Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with my team

Default Help with my team

I recenty felt the urge to replay firered and im getting along just fine, but what i need help with is my team. i thought i had the perfect team planned out but then i came across snorlax and am debating exchanging him with one of the pokemon in my team. id love to hear opinions.
    my team is :
    charizard Lv 41
    nidoking Lv 25
    gyarados Lv 26
    growlith Lv 24
    kadabra Lv 26
    gastly Lv 23

snorlax is Lv 30

Please post movesets, items and stuff so we can help you.

Pokemon@Item
    -Move 1
    -Move 2
    -Move 3
    -Move 4
    Optional: Brief explanation of moveset, item or pokemon.

Nidoking's Attack stat is higher than its SpAtk, but both are actually useable. One of the things I like in him is this ability to go mixed.
    Earthquake, Rock Slide, Thunderbolt and Megahorn or Shadow Ball gives him a pretty nifty coverage. Earthquake is your STAB and Rock Slide provides the coverage it'd usually need when facing foes with ability such as Levitate or Flying-mons, plus, it gives you an amazing coverage. Thunderbolt takes out Water-types; and you should always take care of 'em, as 3 members of your team are weak to it and only one can switch safely. Megahorn's accuracy sure it's not good, so you might opt to go with Shadow Ball instead. Both use his Atk, but both improve its coverage to beat Dark, Grass and Psychic pokemon and some might either wall you or defeat you with an S-E move; those "some" are named Grass and Psychic. Good luck!
    And do as said by JAWS, edit your post with yours pokemons movesets. I'll give a full rate later.

I've found some success with a Megahorn/Substitute/Brick Break/Toxic Nidoking on FireRed.
    Hooray for R/S Remakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PS replays that amuse me-
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ge...ubles-69547279 (Dragon team self-destructs)
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-79467255 (Sableye wrecks Mewtwo, Giratina, and Arceus)

Future Alpha Sapphire Team (Pending further info on non-gen 3 accessibles)

i just need to know wether Snorlax should become part of my team

Defensively, your team is generally weak, but not so much, at least not that you have to worry. However, it's always good to have a sort of wall to keep things up when you're facing a certain threat and you don't actually have something to take that other pokemon out. So, considering everything... Yes, I think Snorlax would be good to this team. I suggest that set for him:
    ~Brick Break
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Return/Body Slam
    ~Curse

Curse set is mainly to wall a bit and proceed to sweep, even if slowly. Since the opponent will never switch, ir's easy to get 3 or 4 Curse up. Shadow Ball and Brick Break gives you perfect coverage already, so no need to worry beat a specific thing. The other slot is up to you. Body Slam has that neat Paralysis chance, Return, however, provides more power. Considering the set, I suggest Return, as you'll be better going with power over that status chance.

Switch Snorlax with Growlithe. There's your simplified answer.
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ge...ubles-69547279 (Dragon team self-destructs)
    http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-79467255 (Sableye wrecks Mewtwo, Giratina, and Arceus)

Quote Originally Posted by Ib4 View Post
    Switch Snorlax with Growlithe. There's your simplified answer.
    I suggest it over Gastly. At least Growlithe will be able to evolve to something much better than a Haunter, and besides, it gets STAB with its Fire moves, something Haunter willl never be able.

i was thinking kadabra because between haunter and kadabra has the upper hand, and i dont think id be able to switch growlith out for the only reason being he becomes very powerful and fast after evolution, at the moment he may be weak compare to most but once the fire stone is used its game over.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sholes Harper View Post
    i was thinking kadabra because between haunter and kadabra has the upper hand, and i dont think id be able to switch growlith out for the only reason being he becomes very powerful and fast after evolution, at the moment he may be weak compare to most but once the fire stone is used its game over.
    He's indeed a great choice to your team. It packs punch and speed to overcome many threats, but you might find yourself in some nasty situations, since Arca' doesn't have "that movepool" to abuse. Actually, it's quite forgettable before B/W. The thing with him is; it can go mixed that he'll be perfectly fine and it'll always be a threat to whatever trainer. May I ask which set you pretend him to run?

whats a set

Moves, item, nature... Those things.

Like I said before,

Please post movesets, items and stuff so we can help you.

Pokemon@Item
    -Move 1
    -Move 2
    -Move 3
    -Move 4
    Optional: Brief explanation of moveset, item or pokemon.

Example with my Pokemon:
    Aerodactyl@Focus Sash
    -Taunt
    -Stealth Rock
    -Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    Aerodactyl here is a "Suicide Lead" and he uses Stealth Rock for setup hazards, taunt so the opposing Pokemon cannot stall and has to attack (Hence suicide lead), and Stone Edge and Earthquake for basic coverage.

An example with one of your pokemon:
    Charizard
    -Fire Blast/Flamethrower (The / means or)
    -Aerial Ace/Wing Attack
    -Steel Wing
    -Earthquake
    Fire Blast/Flamethrower for STAB (50% Dual), Aerial Ace/Wing Attack (50% Dual), Steel Wing and Earthquake for coverage.

This is the first game I've played since emerald and I'm trying to think of a team to make when I get the game. I'm thinking Greninja, Gengar, Charizard for it's X mega evolution, Raichu/Jolteon, Lucario, Scizor, and Gardevoir? Are there any other Pokčmon you guys would suggest and what moves?

Current move sets

Gyarados Lv 31
    - hyperbeam
    - dragon rage
    - surf
    - water pulse

Charizard Lv 48
    - slash
    - flamethrower
    - mega kick
    - fly

Haunter Lv 34
    - hypnosis
    - dream eater
    - giga drain
    - shadow punch

Growlith Lv 28
    - dig
    - ember
    - toxic
    - take down

Nidoking Lv 30
    - thunder
    - surf
    - mega kick
    - rock slide

Kadabra Lv 30
    - psybeam
    - confusion
    - future sight
    - secret power

Snorlax Lv 30
    - headbut
    - yawn
    - hyperbeam
    - strength
    Last edited by Alex Sholes Harper; 26th November 2013 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sholes Harper View Post
    Current move sets

Gyarados Lv 31
    - earthquake
    - dragon rage
    - waterfall
    - dragon dance

Charizard Lv 48
    - steel wing
    - flamethrower
    - slash
    - fly/wing attack/aerial ace (In-Game fly is fine.)

Haunter Lv 34
    - shadow ball
    - thunderbolt
    - giga drain
    - sludge bomb

Arcanine (When it evolves it should be this)
    - extreme speed
    - fire blast/flamethrower
    - iron tail
    - take down

Nidoking Lv 30
    - thunder
    - surf
    - earthquake
    - rock slide

Kadabra Lv 30
    - psychic
    - shadow ball
    - future sight
    - recover

Snorlax Lv 30
    - body slam
    - crunch
    - shadow ball
    - earthquake
    I fixed alot. Nidoking set was okay you just needed an earthquake in there.
    Last edited by ((JAWS)); 28th November 2013 at 9:04 AM. Reason: snorlax moveset fixed

i am still only at the 5th gym
    im taking it slow
    all these moves dont show up till later

Then you change it later, no secrets. Besides, everyone has to do that.

Wrong. No reason to use waterfall over surf in gen 3.. And shadow ball on kadabras terrible attack stat? Why
    Original Pokemon Silver Team:

Alakazam Snorlax Nidoking
    Dragonite Jolteon Typhlosion

Always in my heart guys, wish you never reset so many good battles

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Owns View Post
    Wrong. No reason to use waterfall over surf in gen 3.. And shadow ball on kadabras terrible attack stat? Why
    Most of the raters that has just started to rate here, are more used with the Special and Physical split moves after Gen IV. It's understandable why some suggest certain moves that are special on Gen IV (and forward) or physical. But yeah, no Shadow Ball on Kadabra nor Waterfall on Gyarados. Although both Surf and Waterfall is pretty meh because of his SpAtk, maybe Hydro Pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Owns View Post
    Sorry forgot about the split.

JAWS you have Earthquake on 3 different pokes. There's only one Earthquake T.M. in FireRed that you get after beating the 8th gym, so he can't do that unless he's got multiple other games/people willing to trade their Earthquake T.M.s.
    Finally I'd like to justify why you should switch Snorlax with Growlithe.
    1. Snorlax's moveset is great; Much better than Growlithe's OR Arcanine's
    2. Growlithe is Fire type. You already have Charizard.

And what will Haunter ever be able to do, if you care to explain me? He's doing nothing special as long Kadabra is in the team. It's exactly the same thing with Arcanine and Charizard. To be sincere, this argument doesn't fit.
    And again, Arcanine's movepool and stats allow him to go mixed, which is great. Plus, it gets STAB. Haunter doesn't and its stats is too shabby to even be considered (except SpAtk, obv).

PS; He could hack for the TMs, if he doesn't consider this wrong, hahaha!!! I personally do!

If you have access to trading and can get Alakazam and Gengar I'd highly recommend it.
    @Akanjao Gengar (or even Haunter) is still respectable even with Kadabra.
    STAB Shadowball or STAB Sludge Bomb are great even from a Sp. Attacker, Thunderbolt and Giga Drain as JAWS mentioned are also good options and take advantage of a solid Sp. Attack stat.
    Without even going into TMs Haunter has Confuse Ray, Hypnosis/Dream Eater (although Hypnosis is irritatingly inaccurate), Mean Look, Curse, and Destiny Bond. Trap somebody with Mean Look and they'll be in a world of pain with Sleep, Confusion, Nightmare, Poison, Curse, Destiny Bond, Paralysis (Lick/Thunderbolt/SecretPower though only Thunderbolt should be considered), Burn (Will-o-wisp egg move), or Perish Song (egg move)! Great Sp. Attack and Speed can really screw your opponent over even if you skip the status and go pure offensive with Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, Giga Drain, Psychic, or Dream Eater/Hypnosis.

Guys I say we just let him pick the Pokemon we suggested and does it the way he wants. We are all here to help him not debate on movesets. I also understand that you can hack TMs, trade, and breed so its not a big deal. And also by the way Akanjo has a point, it seems more balanced that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast