Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #011

Default Community POTW #011

Time for the next one, and this week we have a Kalos Pokémon!

Talonflame has fast become one of the top Kalos Pokémon and is used in many teams, partially thanks to its awesome signature ability, Gale Wings.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/663.shtml

Go nuts

Talonflame. What a great pokemon! I love it like most trainers. One of the best pokemon out there.

This is how i trained mine:

Phoenix

-Acrobatics
    -Flame Charge
    -Roost
    -U-turn
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 HP
    Item: none
    Abillity: Flame Body
    Nature: Jolly

I personally like Acrobatics more than Brave Bird because it doesn't have a recoil. I mostly use it as a scout pokemon but if opponent sents out a fighting,steel or flying pokemon Talonflame is tha bomb, it mostly KO in one attack them. Downside of this pokemon is stealth rock because it cuts it's health by 50%.

if i would train another i would do like this:

The Red Baron

-Brave Bird
    -Flame Charge/Flare Blitz
    -U-turn
    -Roost

Item: Choice scarf
    Nautre: Jolly or Adamant (i think with this set is Adamant better as we already have a Turbo charged speed)
    Abillity: Gale Wings

This is more or less a standard OU Talonfalme. Don't know if Roost is needed since if you use it you'll need to switch out because of the Scarf. But as always Stealth rock is the weak point of Talonflame. And to go with this set's name it would be nice to have a shiny Talonflame :P

Countering Talonfalme

The best option for countering Talonflame is Speed trained Aerodactyl. His base speed is better than Talonflame and it has rock type attacks.
    Last edited by venom1950; 5th January 2014 at 1:33 PM.

FC: 2294-4517-3671 (IGN: Alen)
    21.4.2014. National Pokedex completed

Psychic friend safari:

Pokegym League gym badges earned:
    Astral-Shadow and The-Under for the frontier userbar
    and Azulart for the gym badge

Quote Originally Posted by venom1950 View Post
    Talonflame. What a great pokemon! I love it like most trainers. One of the best pokemon out there.

This is how i trained mine:

Phoenix

-Acrobatics
    -Flame Charge
    -Roost
    -U-turn
    Item: none
    Abillity: Flame Body
    Nature: Jolly

I personally like Acrobatics more than Brave Bird because it doesn't have a recoil. I mostly use it as a scout pokemon but if opponent sents out a fighting,steel or flying pokemon Talonflame is tha bomb, it mostly KO in one attack them. Downside of this pokemon is stealth rock because it cuts it's health by 50%.

if i would train another i would do like this:

The Red Baron

-Brave Bird
    -Flame Charge/Flare Blitz
    -U-turn
    -Roost

Item: Choice scarf
    Nautre: Jolly or Adamant (i think with this set is Adamant better as we already have a Turbo charged speed)
    Abillity: Gale Wings

This is more or less a standard OU Talonfalme. Don't know if Roost is needed since if you use it you'll need to switch out because of the Scarf. But as always Stealth rock is the weak point of Talonflame. And to go with this set's name it would be nice to have a shiny Talonflame :P

Countering Talonfalme

The best option for countering Talonflame is Speed trained Aerodactyl. His base speed is better than Talonflame and it has rock type attacks.
    Both of these have problems. Flame Charge is pointless on something as naturally fast (and possessing Gale Wings) as Talonflame, and without Flare Blitz it'll miss out on crucial KOs. Same deal with Choice Scarf; why boost the speed of something that's almost guaranteed out outspeed most everything already? Neither of these are OU standard.

Talonflame @ Life Orb/Leftovers
    Adamant Nature
    Gale Wings
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    -Swords Dance
    -Brave Bird
    -Flare Blitz
    -Roost

Talonflame @ Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    Gale Wings
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    -Brave Bird
    -Flare Blitz
    -U-Turn
    -Return

These are the standard OU Talonflame sets. It either needs to boost or pick up a Choice Band (read: Band, not Scarf) due to its underwhelming attack stat. Brave Bird and Flare Blitz are standard on every set, especially the former considering it has quickly become the most powerful priority attack, eclipsing things like Mega Lucario and Scizor's Bullet Punches. It should be mention that you can opt for less speed EVs, given that with an Adamant Nature, 164 Spe is all you need to outspeed base 100's. Given most of the things that are faster than said Talonflame are hit harder by Brave Bird (Starmie, Greninja, Alakazam, etc.), which will get priority, you can opt for less speed, albeit you may run into some situational difficulties.

Niche moves include Tailwind (which can be good in doubles or triples) to support the team with more speed, Steel Wing to hit certain threats a little harder (i.e., Tyranitar), and Will-o-Wisp to surprise physical sweepers, but in general these moves tend to only be used for surprise value. Acrobatics will become a worthwhile attack once Flying Gem becomes legal again.

Rapin Spin or Defog support is absolutely necessary for Talonflame, given its Fire/Flying typing makes Stealth Rock a royal pain. This is especially true considering Talonflame's best attacks come with recoil, so it needs those Rocks off the field to survive long enough to do its job. It also appreciates prior damage, given that once walls have been worn down there's very little to stop it from spamming Brave Bird to sweep.

Counters include Rotom-W, who resists both of Talonflame's STAB, and is usually bulky enough to take a few hits, but boosted Returns can hit it hard. Tyranitar is also worth a mention due to its supreme bulk and resistances to STAB, but Steel Wing or U-Turn can still hurt it. And it goes without saying that given its Fire/Flying typing, Stealth Rock goes a long way towards countering it, given the rocks will make it lose half its HP.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

^ For you Phoenix Set, I'll recommend giving it the Flying Gem. Even with its decrease in boost 55 base power * 1.5 STAB * 1.3 by gem consumption * 2 for no item is still something, right?

Or does the double in damage still works after flying gem is consumed?

Well, Talonflame is a brilliant pokemon in VGC. With gale wings and brave bird, it can be relentless. Flare blitz decimated the field, and it gets u-turn to pivot on. it also gets tailwind and quick guard to support allies, especially for out speeding mega kangaskhan (He s still in VGC) and stopping his fake outs.

Crimson Flash

Talonflame @ Life Orb
    Ability: Gale Wings
    EVs: 176 Spd / 252 Atk / 80 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz
    - Tailwind
    - Quick Guard/Protect

The standard life orb set is just too hard to give up on. The speed lets it just outspeed mega kangaskhan and prevent it fake outing with quick guard. then max destructive power. Brave bird hits relatively hard, and flare blitz causes a lot of damage. Priority tailwind can cause some ruckus, since you can get pokemon to outspeed and destroy the foe. QG is great for stopping fake out, swagger, charm, etc. where as protect gives you a chance to get an ally to stop rock type moves.

Funky Chicken

Talonflame @ Charti Berry
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz
    - Natural Gift
    - Quick Guard/Tailwind/Protect

Now this has the same goodness as the previous set, but has one main change. Charti berry gives it some chance VS rock moves, and, natural gift gives you a one time, anti MegaZard-Y/Talonflame move. The 80 BP rock move can OHKO charizard and talonflame.

The Fiery End

Talonflame @ Choice Band
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz
    - U-turn
    - Tailwind/Steel Wing/Return

Now, the destruction set. Brave bird and flare blitz hit crazily hard, whist u-turn can get you out of a sticky situation. Last moves: tailwind supports, then get out quick, steel wing hits fairies and ttar hard, whilst return is just neutral coverage.

Good partners:

Wide guard users and fighting users can help stop it getting KOed by rock types and users, like machamp. Also, ice moves stop garchomp, who can cause damage. Fake out lets it set up tailwind, whist a lightning rod user can redirect strong electric type moves.

Counter and checks:

Intimidate strips it of its destructiveness, whist garchomp, mamoswine and tyranitar cause a lot of pain with rock moves. Azumarill can aqua jet it to oblivion, but has to watch out for Quick guard. Rotom-wash and heat can cause pain, since they resist it's STABs, and can OHKO with Thunder bolt. Mega manectric is a massive pain, due to intimidate and electric type moves.

Talonflame is a funny Pokemon. Its got a typing that left many calling charizard terrible, largly due to stealth rocks. But none the less folks loved it when it was seen. Then when its stats where shown folks raged about how sub par it was. Sure great speed and attack bit super fragile. Then gale wings was discovered. And now youll find many folks talking about the value of this thing to the extent that if you have no Talonflame ciunter your team is lacking. Even more ironic is the two most used stabs it runs help faint this already frail pokekin by dealing recoil to itself.
    said a almost 30 year old married guy who part time drives a van.

Talon- BLITZ
    (say it like "falcon-punch. plz.)
    lonely/ 252atk/spa, 4speed. Item: lefties/LO
    -Swords Dance/Bulk Up/Roost
    -Brave Bird/acrobatics
    -Flare Blitz
    -Solarbeam
    This is the most beyond "Spam Brave Burdz" I can think of. Use in sun, obvious btw. Still carrying the standard brave bird, flare blitz, and a boosting move or roost. But solar beam means the bird can now kinda sorta cover its main resistances. Many pokemon with a resistance to flying and fire are 4x weak to grass. Even if they aren't, like Rotom W, one can still pack a hefty punch and deal some damage. This set makes the bird more of an unstoppable fiend than return and U-turn ever could.

I think past 2 weeks had CRAP pokemon. Marcel and Jupiter's B**** are some of my least favorite pokemon ever. At least they haven't done * shudders * Hypno...
    Last edited by ajgrocks100; 5th January 2014 at 2:44 PM. Reason: Bold Nature *chuckles* *facepalms*
    3DS: 0387-9436-2508: Friend Safari has Magmar, Ninetails, and Charmelon!
    PM meh. btw.

( I claim the master of all Grass Warriors )
    Breloom

Legit, non-eventShinys as of Diamond and Pearl:
    and now skrelp!

Oh, we're going into Talonflame now? Awesome. Gale Wings is a fantastic ability. All Flying moves get priority, which is damn ridiculous. You don't have to worry about any Choice Scarf user that doesn't resist Flying and straight up annihilate it. 126 Base Speed and a good offensive typing is good, but it has pretty bad defenses, a poor attack stat for standard and an extremely crippling x4 Stealth Rock weakness. It's dual STAB typing is great, but it's offensive movepool is also extremely barren, at best consisting of it's dual STAB, Steel Wing, Return, U-turn, and the (extremely gimmicky) Natural Gift. It's STAB moves hinder it's longevity significantly due to the recoil, although Roost does soothe this to an extent. Talonflame does complement it's STAB moves with Swords Dance and Bulk Up, both of which help it's sweeping capabilities significantly.

Falcon Punch
    Talonflame @ Choice Band
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EV Spread: 48 HP/252 Attack/208 Speed if Adamant; 76 HP/252 Attack/180 Speed if Jolly

Brave Bird
    Flare Blitz
    U-Turn
    Tailwind/Return/Roost/Will-O-Wisp

"An extremely efficient revenge killer" would be what defines Choice Band Talonflame. With 430 Attack (assuming Adamant) and priority Brave Bird, anything that doesn't resist it is off the match. Priority Brave Bird typically kills anything that doesn't resist it. Even resists such as Rotom take a decent amount of damage. In fact, uninvested Rotom-W, Gliscor, and a few other notable threats are actually 2HKOed after Stealth Rocks assuming Adamant Nature. Flare Blitz provides nice coverage with Brave Bird, destroying any Steel daring enough to switch in. With sun support, it becomes even more devastating. U-turn gives momentum and is good for Tyranitar, 252/0 variants 2HKOed after Stealth Rocks. The final move depends on your needs. Tailwind gives some Speed support to your team before it goes down. Return is it's strongest option against Mega Ampharos and Rotom-W. Roost recovers HP from the recoil and possibly Stealth Rocks, while Will-O-Wisp neuters some of it's safest switch ins such as Hippowdon and Gyarados. 208 Speed EVs outspeed max Speed base 105s such as Timid Manectric and Jolly Mega Pinsir. With a Jolly Nature, it can outspeed Thundurus, Choice Scarf Magnezone and Choice Scarf Tyranitar. The given HP EVs help it switch into Stealth Rock twice.

Defensive

Talonflame @ Leftovers
    Nature: Impish
    EV Spread: 248 HP/252 Defense/8 Speed

Will-O-Wisp
    Roost
    Substitute
    Brave Bird

A gimmicky set that doesn't find itself some use compared to the offensive sets but it can work. Talonflame boasts a nice defensive typing that grants it resistances to Fire, Fighting, Grass, Steel, Bug and Fairy. Although it doesn't have Pressure, Talonflame makes up for it with it's naturally high Speed and a priority Roost, which makes stalling much safer and less risky. Will-O-Wisp cripples typically anything that doesn't have Magic Guard or isn't a Fire type. It also helps with it's physical walling process. Roost and Substitute form the annoying SubRoost combo, which essentially stalls out the opponent's low PP moves and quickly render them unable to touch Talonflame over time. Brave Bird avoids it from being Taunt bait. Even without much investment it can still do some damage.
    Last edited by YagamiNoir4896; 5th January 2014 at 2:56 PM.
    Image removed. Check out the signature rules. If you need help, make sure to check out the signature check thread in newbie lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by pikadon92 View Post
    ^ For you Phoenix Set, I'll recommend giving it the Flying Gem. Even with its decrease in boost 55 base power * 1.5 STAB * 1.3 by gem consumption * 2 for no item is still something, right?

Or does the double in damage still works after flying gem is consumed?
    Pardon the double post; Flying Gem isn't released yet.
    Image removed. Check out the signature rules. If you need help, make sure to check out the signature check thread in newbie lounge.

Talonflame, the sixth/seventh generic bird pokemon to grace our presence. And like Staraptor before it, Talonflame commands a good degree of usability.

Typing: Fire-Flying is an ok typing. 6 resistances, two of them being quad doesn’t hurt, plus one immunity. The trade off doesn’t seem so bad, having only 3 weaknesses. The Donphan in the room is the quad weakness to Rock. That means Talonflame loses ˝ of its HP on the switch, though it is shielded from other entry hazards. The thing is alone, that stealth rock weakness can send a pokemon plummeting.
    As a stab combination, Fire-Flying is fairly redundant covering two of the same types and being commonly resisted by Rock. Otherwise it has appreciable neutral coverage, hitting both Fighting and Steel types super effectively.

Stats: Talonflame is fast, seriously fast. Base 126 is nothing to scoff at, outspeeding a huge number of threats in the game. Unfortunately, that is its lone stat above base 100. After that comes its ATK sitting at an usable Base 81. Its defenses leave much to be desired, sitting around average (HP @ 78) to below average (DEF @ 71 and SDEF @ 69). A frail pokemon super weak to Stealth Rock? Talonflame is not meant to live long. Its SATK is even lower than its ATK.

Moves: Talonflame has a movepool that complements its can-die stats, possessing both Brave Bird and Flare Blitz as STABs. Add to this U-Turn, Steel Wing, Return and Flail and you have the full extent of its physical movepool. Fear not, it can buff itself up using either Bulk Up or Swords Dance. Me First has interesting applications on such a fast pokemon, but that’s it. Talonflame’s support movepool is surprisingly effective; Roost and Tailwind are particularly powerful on Talonflame and no physical sweeper likes getting burned with Will-o-Wisp. A small movepool to be sure, but a viable one.

Abilities: Talonflame, like Azumarill is made by its ability. Its normal ability Flame Body is useless: Most contact attacks are likely to kill Talonflame after stealth rocks and recoil. Gale Wings on the other hand, is pure gold. All flying type moves get +1 Priority. That means even faster threats will get hit first unless they possess their own priority move. That also means Talonflame will get off Roost or Tailwind before its foe, giving Talonflame powerful support abilities as well. USE GALE WINGS.

The Verdict: Carpe diem. Talonflame lives by this motto as Stealth Rocks and recoil wear it down. Cleaning up frail sweepers or providing a dying speed boost, Talonflame will live fast and die fast.
    Last edited by Mestorn; 6th January 2014 at 4:59 PM.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

I'm just going to post my doubles set since it's slightly unique.

Talonflame @Sitrus/Chart Berry
    Gale Wings
    Adamant
    252 HP/252 Atk/6Spd
    Brave Bird
    Flare Blitz
    Tailwind
    Quick Guard/Taunt

To anyone who's run a tailwind team in doubles this generation, talonflame stands out as the most reliable and useful offensive tailwind setter, due to Gale wings. Priority Brave Bird is there for speed control against things like trick room. Quick Guard is preferred for countering enemy priority, which is critical, because for example, it let's your mega heracross rock blast an enemy talonflame without fear since quick guard blocks all priority moves, including gale wings and prankster induced priority. Taunt simply stops trick room from going up, but with aromatisse being a primary setter, and mental herb and rage powder support being common, it may go to waste Good teammates for tailwindflame include any powerhouse with powerful attacks or powerful spread moves and lackluster speed. This includes mega heracross, mega garchomp, mega gardevoir, clawitzer, and chandelure. Steel, fighting, and ground types also pair well to take rock slides.
    Pokemon X FC: 3411-1734-8348
    Avid Doubles and Rotation Battler and just getting started in Competitive Breeding!

Talonflame @ Leftovers
    EVs: 212 HP / 236 SDef / 60 Spd
    Careful Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Bulk Up
    - Roost
    - Taunt / Will-O-Wisp

This set is designed to take on some of Talonflames usual counters, such as Heatran, Landorus, Hippowdon and Gyarados. Bulk Up is the main move, boosting Attack and Defense simultaneously. While Talonflame is naturally not very bulky, with Special Defense investment it lives a lot of attacks from what are usually his counters. Priority Roost helps tremendously here, and removing the flying type often helps a lot against rock and electric type moves. The last slot is open. One should see which of Talonflames counters should be removed for your team. If Heatran is a problem, use Taunt to prevent it from Roaring you away. Taunt is also the better option against Hippowdon and other phazers. Will-O-Wisp is a more offensive move and can be used to cripple Tyranitar, Landorus-T and Gyarados. Choose the one that best fits your team.
        Spoiler:- DD stuff:

One of my early favorites in Generation VI, Talonflame is a solid Flying/Fire Type Pokémon.

Stats:
    -HP - Above Average - Not a bad start. Base 78 HP gives a little meat on this bird's bones.
    -Attack - Slightly-Above Average - Not a bad thing, but not the best Attack among the early-game birds. Base 81 is still very usable.
    -Defense - Below Average - Not so bad, but something about a 4x Weakness to Rock is a...*sunglasses* burning issue...
    -Sp.Atk - Below Average - Not quite as usable as that Attack, but still not bad. There's not much in the way of Special-based Moves though, so it's very forgettable.
    -Sp.Def - Below Average - Again, not so bad, but the fragility is starting to become obvious. However, one of the big reasons why I love Talon flame is...
    -Speed - Above Godly - ...that Base 126 Speed. Holding strong at 19th Place in Base Speed is a great thing. Tack on a Priority-based Ability and you've got something threatening.

Abilities:
    -Flame Body - Not the best Ability, but has its uses. Not on Talonflame, but it has its uses...
    -Gale Wings (Hidden, Available [Friend Safari]) - Flying-Type Moves have their Priority increased by 1. This shouldn't be an option - it should be a mandatory thing to use.

Overall, Talonflame suffers from Mediocre-to-Average defensive capabilities and a middling Attack Stat, but a huge advantage in Speed and Priority. If Talonflame were a car, it'd be burning rubber even at a standstill. STAB Flare Blitz and Priority STAB Brave Bird synergize quite well with Priority Roost, while Priority STAB Acrobatics will hit with slightly less Power than Priority STAB Brave Bird, but without the Recoil. Priority Tailwind is another option for a last ditch Move to aid your allies.

The reason for so much emphasis on Priority? Quick Guard (especially in Doubles/Triples), King's Shield, Spiky Shield, Protect, & Detect. These things and Cofagrigus's Mummy Ability will ruin Talonflame's day. On top of that, Rock Types scoff at Talonflame's STAB Moves and have STAB on that 4x Weakness.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Oh, Talonflame... 80% of OU Showdown teams seem to run it. If only Blaziken didn't get thoughtlessly banned, Talonflame would be the perfect counter. Oh well, let's look at this thing here.

THE SET EVERYONE USES

Talonflame @Life Orb/Leftovers/Choice Band
    -Adamant nature
    -252 atk / 252 speed (not that it needs to be faster)
    -Gale Wings (one of the best abilities in the game, and the ONLY reason people use Talonflame competitively).
    > Brave Bird
    > Flare Blitz
    > U-Turn
    > Return / Swords Dance (dance only on non-choice set)

That's basically its entire moveset, but that's all it needs. Without the Flying gem, acrobatics will never hit as hard as Brave Bird, and the lack of another item will severely limit its other attacks. Brave Bird gives you STAB, Priority, AND your strongest move. Who can complain with that? Flare Blitz is another great coverage move with the same power, and though it doesn't get priority, you're fast enough that almost nothing can hit you before. U-Turn for scouting, a quick escape on a non-choice set, and a bit of bug-type coverage. Return fills out as a basic "4th move" thing, hits hard without recoil. Swords Dance is risky, but with that PLUS your priority, you won't be getting stopped anytime soon.

The counter? Well, whatever you use, it needs to be able to take a hit. Fire/Flying is surprisingly good coverage, but it still has some gaps. ANY rock move will flatten the bird, though Stone Edge's 80% accuracy is painful. Its defenses aren't that great, though, so most attacks that aren't resisted should still hit hard. Pretty much ANYTHING that hits hard and can take a hit in return can kill this bird, although it's guaranteed to deal some damage in return.

It's also used as a fairly common counter-lead to Ferrothorn, and although it can't actually 1HKO it, it has enough threat to force the thorn out.

Bottom line, though. If you EVER plan on using talonflame, it is MANDATORY to bring defog/rapid spin support. Not only will it die in 2 switches anyway, but because all its power comes from recoil attacks, it will die even faster.
    Last edited by MythrilZenith; 5th January 2014 at 5:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MythrilZenith View Post
    It's also used as a fairly common counter-lead to Ferrothorn, and although it can't actually 1HKO it, it has enough threat to force the thorn out.
    252+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 372-444 (105.6 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

As it turns out, it can easily 1HKO even max defense Ferrothorn, even with Leftovers as its item. Most Ferrothorn don't run this spread, either.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Default Falcon... PUNCH!

Falcon... PUNCH!

Swords Dance
    Brave Bird
    Flare Blitz
    Roost
    Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Adamant
    EV: 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

As the name of the title says, When Talonflame has used Swords Dance once, its Brave Bird is going to take a huge Falcon Punch! out of the opponent's HP after a Swords Dance + STAB + 120 Base Power + Life Orb + Adamant + 252 Attack EV's + Gale Wings that will make Brave Bird (as well as Roost) having a +1 Speed Priority.
    Last edited by vhillmaster; 5th January 2014 at 5:47 PM. Reason: I forgot to add in the Effort Values & nature to the post.

Ah, Talonflame, one of my favorite new pokemon of the sixth gen. Gale wings also is a major benefit to the burning bird, and it is suited specially to the old fashioned hit em fast/hit em hard style of play, especially with the quad weakness to Rock and low defenses that means it will probably not survive more than four turns, especially with recoil. But then again, it's so fast that the Rock types that threaten it can be switched with thanks to U-turn.

Moveset:
    -Flare Blitz
    -Brave Bird
    -Acrobatics
    -U-turn/Steel Wing

In theory, the last three moves are interchangeable, the first two however are staples of all the Talonflames that I've seen that were used by competent battlers, especially with Gale Wings. U-turn lets you escape from inbound Rock Slides and Stone Edges, whilst Steel Wing enables you to attempt to take on a Rock or Fairy type, which is inadvisable, but it could work in theory. Acrobatics could be seen a a slightly weaker Brave Bird that has no recoil, but it prevents the use of a held item. If it wanted one. This set is Singles exclusive, and I don't advise using Talonflame in Doubles/Triples due to Rock Slide being all too common and a OHKO more often than not.

As for countering Talonflame, most damaging Rock-type moves will deal major damage to it due to its quad weakness and low defenses. Also, Electric-types can outspeed a Talonflame (as long as it isn't using a Flying-type move and Gale Wings) and hit it hard. Stealth Rock also decimates the bird's HP, causing it to end up KOing itself with the recoil.

Talonflame's greatness comes right from Gale Wings. Without it, this new firebird would be nothing more than a fast thing.
    But Gale Wings puts Talonflame in quite a position. A powerful one.
    Thanks to Gale Wings, Talonflame has priority on all Flying type moves. This means it has the benefits of Acrobatics, Roost, Brave Bird, and Tailwind getting the jump on many foes. To combine with Tailwind and Roost, Talonflame has U-Turn and Will-o-Wisp for scouting and crippling.
    However, Talonflame is the game's ultimate revenge killer and a superstar sweeper. In addition to STAB priority Acrabatics and Brave Bird, Talonflame has Flare Blitz, which works great with Flying. Plus, Talonflame gets STAB on Flare Blitz as well. The icing on the cake is two boosting moves: Bulk Up and Swords Dance.
    No Pokemon is perfect, and Talonflame is no exception. Unless you have something with Rapid Spin or Defog, Talonflame only has one chance to do its job because of a huge Stealth Rock weakness. In addition, despite access to Steel Wing, Talonflame is practically helpless against almost any Rock type, especially Tyranitar, Gigalith, Rhyperior, Barbaracle, and Tyrantrum.

Itemless Acrobatics
    EVs: 252 attack, 244 HP, 12 speed
    @: None

Acrobatics
    Flare Blitz
    Roost
    Swords Dance

This is the set I use. Thanks to Team Preview, you will know that a Talonflame without an item will be using Acrobatics, so you lack the surprise value. Even so, this set can ravage teams to pieces.
    The reason why I favor this set is because you don't give your opponent the opportunity to set up on you by having to use Roost as often. By eliminating the Brave Bird and Life Orb recoil, you gain more chances to use Acrobatics. Even though the power of Acrobatics is lower, even after the itemless boost, it isn't by much.
    Talonflame's raw power is not enough, but Swords Dance will provide the power you need. Flare Blitz is the best secondary STAB move for this set, and Roost is a priority healing move that should be capitalized on.
    The EV spread looks odd, but it allows Talonflame to get a surprise jump on opposing Talonflame and a few other priority users.
    I claim Buizel.

Aha my third favourite Bird Pokemon, only due to the fact that it is not really a Blackbird. I remeber before the release of X/Y how many were calling this thing garbage for being another stupid flying-type with an unoriginal name. It's funny how one of the previously ridiculed Pokemon whose pre-evo is encountered within the early routes has turned out to be one of the best Pokemon of 6th gen (Gaining a place next to Diggersby). It's also funny how its 4x weakness to rock and 1/2 damage to SR has neither stopped Smogon or competitive battlers worldwide from loving this thing. Gale Wings, high speed, usable Attack stat and accessibility to different flying moves has allowed it outclass Charizard and earn a place in almost everyone's team.

The BlackwingedRedbird
    Ability: Flame Body
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Careful
    Evs: I run 252 Hp and split the rest between the other stats
    - Bulk Up
    - Roost
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz

Yeah I know what you are thinking already. "What a gimmicky set, who would use it?" Well it's not as horrible as you may think. The set's purpose is to be bulky and yet be able to do damage when required. Bulk Up is to raise the defense, as the Evs in special defense are usually higher than that of physical defense. Roost is a staple to this set, making sure you have that priority recovery. The last two moves are its STABs to make sure you make use of those Bulk Up Attack boosts and can do some decent damage. Although I have barely used this set, it has helped with stalling out scarfed Rotom who has been toxiced and locked into an electric move.

Priority is Everything
    Item: Life Orb
    Evs: 252 Speed/252 Attack/6 HP
    - Tailwind/U-Turn
    - Roost
    - Brave Bird
    - Flare Blitz

I'm not going to bother explaining the last 3 moves as pretty much everyone above this post has explained it well enough. My focus will be on Tailwind over U-Turn. I find that U-Turning with TF just makes it take extra damage, whether it be from priority moves, Rocky Helmet Defensive counters (like Slowbro) or even Rough Skin Garchomp. It is easier to just switch out the old fashioned way, better than giving TF unnecessary damage (IMO). Tailwind is not only useful for doubles, but has been great for other purposes. When in a pinch in singles and another attack will just be useless, Tailwind can be used before dying, allowing the next Pokemon that enters to outspeed and possibly either set up or revenge kill. I find Tailwind to be more useful than U-turn, bt once again it is up to you what kind of set you want to run
    Last edited by 2406Blackbird; 5th January 2014 at 10:17 PM.

I need people for Friend Safari
    2DS friend code (Pokemon Y): 5000-2976-5362
    Send a private message my way if you add me.

Spoiler:- Previous In-Game Teams:

Default My sets.

Talonflame is excellent for many reasons but as many people blurt out over the internet, his motto is PRIORITY BRAVE BIRD!

Here's my set.

Check out my speed now!
    Stats and nature: same as above.
    Item: Life orb.
    Brave Bird
    Flare Blitz
    Bulk Up/Swords Dance/Roost/Tailwind
    U-Turn.
    This Talonflame set has slightly different counters in that if you're not careful it can boost up and then you're REALLY in for a world of hurt, which makes walling Talonflame not an option, else you'll risk being set-up bait to a bulked up Talonflame. Once again, the premise is hit stuff hard. the only difference is you can either boost or heal afterwards. Life Orb grants Talonflame that little bit more power, without locking it into a move like the choice item. it also Synergizes well with Roost. Flare Blitz and Brave Bird are the best STAB moves, and U-Turn can get Talonflame out of a sticky situation. Your third move-slot depends on whether you want mixed boosts, full-on offense, healing or team support. Roost has priority on top of a 1/2 HP heal which is very nice. Bulk Up boosts Talonflame's Attack and defense, albeit slower than Swords dance but that only boosts attack. Tailwind is an interesting option as it allows Talonflame to play more supportively by boosting the speed of all your other team. The only problem with this Talonflame is that it only has 4 move slots. The EV Spread capitalises on Talonflame's ability and allows it to crush it's foes. However, Talonflame does have shortcomings.

Counters: Faster electric-types and rock-types can destroy the Firehawk with extreme prejudice, taking Brave Birds easily and then dropping a thunderbolt or some rocks on it. (See: Jolteon, Electrode, Mega Manectric and Mega Aerodactyl.) Stealth Rock hurts Talonflame so much it won't even want to come in once against them!

Partners: RAPID SPIN OR DEFOG, FIRST AND FOREMOST. YOU DO NOT WANT STEALTH ROCKS ON THE FIELD.
    Otherwise, Mega Aerodactyl (oddly enough) makes a relatively good partner for Talonflame, wiping out it's counters with either Earthquakes or Rock Slides (including it's kin), while if you run into a Bulky Water-type that isn't named Swampert or Quagsire, Jolteon, Raichu or other electric-types work well.
    Greninja in particular is also a good mention, as it wipes out most pokemon that can wall Talonflame.

Other options: You could try running a Choice Band on it, but that would make Talonflame VERY predictable, and easily stopped. It also loses the ability to heal.
    Overheat is an interesting option that allows Talonflame to catch physical walls off guard. The only problem is, most physical walls are Steel or Rock-type. The former are already obliterated by Flare Blitz, the latter resist both of Talonflame's STABs. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Overheat just doesn't work. His special movepool is bad, to say the least, on top of the already mentioned overheat, his only other special attacks are Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Solar Beam and Hidden Power. Yeah.. Special Talonflame won't work at all.
    Next week's prediction: Charizard.
    Last edited by Neosonic97; 7th January 2014 at 8:06 PM.

Gotta love the fire bird. Best Fire Flying type.

Phoenix (won't go) Down
    252 Hp/ 252 defense/6 Attack
    -Brave Bird
    -Flare Blitz
    -Roost
    -Steel Wing/Tailwind
    Item: Eject Button
    A different set up. Used for scouting but doesn't need U-Turn. Brave bird and flare blitz because it's signature moves are necessary. Roost because priority healing rocks. Steel Wing for coverage, or tailwind to set up other pokemon. The Eject button is why the EV spread is as it is. Talonflame will take a hit, then switch out, to a mon that can handle the current situation.

Counters: ANYTHING WITH STEALTH ROCK. If you don't have a spinner or a pokemon With Magic Bounce, Talonflame goes bye-bye. Breloom can kill Talonflame with Rock Tomb on the switch. Terrakion kills it with Stone Edge on the switch. Almost any rock move Kills it on the switch. Mega-Heracross kills it with rock blast on the switch.

Partners: Something that can take a rock attack. Doesn't matter who, as long as it's not the same type.
    Meet Tropius, the once good Grass type nerfed in X & Y

We'll that speed up quickly
    252 speed/ 252 attack/ 6 sp def
    Gale wings
    -tailwind
    -flame charge
    -brave bird
    -uturn
    Item: charti berry/choice scarf
    A guerrilla fighter. This talonflame moves in with a tailwind to start the speed count. Then using choice scarf, dish out a couple flame charges if safe to do so. If a threat enters the field. Pull out with u-turn to bring out a counter. Talonflame with all the possible speed increases, could be brought out a a speedy executioner, and put an end to a substituting, king shielding agislash. Switching out with u-turn saves the need for a bulky defense, with all the focus on a speedy attack. A good partner set up if you decide on using the overpowered Mega-Kangashan to get the speed gain to allow even quicker movements to dish out a devastating return power.
    Schmmidtty was here

Talonflame @ Life Orb
    EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
    ~Swords Dance
    ~Acrobatics / Brave Bird
    ~Flare Blitz
    ~Roost / Tailwind / Steel Wing

Quote Originally Posted by Nulava View Post
    Talonflame @ Life Orb
    EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
    ~Swords Dance
    ~Acrobatics / Brave Bird
    ~Flare Blitz
    ~Roost / Tailwind / Steel Wing
    I would question the use of Life Orb on any Talonflame set. The recoil from both STAB moves, losing health from stealth rocks and exposure to Toxic, Sandstorm and Hail means that Talonflames life is exceedingly short as it is. Life Orb hurts more than it helps. Secondly, Acrobatics is exceeding weak unless no item is held. Life Orb is never dropped so the power drop in exchange for less recoil is not worth it. Talonflame's attack isn't high enough to attempt a sweep with an unboosted acrobatics.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

Suck It, Moltres
    Talonflame@Life Orb
    Adamant/Jolly nature
    Gale Wings
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Flare Blitz
    ~Brave Bird
    ~Steel Wing
    ~Swords Dance/Roost

Behold, GameFreak's way of compensating for Unfezant! Talonflame is absolutely amazing. Awesome Speed, usable Attack, an unbelievable Hidden Ability, and highly powerful STAB moves. Flare Blitz and Brave Bird are your main moves here. Brave Bird in particular, as Gale Wings turns it into Quick Attack on steroids. And Steel Wing's in there for additional coverage. It's not so useless now that it can plow through those Fairy-types. Last move is up to you, whichever one you think you need. Roost can help heal off the recoil damage, though let's be real here, anything that dies to Rock Throw ain't getting a lot of opportunities to heal up anytime soon. Swords Dance is decent as well, but less than practical for the same reasons. That said, if you can get in the opportunity to use one of them, then by all means, more power to you.

Item is for powering up Talonflame's moves. Ability grants priority to Brave Bird. You want priority on Brave Bird.

Other options:
    *Talonflame's Special Attack doesn't completely suck, so you might think that a special set would be worth consideration. You would be wrong. Flamethrower, Solar Beam, and Hidden Power, that's all you have to work with. Unless its Hidden Power type is Flying, you can't even abuse Gale Wings.
    *Having said that, however, Overheat is an interesting option on most sets, catch those physical walls off guard, though you'd want to change Talonflame's nature to one that doesn't hinder Special Attack.
    *Another odd yet potentially useful option is Me First. If you're good at prediction, you can turn moves onto your opponent for maximum ownage. The opposing Hydreigon about to unleash Draco Meteor? DENIED! Talonflame pulls off the move first for some sweet super effective death and destruction. Darmanitan about to blast you with a Sheer Force Rock Slide? Don't think so! Talonflame does it first for the KO. Crustle or Archeops's Stone Edge? Dragonite's Outrage? Drifblim's Thunderbolt? Me First, Me First, Me First!!!

Abilities:
    *Flame Body: Talonflame has a 30% chance to burn anything that uses a contact move on it. Not a bad Ability in and of itself, given how useful Burn as a status condition is, but it absolutely pales in comparison to...
    *Gale Wings: Talonflame's Hidden Ability. All of Talonflame's Flying moves, including the non-damaging ones, gain +1 priority. This includes Brave Bird. 120 base power with STAB and priority. Yeah. Need I say more?

Partners:
    Spinners, Defoggers, Magic Bouncers, anything you can do to keep those Stealth Rocks the hell off your side of the field. That's Talonflame's major problem- the big, fat Stealth Rock weakness. Especially considering its major moves deal recoil damage. Failing that, a little well-timed Wish support goes a long way.

Counters:
    Physical Greninja with Water Shuriken can potentially destroy Talonflame before it can make a move. Aerodactyl resists both of Talonflame's STABs, outspeeds it, can OHKO with any Rock move ever, and once Mega Evolved, has the defenses to take one of those hits. Honestly, though, not a lot can take on Talonflame, due to that big fat STAB priority Brave Bird. And that's not even taking a Swords Dance into consideration. If the opposing Talonflame has used Swords Dance... well, there's a lot to be said for ragequitting.

Opinion:
    I like it. Cool design, and it's awesome that an early-game bird finally becomes a real OU superstar. Hasn't happened since Staraptor, I believe.

Prediction for next week:
    Gourgeist

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast