Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bamboozling Forest! (814)

Just watched the episode and i feel like the fact that pikachu showed up on the title card screen showed that this episode would focus on the pokemon and boy did it.

1st, I liked the two pancham, they were mischievous but caring. Sadly it isn't that special because we've seen a lot of cute pokemon play that card before.

2nd, I really liked pangoro though, it being show as this big tough pokemon in the beginning and then shown powerless without it's twig was nice, yeah it was basically another krokorok but this actually shows why the pangoro species has the twig.

3rd, the starters. Now that they are all in the gang, this was a good time to show their personalities. Froakie was shown to be more cautious and apparently a bit shy when it covered it's head when pikachu came?

Chespin was already built up a bit last episode so it continued with his love of food. But also it showed how he's not a coward when pangoro charged at him.

And now fennekin, fennekin got the most I think because it hasn't really had an episode to itself. It was shown to have a very cautious outlook on the way it looks when it hid it's tail when pikachu and co. came over. I liked the interaction between froakie and fennekin leading to froakie blushing. And also the twig thing was a nice reference to it's pokemon entry, I like that they are putting the things like that into their personalities.

And last, team rockets pokemon. This episode showed one thing to me...team rocket has some pretty weird pokemon, not weird in how they look. But how they act. Starting off with inkay, first off with the vacant expression on it's face while james is holding him, i was laughing at that. And then the random ink squirt at pangoro was where I lost it. I like that they gave it a weird personality like that, that's why people like wobbuffet so much, it was so random and nobody knew what it was gonna do next.

And now pumpkaboo, I've only seen it in one episode, and i already like it. The way it keeps on randomly flashing it's lights everywhere gives me another weird vibe from it and it made me laugh a bit.

Hopefully they keep up with the character development in the pokemon too like this, and hopefully it's in new ways because the whole split up thing is kinda getting overdone.
    Friends are family you choose

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Sun View Post
    I didn't mind. James catching Inkay without battling was expected (at least from me) and Jessie catching Pumpkaboo so quickly was a good thing in my eyes since it didn't take away from the main plot (I was more interested in the Pancham and other pokemon).
    I didn't mind it either, but I was just wondering why the writers are giving us these kinds of captures for TR. Likely for timing purposes, but there's also the fact of dedicating singular episodes to these captures. Again, I don't mind it, but it's really peculiar to me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Oblivion's Wrath View Post
    What? I thought you hated the last episode since it showed Chespin going to Clemont instead of Ash?
    Chespin himself carried the episode. And while i dont like the fact that he didnt go to ash, there is no reason to hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Sun View Post
    I didn't mind. James catching Inkay without battling was expected (at least from me) and Jessie catching Pumpkaboo so quickly was a good thing in my eyes since it didn't take away from the main plot (I was more interested in the Pancham and other pokemon).
    I agree. I wanted Jessie to get Pumpkaboo quickly anyway since I wanted to see the Pancham and Pangoro some more, so I didn't have a problem with Jessie's capture. It was quick and to the point and I was impressed by Pumpkaboo's Leech Seed; I didn't expect for it to be used to trap Pokemon like that.

I didn't mind it either, but I was just wondering why the writers are giving us these kinds of captures for TR. Likely for timing purposes, but there's also the fact of dedicating singular episodes to these captures. Again, I don't mind it, but it's really peculiar to me as well.
    all or most of team rockets captures have been through abnormal ways, jessie caught seviper by battling it herself after it bit her hair, she got wobbufet in a trade by accident, she caught yanma after another trainer weakened it, and wurmple while it was on a tree branch randomly.

james develops more of a connection with his pokemon, yamask and inkay were both caught through food, and pokemon he had during his childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonicbro View Post
    all or most of team rockets captures have been through abnormal ways, jessie caught seviper by battling it herself after it bit her hair, she got wobbufet in a trade by accident, she caught yanma after another trainer weakened it, and wurmple while it was on a tree branch randomly.

james develops more of a connection with his pokemon, yamask and inkay were both caught through food, and pokemon he had during his childhood.
    Oh, okay. But I was expecting just a tad bit of difficulty in the capture.

Now that I look at it, I'll admit that the scenes of TR's Kalos captures felt a bit hollow to me.

Just watched the raw, pretty ecstatic about this episode, potential to actually rave about it.

Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    Ash is likely getting skiddo.
    Yeah, or Phantump, or no Grass-type at all.

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    Even without the capture this still wouldn't be a filler.
    Without Pumpkaboo and Chespin showing off Vine Whip, it would've, but it would have been a good filler that showed of individual character traits of probably every pokemon, with the exception of Bunnelby.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeMaster366 View Post
    Not while Alexa has her hands on Gogoat. At this point, I'm more partial to Ash getting a Phantump so he can fill his "Ghost" slot that Haunter has left vacant since the middle of the first season.
    I've probably been partial for Phantump for the Alexa reason. I can't seem to get my head around why people want Ash to get both Gogoat and an eventual Noivern.. I know the choices are limited, but Ash should stay clear off copying Alexa's team, it would be incredibly boring and uninspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    I first read playerking's summary and was surprised at how pointless this episode seemed. Pancham and Pangoro could have been replaced by almost any other Pokemon and the same things would have happened. They could have had better debuts. Jessie capturing Pumpkaboo also seemed incredibly ham-fisted, as if the writers suddenly thought she should own a Kalos Pokemon right about now.

But then I watched the episode and enjoyed it. It was consistently funny and probably the best comedic episode of 2013. I also liked the Pikachu/Meowth/Starters interactions way more than I thought I would.
    I completely agree. I'm just going to sum up a few things that I liked a lot:
    - Having the entire group out for lunch. Effing BW probably hated these scenes.
    - Fletchling trying to chase TR, but failing: So much for generic bird popping the balloon. This failure made me interested in how they would get to the balloon eventually.
    - TR bickering on who gets to claim credit: THEY HAVE PERSONATIES AND EGO'S!!!
    - The starters having blimps of personality shown: Froakie is wary, puts on its frubble-mask and doesn't want to help Meowth - and blushed, d'aww, Chespin is clueless and the glutton thing is a bit touched upon. Fennekin is vain and likely female. Great simple exposition.
    - Dedenne is used to find the group?! And they resort to flashbacking to an earlier episode?? MY GOD!! THE CONTINUITY PEOPLE, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    - Pumpkaboo is a great addition to Team Rocket. I like the weird flashlight thing it does.. And I liked the mirrored reactions James and Meowth had to the capture, as to when James captured Inkay.
    - The battle: Ash used Quick Attack and Fling, super effective! Honestly, inventive use of Leech Seed, good note that the absorption didn't work on Chespin, and great that it took effort to launch an attack while constricted. Also, great that Ash took charge at that point and just dove into the situation head first and that most of the pokemon backed him up.

Negatives:
    - TR easily captured a Pangoro and a Pancham, and thus they wait for the twerps to return? You've captured two wild pokemon, throw a damn pokeball or electric netcage and send them to the boss! Why waste the time and opportunity? The odds are that you'll get another chance for the starters, so no point in waiting on them...
    - Pangoro and Pancham are not really my favorite designs, but this is really a small point and I ignored it.
    - The translation machine was just weird and I think unnecessary in this episode, also that scene moved along too slow.. and the machine opens up a truckload of plotholes..

I wish we could say the same thing for TR. Speaking of which, I find it strange that Jessie and James caught both of their Kalos Pokemon without a simple battle. What's up with that?
    Team Rocket having less personality? Personally, I thought them bickering over who was going to get the credit for the capture of the starters was a good show of how they do have personalities and are not mindless drones.

Team Rocket barely catch any pokemon with a battle..
    - Seviper: Caught after Jessie manhandles the poor thing..
    - Wurmple: Jessie just throws the ball after noticing the Wurmple..
    - Cacnea: After providing food
    - Woobat: Offscreen
    - Yamask: After providing food
    - Frillish: Offscreen
    - Amoongus: Offscreen
    - Inkay: After providing food and just throwing a ball
    - Pumpkaboo: Random
    - James' cute captures: Were at parents/relative/summer houses..

I honestly think they have never caught a pokemon after fighting them the proper way.

Edit: Ninja'd.. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    Agreed, and they've been really building on these traits. Pikachu's definitely gotten a care-taker role and has gotten a keen eye, while Froakie seems wary of a lot of people and Pokemon due to his background. Chespin stupidly wanting to help out was pretty cute, and even Fennekin getting riled up over her tail was a blip of personality.
    I agree with this. They also touched upon Chespin's eating habits again, or in any case, they focused his foodtray more than the others.. Which is good.. This is more than they focused on a certain Gluttonous Swinub.. Especially with a certain future episode being foreshadowed in the 2014 previews.. :P
    Last edited by Locormus; 20th December 2013 at 2:45 AM.
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    Team Rocket having less personality? Personally, I thought them bickering over who was going to get the credit for the capture of the starters was a good show of how they do have personalities and are not mindless drones.

Team Rocket barely catch any pokemon with a battle..
    - Seviper: Caught after Jessie manhandles the poor thing..
    - Wurmple: Jessie just throws the ball after noticing the Wurmple..
    - Cacnea: After providing food
    - Woobat: Offscreen
    - Yamask: After providing food
    - Frillish: Offscreen
    - Amoongus: Offscreen
    - Inkay: After providing food and just throwing a ball
    - Pumpkaboo: Random
    - James' cute captures: Were at parents/relative/summer houses..
    I didn't say TR didn't have less personality (unless I missed something on my own posts). I was just a bit bothered by how easy James was able to capture Inkay, and Jessie with Pumpkaboo. I know there are many other examples of them capturing their Pokemon easily, but I just feel bothered by these ones for some reason. Just ignore me if I continue to bring this up.

I asked this before, but does anyone know why Jessie and James were arguing after they caught Pikachu and the Kalos Starters? I didn't watch any subs of the episode because of the ongoing translation errors, and I'm not really sure what happened during that scene that caused them to battle each other with Inkay and Wobbuffet.

Oh, okay. But I was expecting just a tad bit of difficulty in the capture.

Now that I look at it, I'll admit that the scenes of TR's Kalos captures felt a bit hollow to me.
    really? i mean it is good to see some reasoning or buildup behind the captures, but i think showing it in a comedic and simple way is better than a few they did in the past. if you noticed, yamask was the only one i mentioned from bw (not hating on bw, just part of the conversation), this is because all the other captures in bw were offscreen. I'm glad they didn't at least do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    I asked this before, but does anyone know why Jessie and James were arguing after they caught Pikachu and the Kalos Starters? I didn't watch any subs of the episode because of the ongoing translation errors, and I'm not really sure what happened during that scene that caused them to battle each other with Inkay and Wobbuffet.
    They were arguing about who should receive the credit for capturing Pikachu and the Kalos starters for Giovanni. Guess they've actually got egos.

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    - TR easily captured a Pangoro and a Pancham, and thus they wait for the twerps to return? You've captured two wild pokemon, throw a damn pokeball or electric netcage and send them to the boss! Why waste the time and opportunity? The odds are that you'll get another chance for the starters, so no point in waiting on them...
    I'm not sure if that was it, I know they were there when the group left, but I'm pretty sure they didn't just go into it, guns blazing, captured them and waiting for the twerps. Unless my lack of Japanese understanding says I'm wrong, it seemed more likely that they were just getting ready to get going before the twerps came into the scene.

I mean after all, how else would you be able to move a giant bear creature that's nearly 50% bigger than you, it's not like they had their balloon, they probably were deciding how to move it.

Pancham is easy enough to move, true, but Pangoro?
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Just watched this episode, and oh my gosh, that scene with Fennekin and Froakie was so adorable. Seeing the Pokemon interact with each other is always precious. I wish we could've gotten to see more of that. Other than that, I thought the episode was okay. Hooray, Jessie finally has a Kalos Pokemon.
    3DS FC: 0877-1337-0183
    Ice Friend Safari: Snorunt, Beartic, Dewgong

Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Chespin himself carried the episode. And while i dont like the fact that he didnt go to ash, there is no reason to hate him.
    Whatever helps you sleep at night.. everyone contributed to this episode.

They were arguing about who should receive the credit for capturing Pikachu and the Kalos starters for Giovanni. Guess they've actually got egos.
    That's weird because they've gotten credit for doing stuff together in the past (breaking up Team Galactic and getting rid of Hunter J if I remember correctly, which led to them being promoted). Seeing them fighting among themselves for credit was out of character of them in my opinion, but it served as a useful plot device I guess. I really thought this episode was good regardless, and I'm usually a hard person to please.

Boring mess, not to mention we literally just did an episode like this back in Da! with the honey episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus
    Oh, they're mindless drones alright. They're just stuck on "we must be as over the top and irrelevant as possible at all times" now.

Lorde is right, them fighting over who gets the credit is completely out of character now.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

They did that at like…they very first episode of DP as well….unless you consider that OOC to..

Which I don't get because there are tons of moments across the series why they're constantly trying to one-up and undermine eachother, so this isn't exactly new.

Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post
    They did that at like…they very first episode of DP as well….unless you consider that OOC to..

Which I don't get because there are tons of moments across the series why they're constantly trying to one-up and undermine eachother, so this isn't exactly new.
    I'm pretty sure it'd be considered OOC too.

I, for one, agree with the point that TR bickering seems a bit OOC, considering that they've spent most of BW getting equal credit from Giovanni without any arguments between them.

I'm pretty sure it'd be considered OOC too.

I, for one, agree with the point that TR bickering seems a bit OOC, considering that they've spent most of BW getting equal credit from Giovanni without any arguments between them.
    I just don't get how something that's ALWAYS BEEN THERE is OOC when that's literally what they're characters do that kind of thing throughout the entire show's run. When Meowth got sick in OS James and Jessie where more then happy to leave his butt behind in order to get Pikachu glory, so I can't see this as OOC at all.

I just don't get how something that's ALWAYS BEEN THERE is OOC when that's literally what they're characters do that kind of thing throughout the entire show's run. When Meowth got sick in OS James and Jessie where more then happy to leave his butt behind in order to get Pikachu glory, so I can't see this as OOC at all.
    Are you one of those Best Wishes wasn't canon!!!!! people?

It's called character development. They grew out of that years ago... character development which has been erased.

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Well, when I look at it, it's actually more of a fluctuation in personality. Sometimes they're willing to leave each other to fry, other times they genuinely care for each other. Heck, they dance across the line separating good and evil and then back again.

Admittedly, it's quite confusing to tell whether their current actions are considered OOC or not. But, considering their semi-serious personality, I'd say, for now, arguing between them seems a bit OOC in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Are you one of those Best Wishes wasn't canon!!!!! people?

It's called character development. They grew out of that years ago... character development which has been erased.

Uhh no, I fully acknowledge that BW TR existed and was in fact better than they're previous iterations…

But they didn't grow into it, there was no foreshadowing for it, and they might as well be different characters. If they actually built up to the sudden change in characterization then id make sense, but as it stands it was a out-of-nowhere radical character shift in tone and personality, no development was utilized for it. Hell id argue that BW TR was (positively) OOC before they were put back into their normal selves for XY again.

Uhh no, I fully acknowledge that BW TR existed and was in fact better than they're previous iterations…

But they didn't grow into it, there was no foreshadowing for it, and they might as well be different characters. If they actually built up to the sudden change in characterization then id make sense, but as it stands it was a out-of-nowhere radical character shift in tone and personality, no development was utilized for it. Hell id argue that BW TR was (positively) OOC before they were put back into their normal selves for XY again.
    Now this, I agree. Even though it's obvious time had passed between DP and BW, it still felt a little weird seeing TR suddenly being serious. The episodes could've done more to put a reference as to why they were behaving that way.

Oh sure, right.

And the sudden change in Da!-into-XY is perfectly reasonable.

Go watch some Kanto episodes if you want to see "normal." I'm about to lose my eyes from rolling them so many times at this shamelessly false argument about the Three Stooges in XY being "normal."

(Banner by Matori)

The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Oh sure, right.
    Err, sorry I agree with you????

And the sudden change in Da!-into-XY is perfectly reasonable.
    Where those two iterations are basically the same? Yeah sure.

Go watch some Kanto episodes if you want to see "normal." I'm about to lose my eyes from rolling them so many times at this shamelessly false argument about the Three Stooges in XY being "normal."
    Excuse me for not notching the difference between "goofy" and " a bit less goofy".

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast