Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greninja Discussion Thread

Timid protean frog with surf, ice beam, dark pulse and U-turn makes the best revenge killer...I usually run wise glasses, choice specs or life orb...
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

Omega Ruby Team:

Is a timid, protean froakie x/x/31/31/31/31 even worth EV training?
    Signature edited due to exceeding font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    MF FC: 4227-2057-1261

National pokedex challenge completed!
    National pokedex completed 3 days before New Year.
    Thnx to all who helped me

Quote Originally Posted by Ajduk View Post
    Is a timid, protean froakie x/x/31/31/31/31 even worth EV training?
    Yes, because special attack and speed are all it uses in normal battle. U-turn isn't necessary, though it does help.

Just check...his HP IV score is 3. -.-'
    It is gonna die from...well...one hit from anything.
    Signature edited due to exceeding font size limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.

I personally would try for a better HP IV if it's that bad, but keep in mind that Greninja won't be taking many strong hits regardless of its HP. Even then, it's still worth training that Froakie, especially if you don't want to go through the trouble of getting perfect HP. 72/67/71 defenses won't help much with even resisted attacks, so you can get away with that if you don't want to go for the better HP.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

IVs really don't matter much at level 50 play. It has a 31 Speed IV (what really matters) and it isn't meant to take hits anyway, so the poor HP IV is negligible.

Well, it is shiny and I want to have a shiny competative Greninja.
    It is a shame that this one came from breeding a 6 IV Ditto with 5 IV froakie.
    Gonna save my game and start breeding with my male 6 IV Greninja in hopes of getting
    that HP and defense 31 as well since I want it to be the best that it can be.

EDIT:

On the other hand, I will give the little bastard a shot
    I already have a 6 IV Greninja to use in serious competitive so this one can at least be casual
    Last edited by Ajduk; 14th January 2014 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XXD17 View Post
    Timid protean frog with surf, ice beam, dark pulse and U-turn makes the best revenge killer...I usually run wise glasses, choice specs or life orb...
    Personally, I find Choice Specs to be counter-productive. Yeah, it packs more power than Life Orb, no one's denying that, but part of Greninja's utility is its ability to change types, which can make it harder to lock down, and Choice Specs makes Greninja a bit more predictable since you know what type it'll be stuck as, or it'll be forced to switch.

...But that's just me.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I've noticed that the defenses of greninja aren't up to par. Even though it's STAB ability is indeed powerful and it's speed is very good, from battles i've had with this Pokemon i've noticed how unthreatening it can truly be to a prepared team. Ferrothorn is the perfect counter imo because the switch in happens and the leftovers bring it up to around 90 then a t-wave to reck the speed as well as keep the typing. then a power whip to put it down is all that's needed. The pokemon that fall short to Greninja imo though are: unscarfed dragon types, sub using fire types, other greninja(depending on role), Terrakion, and Alakazam.

With Greninja you have a good Pokemon but with such sets as Life Orb.. You have a few chances to make it count. Wrong prediction and its ability to not take too many hits, it can get phased out very easily.

Seen scarf variants as revenge killers... It is fast enough to not scarf IMO

I love Greninja but I just find him underwhelming. He's way too frail and only really effective at revenge killing.

how convenient thats what it does. Greninja has fallen from favor tho i've noticed, tho with mega luc and conkeldurr on nearly every team, the frog has trouble working. Also has a lot of competition with genesect, so greninja does get off well with the new bans

so some common sets for greninja are always hydro pump, ice beam, and U-turn with the last move being Extrasensory or dark pulse. my question is which move is better for greninja in the end dark pulse or Extrasensory? and why?
    White 2 Friend code : 1508-0208-9881
    Pokémon X Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079

Depends on your team.

Extrasensory is good for Megasaur, while Dark Pulse hits Aegislash and other ghosts hard, although age far is KO'd by either.

I think Greninja's problem it's predictable. Goodra owns it because the obvious ice beam is checked by a flamethrower.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Trainer Riana View Post
    I think Greninja's problem it's predictable. Goodra owns it because the obvious ice beam is checked by a flamethrower.
    The thing is that Greninja is good at what it does - forcing switches and gaining momentum on them. Not only is it a decent wallbreaker, it also serves as a scout; I personally use it as a way of scaring out the counters to my main sweeper and bringing in things it can handle.

The bans of Mega Luke and Genesect really helped Greninja, as they took the roles of "fast, frail sweeper that can gain momentum" and pulled them off better than Greninja ever could. It'll never be as good as people thought it would be when the hype train went through Kalos, but things are looking up for it.

Goodra isn't as common as he used to be with the bans. In all honesty, there is nothing stopping Greninja from U-Turning into a teammate who can stomache the weak hits that Goodra throws out. Considering that Goodra loses to 90% of all physical attackers, that doesn't say much about Greninja, since he wouldn't stay in anyways. And just switch into one of those physical attackers.

Goodra is a poor example because it's equally predictable. If you see a Goodra in today's metagame, odds are it's carrying an Assault Vest (over half of Goodra being used do so). In which case, why would a Greninja do anything other than U-Turn out of there? Greninja only 3HKOs Goodra, so unless you're in dire straights, you won't be staying in anyway. Goodra's more of a counter than a check, and even then, this is true of a lot of special attackers, that can't really break the vest wearing slime dragon. It's not really a Greninja exclusive thing, you know?

252 SpA Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 151-182 (39.3 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Edit: Since my post was a little vague, I realize Goodra does have a considerably larger pool of viable moves. The mention of it being predictable was in the sense that it's almost always going to go Assault Vest + 4 Attacks, and it's pretty much always gonna counter a considerable number of special attackers regardless of the moves it uses, such that you know it's pretty much always a fool's endeavor to try and keep your Greninja (in addition to a number of other special attackers) in on Goodra.
    Last edited by KillerDraco; 20th March 2014 at 2:42 PM.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

My Greninja-

Focus Sash
    Protean

Mat Block
    Ice Beam
    U-Turn
    Dark Pulse
    X Dex: 719/719.
    OR Dex: Starts Jan 2.

3DS Name: Imran
    IGN (X): Imran
    IGN (OR): You decide!
    FC: 4356-0251-3424.

Wi-Fi is currently down. Can't trade now, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by imran3 View Post
    My Greninja-

Focus Sash
    Protean

Mat Block
    Ice Beam
    U-Turn
    Dark Pulse

Umm... No...

Life Orb > Focus Sash

Hydro Pump >>>>>>Mat Block

Set should be this:
    Greninja @ Life Orb
    Protean
    Timid/Naive Nature
    EVs: 4 Atk 252 SpAtk 252 Spe
    -Hydro Pump
    -Dark Pulse/ Extra Sensory
    -U-Turn
    -Ice Beam

I use it for triples actually. And my life orb is with Zoroark.
    Yeah, it's Timid also.

Quote Originally Posted by imran3 View Post
    I use it for triples actually. And my life orb is with Zoroark.
    Yeah, it's Timid also.
    Should've mentioned that.

And why don't you have surf?

Sorry about that.

I don't want my Blaziken to die . And if I did bring in a Gastrodon, he'd steal all my Surfs for his SP attack. (If not so, then I'd be happy). The prob is, I'm still looking for a Gastrodon. I'll post it on that forums.

Why do I see greninjas running scald now? Is there something I wasn't aware of? I mean even after a burn, greninja would still be kinda frail...
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

Omega Ruby Team:

@Blazer, thanks for helping me out. WIll try for Surf on Gastrodon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast