Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Least Favorite PokeSpe Character?

Quote Originally Posted by Trutown View Post
    Originally, Wally was going to be the main character for the Emerald arc. However, when the writers discovered that the main setting would be the Battle Frontier, they quickly realized that Wally wouldn't fit in that setting. So, they created Emerald. I would argue against that (I think that they should have used Wally and developed him into the role of a skilled battler), but considering all they had to do in the amount of time they had I understand why they did it.
    Well, if that was the case then the least they could have done was borrow an in-game design for him to look like rather than the random design that he had. At least Yellow looks something like a bugcatcher. Emerald's just odd looking
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

Current Y team (champions)

Current X team (6th gym badge won)

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post
    Well, if that was the case then the least they could have done was borrow an in-game design for him to look like rather than the random design that he had. At least Yellow looks something like a bugcatcher. Emerald's just odd looking
    Agree, his design just seen out of place.

I personally don't care about Red, he is just your typical hot-blooded generic shonen hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post
    I actually like the fact that he is a midget. It adds some diversity to a bunch that lacks diversity.

I actually like the fact that he is a midget. It adds some diversity to a bunch that lacks diversity.
    Indeedy. Personally, I love all the characters, all of them have their own unique charm.
    Last edited by KamenAeons; 4th January 2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Grammar. :/
    Many thanks to Astral Shadow for the (rather old) shifting userbar and Garnet who I assume created the guild userbar.

Are you interested in PASBL? I'd recommend the Getting Started thread.
    Still have questions? Drop by the Trainer and Referee Q&A!

I do not like Gold, Crystal, or Sapphire. The reason is that these three characters lack character development. At the end of the story arcs they are in (including Emerald and HeartGold and SoulSilver), they are the exact same as they were when they were introduced.
    So you dislike the characters only because of how they were written? That's not a bad reason, though I think you can still like/dislike a character despite how well/poorly they were handled.

Gold: The irresponsible and immature boy growing into a responsible and mature man is a very common character arc that is not that hard to write or understand.
    This reminds me of how Kusaka handled female! Blue, which I actually didn't like. Don't get me wrong, I did appreciate seeing Blue mature, but the problem was she became somewhat bland afterwards. I'd love for Gold to develop, and what you suggested doesn't sound bad, but unless Kusaka could do it differently from how he did Blue (as in, in a way where we don't lose what makes the character their character) I'd actually prefer for him to remain flat. (as sad as that is to say)

Crystal: The uptight girl who learns to loosen up and appreciate life is also common and easy to write.
    This I wouldn't have minded to see though.

Sapphire: The violent tomboy/female warrior who learns that fighting/war is not all there is to life and learns to appreciate beauty is also extremely common, but does require some subtle writing that Kusaka may not be capable of (considering he is a terrible writer who can't figure out how to write three extremely common character arcs).
    Honestly it seemed like that's what Kusaka planned to do (like by having her love how beautiful Ruby decorated her Secret Base at the end of RS), but for some reason he never went all the way with it or really do anymore with it in the Emerald arc. It's too bad, because I would've loved to have seen Sapphire learn to balance who she is now with who she used to be.
    Last edited by 1dbad; 6th January 2014 at 10:55 AM.
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

~Doctor's memo, from Silent Hill 2

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    So you dislike the characters only because of how they were written? That's not a bad reason, though I think you can still like/dislike a character despite how well/poorly they were handled.
    That's just how I was always taught to judge characters in literature. I try not to judge characters based on personal preference, but rather how they work out in the narrative.

Except Rose Tyler in Doctor Who. I can't stand her and I would happily cut both my hands off if it would prevent her from ever existing.
    Last edited by Trutown; 7th January 2014 at 5:39 AM.

Wait, what's this about Wally "originally being planned for Emerald's role?" Sure it seemed like that but was there ever any official word? I mean, really?

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Wait, what's this about Wally "originally being planned for Emerald's role?" Sure it seemed like that but was there ever any official word? I mean, really?
    I remember reading somewhere, but I don't remember where. I do remember that it was set up that way in the magazines when he registered his name in the Pokedex but was later changed in the chapter releases.

Whatever source I got it from could be wrong and Wally was never meant to be the main character for the Emerald arc (although, considering the attention that Wally got later on in RS, I highly doubt it). It still does not change the fact that Wally would have been unable to fit in for the direction the writers wished to go in the Emerald chapter and that Emerald is still a good character with development.

My least favorite is RED.

He is only immune to mainstream criticism because he is the original protagonist of Pokémon Adventures/Special...but he's just a generic dexholder with no unique skill except battling slightly better than all of the original 10(especially Blue the TRAINER!).

He has the most generic captures, the most generic Shonen creature manga personality type, and has the most generic and formulaic shonen creature manga storylines, victories and accomplishments.

In other words, he's generic, dull, boring, and held too high on a golden pedestal, looming over deeper characters like Whi-Two simply because he was the FIRST! protagonist.
    MUCHA HAWLUCHA, YEAH!

That's just how I was always taught to judge characters in literature. I try not to judge characters based on personal preference, but rather how they work out in the narrative.
    I was taught something similar, though the way I was taught was just to have a critical mind when reading literature, so if asked to give my opinions or critique it I can. I was never told to go as far as basing my likes or dislikes on how they were written though, and since most fans base their favs/least favs on character preference that's why I do the same. Like I said before though both ways of doing it work fine.

I remember reading somewhere, but I don't remember where. I do remember that it was set up that way in the magazines when he registered his name in the Pokedex but was later changed in the chapter releases.
    I think there was also a colored image or two they did of Wally as well, and his entire team also had a green color scheme, which appeared to be another hint at him becoming Emerald.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamzee Makara View Post

He is only immune to mainstream criticism because he is the original protagonist of Pokémon Adventures/Special...but he's just a generic dexholder with no unique skill except battling slightly better than all of the original 10(especially Blue the TRAINER!).

He has the most generic captures, the most generic Shonen creature manga personality type, and has the most generic and formulaic shonen creature manga storylines, victories and accomplishments.

In other words, he's generic, dull, boring, and held too high on a golden pedestal, looming over deeper characters like Whi-Two simply because he was the FIRST! protagonist.
    You summed up the reasons why Red is my least favorite Dexholder pretty well, so thanks for that. I wouldn't say he's my most disliked though, since I still do like him as a Dexholder. It's just out of all the ones I like he interests me the least, and I'm so glad the Red/Blue/Green arc had Blue and Green there or else I don't think I would've liked it that much at all.
    Last edited by 1dbad; 7th January 2014 at 12:20 PM.
    "But sometimes I have to ask myself this question. It's true that to us his imaginings are nothing but the inventions of a busy mind. But to him, there simply is no other reality. Furthermore he is happy there.

So why, I ask myself, why in the name of healing him must we drag him painfully into the world of our own reality?"

~Doctor's memo, from Silent Hill 2

Though in one panel, Birch showed the Pokedex with Emerald's photo only blurred by the rain.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

This will probably change in the future since I've only read up to volume seven, but I still don't like Green. Not sure if her being carried away as a child led to her becoming a thief and little jerk to other people (particularly Red), but she's been a bit of a thorn to the side throughout the R/B/Y arcs. She's clever, yeah, but it doesn't mean I like her. Yellow felt like a Mary Sue to me despite being a rather bland character (I don't even remember one interesting thing about her despite having read the entire arc two weeks ago), but I at least didn't dislike her.

Lance and the other Elite Four who are not Bruno I wanted to strangle, though. They gave their reasons for why they were doing what they did, but they were just unlikeable characters to me that they came off as cynical jerks who will kill anyone just for getting in their way. Guess it just goes to show the League's system is really messed up in that they don't keep track of their members, both Gym Leaders and Elite Four.

Chances are worse characters will pop up the further I read, but that's the opinion I've developed thus far.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamzee Makara View Post

Compared to everyone else, minus maybe Black, Red is pretty generic. I like him but I think the Kanto male hero and every character based on his design are all overrated and as you said, immune to mainstream criticism. Especially video game Red, the worst of the worst. But back to PokeSpecial Red, he pretty much is generic hero. Again I do like him but everyone else seems to have a more interesting personality or quirk about them.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    This will probably change in the future since I've only read up to volume seven, but I still don't like Green. Not sure if her being carried away as a child led to her becoming a thief and little jerk to other people (particularly Red), but she's been a bit of a thorn to the side throughout the R/B/Y arcs. She's clever, yeah, but it doesn't mean I like her. Yellow felt like a Mary Sue to me despite being a rather bland character (I don't even remember one interesting thing about her despite having read the entire arc two weeks ago), but I at least didn't dislike her.

Lance and the other Elite Four who are not Bruno I wanted to strangle, though. They gave their reasons for why they were doing what they did, but they were just unlikeable characters to me that they came off as cynical jerks who will kill anyone just for getting in their way. Guess it just goes to show the League's system is really messed up in that they don't keep track of their members, both Gym Leaders and Elite Four.

Chances are worse characters will pop up the further I read, but that's the opinion I've developed thus far.
    The original Elite Four wasn't affiliated with the League.

Quote Originally Posted by 1dbad View Post
    I was taught something similar, though the way I was taught was just to have a critical mind when reading literature, so if asked to give my opinions or critique it I can. I was never told to go as far as basing my likes or dislikes on how they were written though, and since most fans base their favs/least favs on character preference that's why I do the same. Like I said before though both ways of doing it work fine.
    I completely agree. I actually do have one fictional character who I can't stand based on personal preference, and that character is Rose Tyler from Doctor Who. I can not for the life of me understand the appeal that this character has. She treats her loyal and completely loving boyfriend like dirt, Billie Piper (the actress who played Rose) said that Rose was "a bit of a cow", she treats everyone who shows interest in the Doctor like the worms inside the dirt, she's possessive, she's always jealous, she throws a tantrum when she doesn't get her own way (this is a grown woman by the way), and even when the fate of the entire universe is at stake she cries about Martha being contacted by the Doctor instead of her. The fact that the first four seasons of New Who are about Rose boggles my mind and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It also means that newer fans who came into the show at the beginning of New Who still cry about the character and refuse to give any other companion a chance since they stupidly view Rose as the ideal for what a companion should be. My response to them is always: "She's gone. Get over it and watch Classic Who."

Oh wait, we're supposed to be talking about Pokemon...Pokemon is awesome!

I actually don't like the Sinnoh trio, maybe I'll exclude diamond though. I haven't read the Platinum arc and am still reading the D/P one but the characters seem boring to the extent that I want to get over with the arc as soon as possible. Platinum just comes of as a very boring character, I hope that changes as I read on. Emerald wasn't a great character either and I really despise Sird but then I don't think bad guys count.
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!
    Get yours from

Quote Originally Posted by LordSerperior View Post
    I actually don't like the Sinnoh trio, maybe I'll exclude diamond though. I haven't read the Platinum arc and am still reading the D/P one but the characters seem boring to the extent that I want to get over with the arc as soon as possible.
    I think that's because it's sort of like RS over again. They switch between three characters but there is an obvious edge to Diamond. The Platinum chapter is better about this since it focuses more on Platinum but I felt the chapter also suffered because of it. It works best when all three are in focus or it's just Diamond. I felt Pearl and Platinum couldn't hold it up themselves.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    Compared to everyone else, minus maybe Black, Red is pretty generic. I like him but I think the Kanto male hero and every character based on his design are all overrated and as you said, immune to mainstream criticism. Especially video game Red, the worst of the worst. But back to PokeSpecial Red, he pretty much is generic hero. Again I do like him but everyone else seems to have a more interesting personality or quirk about them.
    I agree with most of that...but Black at least has creature-induced superpowers:Red doesn't have a somnivorous(dream-eating), clairvoyance-granting Psychic koro Pokémon...All he has is a generic Shonen anime Esper in the form of Vee the ESPeon!
    Last edited by Gamzee Makara; 8th January 2014 at 2:59 PM.
    MUCHA HAWLUCHA, YEAH!

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    I think that's because it's sort of like RS over again. They switch between three characters but there is an obvious edge to Diamond. The Platinum chapter is better about this since it focuses more on Platinum but I felt the chapter also suffered because of it. It works best when all three are in focus or it's just Diamond. I felt Pearl and Platinum couldn't hold it up themselves.
    I think that the main problem was not only that it was trying to imitate RS's success, but that it tries to ape Star Trek's success without understanding what made it good as well. Add that to having to follow the plot of the Diamond and Pearl games, and we end up with a pretty jaring experience. Still, the fact that the Galactic commanders were expys of Batman villains was pretty cool.

I think that the main problem was not only that it was trying to imitate RS's success, but that it tries to ape Star Trek's success without understanding what made it good as well. Add that to having to follow the plot of the Diamond and Pearl games, and we end up with a pretty jaring experience. Still, the fact that the Galactic commanders were expys of Batman villains was pretty cool.
    Although I have yet to encounter Jupiter but I'll agree Mars and Saturn certainly are interesting. In fact a lot of side characters have a better feel than Pearl and Platinum
    Get yours from

Quote Originally Posted by LordSerperior View Post
    Although I have yet to encounter Jupiter but I'll agree Mars and Saturn certainly are interesting. In fact a lot of side characters have a better feel than Pearl and Platinum
    That is also a bit of a problem in DPPt. While side characters can and should be interesting, they should not be more interesting than the main cast. However, I do not think that the three Galactic commanders should be counted as side characters since they are so active and prominent. They are the primary antagonists and they each reflect the three main characters in different ways.

Mars is the opposite of Diamond. While Diamond has a very strong moral center, while Mars lacks a moral center completely. While Diamond acts morally right for the right reasons, Mars acts morally wrong because she thinks it is fun and hilarious (much like the Joker in Batman comics). She does not do it just because it is evil, but because she genuinely does not understand why people don't see the world the way she thinks it really is. She can't be bought, negotiated, or reasoned with. She just wants to watch the world burn. Most modern psychologist would (wrongly) label her as a psychopath.

Saturn is the opposite of Pearl. While Pearl is rash, impulsive, and incredibly willful, Saturn is slow, thoughtful, and incredibly lazy. They are very similar however in the fact that they are both geniuses (Saturn's technological genius and use of an exo-skeleton that he resides in makes him very similar to Silver age Mr. Freeze).

Jupiter is actually not the opposite of Platinum. The reason is that Jupiter is the same as Platinum if Platinum were to be a member of Team Galactic. She's powerful and she smart. The only real difference between her and Platinum is that Jupiter is physically imposing. If we were to continue with the Batman analogies, she would be like Bane. However, considering that Platinum's character arc is very similar to Bilbo instead of Batman, I would say that Saturn is more like Smaug.

The problem is that their sudden heel face turn to goodness at the end of the Platinum arc is that it completely ignores all of this great characterization. Although I like the ending of the Platinum arc (as it wraps up most of the incomplete plot threads), I do not like how said ending ruins these three great characters. I also didn't like how the Sinnoh trio did not fight their counter parts at the end. Instead we saw a bunch of other characters fight and defeat them; making the three main heroes look weaker as a result. We should have seen Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum fight the three Galactic Commanders and overcome them. That way, we as an audience can not only see them battle their counterparts again, but also see just how far these three have come. The first time they fought the Galactic commanders, they lost. Now, however, they are at the end of their journey. They have grown and have become more powerful. Now, the tables have turned and the battle is in the favor of the heroic trio. They are now able to overcome their counterparts.

The Platinum arc should have been less about the Battle Frontier, less about the partner NPCs from the game, and less about the Battleground. It should have been focused entirely on the three protagonist and the Galactic commanders (we can keep the plot involving Cyrus and Charon though). We should have seen more about how the three protagonist could have become like their counterparts and see them in situations where they not only have to face moral choices that they have to overcome (in order to actually use their Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic), but where they have to face choices that could put them on the path that their counterparts walk. This was the perfect opportunity to make the protagonist more interesting by exploring them and seeing them grow further. It should have been a compelling character drama instead of a mess with an ending that does an adequate job of concluding the mess (just in time for the ending of HGSS to come along and make it all a mess again).

Yes I know the galactic commanders are by no means side characters, I meant to say that even side characters like platinum's bodyguards were more interesting than herself and Pearl. Since I haven't read all that yet that post had some spoilers but luckily I don't mind spoilers lol
    Get yours from

Quote Originally Posted by 0xanimx0 View Post
    hmm, although I don't hate them, but those characters which are not my type to be fans of are pearl and emerald I guess. If we are talking only about dexholders that is.
    I can agree with this. While I don't particularly hate Pearl or Emerald, I find them less interesting and endearing overall than the other Pokedex characters.

This is Turtwig. He was the most under-appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Honestly, Red and Gold.

Gold because I find him really, really annoying.

Red because he has the generic "anime male lead" stereotypic personality. It's boring. Every Shounen anime male lead has this personality. I would really have preferred him to be portrayed differently.

There aren't a lot of Pokedex holders I particularly hate, though if other characters get a say with this... Sird. She's just a boring villain who can't stop appearing, that's all.
    Pokedex holders wise... My least favourite has to be Emerald. I mean, not like I have anything against him, but out of all of them I don't have a big liking of him. I found his character development a bit too unreasonable? Not exactly sure how to put it, but.
    Sapphire's development was also quite boring, if you were to put her next to Ruby.
    "I want you to make me a stepping stone so everyone can shine…!"

Ice Friend Safari - Snover / Bergmite / Cloyster
    Current and temporary Friend Safari is Grass - Tangela / Swadloon / Maractus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast