Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    The thing is, the reputation system is also restrictive, in that there is no way to respond to comments made, even when the person would have a legitimate response. It just seems like an easy way for people to dodge a discussion. They can post essentially whatever they want there (and they do), and there's no way to reply.
    In my mind, it can be a way to dodge having a conversation with the person. In the Debate Forum, I have gotten neg rep (which I really don't care about, I'm not whining) that said "There is so much wrong with this." Well, I would rather that person post in the thread so I can defend my point of view and we can openly discuss our ideas.

A suggestion I would like to make is to categorize the avatars and either have a specific search function for them or keep a "Previously Viewed" list because there are a lot of them and they get lost, after a point. Also, could they all be shown on one page so you don't have to keep clicking next page, next page? I don't know if this is feasible or not, with the servers, just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonair7 View Post
    In my mind, it can be a way to dodge having a conversation with the person. In the Debate Forum, I have gotten neg rep (which I really don't care about, I'm not whining) that said "There is so much wrong with this." Well, I would rather that person post in the thread so I can defend my point of view and we can openly discuss our ideas.
    Exactly. It's essentially a way to get around a discussion, where the person might actually have a response to your question or comment, especially in a debate section. Not only is this bad for discussions, but it's bad for the individual members, who may be less inclined to be honest about the topic at hand.
    Last edited by SBaby; 9th April 2014 at 12:54 AM.
    Rules of fansites:
    1 - You can either be right, or you can be happy.
    3 - If you think someone is lying about being an expert, they are.
    5 - If you think someone is lying about knowing people who work in the industry, they are.
    14 - All sources are one-sided.
    27 - There's no such thing as an honest politician.

A suggestion I have for Serebii.net is to update the IV Calculator. It would be a good idea to update it to include the new Kalos Pokemon. Currently, you can only get Pokemon up to Gen 5, which isn't helpful if you want to calculate the IVs of a Kalos Pokemon, such as Goomy.
    My trade shop is now open!
    --------------------------------------------
    The Cosmic Voyage (on hiatus because of boredom)
    --------------------------------------------
    3DS Friend Code: 1418 - 7771 - 0495
    Friend Safari: Grass
    2DS Friend Code: 1865 - 0564 - 3202
    Friend Safari: Psychic
    ---------------------------------------------
    YouTube
    DeviantArt
        Spoiler:- Shiny Pokemon:
    I HAVE CLAIMED SEALEO. YOU WILL PERISH AT THE FLIPPERS OF THE SEALEO MASTER RACE (Spheal was already claimed).

Quote Originally Posted by ShachonianX View Post
    A suggestion I have for Serebii.net is to update the IV Calculator. It would be a good idea to update it to include the new Kalos Pokemon. Currently, you can only get Pokemon up to Gen 5, which isn't helpful if you want to calculate the IVs of a Kalos Pokemon, such as Goomy.
    There already is one. Notice on the right side of the page it lists "IV Calculator XY" right under "IV Calculator". If you get to the IV Calculator through clicking the "Game Mechanics" link on the left side from the main site, instead of clicking the link in one of the paragraphs look for it on the right hand side under "Mechanics".

I know this is actually the forums suggestion thread, but maybe the Game Mechanics page could be updated to make the IV Calculator link take one to the XY calculator from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by ShachonianX View Post
    Due to the Base stats being altered in Gen 6, Arty2 chose to create a new IV Calculator, instead of having two Entries for several Pokémon. It's here: http://serebii.net/games/iv-calcxy.shtml But I do agree, Serebii should to update them both for bug fixes.

Arty2 is the Webmaster of another Pokémon Website, so you may need to visit his site if you want him up update his IV Calc.

One final thing. This is thread is intended for Suggestions for the forums.

I have two suggestions to make.

First: There should be a page for newbies that have instructions on how to edit profile and the various ways the forum worked, as one of said newbies i never found anything like that, so if it dosen't exist, it'd be nice if it did, and if it does exist, it needs to be a bit more obvious, all i found was the rules page.

Second: the Avatar system is annoying if your looking for a particular pokemon, there needs to be a search box. There is also no obvious way to get a custom avatar, although i've seen a few around i see no way to get one from the account settings page.

So yeah, both of these are newbie support.
    XYfriendcode 3368-1677-8811
    I can breed these pokemon, as well as others to High IVs
    Chancey with sisemic toss+aromatherapy
    Skarmory+stealthrocks+whirlwind+bravebird
    Larvitar+curse+DD+stealthrocks
    HA Dratini+extreemspeed
    HA Chimchar+thunderpunch
    HA Noibat+switcheroo
    Scyther+Defog+ Baton pass
    HA Tyrunt+DD

I'm mostly looking for shinys right now, although competitive stuff would be nice too (but i do have a large number of the harder to get things).

I'm also looking for a competitive HA lugia and will offer multiple things to get it.

Hope you have a nice day and if you sneezed whilst reading this, bless you.

Um, I would like to make a suggestion. So you guys know there's a tech help thread right? So I was wondering if you were able to make a general tech discussion section. Like there would be an iOS discussion thread, an Android discussion thread, something like that. Thanks for hearing what I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by succeeddamnyou View Post
    I have two suggestions to make.

First: There should be a page for newbies that have instructions on how to edit profile and the various ways the forum worked, as one of said newbies i never found anything like that, so if it dosen't exist, it'd be nice if it did, and if it does exist, it needs to be a bit more obvious, all i found was the rules page.

Second: the Avatar system is annoying if your looking for a particular pokemon, there needs to be a search box. There is also no obvious way to get a custom avatar, although i've seen a few around i see no way to get one from the account settings page.

So yeah, both of these are newbie support.
    There is a link called FAQ right next to Private Messages.

Custom avatars I believe are only allowed for staff.
    2015-2017: VGC Premier Challenge Organizer / Midseason Showdown Organizer
    Super Mario Maker Profile: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nint...ile/KINGARCEUS
    Showdown: Playful Latios
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/dragonexpert

I knew somebody probably bought this up before but closing Fake Card Discussion would be a good idea since it hasn't been posted in since late February.

Maybe add in a feature that allows users to submit avatars for approval?

Not a per use basis but like they submit, it gets put into a section, everyone can use it after it's submitted.
    To lack fear is stupidity, to face it is bravery.

I think space limits is the reason why custom avatars aren't allowed but your idea could work Zelphon. They would likely need to be pokemon based though and SFW.

This is more of a bug than a suggestion.

Whenever I log in if I return later to the forum I am logged out. If I put my username and password in, I will get the Thank You for logging in message, but then I don't get logged in. The only way I actually get logged in is by refreshing the page or clicking a link. I use Google Chrome as my browser. Other sites that use cookies work fine so I know it isn't my browser. I'm guessing some output is probably being sent before the setcookie function executes.
    2015-2017: VGC Premier Challenge Organizer / Midseason Showdown Organizer
    Super Mario Maker Profile: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nint...ile/KINGARCEUS
    Showdown: Playful Latios
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/dragonexpert

Create a preset list of reasons to downvote someone for the reputation system. (trolling, flaming, harassment, off-topic, spam, etc.) A perfect example of how the reputation system is broken is evident in the Elite 4/Gym Leader discussion where downvotes are spread on this basis of i don't like your opinion, i think i'll downvote you for no reason other than a difference of opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    How about new user title bars for the new gym leaders in BW2 and XY?
    You could ask EmeraldGoblin to make them I'm sure they could; the badges are beautiful. It's not my place to ask them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    And making the Pokédex link that's under the forums banner link to the xy pokédex instead of the bw one.
    That link is very helpful, and the bw pokédex has been rather irrelevant since October.

Is it possible to make spoilers that can close after you open them? A few other forums I go to (including one powered by V Bulletin), have this set in place. It would make scrolling down a page much easier since most spoilers are pretty lengthy.

It would be nice if that was fixed so happy style had the same links as the other skins.

Also the "pokedex" link takes me to the BW pokedex. It should take me to the XY pokedex.

Very minor, but potentially changing the description of the X&Y forum. It still says, "Discuss the upcoming games Pokémon X & Y here"
    Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco
    Listen to PerseusRad.
    http://i.imgur.com/EUkIomS.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
    Is it possible to make spoilers that can close after you open them? A few other forums I go to (including one powered by V Bulletin), have this set in place. It would make scrolling down a page much easier since most spoilers are pretty lengthy.
    it's apparently a hack, which joe doesnt like adding if not necessary. it's stupid and the staff wishes we could do that as well, but youd be better off asking vb to make it a permanent change.
    COME TO #SPP-MISC

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)
    Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)
    [21:03] <+Skiks> ellie is out of context
    [21:04] <+Skiks> the experience

Quote Originally Posted by Ellie View Post
    it's apparently a hack, which joe doesnt like adding if not necessary. it's stupid and the staff wishes we could do that as well, but youd be better off asking vb to make it a permanent change.
    Couldnt you make a case for it to be "necessary"? It seems like this particular instance has a strong following, and it doesnt leave much, if any, room for a slippery slope argument for future cases.

Couldnt you make a case for it to be "necessary"? It seems like this particular instance has a strong following, and it doesnt leave much, if any, room for a slippery slope argument for future cases.
    Personally, I think the only Plugins are really only added if the forum could become Near impossible to Moderate without it - That is my personal opinion, based on what I've seen in the past.

I'd see more chance with a Spam Bot remover: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248042 Mind you there may be a spam bot plugin installed, but the Admin CP has never been open to me, so I can't confirm it.

Nah, it's not that necessary in the long run. When we mean "necessary" it's like Nutter said, it's about accessibility for us being able to moderate the forums or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    Mind you there may be a spam bot plugin installed
    There is.

Star-Lord

Well that's unfortunate. Granted, when I said necessary, I put it in quotation marks to imply that it would be 'necessary' in regards to it not being totally needed, but a feature that most people would agree that would be helpful to the forum as a whole.

Yeah, but we have to operate under something that is the literal definition

Star-Lord

what moogles said. and tbh it probably is a good thing because we don't have anyone on staff who programs and could update the plugins regularly, so if they were incompatible with a version update, we could be stuck. because of that we only add things we truly need. spoiler tag closing is something that might be nice but is not needed right now, and there are plenty of other plugins that fit that definition that other people have suggested.
    COME TO #SPP-MISC

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)
    Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)
    [21:03] <+Skiks> ellie is out of context
    [21:04] <+Skiks> the experience

Someone else asked it before, but he didn"t get an answer.

Are there any minisprites in the making (or planned) for gen VI?
    Last edited by eiger; 28th May 2014 at 4:50 PM.
    Shiny Trophy Collection: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, - Perfect 5IV: ,,,,,,,,,

Current Shiny Hunt: SS: SR Shiny || Y: Perfect 5IV
    3DS FC: eiger 2466-2804-0760

I Have Claimed Carracosta!!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast