View Poll Results: What do you think that Serena/Serena will do in the anime?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Battle Chateau

44 30.14%
  • Battle Maison

7 4.79%
  • Pokemon Contests

10 6.85%
  • Sky Battles

13 8.90%
  • I don't know

28 19.18%
  • Other options (Explain)

14 9.59%
  • A passive goal.

30 20.55%
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Serena's goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Not really. I liked BW but I admit that XY seems to be much better, I really like it as well.

So please don't go on accusing BW fans of hating XY when there is a plenty of BW fans who absolutely love XY.
    Yep, I'm one of those fans, I like BW and I adore XY a lot so far and am enjoying the first episodes more in-general(Heck of any series honestly). So why Cho-Hakkai makes such skewered generalizations about the BW fans in this thread, I dunno. Especially when I like Clemont and Bonnie a lot, the great battles in XY, the interactions, nice animation at times and Serena at times and gave Iris and Cilan flak a good number of times in BW over their shortcomings, like Axew's growth or Cilan's static demeanor, I have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred the Second View Post
    I would have believed "Serena exists to be cute" had the shipping angle been really forced onto us in each and every episode, and many fanservice angles been explored. I don't even find her half as fan-servicey as Dawn was (she doesn't really catch my attention) at the moment. She's doing nothing at the moment, which is why I believe she would eventually find her goal.
    Why doesn't Serena catch your attention if you're a Dawn fan? Design wise she has the same features people liked Dawn for, and her hair is a bit more exotic than Dawn's was in the back. And her interactions with Ash are what Pearlshippers hoped the Dawn/Ash friendship would turn into to.

The only difference is the lack of a goal, and Serena not being interested in battling.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Why doesn't Serena catch your attention if you're a Dawn fan?
    Where there's more to liking a character than physical appeal you know. Goals, character development, interactions, personality and a myriad of other things are pivotal points in that judgement as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Yep, I'm one of those fans, I like BW and I adore XY a lot so far and am enjoying the first episodes more in-general(Heck of any series honestly). So why Cho-Hakkai makes such skewered generalizations about the BW fans in this thread, I dunno. Especially when I like Clemont and Bonnie a lot, the great battles in XY, the interactions, nice animation at times and Serena at times and gave Iris and Cilan flak a good number of times in BW over their shortcomings, like Axew's growth or Cilan's static demeanor, I have no clue.
    Did you miss what I post before? I do say that I dont think all fans are like that :x, I like BW too and I was refering to a vocal minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Where there's more to liking a character than physical appeal you know. Goals, character development, interactions, personality and a myriad of other things are pivotal points in that judgement as well.
    True, but Dracoflare was specifically talking about fanservice and design in that post. If we're going appearance wise Serena and Dawn look the most alike of any of the 5 female leads, but Serena's hair being more wavy and more exotic looks a bit more interesting than Dawn's hair. I also think the blonde hair makes Serena stand out a bit more, but that's just me.

I would accept serena being a battler if she had her game design. But since she's not, I don't feel like she needs to do anything major. Plus the less focus she gets, the more potential focus there is for chespin to shine assuming froakie doesn't hog all of it like oshawott did in BW.

True, but Dracoflare was specifically talking about fanservice and design in that post. If we're going appearance wise Serena and Dawn look the most alike of any of the 5 female leads, but Serena's hair being more wavy and more exotic looks a bit more interesting than Dawn's hair. I also think the blonde hair makes Serena stand out a bit more, but that's just me.

I don't get why Donphans Dawn fans would like Serena simply because they look alike. That doesn't make any sense. And I wouldn't describe Serena's hair as "exotic" whatsoever.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

No, Doryuzu's post holds some water in reference to fanservice too. The things that make me like her isn't just her appearance. There are other factors like the length of her skirt, her voice acting, her cheerful personality in general. I like Dawn or should I better say Hikari because of Megumi Toyoguchi. Trust me when I say her voice acting is fanservice to me at times (Those Daijobus.......).

But even if we go that route and talk about her appearance, I believe I like Dawn's hair more.
    Last edited by Alfred the Second; 3rd January 2014 at 7:05 PM. Reason: Let's make it PG

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred the Second View Post
    No, Doryuzu's post holds some water in reference to fanservice too. The things that make me like her isn't just her appearance. There are other factors like the length of her skirt, her voice acting, her cheerful personality in general. I like Dawn or should I better say Hikari because of Megumi Toyoguchi. Trust me when I say her voice acting is fanservice to me at times (Those Daijobus.......).
    Well I understand liking the Japanese VA better (although to me, all the Japanese voices for the girls sound almost identical, but I'm not Japanese so I can't tell the difference), but Serena's skirt is only a little longer than Dawn's and her hair style is similar.

As for Serena's hair, its more wavy with a ponytail in the back and shen she takes off her hat its combed around her face a bit better, while Dawn just has the usual long-haircut. Also I guess blonde hair resonates with the audience more because its a realistic hair color unlike anime-blue hair.

If it weren't due to Serena being so passive I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two of them. Even their interactions with Ash are what people previously wanted Dawn to do back when DP was originally airing before we knew what a girl with a blatant crush on Ash would be like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    When did this happen? Because I don't recall getting an invitation to May's and Drew's wedding.

But seriously, I agree that all the "let's be patient" excuses are becoming more and more redundant as the weeks go by. I heard the same excuses in BW when it came to certain things, and in the end I was still disappointed because those things never happened despite all the time I spent "being patient." If Serena didn't get a goal during her introduction (not counting her desire to find Ash), then it seems incredibly unlikely to me that she'll have one at all. There's just no point in waiting years for it to happen in my humble opinion.
    There's only one episode a week.... so if 1 month were to pass by... which would be 4 episodes = not a lot at all.

Remember, we have new writers this time... just because BW didn't satisfy you doesn't mean this series won't.

I also think we should try to think of the reasons why Serena's goal hasn't been chosen yet. 1. to create suspense and lots of interest (already in some of the previous episodes Serena has been thinking about what she wants to do so all those thoughts help bring suspense to the viewers). and 2. Due to the fact she doesn't know what she wants to do yet, as she continues to think and possibly try out new things, it can help lead to some character development.

I think one of the worst decition for Serena Caracter was is Crush for Ash Right now that is all is caracter.

Shipping fanservice is one of the worst decition of the this new Writers.

Sorry for my really bad english

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-Hakkai View Post
    Well, a lot of the hate come fom some BW fans. They are really burned that the season they liked was hated for almost everybody, that in a fashion of "revenge" they criticize every single aspect of the season that have more acceptance now.

Aa for Serena goal, I really want to see what the writers are gonna do with it. But at the moment ,its seen that they don't have a clear idea of what they want to do.
    I don't know if you realize this, but one can dislike aspects of a series for well-founded and reasoned claims after giving it a chance: people did so with BW, and now they're doing it with XY. Unlike many, I didn't like DP, and I have some good reasons for it, whereas pretty much everyone who is left on the forums considers it the best series of the anime (I highly disagree with that myself). It has nothing to do with 'revenge', so much as aspects said individuals liked from BW vanishing. I am no fan of the XY Series right now based off of the last 11 episodes (I'll give it until about XY035 before I decide if I want to continue with it), but that's because I dislike some of the writing decisions that have been made here, such as with Team Rocket and Serena. I am not too impressed by Bonnie, either, although I'll admit she's okay. Clemont and Ash are the only ones I find are handled well for the most part this arc, but I'm afraid the cons are outweighing the pros about this series for me right now.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 4th January 2014 at 10:07 PM.
    My Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW001-BW115)/Average > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW116-BW142)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY001-Present)/Terrible > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP001-DP191)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. TCG: Wizards of the Coast > PUSA > TPCi
    7. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC

Quote Originally Posted by skulkidcachi90 View Post
    I think one of the worst decition for Serena Caracter was is Crush for Ash Right now that is all is caracter.

Shipping fanservice is one of the worst decition of the this new Writers.

Sorry for my really bad english
    I really don't get why so many people are against Serena's crush on Ash. This is the first time in a while that we've had a female with confirmed feelings for Ash and I think it's refreshing that the writers are trying something different. As long as things don't get out of hand, I think Serena's crush will make her a very interesting character. Heck, she's already interesting in my opinion; I don't understand why people insult her and call her bland and other names just because she's not out collecting ribbons or constantly training her Pokemon. It's very unfair imo.

If anyone asked me, we should wait and see what happens before we hit episode 50th at the latest before coming to a conclusion about Serena's character as a whole.

In his head, that bulge is five times bigger. ~Made by yours truly~
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris / 3DS FC: Ask / Normal Safari: Audino, Smeargle, Lillipup
    Youtube Channel - Mario Kart 8

I really don't get why so many people are against Serena's crush on Ash. This is the first time in a while that we've had a female with confirmed feelings for Ash and I think it's refreshing that the writers are trying something different. As long as things don't get out of hand, I think Serena's crush will make her a very interesting character. Heck, she's already interesting in my opinion; I don't understand why people insult her and call her bland and other names just because she's not out collecting ribbons or constantly training her Pokemon. It's very unfair imo.
    But Pokemon is not a shoujo.The romance aspect is always gonna be just a little part of the show.So if a characters is gonna be heavily related to the romance aspect and nothing more,then we left with very little of said character.That is indeed a big problem.

But Pokemon is not a shoujo.The romance aspect is always gonna be just a little part of the show.So if a characters is gonna be heavily related to the romance aspect and nothing more,then we left with very little of said character.That is indeed a big problem.
    I don't expect Serena's crush on Ash to blossom into something bigger; I just think it's a good thing because Serena's devotion to Ash could come in handy. I think she did a good job cheering for Ash at the Santalune Gym and I hope she does more of that since it helped Ash's confidence. Like I said before, I don't understand why it's wrong for Serena to support Ash. At least it gives her a purpose unlike certain other characters who don't have one themselves.

I don't expect Serena's crush on Ash to blossom into something bigger; I just think it's a good thing because Serena's devotion to Ash could come in handy. I think she did a good job cheering for Ash at the Santalune Gym and I hope she does more of that since it helped Ash's confidence. Like I said before, I don't understand why it's wrong for Serena to support Ash. At least it gives her a purpose unlike certain other characters who don't have one themselves.
    Well that's his worry. That if Serena is entirely defined by her role as Ash's "crutch" then it leaves her with nothing else to talk about.

I hardly think that's a legitimate worry because for the umpteenth time I have mentioned it in this thread, we haven't seen Serena lusting over senpai in a month's worth of episodes.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Well, a lot of the hate come fom some BW fans. They are really burned that the season they liked was hated for almost everybody, that in a fashion of "revenge" they criticize every single aspect of the season that have more acceptance now.
    Oh no, some of us don't think XY is as good as the massive overrating hype makes it sound! There must be some sort of sinister revenge conspiracy!

Should I accuse you Serena fans of liking her out of "revenge" because you didn't like Iris? XY fans of liking it purely out of revenge for BW being bad? No? Thought so.
    Last edited by The Great Butler; 3rd January 2014 at 11:13 PM.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    Oh no, some of us don't think XY is as good as the massive overrating hype makes it sound! There must be some sort of sinister revenge conspiracy!

Should I accuse you Serena fans of liking her out of "revenge" because you didn't like Iris? XY fans of liking it purely out of revenge for BW being bad? No? Thought so.
    Please quote where I said I dont like Iris(she is me second favorite female companion)
    But if the writers want to develop Serena(I trust they want), her feeling for Ash do have change in some aspect.Since her crush is presented as a important part of her character.Maybe her feeling are gonna get stronger, or maybe her crush is just gonna fade away.There is no way that they just going to live her feelings unresolved by the end of the saga.

This thread makes you lose brain cells. Everyone who browses this thread is now dumber for having read through it.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    If anyone asked me, we should wait and see what happens before we hit episode 50th at the latest before coming to a conclusion about Serena's character as a whole.
    One of the most intelligent statements posted here. Someone sticky this please.
    Last edited by Maldread; 3rd January 2014 at 11:30 PM.

Steering the conversation back into a PRODUCTIVE DIRECTION...

I really don't see how the Battle Chateau and Maison can be considered "goals." They're just two locations out of all of Kalos, and if Serena were to focus on them, then that would mean she leaves the group before Ash even gets to the League. I doubt they're gonna bring back Contests, barring a Hoenn Confirmed scenario. So really, the only logical choice would be becoming a Sky Trainer, though even then, that's kind of iffy, considering how few Flying-types have been introduced in this Generation. By that statement, I mean they'd probably prefer to showcase new Pokemon rather than old. So really, all I can do is adopt a wait-and-see attitude on the matter.
    Pokemon Y Friend Code: 3282-3535-2249

Friend Safari: Pansage, Petilil, Gogoat

As of now, my focus is on Safaris with starters (barring Wartortle and Quilladin), but give me your Safari anyway. Chances are I'll find something interesting.

This thread has gotten even more out of control! Now we're bringing BW into the mix! Poor Serena. Poor, poor Serena. I'm done trying to guess Serena's goal and I'm done worrying about it. All I want is for Serena to interact more with Clemont, catch her Pancham, evolve Fennekin, battle every once in awhile and regain some of her rebellious attitude. Do those five things and I'll be fine with Serena. I'm not wasting anymore time freaking out over a goal.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Please quote where I said I dont like Iris(she is me second favorite female companion)
    So you ignore the larger point.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    This thread makes you lose brain cells. Everyone who browses this thread is now dumber for having read through it.
    You know, it speaks volumes about your fanbase that this is what you resort to when she gets criticized.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    One of the most intelligent statements posted here. Someone sticky this please.
    Yep, there goes the goalposts getting moved again. Now we've gone from episode 30 to episode 50. Of course that's "one of the most intelligent statements posted here."

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

But if the writers want to develop Serena(I trust they want), her feeling for Ash do have change in some aspect.Since her crush is presented as a important part of her character.Maybe her feeling are gonna get stronger, or maybe her crush is just gonna fade away.There is no way that they just going to live her feelings unresolved by the end of the saga.
    This is the Pokemon anime we're talking about; most of Ash's companion's goals are left unresolved anyway. So I could see Serena's crush on Ash (which I'll call her goal from now on just to make things easier) being unresolved even when XY ends. That way shippers can keep shipping Ash and Serena if they want, and the people who aren't keen about the shippy aspect can still be happy that it never escalated into shoujo territory.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    So you ignore the larger point.

I was talking about a couple of specific fans as I stated early. You know, the type who tag NSFW in material to make the fans uncomfortable.Dont you agree that the worst and most inmature kind of "fans" do that?

This is the Pokemon anime we're talking about; most of Ash's companion's goals are left unresolved anyway. So I could see Serena's crush on Ash (which I'll call her goal from now on just to make things easier) being unresolved even when XY ends. That way shippers can keep shipping Ash and Serena if they want, and the people who aren't keen about the shippy aspect can still be happy that it never escalated into shoujo territory.
    This is why is more probable that she just get over Ash.
    Last edited by Cho-Hakkai; 3rd January 2014 at 11:44 PM.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast