Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Grooming Furfrou (811)

So my speculation regarding Manectric proved true, which is pretty cool..

A fairly entertaining episode, despite Furfrou actually being one of my least favourite Kalos Pokémon.
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

Wow, just your typical rocket filler. I wasn't really expecting much else from this episode but they really just stuck to the formula.

Just finished this episode. It wasn't anything special, to be frank, and left me mostly indifferent. However, it was quite good for a filler and there were some highlights:

- Furfrou > I love the species and they showed my favorite combinations.
    - Meowth-Elmyra and Wobbuffet > I loved their disguises. Blonde Wobbuffet and Mona Wobbuffet were simply hilarious.
    - Manectric > same with Furfrou, I love the species and I liked the fact that it is a Jenny's Pokémon.
    - Ash vs. Team Rocket > the battle was quite impressive, with some clever strategies from Ash's part (like making sure that the Mirror Coated Thunderbolt hit Inkay). Also, Wobbuffet and Inkay were quite good opponents.

I'll give to this ep a 7/10. Nothing to write home about and is currently the weakest XY episode imo. Next episode seems definitely better.
    Last edited by Cresselia92; 28th November 2013 at 7:59 PM.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Check out my little sprite gallery by clicking here!

The fabulous looks of Wobbufet are just amazing. And they are funny too.

I made a tiny list. (sorry no pictures)
    Wobbufet as Napoleon Bonaparte
    Wobbufet with a Rainbow Afro
    Wobbufet with the same kind of ''hair'' on it's head as Fearrow haves
    Wobbufet as a schoolgirl
    Wobbufet with a huge wig from the period where those kind of wigs where in fashion in France (Including a ship on top)
    Wobbufet as the Mona Lisa
    Wobbufet as a fabulous French woman (Lipgloss included)
    Wobbufet playing tennis (pretty populair in France)

I just love those references to France.

The battle was pretty good as well. I missed the strategic Ash so I'm glad he is back. I'm also happy that Wobbufet battles as well. In the previous seasons it was just blast-off-fodder.

So I enjoyed it. 7,5/10
    Last edited by Pink Harzard; 28th November 2013 at 4:43 PM.

Currently in Hoenn.
    Claimed Scyther

Thanks to Chapter of Charizard for the Button
    PASBL explained ~ WF ~ Incoming absence alert
    Coming next year in the fanfic section:

Thank you Astral Shadow for the Banner

I was really impressed with the battle vs Team Rocket. Glad to see they're putting effort even into those.
    Wobbuffet is still being such a beast, they're treating him as an actual regular battler of TR.
    XY group / Amourshipping Christmas fan comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/1061...-were-a-bit-of

My art: http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Posting my review a bit early, aren't I? What better way to begin your Thanksgiving Day for us Americans than with some new Pokemon? I thought this was actually a pretty good episode, I can't not stress how apathetic I was toward this episode from the previews and how pleasantly surprised I was by the quality of it. I was excited for the Rhyhorn episode and was ultimately left cold/lukewarm by the actual episode itself. But this episode had an opposite impact and it worked well.

After last week I feel like the battle, character interactions and entertainment value are more up to scratch. I was a bit surprised this was not a Serena-focused episode, I think more general focus was given to Bonnie and Ash at times than Serena. Even the opening episode focus picture has Ash on it and not Serena. I guess everyone just assumed Serena would take the stage given that fashion was involved in this episode and she's stated to have an affinity for that.

Anyway, the blonde siblings continue to be very absorbing and compelling for me, Bonnie's wife gag coming up again was great, Bonnie wanting to help out was great, Bonnie's interactions with Jessica/Clemont were great, I could say pretty much everything about Bonnie was amusing this episode without a shadow of a doubt. The entertaining personality and myriad of great scenes with her are always engaging from start to finish for me. I never thought I would actually care for a character like Bonnie but she's just fantastic, a kid character who doesn't have a fundamental goal/quest at all.

I love how she tried to help out when Pikachu got blinded by Inkay, unfortunately Dedenne was asleep but I loved the scene regardless because it showed Bonnie very much wanted to help and didn't want the older trainers to save the day. Just like in episode one where she didn't want Ash or Clemont to forget about her during the Rocket fight, she was ready and willing to throw down right then and there, unfortunately Dedenne was asleep. But wouldn't it have been awesome to see Bonnie in her first battle and controlling Dedenne? I also liked how when she couldn't do anything, she simply gave the call to her brother to take care of things with Bunnelby, she only called Clemont when she absolutely had to. She's independent on her own and willing to step up to the plate and I love that about her and she's only like 7 or 8.

I liked how everyone got to do something in this episode, Serena's fawning over fashion, Bonnie's involvement and moments, Clemont's battling and moments, Ash's main battle focus as well. The battle was pretty good, even for a Rocket one, I expected it to not be good at all and was surprised. I liked the struggle and innovation with Pikachu and Ash's teamwork during the battle and how it reaffirmed just how much trust they have in each other and how TR's Pokemon actually managed pretty well on their own in this episode. I'm one of the people who's actually getting tired of TR, the way they used Wobbuffett as a defense while Inkay ran interference to deal with Pikachu was actually pretty smart, surprisingly. I also liked how Inkay managed to put away Manectric and establish itself as not being the usual, cute Psychic-baby of James' team, that's a first. I'm really surprised at the effort they put into a TR fodder battle for once. Ash's turnaround to save the day was fun to watch.

Animation was back up to par after last week's, the scoring and music worked well and I did like seeing the Furfrou trims. Didn't care about COTD, Jessica, much at all nor her teacher. But the other factors of the episode worked well and I gotta appreciate that last minute Lumiose foreshadowing as well. If I could have changed something, I think having Serena save Fennekin by hand and foot like Jessica did with her own Pokemon would have shown her off better. Going back to Manectric, seeing it under the care of Jenny made me wonder why not just use a dog Pokemon like Furfrou/Growlithe/Herdier/Houndour again. I wonder if we could see a Jenny use a Mega Manectric at some point, it'd certainly give more to Jenny in some sense.

Pretty good episode, I was astonished by the step up in entertainment value and interactions from last week a good deal.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 28th November 2013 at 5:31 PM.

You know I thought this episode was going to be a drag to watch since I don't particularly like Furfrou that match and I wasn't expecting anything special but the second phase of it was spectacular.

I have to agree that Wobbufet's modeling moments and Ash & Jenny VS TR were outstanding. I'm glad the writers have come to the conclusion that Wobbuffet can be a good battler and funny at the same time. I really liked how they portrayed Ash in this episode. He had that "Hold on I got this" moment and seeing him use the ink as an advantage rather than spike was great. That battle alone outplayed many battles that occurred in BW, mainly because it wasn't a OHKO Fest. It also looked like Clemont and Jessica were inspired by Ash's battling during that whole occurrence and then they both went full on badass to save Furfrou.

Basically the second phase of this episode made it worth watching, it was awesome. I'd give it a 8/10 just because of the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by zak13 View Post
    OK, This kinda of episodes are those generic boring crap ones from all these 10years.

2/10 Episode

I know many wouldn't share my opinion but to me if more of these generic GARBAGE coming out, i'll skip this series again as i did since B&W started.

Hope future Pokemon XY episodes not stuck in the classic Mediocrity.
    Get used to what you call generic garbage cause this is just the beginning. Pokemon thrives off its fillers and half of them aren't even that bad. This one was pretty good with an actually decent vs Team Rocket in it.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

From the pictures this actually looks like quite a good episode. Nice to see they're still prepared to show Wobbuffet as being able to battle rather than just being a punch-bag.

Officer Jenny's Manectric was a nice touch - I always enjoy it when screen time is given to an electric type that isn't a Pika-Clone.

Ash's battle alongside Jenny was great, there never has been enough of those two battling together.
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

Current Y team (champions)

Current X team (6th gym badge won)

I'll be honest here, I am totally biased with this review because of the good battle scenes in it. It's been a while since I enjoyed a filler from the beginning to the end. It was probably when BW started. I liked a couple of early BW fillers. Anyway, I enjoyed this episode. Every of the twenty minutes from the start to the end. I liked many things in here but let me begin with Bonnie/

Bonnie keeps this show alive. I am not exaggerating here. The chemistry between Ash, Serena and Clemont is okay, but not something you could call 'excellent'. But Bonnie! This girl literally runs the interaction department for the XY Series. She's easily one of my favorite characters here. Team Rocket were surprisingly good. Honestly, when Furfrou sniffed out where Team Rocket is, I was thinking along the lines "Ah boy. Now Ash and Co. will come and blast them off in two seconds. Typical TR filer." And I do admit, that's what happened here if you take a broad look at it. But still, the struggle between Ash and TR totally was good enough to turn my opinion on this episode.

The plot of the episode itself isn't that great though. I mean, if you remove the exciting battle scenes and look at the plot of this episode, it's just your standard "Help a random COTD" episode. The COTD itself wasn't particularly interesting. The amount of focus she received wasn't great too. But I did love the reason behind Furfrou not wanting to have a hair cut. Jessica didn't trust Furfrou completely and overcoming this is how she would get Furfrou to let it trim/brush her. I would have been amused by this, but after watching 800+ of Pokemon episodes, it's really hard to that. This plot is too formulaic and has gotten boring 10 years ago.

Another thing I'd like to talk about is Serena and Fennekin. I didn't really like how Serena is pushing Fennekin into the hands of the trimmers without asking her consent. I don't think she ever asked Fennekin if she was okay with the trimming. Fennekin on the other hand is still in awe of its trainer. It loves when Serena pays her attention and gives a delighted expression every time Serena appreciates her or brings her out of the Pokeball. She looks up to her trainer, watches everything she does (like baking in the last episode). In both the episode where she protects Serena from Vesipquen and the Rhyhorn episode, she pushes herself into the battle while Serena watches blankly. She's constantly sending a message to her trainer that she's willing to be used in a battle. Serena needs to be more confident and start using Fennekin a lot more. Heck, Bonnie is more confident than Serena because she was trying to use Dedenne in today's episode. Fennekin is one of the minor characters that caught my attention in the past few episodes. I think both Froakie and Fennekin are being characterized well. I hope the third, Chespin will be the same too.

The charisma stylist guy reminded me of Burgh. They have the same hair style and all. Not much to say about him.

Jenny's choice of Pokemon is interesting. Manetric looked really fierce, a Pokemon that fits a strong woman like Jenny. I personally prefer it over bland stuff like Growlithe, Herdier etc. Team Rocket putting her in a stalemate was certainly interesting though.

And the battle......like I said is the most interesting part of this episode. I liked the combination between Maiika and Wobuffet. Maiika was the attacker who also did well against physical attacks while Wobuffet did a good job against long ranged moves. Until the very end, TR did seem competent in the battle. Though this competency doesn't really translate into their "plot". Surely they seem like they are as badarse as their BW selves, but honestly they are not doing much here. They are just a glorified versions of the unbearable DPTR. But as long as they don't appear every episode and do something worthwhile when they do, I guess I wouldn't complaint as much as a few others would. But my point is, if people are disappointed by TR, they actually have a legit reason here.

Clemont had some interesting moments here. That embarrassing moment with Bonnie asking Jessica to be his wife was fun but at the same time seemed more natural than Brock's poison jabs (which got too much after some time). Well they are funny for now! I am not sure if I am correct, but every time Clemont wants to help someone, he doesn't most of times until Bonnie tells him too. Bonnie also tries to introduce him half the time. She introduces herself and says "My brother is....". He was reminded twice by Bonnie to help out in today's episode. Once when Pikachu's face was sprayed by ink. And another time when Jessica's Furfrou was trapped. He did act on his own when Jenny was hurt though. I am not sure why Bonnie keeps trying to help out her brother. Does he have confidence issues?

And uh, I typed up a lot. Those are the stuff I thought as I watched the episode. My overall opinion on this episode: Entertaining, but still formulaic. I'd give a biased 8/10.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Wait, did they just reveal what Serena might be interested in in this episode? I haven't watched it yet and people seem to be implying that.

I'd like to give pointers for Bonnie's wife searching gag for not including Joys and Jennies by the way. At least this way there's no way it'll become as repetitive as Brock's gag since the target is most likely always different.
    XY group / Amourshipping Christmas fan comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/1061...-were-a-bit-of

My art: http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

This was an okay episode but it would have to be my least favourite in XY so far.
    The highlight for me was Satoshi's battle against Team Rocket. I have to admit, it was pretty amazing. Absolutely loved it; it made the episode for me. He was so competent and didn't let a little ink on Pikachu's face get in the way of his battling. He even stopped Citron from helping lol

Again, I love Eureka in this episode! She is adorable and I love her marriage gag. Better than Brock's flirting gag for sure. SO I guess this means Eureka's into the whole older-girl thing since Jessica is older than Satoshi and co. I am glad she didn't overdo it and ask Officer Jenny or anything. It is kept in moderation which is good.

I was disappointed in how Serena did not try to rescue her Fokko with as much ardor as Jessica though. Ah well. Hopefully down the road they will build a stronger bond and it'll get better. Her Fokko is so cute though! Got another vibe from this episode that it is female.

Didn't care much about TR, but I think that them being able to battle slightly better than before is a good thing and an improvement. I got sick of the "blasting off so quickly thing". Meh, I am not a big fan of TR anymore anyway. They started to get annoying in BW and now I can't stand them very much.

Overall, I would give this episode 7/10. For a filler episode, it was actually pretty good compared to some past saga fillers imo. An improvement from BW's fillers by a lot. Not to mention the animation is stellar as always.

Quote Originally Posted by tak310 View Post
    am i the only one who sees a resemblance to the Mona Lisa?
    That was the intention...

Anyway, I find this episode with really impressive moments but if I had to highlight the best ones I'd say:
    - TR vs Ash looked amazingly good to be happening this soon. Great!
    - Wobbufet being fabulous. I actually laughed with this one:

Another great episode with memorable moments for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pink Harzard View Post
    The fabulous looks of Wobbufet are just amazing. And they are funny too.

I made a tiny list. (sorry no pictures)
    Wobbufet as Napoleon Bonaparte
    Wobbufet with a Rainbow Afro
    Wobbufet with the same kind of ''hair'' on it's head as Fearrow haves
    Wobbufet as a schoolgirl
    Wobbufet with a huge wig from the period where those kind of wigs where in fashion in France (Including a ship on top)
    Wobbufet as the Mona Lisa
    Wobbufet as a fabulous French woman (Lipgloss included)
    Wobbufet playing tennis (pretty populair in France)

I just love those references to France.

The battle was pretty good as well. I missed the strategic Ash so I'm glad he is back. I'm also happy that Wobbufet battles as well. In the previous seasons it was just blast-off-fodder.

So I enjoyed it. 7,5/10
    That's a reference to Marie Antoinette.

Oh, so it looks like I was wrong about fennekin revealing a move and instead it was shown that Inkay knows psychic. Inkay has a pretty good moveset for a rocket mon.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    Oh, so it looks like I was wrong about fennekin revealing a move and instead it was shown that Inkay knows psychic. Inkay has a pretty good moveset for a rocket mon.
    ...I haven't a clue why Bulbapedia has that info listed, the only Psychic move I remember Kojiro making a call for was Psybeam not "Psychokinesis"(Psychic).

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    ...I haven't a clue why Bulbapedia has that info listed, the only Psychic move I remember Kojiro making a call for was Psybeam not "Psychokinesis"(Psychic).
    Oh really? Huh, I remember Inkay firing off a beam that didn't look like psybeam at the time, but looking back at the pics I can see the shapes around the beam. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    James clearly says Saike Kousen, which is indeed Psy Beam. Besides Psychic can't confuse opponents. Psybeam can.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

does nintendo/pokemon have a sponsorship from a car company? lol because each car that has been shown so far in xy looks like a lot of work was put into it and i got distracted trying to figure what type of car it was in this episode

pokemon is a kids anime do not expect an amazing story, if you do not fall into the shows demographic dont complain about it

Decent enough filler, I liked the pacing and the climax at the end. Bonnie trying to find Clemont a wife looks like a promising running gag. I also thought they showed off Furfrou decently.
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013

Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    I think you chose the wrong picture.

The one at the end with Serena and Ash running off, with very background people images of Clemont and Bonnie would've portrayed that more.

Not Serena and Ash looking at each other talking to Officer Jenny.
    The only reason why ash and serena were in front was because clemont and bonnie stopped walking inworry when serena said "lets go to lumiouse city!"
    Friends are family you choose

This was filler in every shape and form. Probably my least favorite XY episode, which is funny since last episode was probably my fave XY episode. Bonnie getting injured at the start by Furfrou had me yelling child abuse by Pokemon. I didn't watch this episode subbed by I don't think I really had to as the plot of this episode spoke for itself and it's a plot we've seen done in Pokemon over a hundred different times already. I did like the Wobbuffet modeling and the fact that the blue blob is actually a strong battler now. I also enjoyed Bonnie directing Clemont to join the battle. Of course Ash wouldn't let him join, but if he had Clemont would have been the hero. Next episode

Fennekin was extra cute here. I enjoyed how it didn't seem to like want to go with TR from the start, but since they only bagged it, I was wondering why the little fox didn't free itself? I know it was for the point of the plot but Fennekin could have burned the bag. Oh well, Fennekin was cute. Have no idea what Serena said at the end and I believe this is the first time she used her Pokedex since using it on the Kalos Starters. Overall a meh filler, but we were bound to get these sooner or later.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

So I just watched the episode and truthfully I skipped to the team rocket battle because I knew watching it especially without subs would be boring.

After seeing the battle, all I can say is....amazing! I kinda wondered if bonnie was gonna battle or just send out dedenne for clemont to use. But anyway I liked ashs confidence and strategy in this battle. I also like how they showed clemont admiring him, it shows actual evidence of him being inspired by ash. It'll make it more believable when he improves.
    Friends are family you choose

Damn it!! Bulbapedia tricked me ....I got all happy that Inkay used Psychic and that this wasn't a filler but I just watched it and it totally didn't ...
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast