Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community POTW #008

Overview
    Avalugg has higher than average Attack and has a really high defense. However its Speed and Special Attack is really low, but it also have something to overcome its weakness. Unfortunately, even if it can kill Special Attacker with Mirror Coat, it will usually kill only 1 Pokemon because it is too slow to outspeed almost anything and can't use a Priority move
    Positive
    -Has really high Defense and also above averages Attack
    -Has access to both Sturdy and Mirror Coat making it able to kill Special Attacker easily
    -Has access to Rapid Spin, although it is not the best rapid spinner
    -Can use Recover which makes it be able to use Sturdy again
    -Being Slow makes it take advantage of Avalanche

Negative:
    - Even being slow gives it advantages, it gets outspeed by most slow Pokemon too
    - Even if it can be a Rapid Spinner, Stealth Rock deals 25% of its health to it, also Stealth Rock can make Sturdy useless unless it uses Recover
    - Special Attacker can kill it easily if it get hits by Stealth Rock.

Ability
    Own Tempo: Can rarely be useful, but it still can stop it from being confuse which might come in handy sometime, although Sturdy is a lot better
    Ice Body: This ability can only be use in Hail, it could be useful, but it will not have Sturdy to deal with Special Attacker
    Strudy: Probably the best Ability for Avalugg, it makes it able to survive Special Attack and hit it back with Mirror Coat or other move like Avalanche

Mirror Coat Avalugg
    Item: Leftover/ Lum Berry
    Nature: Impish/ Adamant/ Brave/ Relaxed
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Attack/ 4 Def
    Moveset:
    Avalanche
    Earthquake
    Mirror Coat
    Recover

Avalanche is Avalugg's best STAB move while Earthquake covers a lot of type Avalanche can't. Mirror Coat can help it to kill Special Attacker and Recover can help it to use Sturdy again after getting attack by Physical move or Entry Hazards. Leftover can help it to get to full health easier after Recover while Lum Berry prevents it from Burn and Poison. I wouldn't put EVs and Natures to Speed because it is too low anyway.

Rapid Spinner Avalugg
    Item: Leftover/ Weakness Policy/ Lum Berry
    Nature: Adamant/ Impish/ Brave/ Relaxed
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Attack/ 252 HP/ 4 Def
    Moveset
    Avalanche
    Rapid Spin
    Mirror Coat/ Earthquake
    Recover

This is the Rapid Spin moveset of Avalugg, even if it isn't the best spinner, it can still work. Avalanche again is the best STAB for Avalugg while Rapid Spin gets rid of Entry Hazards. Mirror Coat can be use again, although you can also use Earthquake instead and use Weakness Policy to OHKO Special Attacker too (or even Physical Attacker). Recover will heal you and lets you use Sturdy again.

Other Option
    Rest: Can work alongside with Chesto Berry, although Recover is a more reliable option
    Rock Slide and Stone Edge: Can be use to cover other Ice Type Pokemon, but Earthquake covers Steel which is important
    Assult Vest: Can also be use if you put 252 EV on Special Defense and has a Sassy nature, although it will be unable to use Recover or Curse.
    Rocky Helmet: Can annoy Physical Attacker sometime

Counters:
    Mega Ampharos is a big counter to Avalugg, since it outspeeds it even if it is slow and can OHKO it with Focus Blast which also breaks through Sturdy thanks to Mold Breaker (it is the only Special Attacker with Mold Breaker though). Anything that has really high attack and can hit it Super Effectively can even OHKO it. Entry Hazards can cut Avalugg's HP up to 50%, forcing it to use Recover or otherwise it cannot use Sturdy. Burn and Poison cripples it as well because those 2 status Condition will make Sturdy useless.

Overall Avalugg can be good, but it would usually knock out 1 or 2 Pokemon at most because it is slow and it lacks priority move.
    Last edited by chap196; 22nd December 2013 at 3:38 AM.

Avalugg replaces Golem in my super turtle team as imo it resembles an ice turtle, or as someone did comment many moons ago, an Ice Torterra. this was enough to get Golem out of my team in favour of this ice beast. its weakness have been identified and my Avalugg is set up like this:

Nature: Impish
    Ability: Ice Body (but in truth Sturdy is probably better)
    EV's: 252Def, 252HP, 6Atk
    Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
    Moveset:
    Avalanche
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Recover

basic moves with recovery. Rapid Spin in my team isn't needed so why use it and inflict damage but can appreciate the need for rapid spin. I hope to set up Hail to take advantage of Ice Body. That with recover is effective.

Avalugg
    Assault Vest
    Serious Nature

-Recover
    -Rock Polish/gyro ball
    -Avalanche
    -Mirror Coat

Rock polish is a viable option on Avalugg, believe it or not. It will help the iceberg with it's speed problems. Or just stick with Gyro Ball. Recover For oblivious reasons, Avalanche Because Lugg is so slow, and Mirror coat for negative priority. Simple and standard setup for Avalugg that I've seen a lot of online.

I still Think Bergmite is better, and is a possible reference to Metroid Prime to boot.
    Meet Tropius, the once good Grass type nerfed in X & Y

Quote Originally Posted by sonnytapman View Post
    Rock polish is a viable option on Avalugg, believe it or not.
    Let's see...
    Jolly 252 Speed Avalugg hits 170 speed. At +2, that is 340. That's just barely enough to outspeed Mienshao and Zoroark.

It's a bit underwhelming, though. I mean, it spend a turn setting up, and that's the best it can do? It can't even run an adamant nature. It also lacks any good STAB.

I guess this is just an all around underwhelming pokemon. I may be able to pull off the offensive role better then the defensive role thanks to it's awful typing.

Aavalugg @ Life Orb
    252 Att/252 Speed
    Jolly/Either OwnTempo or IceBody
    -Rock Polish
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge
    -Crunch

Really, really bad sweeper, but it's bad as a wall to, so eh. The abilities are because Sturdy is useless with the life orb. Those two abilities can either stop Swagger Klekei from messing up or take advantage of the weather, but both of which are very situation.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Quote Originally Posted by EpicPa View Post
    Other Options:
    1.ACCURACY
    -Minimize or Double team on Drifblim can also be baton passed. Switching out your Weakness Policy/Leftovers for Bright Powder on Avalugg can make him the biggest Iceberg no one's ever hit.
    -Exact opposite of above, make Avalugg the iceberg you can't avoid hitting. Using Telekenisis on Avalugg causes him to be immune to ground type attacks, while making all attacks hit him 100%. Combining this with Rocky helmet can help whittle down your opponents hp while smacking em with Avalanche right after.

2.While Rain Dance does not help an Ice Body Avalugg, it can help lower the power of Fire-type moves that can be devastating.
    I have several problems with this. First; several communities ban evasion moves, so don't rely on baton passing evasion, and if you are doing that, there are so many better things to baton pass evasion to. Secondly; Rain Dance both helps and hurts ALL forms of Avalugg, not just Ice body. While the weakened fire is a definite boon, you are still likely to die to special Fire attacks. In addition, you are buffing water (very common) attacks and ensuring that Thunder will vaporize your ice burg.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

Titanic Killer

Avalugg is a beast. Of sorts. It has a horrible typing. But has some features which redeem its bad features.

Moveset as follows:
    ABILITY: ICE BODY
    Avalanche
    Recover
    Mirror Coat
    Hail

Mirror Coat will reflect Special killers, Avalanche reliable STAB and Recover and Hail to keep Avalugg from going down.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgrocks100 View Post
    Cryognal has acsess to Freeze Dry, Knock Off, and a Great Speed to boot. It was one of my favorite spinners in RU as well, due to the speed. It really is up to personal preference, which one you like better.

Personally, I take cryognal. Its hilarious looking at its face, especially on showdown, where i named one "U PISS MEH OFF."
    Yes, I do like Cryogonal better, so I agree with you. However, I am just trying to emphasize what good qualities Avalugg has over other Pokemon that could be considered similar to it. While I do think Avalugg has quite a few bad qualities, I think it's important to discuss and point out the good qualities of each Pokemon, even if they are few and far between, though we can discuss the areas in which a Pokemon has flaws or difficulties. So in this case, Avalugg is a better wall of sorts than Cryogonal (in terms of their respected defense), and it has a great Attack stat and a pretty good movepool to go with it.

But yes, if you ever want to use Avalugg as a Rapid Spinner, just use Cryogonal instead. I agree that Cryogonal does this job much more effectively than Avalugg can.

(And to kirant, I actually like Slivers a lot, and I have a Sliver deck. I am just trying to make a point, that's all.)
    Let's face it: ferret-esque Pokemon are the most epic Pokemon ever (to me)!!!!!! Why can't Nintendo make ones that AREN'T NU Pokemon?!? One of these guys in standard would make me quite happy.

Started by jesusfreak94:
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9186-8386 Pokemon Found: Mienfoo, Throw, Breloom

I haven't had time to crunch the numbers, but would Assault Vest be a viable Hold Item in regards to Sp.Def or would Avalugg still be 1-shot by most things? Granted it wouldn't be viable due to Recover, but I'm curious about the +50% Sp.Def aspect of the Item...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    I haven't had time to crunch the numbers, but would Assault Vest be a viable Hold Item in regards to Sp.Def or would Avalugg still be 1-shot by most things? Granted it wouldn't be viable due to Recover, but I'm curious about the +50% Sp.Def aspect of the Item...
    I'm going to slowly raise the special attack as I go along.
    Base 100 252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 146-173 (37 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    Base 115 252 SpA Life Orb Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 161-191 (40.8 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    Base 125 252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 172-203 (43.6 - 51.5%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO
    Base 135 252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 177-208 (44.9 - 52.7%) -- 22.7% chance to 2HKO

Stub Hydro Pump/Thunder both hit 165 power, Tri Attack hits 160. Overall, it's not too bad, so long as you have good spin support, it's surprisingly difficult to 2HKO.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

I have had good success using avalugg in VGC format,

Avalugg@weakness policy
    252 hp, 252 attack, 6def
    brave, 0 speedIVs
    sturdy
    Avalanch
    Stone edge/ gyroball/earthquake
    recover/mirror coat
    Protect

to get the full potential from avalugg he should be paired with a trick room user, most notably slowbro as he resists avaluggs key weaknesses. His pathetic base 28 speed ensures he is moving first in trick room. His weakness policy allows his attack to reach insane levels after getting hit by talon flames flare blitz, mega khangaskhans power up punch , bullet punch users and mach punch. To use this avalugg it must form part of your core, with the right support this iceburg can be a monster! It can't take special damage, but good teammates and smart use of protect this can be avoided.
    3DS FC: 1032 1220 0348 Fighting type safari

BlackList: The following members have ripped me off in trades and I suggest you do not trade with them.
    Member: Rainy BlueFoxie - FC 1848 2512 2833 - In Game Name: Rainy

For some reason this thread makes me wonder about a few things. If you were to ice-skate on an Avalugg, Would it count as pokémon abuse? Do ships regularly crash into floating Avalugg and mistake them as icebergs? Do other ice type Pokémon use Avalugg as a form of transport? Does global warming have any sort of negative effect on them? Nah but in all seriousness I think Avalugg is an awesome Pokémon and it's well deserving to hold the title of POTW. Seriously though can somebody answer these questions?

Avalugg is a really interesting Pokemon. It can be a solid Pokemon offensively, as it's speed lets it take use of STAB Avalanche (not like it has any options other than Ice Fang anyways, Icicle Crash please), complemented by QuakeEdge, Crunch and Gyro Ball. Sharpen and Curse add to Avalugg's strength, but Avalugg's poor Special Defense and speed make setting up nearly fruitless, unless you Baton Pass a significant amount of Special Defense on it. Other than Recover, Mirror Coat and Rapid Spin, Avalugg's movepool pretty much stops there, however, making it a somewhat limited Pokemon.

My Iceberg of Choice

Avalugg
    Choice Band
    248 HP/176 Attack/84 Special Defense
    Brave Nature and 0 Speed IVs
    Sturdy/Ice Body

Avalanche
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Return/Crunch

Despite being slow and weak on the special side, Choice Band is still a decent set to run; 517 Attack with an Ice STAB and extreme Physical Defense is nothing to be messed with. Max Attack is not run to soothe Avalugg's ability in taking some Special hits; 178 Attack EVs confirm the 2HKO on Max HP Mega Tyranitar and Aegislash, and an OHKO on Mega Lucario and Tentacruel, the latter requiring entry hazard support. Avalanche is typical Ice STAB that will hurt things that don't resist it, especially if it has taken damage priorly. In fact, it can 2HKO Skarmory after Stealth Rock if it has 120 base, assuming being hit by a Brave Bird, merely to demonstrate Avalugg's offensive capabilities. Earthquake dents resists and scores 1-2HKOes on threats mentioned formerly. Return is it's strongest option against bulky waters such as Rotom-W and Azumarrill. Stone Edge can catch a Volcarona switch in, Mega Charizard Y/X, Scolipede and also oneshots Talonflame if you want to avoid some damage from Flare Blitz, although Talonflame cannot OHKO and will die to Avalanche. Stone Edge still 2HKOes 252/0 Rotom-W after Rocks although the accuracy is unreliable. Crunch helps with Slowbro and Reuniclus. Give it Trick Room and watch it rampage. 248 EVs allow it to switch into more Stealth Rocks.
    Last edited by YagamiNoir4896; 21st December 2013 at 9:39 AM.
    Image removed. Check out the signature rules. If you need help, make sure to check out the signature check thread in newbie lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    I'm going to slowly raise the special attack as I go along.
    Base 100 252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 146-173 (37 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    Base 115 252 SpA Life Orb Omastar Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 161-191 (40.8 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    Base 125 252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 172-203 (43.6 - 51.5%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO
    Base 135 252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Avalugg: 177-208 (44.9 - 52.7%) -- 22.7% chance to 2HKO

Stub Hydro Pump/Thunder both hit 165 power, Tri Attack hits 160. Overall, it's not too bad, so long as you have good spin support, it's surprisingly difficult to 2HKO.
    *jaw drops, adjusts slipping glasses* Well...that's a good sign of Assault Vest's capabilities. Assault Vest should combine quite well with Ice Body Ability and Hail support. The drawback in regards to zero Recover usage is a huge detriment, but doable. Mirror Coat + Assault Vest could be a huge problem for several of those Pokémon, too.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnytapman View Post
    Avalugg
    Assault Vest
    Serious Nature

-Recover
    -Rock Polish/gyro ball
    -Avalanche
    -Mirror Coat

Rock polish is a viable option on Avalugg, believe it or not. It will help the iceberg with it's speed problems. Or just stick with Gyro Ball. Recover For oblivious reasons, Avalanche Because Lugg is so slow, and Mirror coat for negative priority. Simple and standard setup for Avalugg that I've seen a lot of online.

I still Think Bergmite is better, and is a possible reference to Metroid Prime to boot.
    I haven't used Assault Vest much, but I'm pretty sure that you can't use Recover or Rock Polish with it equipped, and I have no idea about mirror coat...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12