Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #008

Default Community POTW #008

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week and, as it's for the week that encompasses Christmas, we're going with the newest Ice-type Pokémon

It's Avalugg, the beastly ice Pokémon. Avalugg has decent physical stats, but horrific Special stats, but is still capable of a great deal

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/713.shtml

Go nuts

Default Avalugg

Avalag
    Brave Nature
    252 HP/ 252 Atk
    Ice Body
    -Rapid Spin
    -Crunch
    -Avalanche
    -Earthquake

Avalugg could have become the ideal spinner. It has the great stats and the power to defeat spin blockers but it has the most horrid defensive typing in the game. Ice types only resist itself.

Rapid Spin nuff said. Crunch kills spin blockers. Avalanche because it is the best physical Ice type move he has. Earthquake for steels.

Forgot it had Recover..

Avalugg... what gave Nintendo the idea of letting us encounter a quite cool pokémon in the form of Bergmite, only to turn it into something hidious by letting it evolve into a flipped iceberg on legs...

On the other hand, Avalugg is a phenomenal physical tank that can take any hit on that side of the spectrum with ease. And with the addition of Assault Vest, our iceberg may actually take some surprise special hits as well...

This Berg can't twerk - and for that, we thank him!
    Ability: Sturdy
    Sassy nature (- Speed + Sp. Def), 252 HP, 128 Atk, 128 Sp. Def
    @ Assault Vest
    - Avalanche
    - Earthquake
    - Rapid Spin/4th move
    - Gyro Ball/Mirror Coat

Since I usually battle with LV50's Pokémon, I can only say something useful about the stats created then. With this setting, Avalugg reaches a defensive spread of 202/204/135, making it semi bulky against specials, and still a beast against physical moves. Avalanche for STAB, and due to its speed it also will be at great power. Earthquake to hit Fires, Steels and Rocks. Rapid Spin can be useful to erase entry hazards, but should you run a defogger next to Avalugg one of the other moves may be better. Gyro Ball hits Fairies hard, Mirror Coat can be surprising against Specials, and gives you an answer against special sweepers in tandem with Sturdy.
    Last edited by BorrelnootjeNL; 15th December 2013 at 3:10 PM. Reason: Forgot word at EV spread

The first 6th gen pokemon to be chosen by the RNG. Doesn’t look horrendous, but I haven’t got far enough to encounter it yet…

Typing: Ugh right out of the gate and this is starting to look bad. Avalugg is a pure Ice type, the worst monotype in the game. 4 weaknesses in exchange for 1 resistance? Dear Dialga, that’s bad. A vulnerability to Stealth Rock on top of the exposure to the other entry hazards does not help life expectancy either.
    The one thing that can be said for Ice in its favor is its powerful STAB; Dragons, Grass, Ground, Flying all fear the creeping bite of Ice. Unfortunately, as many types resist Ice as there are those who are weak to it, but it is still a bright point for a mono Ice.

Stats: One look at Avalugg’s stats and I immediately think of Rock types like Rhyperior and Gigalith, with stat distributions leaning heavily on ATK and DEF with above average HP at the cost of the Specials and SPD. While Rhyperior has enjoyed a degree of popularity, Gigalith fell by the wayside. Avalugg is arguably the worst of the behemoths. Avalugg has by far the best DEF of the three, sitting at a whopping 184, eclipsing even Deoxys-D in DEF. Its HP is good too, sitting just shy of 100. Avalugg’s attack is poor when compared to the two rock behemoths. While base 117 ATK is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, it lacks stopping power against more defensive foes. What really kills Avalugg though, is its SDEF. Base 46 is inexcusable; even Rhyperior has higher SDEF. Avalugg is faster than Gigalith, but that’s not going to win it awards and would be detrimental in Trick Room. Its SATK is not worth mentioning.

Moves: Avalugg does have moves to complement its ATK while raising its DEF to even more ridiculous heights. In addition to Avalanche as an Ice STAB, Avalugg supplements its physical move pool with Crunch, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Gyro Ball, with Curse to further emphasize the living avalanche’s strong and weak points. Avalugg’s support movepool holds a few surprises; in addition to the standard weather inducing moves and Toxic, Rapid Spin, Recover, Mist, Roar and Mirror Coat give Avalugg a needed helping hand and giving it a lot of utilitarian support for its team.

Ability: Go with Sturdy. Own Tempo is completely situational and barring a Machamp’s Dynamic Punch (which you do not want to be eating in any case) you won’t get good mileage out of it. Ice Body has merit on Hail Teams, but with the nerf that weather abilities got this generation, and the weakness of hail teams in general, this is again situational (but less so than Own Tempo). Preventing yourself from being OHKO by special attacks has the most merit, but even then is poor on such a defensive pokemon.

The Verdict: Get out the flamethrowers. Avalugg has a few things going for it. Its defense ensures that it is a check against physical sweepers and can provide needed support for the team. Yet at the same time, Avalugg needs heavy support, or a rain of special moves will stop the avalanche before it reaches the bottom of the mountainside.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

AVALUGG!
    An.. ugly, I dare say *gasp* Gen 6 poke.
    BTW for ability, sturdy is the way to go unless your using hail (which you shouldn't be.)

Armylugg
    Impish, 252HP/SpD, 4 Atk
    Assault Vest
    -Avalanche
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Rapid Spin/IceBeam (NOT GYRO BALL.)
    Assault Vest brings light to pokemon like avalugg. Those pokemon with great, one sided defense and a decent offense, they benefit the most from this item. If you use this avalugg, be wary: you will almost NEED a wish/aromatherapy user. Avalanche works well as stab, as avalugg is slow. Earthquake and stone edge are convenient, and Rapid Spin is team support, while Ice beam is a situational defense against other physical walls, like Rhyperior, Golem, or Skarmory. (This thing is gonna be low RU/High NU, if i predict well, so I'm not too far off, saying these are its counters)

I Lug(g) my regrets.
    Sassy, 252HP/SpD, 4 Atk
    Lefites
    -Curse
    -Avalanche
    -Recover
    -Earthquake
    This set works well with Special Sponges like Blissey, Gastrodon, or Tentacruel. I mention water types, as avalugg's main threat is special fire types, and the two I've mentioned wall most special fire threats, bar mixed infernapes(Grass Knot, Thunder Punch) Also, with gastrodon, you can counter grass types, its biggest threat. And your both slow, so you can use trick room.

Enough about synergy. Curse when you see something you can safely (from status/too much damage) curse against, and go to town using avalanche, recover, and earthquake to your heart's content.
    3DS: 0387-9436-2508: Friend Safari has Magmar, Ninetails, and Charmelon!
    PM meh. btw.

( I claim the master of all Grass Warriors )
    Breloom

Legit, non-eventShinys as of Diamond and Pearl:
    and now skrelp!

Ice Body w/ Focus Sash/Lum Berry/Leftovers
    Brave/Relaxed w/ 252 Defense, 252 Attack, 6 HP
    Avalanche
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Gyro Ball/Hail

Countering
    High Defense and Sp Attack with Fire/Fighting/Rock/Steel-type moves like Flash Cannon Kingdra, Aura Sphere Clawitzer, Chandelure, or Slowbro.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

If there's one thing Avalugg is good at, it's an Inverse battle. It's typing makes it one of the most defensive Pokemon out there in these types of battles but outside of it, it's just not good at all.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

The Opposing Titanic Fainted!
    Avalugg@Muscle Band/Leftovers
    Brave nature
    Sturdy
    252 Atk/252 HP/4 Defense
    ~Avalanche
    ~Earthquake
    ~Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    ~Recover/Mirror Coat

At first glance, Avalugg looks like a terrible Pokémon- beastly Defense wasted on the worst defensive type in the game. However, one quickly finds out that that monstrous Defense stat actually compensates for the bad type- seriously, try KOing Avalugg with Flare Blitz, or Stone Edge, or Close Combat, and see how far you get. Now then, it's like Avalanche was made for Avalugg- between its high Attack and awesome Defense, more often than not, Avalugg will be meeting the requirements to double the move's power. And its low Speed means it won't mind going last, as it usually does that anyway. Earthquake and Rock Slide/Stone Edge (whichever you prefer- more accuracy or more power) are for coverage. Recover is for, well, recovery. And as for Mirror Coat, that plus Sturdy make for a nasty little surprise for anyone looking to OHKO it with a special attack.

Item is for boosting Avalugg's already nice Attack, though Leftovers is also nice for recovery. Ability helps with overall survivability on the special side.

Other options:
    *Avalugg gets Rapid Spin, but generally, it's preferable for something not so weak to Stealth Rock to take that role. Still, if you can cram it in anywhere on the above set, feel free.
    *Gyro Ball is an attractive option, between Avalugg's high Attack and low Speed, especially with all the Fairy types out there.

Abilities:
    *Own Tempo: Avalugg can't be confused. Rarely an issue in any case. Moving on.
    *Ice Body: Every turn during a hailstorm, Avalugg restores a bit of HP. This could have its uses, but not so much since Snow Warning's nerf.
    *Sturdy: Avalugg's Hidden Ability. If Avalugg is at full health and takes a hit that would KO it, it survives with one HP instead, and is outright immune to all OHKO moves. This is the Ability of choice for any Avalugg- even if you're not running Mirror Coat, you'll want this to survive a special attack and strike back with avalanche.

Partners:
    If Avalugg isn't already your Rapid Spin support, then get some Rapid Spin support to it. A nice Special wall like Chansey is also a decent idea.

Counters:
    Avalugg is woefully frail on the special side, so aim there. Any Dark-type special attacker can freely assault Avalugg with special moves without having to fear Mirror Coat- just be wary of Avalanche or its other attacks.

Opinion:
    The stereotype that Ice-types make for terrible defensive Pokémon is the Titanic, and Avalugg is the iceberg that sank it. I like Avalugg a lot, both in terms of design and usability.

Prediction for next week:
    Wobbuffet.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Heaper View Post
    If there's one thing Avalugg is good at, it's an Inverse battle. It's typing makes it one of the most defensive Pokemon out there in these types of battles but outside of it, it's just not good at all.
    But remember, then you have to deal no coverage against dragon, and bug types.
    PM meh. btw.

Breloom

and now skrelp!

Quote Originally Posted by ajgrocks100 View Post
    But remember, then you have to deal no coverage against dragon, and bug types.
    It won't care about it's attack coverage, just it's ability to defend itself and rapid spin. It carries EQ and Stone Edge anyway. Bugs will hate the first, and depending on their secondary types, dragons will probably hate one of the as well.

Talking about inverse battles feels so awkward.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by zachmac View Post
    talking about inverse battles feels so awkward.
    XDDDDDD
    so darn true
    PM meh. btw.

Breloom

and now skrelp!

How many defensive Ice types does Gamefreak need to make before they are satisfied? Why can't we get another Ice type like Weavile: offensive to the bone?
    With that out of my system, Avalugg has some good stuff to be a defensive Pokemon (except for the bad type). It has Recover, Sturdy, Rapid Spin, pretty good HP, a monster defense stat, Ice Body, and a passable attack stat to prevent it from being Taunt bait. You can even take a surprise offensive with Assault Vest thanks to a passable movepool.
    There is one major problem: Avalugg is a pure Ice type. It has no immunities, it takes heavy damage from Stealth Rock, resists only Ice, and is weak to common attack types: Fire, Fighting, Rock, and Steel. You are also vulnerable to all forms of entry hazards and Slowbro can outrun it.
    If you really want to use Avalugg, do one of two things (or both):
    a) Have a Trick Room team.
    b) Make sure special attackers are readily handled.

Titanic Sinker
    Nature: Sassy/Brave/Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP and attack, 4 Special Defense
    @: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet

Rapid Spin
    Avalanche
    Recover
    Earthquake

Self explanatory.

What happens if I flip over?
    Nature: Brave
    Ability: Sturdy/Ice Body
    EVs: 252 Attack and HP, 4 special defense
    @: Leftovers

Curse
    Gyro Ball
    Recover/Earthquake/Rapid Spin
    Avalanche

This can work in or out of Trick Room. Just make sure you know what you are doing.

Mirror mirror on the Iceberg...
    Nature: Brave/Adamant
    EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 defense
    @: Custap Berry

Mirror Coat
    Recover
    Avalanche
    Curse

I can't conclude movesets without a potential Mirror Coat set because Avalugg's stats, ability, and movepool are screaming to make use of Mirror Coat. The idea is to encourage a special attack and heal up with recover. That Custap Berry will help make sure Recover is used. Curse can act as extra motivation to tempt Mirror Coat. Avalanche is the best STAB move Avalugg has, in case you did not know.

Concave Mirror to Convex Mirror
    Nature: Brave/Adamant
    EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 defense
    @: Assault Vest

Mirror Coat
    Avalanche
    Rapid Spin
    Earthquake

This one will probably only work once, but it can get rid of something that can be causing you problems like Heliolisk, Heatran, Gengar, Mega Blastoise, Noivern, Starmie, or others. I don't recommend it.
    I claim Buizel.

Avalanche works well as stab, as avalugg is slow.
    Now then, it's like Avalanche was made for Avalugg- between its high Attack and awesome Defense, more often than not, Avalugg will be meeting the requirements to double the move's power.
    You guys do know Avalanche has decreased priority, right? Avalugg's low speed doesn't even matter most of the time.

Ice type did not get much love this generation:

> Fairy type hits Dragons SE. Previously the #1 reason to use Ice, but now done much better by the new type, since they're also immune to Dragon type attacks and overall better defensively.

> The introduction of Fairies might also make more Pokémon carry Steel type attacks, which doesn't sound good at all for Ice Pokémon.

> Grass types are immune to powder and spore moves now. This just might mean more teams will carry them and Ice type is a good counter… Just like every other counter out there. Grass has the most weaknesses of all types (tied with Rock), so this doesn't really do any good for poor Ice anyway.
    Last edited by eworm; 15th December 2013 at 7:18 PM.

I know people sometimes don't like it when someone compares the POTW to another Pokemon, but when I think of Avalugg, I always think of Cryogonal. Both of these guys have access to Rapid Spin and Recover, and both specialize in one defense. What's cool is that Avalugg is a better damage dealer than Cryogonal due to having higher Attack than Cryogonal's Sp. Attack, and as far as being a wall, Avalugg's higher HP and awesome defense let it tank physical attacks better than Cryogonal can take special attacks. That gives Avalugg an edge.

Here's some of the issues, though. As it has been said, Ice is a terrible (if not the worst) defensive type. A nasty Stealth Rock weakness is never helpful, especially for a Pokemon that is supposed to get rid of entry hazards. At least Cryogonal has Levitate so it is immune to the other three hazards (Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Sticky Web), whereas Avalugg is hit by all of them. That's bad. Cryogonal also has higher Speed, which means that depending on the opponent, it might not have to tank a hit simply due to its Speed, or it can Recover before it gets hit. Finally, if it wanted to, Cryogonal can actually attempt to patch up its terrible Defense with Acid Armor or Reflect (not that you will always see that), whereas Avalugg has no way to patch up its Sp. Defense outside of using an Assault Vest, which can backfire on the fact that Recover is such a cool move.

Overall, Avalugg does actually have some advantages that make it a usable Pokemon. It just doesn't help that Ice-type + terrible Sp. Defense makes its life more difficult.
    Let's face it: ferret-esque Pokemon are the most epic Pokemon ever (to me)!!!!!! Why can't Nintendo make ones that AREN'T NU Pokemon?!? One of these guys in standard would make me quite happy.

Started by jesusfreak94:
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9186-8386 Pokemon Found: Mienfoo, Throw, Breloom

^ Re: Furret Master's sig. Says you. My Slivers are invincible. Or so I'd like to imagine :P

Let's get this out of the way: Avalugg is going to suck at taking special hits. Nothing can be done to prevent that. With that and a huge weakness to common attack types physically (Fighting, Rock), it's going to have a hard time finding a niche.

That being said, it can fight back fairly well. On even ground, it can go toe-to-toe with quite a few targets offensively. A quick calculation indicates that without putting any emphasis on attack, it can match Tyranitar blow for blow if neither take in a switch. It can easily force changes out of quite a few physical sweepers. With access to Rapid Spin and Recover, it's got uses still. With that in mind, it going blow for blow is a huge weakness for it, as it needs to take in the hit first. Also, any special attack can deal into the 60% range with OHKO range damage from super effective special attacks. Which are fairly available.

No Snowflake in an Avalugg Ever Feels Responsible
    Relaxed nature (- Speed + Def)
    w/ Leftovers
    252 Def/252 HP/4 Atk

Earthquake
    Avalanche
    Recover/Protect
    Toxic/Rapid Spin

Basic concept is to be a tank. Plain and hard. Many common physical attackers (Mamoswine, Breloom, I THINK Aegishield) can't keep up with it. This set has a great chance of OHKOing Heatran if they're crazy enough to try to bring him in as a counter. Avalanche and Earthquake hit quite a bit of pokemon, though Stone Edge and Earthquake would do better. Recover or Protect can be used variant on how you like your healing and whether you want some scouting. Toxic is a great gift to leave the special sweepers that try to counter you. Especially if you play it with Protect or a traditional stall team. Rapid Spin makes him a possible alternative to traditional spinners. For those tired of using Tentacruel, this is a decent alternative.

Other options for attacks are quite varied in Avalugg. Stone Edge and Earthquake are a great combination. Gyro Ball, though low in targets, may deal amazing damage because of Avalugg's stupid low speed. Crunch can take care of other Rapid Spin blockers. If you're feeling more in the sweeping mood, Curse can make it an effective bulky sweeper. However, this seems unlikely as its weak points in special attacks are a mile wide and trying to set it up to end the game is going to be a lot of work.

Countering this is unfortunately very easy though. Basically any mixed sweeper set of a physical sweeper can catch this off guard. Lucario eats this thing for breakfast, as would Scizor...and they are extremely common. A few bulky physical sweepers like Tyranitar will survive with a small bit of health left and Ferrothorn can generally take Avalugg as a time to set up.

Avalugg's best place is likely on a traditional stall team, where it can find synergy with other walls that can cover up its weak spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Furret Master View Post
    I know people sometimes don't like it when someone compares the POTW to another Pokemon, but when I think of Avalugg, I always think of Cryogonal. Both of these guys have access to Rapid Spin and Recover, and both specialize in one defense. What's cool is that Avalugg is a better damage dealer than Cryogonal due to having higher Attack than Cryogonal's Sp. Attack, and as far as being a wall, Avalugg's higher HP and awesome defense let it tank physical attacks better than Cryogonal can take special attacks. That gives Avalugg an edge.
    Cryognal has acsess to Freeze Dry, Knock Off, and a Great Speed to boot. It was one of my favorite spinners in RU as well, due to the speed. It really is up to personal preference, which one you like better.

Personally, I take cryognal. Its hilarious looking at its face, especially on showdown, where i named one "U PISS MEH OFF."
    PM meh. btw.

Breloom

and now skrelp!

Avalugg @ Leftovers
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    ~Avalanche
    ~Recover
    ~Rapid Spin
    ~Earthquake / Roar / Stone Edge

I always keep thinking that Avalugg's design is unfinished. It seriously looks like half of it was just accidentally cut out.

Everything's Better With Spinning
    Avalugg @ Leftovers
    EV: 4 Attk 252 HP 252 Defense
    -Rapid Spin
    -Recover
    -Curse
    -Avalanche

To be entirely honest, Avalugg is niche and is rather worthless without Rapid Spin + Recover. But hey, you can also curse up and become a juggernaut right? Sure, just as long as you stay away from that fire...

The Titanic's Worst Nightmare
    Avalugg @ Assault Vest
    EV : 4 Attack 252 HP 252 Defense
    - Rapid Spin
    -Avalanche
    - Earthquake/ Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    Or you could screw it and try to cover up that weakness to special attacks. Neat but you lose that oh so, vital Recover. It's something, I guess.

Shipwrecker in Training
    Bergmite @ Eviolite
    EV: 4 Def 252 HP 252 Sp. Def
    - Rapid Spin
    - Recover
    - Curse
    - Avalanche

Like most defensive pokemon, Avalugg suffers from Chansey syndrome. It's pre-evo has better defenses but trades away the healing from leftovers. It's all a matter of preference, otherwise they work exactly the same. Personally, being an already shaky niche pokemon likely to be out-classed by other spinners, Avalugg needs the healing from leftovers. Also, if your going the slightly more adorable route of Bergmite, you're going to need a lot of those curses if you actually want to damage something. And I mean a LOT. But it's defensive pokemon, so who cares?! ... I do.
    Insert witty catchphrase here.

Avalugg...huh...well, uh...it's a decent Physical Wall like most Rock Types, but suffers from being an Ice Type.

Stats:
    -HP - Good-bordering-Great - While it won't allow for 101+ HP Substitutes, Base 95 is huge. The few Ice Types with higher are either Water Types, legendaries, or immune to Sandstorm.
    -Attack - Great-bordering-Godly - Base 117? Sweet! Good Physical Movepool? Double sweet!
    -Defense - Incredible - Base 184 makes Avalugg 5th best on Defense. Only Shuckle, Mega-Aggron, Steelix, and Regirock have better, but Avalugg has an advantage in HP.
    -Sp.Atk - Bad - Thinking of using Special Moves with Avalugg? Get your brain checked for tumors immediately. We've gone over sub-50 Base Stats before - they're crap...
    -Sp.Def - Bad - *pained grunt*...and this Stat is worthy of the Angry Video Game Nerd's vitriol-filled commentary. Base 46 is one point above Delibird's Sp.Def. Let that sink in...and now realize you have Mirror Coat as an option.
    -Speed - Good (Trick Room) - Base 28 makes Avalanche and Mirror Coat's negative priority less predictable, plus Curse and Gyro Ball are in your arsenal.

Abilities:
    -Own Tempo - Blocks Confused Status. Pretty nice for a Physical Attacker, but not too useful when you're as fragile as an icicle to Special Moves.
    -Ice Body - Healed by Hail. Pretty nice for a tank, but, again, Special Moves = Big Problem.
    -Sturdy (Hidden, Available) - Leaves you with 1 HP if you would be KO'd from 100% HP and immune to OHKO Moves. Makes for a nasty Mirror Coat and even nastier if you can somehow get back to 100% HP.

Avalugg is pretty good on paper, but has some obvious problems. On a side note, it's an interesting Doubles and Triples option thanks to the Slide-Quake combo, Allies with Heal Pulse, and bigger threats drawing attention away from Avalugg.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Most people say that given Avalugg's amazing defense, he has the worst typing to go with it. While this may be true, a good team to set up Avalugg could have people sailing directly into their deaths with no chance to steer clear.

ICEBERG RIGHT AHEAD!
    Avalugg - Hold Item:Weakness Policy/Leftovers
    Ability:Sturdy/Ice Body
    Nature: Careful/Relaxed/Impish
    EV: 252HP, 252 Sp. Def, 4Att
    -Avalanche
    -Recover/Hail
    -Earthquake
    -Gyro Ball/Mist

Avalugg, while having many flaws, can become an unstoppable force when set up properly. This method revolves around Baton Pass and setting up for it. Starting with a Baton Pass user such as Drifblim, and a protector such as Greninja, you can Mat Block and Amnesia on your first turn to sharply raise Drifblim's defense while not having to worry about taking damage. Depending on your opponent, you should know whether Drifblim can take enough hits to use Amnesia again, whether you should protect, or set up a substitute to be Baton Passed. Baton passing at the right time depends totally on your opponent's pokemon. If you feel Drifblim's Hp isn't enough to sustain an attack, use it sooner. Even 1 amnesia is enough to double Avalugg's Sp Def. Whether or not Greninja has died, you can use him to set up stage hazards/weather or taking out an enemy Pokemon. If he has died, now is your chance to send out an Eviolite Chansey which can help your "Northern Wall of Briggs(Avalugg)" to stay the fortress that it is.

In best conditions, your Avalugg will end up with a whopping 5XX(250 flat rules) defense and 7XX(350 Flat rules) Sp. Def. In the worst, you can raise his Sp . Def a bit and rely on Chansey to heal while going straight for an offensive approach.

Other Options:
    1.ACCURACY
    -Minimize or Double team on Drifblim can also be baton passed. Switching out your Weakness Policy/Leftovers for Bright Powder on Avalugg can make him the biggest Iceberg no one's ever hit.
    -Exact opposite of above, make Avalugg the iceberg you can't avoid hitting. Using Telekenisis on Avalugg causes him to be immune to ground type attacks, while making all attacks hit him 100%. Combining this with Rocky helmet can help whittle down your opponents hp while smacking em with Avalanche right after.

2.While Rain Dance does not help an Ice Body Avalugg, it can help lower the power of Fire-type moves that can be devastating.
    3.Aromatisse Can be a good addition to the team as well, providing Aromatic Mist as well as Heal Pulse and Reflect/Light Screen.

Greninja's appearance on a team can be very confusing for opponents. Expecting a speedy team and switching out to slow walls can be to your advantage if your opponent decides to trick room.

Counters: Stat resetting moves can destroy this setup. Always have a backup plan, as this setup can be hard to maintain.

The Titan of Titans

Avalugg
    Item: Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature
    - Recover
    - Avalanche
    - Gyro Ball
    - Earthquake

Avalugg is a major defense tank but has a low special defense so the EVS are meant to increase the SDef as the defense is already high and the sassy nature is to increase the SDef even further. and to decrease the speed. Recover to well recover your health, avalanche is a good STAB, gyro ball is further fits well with avalugg's low speed and the sassy nature, earthquake to deal with fire, rock and steel types which is 75% of its weakness.

Not sure if a CurseBall set is viable on Avalugg... Then again, not sure how many sets actually ARE viable for him to run. Curse + Gyro Ball is at least an interesting option for him to, dare I say, sweep?

Sweep up this ice!
    Item: Leftovers
    Brave nature
    EV's: 252 SpDef, 252 Atk, 4 def/HP
    -Curse
    -Gyro Ball
    -Avalanche
    -Earthquake/Recover/Rapid Spin

Could be interesting in a trick room, though Avalanche loses power if you go first. EQ gives coverage, Recover helps you stay alive, Rapid Spin can give utility. Any special attack will wreck, and Vest can't be used alongside Curse. Consider just dropping any special defense and going all physical, then only using it after all special attackers on the enemy team have been dealt with?

Again, not sure if viable, but it's a possibility, especially with its abysmal speed...

If you look past it's typing, Curse Aavalugg is still not viable. In order for it to work, you have to get rid of any and all special attackers, unlike the traditional Tyranitar & Snorlax. The difference is that T-tar and Snorlax both have great special defense.

If you just forward, you can see Bulk Up Conkeldurr pulling off a similar rule to the Cursers. However, this is because of it's powerful priority and it's ability to break through walls, and Aavalugg carries neither blessings.

It's actually pretty difficult to find a niche for a defensive pokemon with such poor typing and special defense. Spinner for an ice-type mono team?

If you do run curse, at least, Recover should be considered as well.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 16th December 2013 at 6:46 AM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Avalugg@Leftovers
    Relaxed Nature
    252 Atk/252 Def/4HP

-Recover
    -Avalanche
    -Mirror Coat
    -Earthquake

Although Trick Room basically laughs in the face of this 'Lugg, Mirror Coat especially laughs in the face of its opponents. Especially with its low weakness against special attacks, having an Avalugg with Mirror Coat, Leftovers and Recover is basically a surefire way to KO the opponent, taking for granted that entry hazards and weather effects haven't taken your Sturdy away. Avalanche, on the other hand, deals with physical attackers, as Avalugg is that one Pokémon who tanks through everything physical- half the damage for double the return. However, a problem are Rock types, Fire types and Fighting types- and unless you get hit full in the face with a Focus Blast, you aren't going to have much trouble with the former as a physical type. However, Rock and Fire types are more problematic, as they have a wider variety of Special Attacks. Earthquake, however, deals with them.
    This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Earth Wolf-Howl (formerly Warrior Scolipede)

FC: 2707-2741-9594
    Friend Safari: Sunkern, Sawsbuck, Maractus

I have claimed Pyroar!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast