used Clemont's mishap as a way to get himself out of the Sleep Powder mess. And I love how the ice actually played out against Viola as it prevented Viola's Vivillion from moving properly. As for Fletchling, I'm not mad at all that Fletchling lost. It got a victory in the first battle against Surskit and even in the rematch it landed a couple of hints before being taken out by the Sleep Powder, so it's fair. And I loved the animation, God, Electro Ball seems SO much cooler without the regular blue background. If this is how the first gym turned out, then I can't wait for the other seven, as long as Ash keeps up with regular training sessions.

    It was nice of Ash to acknowledge that everyone helped him win this battle, and even after Clemont said he only messed up, Ash encouraged him saying it was his own accident that led to Ash winning.

    Oh, and Bonnie was adorable, like always. It's only natural a little girl can't stay up for long.

    Overall, a really good episode. XY quality continues - yes, a good episode.
    Last edited by Janovy; 23rd November 2013 at 8:24 AM.


  19. #269
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The City of Metropolis
    Posts
    285

    Default

    @Janovy: You said it best about the battle. It adds more credibility to Satoshi's creativity in his resume.

    I hope I'm not the only one who'll miss Viola. I like her. She's this hot chick who's sweet to have interest in photos yet she kicks *** in gym battles.


  20. #270
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CMDShift4 View Post
    @Janovy: You said it best about the battle. It adds more credibility to Satoshi's creativity in his resume.

    I hope I'm not the only one who'll miss Viola. I like her. She's this hot chick who's sweet to have interest in photos yet she kicks *** in gym battles.

    Viola was actually interesting to me as well.

    When she was initially revealed as a gym leader, I found her a bit bland, but the anime corrected that.


  21. #271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    When she was initially revealed as a gym leader, I found her a bit bland, but the anime corrected that.
    Do take in mind the anime has its own interpretations of the games. As such, you'll NEVER see the in-game Viola doing an ice field thing.

  22. #272
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Somewhere on the West Coast
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Do take in mind the anime has its own interpretations of the games. As such, you'll NEVER see the in-game Viola doing an ice field thing.
    Either way, the ice field was an AWESOME counter-strategy!

  23. #273
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    DE Lewes
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Like how the XY series is going, The Ice field was a good hazard for Ash to counter! (Well this is the anime and the anime always say screw the Game rules, this is a different Pokémon universe!)
    Like how things are building up for Ash & Serena's relationship! Wish I could see what major purpose Clamont & Bonnie will have! Especially Bonnie! She has to do something so she won't be more useless than/as Max!

    My FireRed Champs:


    My HeartGold Team:


    My Black Team:


    My White Team:


    My White 2 Team So Far:


  24. #274

    Default

    The gym battle was great, it's the best one I've seen in years. Also Serena's character is really interesting, since she doesn't know what her goal will be yet. I can see alot of character development happening for her during this series. Also, I knew Ash would forget who she was XD
    I give this episode a 10/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

  25. #275
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Somewhere on the West Coast
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DawnBoy View Post
    Also, I knew Ash would forget who she was XD
    Like no one else would. :P

    It's a good thing that was remedied in the next episode.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •