Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Giving Chase at the Rhyhorn Race! (810)

An oddly shipping heavy episode... I don't know whether to call this progress in writing or a back slide to the true intention's of this show. Oh well, nice episode
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

I thought this was a good development episode for Serena and I liked how the whole cast interacted with each other. Also I just noticed this after the intro at the title screen for the episode when you see the ash and co., you usually see Ash's face pop up on the side but in today's episode you saw Serena's. I'm guessing that if the episode is centered around a certain character their face will be seen which is a nice touch. Also I loved the Laverre City music playing in the background of this episode it sounded amazing.

I forgot to mention how much I loved the part where Clemont jumped in the air and smashed the remote thing with a rock. It shows the nerd has an athletic side, too

Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    I'm thinking they focused too much in shipping and not enough on the race.
    I feel they focused on what was most important.

Very pleased they used the fairy villages theme music. It really amplified the feels for the particular scene.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I also think I caught the Ice villages theme song too?

Even if the episode didn't give Serena a goal, she can still have some time to find her own. It would make a good development. And to be honest I really like Serena and Ash's relationship, even if it doesn't go much further, I think it's kind of sweet and well, a change from being "just good friends" given that was the dynamic with May and Dawn (dunno about Iris, didn't watch BW.)

I'm still shocked that they allowed Ash to hug a girl lol, seriously that is like the equivalent of a kiss for Ash .
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

I liked Serena's I-sound-like-my-mother moment. I see that in myself sometimes too.
    And wow, Clemont was actually first on the crime scene. This adventure is a good workout for him.

Currently in Hoenn.
    Claimed Scyther

Thanks to Chapter of Charizard for the Button
    PASBL explained ~ WF ~ Incoming absence alert
    Coming next year in the fanfic section:

Thank you Astral Shadow for the Banner

I enjoyed this episode a lot. X3 Little Ash was adorable to watch.

The flashback scene was my favorite part (especially the music), and Ash hugging Serena was pretty surprising.

I also loved Clemont's epic diving smash.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

I watched the RAW twice (once a moment ago, another who guess where) and various things:
    Eureka LOVES Pokemon. She's really excited to met and hug new pokemon
    Serena tried to show off her Rhyhorn Race outfit to Satoshi with the heart that it contains.
    As PK0082 mentioned, in the episode title Serena appears instead of Ash.
    The race doesn't restart after Team Rocket in defeated. Officer Jenny does the race suspended after the Rhyhorn trainer regain the Rhyhorn from Team Rocket.

Serena apparently is the cook and the map setter, according to this episode. And the macaron are going to play a part in the XY series.
    Serena tried to not get the call of her mom because she doesn't want Ash to talk about Rhyhorn Racing.
    And Serena officially joined the gang at the start of the episode.

And about @Playerking review,
    Quote Originally Posted by playerking View Post

Serena opens up the town map and tells them where she previously traveled, or where they should travel next.
    It's where they should travelled next. That actually ha happened in the previous episode. Also, the direction of the map makes it obvious. Alo the context makes it obvious that is when Serena officially joins the gang.

Ash uses his Pokedex on Rhyhorn, before Officer Jenny comes on her motorcycle and tells gives them a warning about the Rhyhorn.
    Not make your assumptions at first moment. I'm 99% sure that Officer Jenny dialogue is not this

Ash comes out in his and he admires it.
    What you are saying? The outfit? Ash is not interested in that.

They are all seen in their rooms at night time.
    Why you don't tell that Serena is awake cooking?

James tells Inkay to spray the screen that focuses on Ash.
    He does the spray in all the screens, not only the one focusing in Ash.

It is now sunset again and Team Rocket are taken care off. You don't explain that all the Rhyhorns took Team Rocket. Ash and co. calls Serena's mom Grace to tell her about what happened. And you said nothing about the Ash and Serena discussion?

Serena then gives Ash some food and Ash gets some of it caught in his throat for a bit.
    Also, I don't see any mention of the scenes where Serena is blushing in the episode. It's very unusual to see a character doing that, remember. You should have posted that because it's one of the keys of the episode.
    About the emotions in the episode, it's very weak. Serena showed a lot of emotions in this episode and you almost count nothing about it.

To be continued.

Edit: Delete the parts of @platyerking review who I aren't analyzed.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 21st November 2013 at 11:10 PM.

I didn't know what to expect coming into this episode, but for me this episode truly saved Serena's character. I liked it. Dare I say this has been my favorite Kalos XY episode yet. This really showed Serena's character, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed Bonnie as I always do, same for Clemont. I even enjoyed Ash and Team Rocket in this episode, and normally I ignore both. I hate to admit it but I enjoyed the Ash and Serena flashback. Maybe it was the Wonderland/Disney music of Laverre City they played that put me under a spell, but it was darn cute. Little Serena was adorable and so was little Ash. I'm glad they established their background and it was enjoyable. What kind of camp sends kids into the woods without Pokemon? Little Serena wasn't even in tall grass.

The Rhyhorn aspects of the episode were enjoyable as well. It's somewhat funny Ash can ride a Charizard, Pidgeot, Lapras, and Ponyta but cannot even get on a Rhyhorn. Of course Serena has to show how to do it. She's a founding member of the Riders of Rhyhorn, so it's easy for her. The group dynamic was also established a little which is what I have been waiting for and it looks innocent enough to be enjoyable. I hope to see more of Serena and Fennekin in action and hopefully they can continue goal-hunting. And I loved how Bonnie held Serena's hand, giving her the main character seal of approval. Enjoyable episode and one that was needed for character establishment.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

I can't believe that I haven't posted a review yet! It's time to remedy to that.

So... finally Serena joins the cast and she seems really happy to be a part of the family.

And her main role is...

... navigator? Oh, ok. Can't wait to count the number of times they get lost. XD

And they run for whatever reason.

Hmmm... why so nervous, Clemont? What are you hiding?

Ah, the famous handkerchief scene. It's flashback time!

Awww, young Ash is sooo adorable! :3

Gaaah! Fuzzy feelings, go away! You're too much for my hardened heart!

Anyway, joking aside, the whole flashback was so kawaii! ^^

Ash remembered! Ash remembered! At least they won't drag that thing forever.

Ah ha ha! I can't help but smile while looking at Bonnie!

Creepy face TRio. Now if only it was someone else I would have been almost scared.

Come on, Ash! Climb up that Rhyh...

... Serena, I would have reacted the same way. :/

Ok, try agai...

Sheeesh, is he really that dumb or he's concerned about not hitting... cough, cough... some particular areas with the spikes (if you get what I mean)? Admittedly, I would avoid that as well.

At least Ash is quite persistent. ^^;

See, Ash? This is how you ride a Rhyhorn.

Eeek! W-what do they want?

AAAH! THEY'RE TASTING THEIR MEAL! NOOO, SERENAAA!

... actually no. They're just licking her affectionately.

This scene alone made Rhyhorn adorable in my eyes. I would have never guessed that a rocky rhino could be as affectionate as a Growlithe.

At last! You did it, Ash! Yay!

Shhh! We'd better be careful or the producers will transform you into the next cook! And more or less 95% of the fandom doesn't want that.

Oooh! I wonder who could have done that...

Obvious answer is obvious.

Clemont and Bunnelby to the rescue! Way to go, buddies! You're both awesome!

Time to shine, Fennekin!

Well thought, Clemont! You're amazing as usual!

What time is it?

It's tea time blast-off time! Yeah...

So... who won the race? Well... nobody.

See, Grace? She already got a lot of friends. Don't worry about her.

So... you're free to do whatever you want, right?

Cookies for everyone! Me wanna cookie as well! D:

All in all, this is one of my favorite XY episodes so far, if not my favorite. I give it a solid 9/10. Nice pacing with nice animation and fitting music. Keep up the good work, The Series XY!
    Last edited by Cresselia92; 21st November 2013 at 11:31 PM.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Check out my little sprite gallery by clicking here!

Pretty standard episode, honestly, I'm surprised it didn't have me jumping out of my seat like the last five XY episodes. It wasn't extraordinary but it wasn't terrible, it was just pretty basic overall. I guess you could love it a lot if you're into shipping-esque stuff but it just didn't do it for me a lot of the times, Team Rocket being the catalyst, included. TR's inclusion just felt forced because they only showed up and the climax came too quickly and felt rushed. They didn't even try to fight back against Fennekin using their Inkay and they just felt way too plot devicey here.

I really liked the final scene where the XY Quartet are all shoving each other out of the way of the video phone and Serena DAT WINK in unison with Fennekin was great XD Of course it was nice to see her command her Fennekin and cook with the little fire fox. But I just found the whole Rhyhorn racing thing boring to be honest, the race as well, TR's inclusion, the training for the race, was all terribly uninteresting. The flashbacks of Serena and little Ash were nice I guess, but for some reason I wasn't as excited for them as I thought I would be. They just left me cold, Ash and Serena's interactions were pretty mundane the whole episode for me and the interactions in this episode felt like a step down. I honestly liked it better when she interacted with Fennekin/Bonnie at times.

I don't know, it just seems like when she's lost a bit of the fire and personality she had in the first four episodes before she met Ash and she it felt like she was too focused on the guy in this episode and didn't even seem to interact with Clemont much at all and Bonnie as much as I would have liked. I do hope we see Fennekin in battle soon and I did like how she dropped some lines about how she seems to be getting a goal in the future. The art in this episode also got on my nerves, probably a crappy animator unfortunately. But forreal though, the XY Cast's shoving and Serena/Fennekin's wink was the best scene of the whole episode for me. The music and all during the scene was great.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 22nd November 2013 at 12:31 AM.

i loved the flashback scene with young ash and serena. it was super cute and the lavarre city music added a nice touch. i'm interested to see how this relationship will develop

Interesting show, but I still wish I could race a rhyhorn in the games....
    About to do an X Scramble Challenge!!!
    Let me know if you would like to trade or battle!
    3DS Friend Code: 1779-0043-7163
    Name on 3DS: BT

Quote Originally Posted by crobatman View Post
    Interesting show, but I still wish I could race a rhyhorn in the games....
    To this day I feel cheated at how little the riding mechanic was used.

Just watched the episode and since the subs that were on their were obviously wrong this time, I'll only talk about what I saw.

1. The flashback, I knew ash would save her from being lost, but i didn't know it'd go as far as it did with him giving her the handkerchief and that one moment where ash helps serena up and he holds her close for that second. I'm not one for shipping, especially when there's no real evidence but this seems like this is the writers intention this time around and i want to see where they go with it.

2. The group's interactions together. I loved it in this episode, I love how they're energetic and supportive in their own ways without going overboard or being not natural. I said this in a previous episode, I really like the group because they act like normal people would. Their interactions aren't forced and the conversations are the kind of conversations friends would have. I absolutely loved the part at the end when they're talking to serenas mom, it just made me smile seeing them get along so well.

3. Character growth. Truthfully this is becoming way too good that it's making me worry a bit. I'll explain by talking about clemont. When he first joined ash, he said he wanted to become more courageous like ash. Today's episode showed him getting to team rocket first and even stopping them from leaving along with breaking their machine. This is really good we're seeing this growth but with this only being the 7th episode and the episode with his gym coming up soon, I fear they're putting all the cards on the table all at once too early and there won't be anything else to work with in the future. Also with serena and ash, i thought it'd be a while before ash remembered her but he did literally the next episode later so that mystery has already been solved too.
    Friends are family you choose

I'm currently watching the episode, and I must say, I like it, and not just because of the shipping hints!

The training scene looked really well-played, and I especially liked that scene where Serena found out that she was quoting her mother, word for word. It seems like she's having a slight interest in Rhyhorn Racing. Although, I do hope it's not her goal. Her racing might get old and stale, and that's what I don't want in a goal for anyone.

As for the Rhyhorn Racing itself...I don't know. People say it doesn't look interesting, but I think that if it weren't for TR butting in, we might've seen something life-changing (exaggerating, but meh). We didn't get to see the entire race in all of its glory. Hopefully they dedicate another episode's focus solely to the race, so we can see for ourselves if it's awesome or not.

Speaking of Team Rocket...while I don't like the fact that they butted in as usual, I DID like how they carried out their scheme. Having Inkay spray ink all over the cameras sounded like a creative touch to me, and to me, it gave me the feeling that they're trying their best to make sure there's no intervention. And...are they using Colress's technology again? I really hope they explain the background behind their inventions, because they look like Team Plasma material to me. But, other than that, it would've been better if someone else took up their role, someone more experienced, who we can take more seriously.

I can't believe Clemont smashed that device...LIKE A BOSS. 'Nuff said.

I'm surprised there wasn't any interaction between TR and Serena; I was hoping for some. Ah, well, maybe for future episodes.

I find it out extremely odd that Serena's mom didn't say her name. Why are they withholding it? I don't see any reason why...unless that implies that the writers have something in store for her that involves making her name so important that they don't reveal it immediately... But I wonder what?...

I thought this was a decent episode. Nothing much happened if you don't count Serena's development as a character, which was moderately portrayed at best. But, I shall stay tuned for the next ones!

And, before I go, one last question for everyone: at the very end of the preview, who was that guy looking at Furfrou? He looks like an E4 member, but I'm not sure...

This episode was really cute. Serena's personality, the flashback, Bonnie, and the Rhyhorn. This was a nice episode. I expected less and was nicely surprised.

This episode was so...standard. I mean it felt like a filler to me even with the Ash and Serena flashback. Anyway, the episode had some cute moments at least, like Ash and Serena training for the race thing, although I really hated their outfits; they looked so baggy. Just a slight nitpick. Seeing Serena and Bonnie interact was cute too, but my favorite part was seeing Fennekin battle Team Rocket. The ending of the episode where Serena gave Ash the macaroons that she baked was cute. But that's all I can say about this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    my favorite part was seeing Fennekin battle Team Rocket.
    The one thing I forgot to mention in my post.

Honestly, I have high hopes for Serena being a great battler. The bada** music made everything better...

Having that Ponyta race back in Kanto be my favorite episode of Pokemon of all time, I was just a tad disappointed we didn't get some more racing footage this episode. But you know what? The writers focused on more the training part of racing which is what Serena realized she was leaving behind. And since it isn't her goal, a lack of depth for that career is reasonable. At least it got a bit more explanation in one episode than whatever Cilan's connoisseur goal was the whole season.

Clemont was strangely hardcore this episode. I wonder how Ash can try to mount a Rhyhorn and end up stepping so hard he flips over it. That takes much more skill than just mounting it!

How they drew Ash felt a bit off in this episode or is it just me?
    -
    [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/9i9zxi.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.*******.com/j8faqd.png[/IMG]
    * Credit to pokefan#493

Quote Originally Posted by CupidKirby View Post
    How they drew Ash felt a bit off in this episode or is it just me?
    They DID give him some slight redesigns to his overall character. It's not just you.

Quote Originally Posted by CupidKirby View Post
    Clemont was strangely hardcore this episode. I wonder how Ash can try to mount a Rhyhorn and end up stepping so hard he flips over it. That takes much more skill than just mounting it!
    Clemont went HAM on that remote. Straight-up did a super-effective Rock Smash.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

Quote Originally Posted by Eievui-Nymphia View Post
    -Misty: mainly in the dub, although some of the hints are in the raw. Of course, no blushing or something similar.

Now we arein a different scenario: Serena is blushing to Ash which means that this ship is in a completily different territory.
    No blushing? All the way from Misty's gym battle with Ash in Cerulean City there was blushing on Misty's part especially when people implied that her and Ash were a thing. Geez I mean really how about the episode where Team Rocket captured Misty and Ash on the blimp the orange islands and they both blushed?

I can come up with so many other times that she's blushed or he's blushed but it's neither here nor there.

I grew up with Pokemon from the very beginning and the only reason I'm responding to this post is because you're really diminishing Misty whom very much has had canon feelings for Ash and showed them in many aspects including yes blushing multiple times in scenarios where others questioned her relationship with him and jealousy when other girls showed an interest in Ash.

I don't really believe Pokemon is ever going to go down a full romantic route because that's not the type of anime it is but we shall see. I'm all for Serena plot development as well.

However don't brush off things that you know for a fact are not true.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast