Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 261

Thread: Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    684

    Default

    I think the reputation system needs to be done away with entirely. I think it is a tool for cowards who were owned in a discussion/debate and have no logical response and those whose skin is so thin that they cannot handle seeing an opinion different from their own.

    If the reputation system stays, it should be modified to allow people to know who exactly is behind it. Without anonymity to hide behind, the cowards who neg rep people for no good reason will stop since it is not in their nature to do anything in the open. I think this forum will become a much happier place when that happens.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
    Does Dawn own Misty? Yes she does!

  2. #102

    Default

    ^ The problem with your suggestion to display the name of the member who sent reputation is that people who can't handle any criticism at all and just get pissy at any negative rep (even if there is a good reason) will probably start drama directed at the user who sent it. This is what happened the first time the reputation system was used 9 years ago.
    Last edited by Canada; 31st May 2014 at 2:43 AM.

  3. #103

    Default

    yeah no. there are several reasons why we have it set up the way it is:

    1. neg rep provides balance to the system. if only positive rep is allowed to be given, it is easier for bad posters to get higher reputation than they should have if one or two people with a high reputation score likes them and and gives them positive rep all the time. i saw this even with the system we have now, but negative allows a counterbalance to an extent.

    2. anonymous reputation prevents drama. again, i saw this both in the past when the system was fully open and in the current system when a glitch allowed some accounts to see who gave them rep. people who could see reputation would purposely neg those who negged them and also harass them asking why. that's not the way it's supposed to work.


    also, keep in mind a few things about the system. if you receive one neg every once in awhile, it is not the end of the world. some people won't like your posts, that is life. i've gotten a few along with most other regular posters. the system is set up so that it is hard for the same person to give you reputation over and over. i am not saying it doesnt happen period because i am sure it has, but you have to wait at least two days between repping the same person again, so they'd have to be pretty dedicated. that means if you are constantly getting negged for the same type of posts, multiple people don't like how you are posting, and maybe some self-reflection is in order.


    be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)
    Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)
    [21:03] <+Skiks> ellie is out of context
    [21:04] <+Skiks> the experience

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    684

    Default

    I hear what you are saying and as long as I cannot get banned for reputation points then it doesn't really matter to me. However, I don't like when I give an opinion that is outside of the norm for this forum, like Iris being one of the best characters in the show, and some coward slithered like a snake on its belly and neg reps me because they have nothing intelligent to say. That's all.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
    Does Dawn own Misty? Yes she does!

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chalkus View Post
    I hear what you are saying and as long as I cannot get banned for reputation points then it doesn't really matter to me. However, I don't like when I give an opinion that is outside of the norm for this forum, like Iris being one of the best characters in the show, and some coward slithered like a snake on its belly and neg reps me because they have nothing intelligent to say. That's all.
    You pretty much said it right here. It's a way for people to dodge a conversation by posting some random question or comment. It takes away from what could otherwise be a good conversation about something on the site, and disinclines people from being honest.
    Last edited by SBaby; 31st May 2014 at 8:12 PM.
    Rules of fansites:
    1 - You can either be right, or you can be happy.
    3 - If you think someone is lying about being an expert, they are.
    5 - If you think someone is lying about knowing someone in the industry, they are.
    19 - There's no such thing as an accurate poll.
    46 - Debates never change peoples' minds.

  6. #106

    Default

    This is pretty small but I was wondering why members are not able to change the title of their own threads? It doesn't seem like something that would cause any trouble. When I tried to edit the title of one of my threads it just kept going back to the way I originally had it.

    If members could do that it would probably save time since people won't have to ask a mod to correct a mistake/bad wording or something.
    Last edited by Canada; 31st May 2014 at 7:47 PM.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Saint Paul for coolness
    Posts
    1,842

    Default

    Why do you guys even try? No, honestly, you guys know you'll have to accept this, regardless of whatever you say and your points are.
    People will also complain about neg reps until the end of their life, despite the fact it changes nothing. Then again, when it does make sense it's one thing, but generally it's not like that. It's like talking to a wall, it won't do any difference, at all. So give it up and accept it. Same stuff has been discussed before and here's the outcome. MODs generally don't fear or care with the neg reps, because you know the community won't neg rep them, so assuming this complaint is all but nitpicking is easy, I suppose.
    Last edited by Sohryu; 31st May 2014 at 7:57 PM.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akanjăo View Post
    Why do you guys even try? No, honestly, you guys know you'll have to accept this, regardless of whatever you say and your points are.
    People will also complain about neg reps until the end of their life, despite the fact it changes nothing. Then again, when it does make sense it's one thing, but generally it's not like that. It's like talking to a wall, it won't do any difference, at all. So give it up and accept it. Same stuff has been discussed before and here's the outcome. MODs generally don't fear or care with the neg reps, because you know the community won't neg rep them, so assuming this complaint is all but nitpicking is easy, I suppose.
    The fact is on a personal level, I really could care less what my own reputation is. My concerns are that this system makes people less inclined to be honest in their posts, and it also detracts from an otherwise productive conversation, by allowing people to post in a place where there is no way to respond. On more than one occasion, I've been repped, where people have asked a question. I have an answer for every single question I've been asked there so far, but there's no way to address them there, because you can't reply to them.

    I do however enjoy the irony of how someone criticizes a member here, and it's constructive criticism. But whenever someone criticizes something on the site or the way things are run here, it's complaining. It really says a lot.
    Last edited by SBaby; 5th June 2014 at 6:48 PM.
    Rules of fansites:
    1 - You can either be right, or you can be happy.
    3 - If you think someone is lying about being an expert, they are.
    5 - If you think someone is lying about knowing someone in the industry, they are.
    19 - There's no such thing as an accurate poll.
    46 - Debates never change peoples' minds.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    I'm Everywhere
    Posts
    218

    Default

    I actually have two suggestions that are both for the forums

    1. X and Y TCG and Diamond and Pearl TCG avatars, when I looked I didn't find either of these in the avatar section, and I'm sure many people want them anyways

    2. Groups, no not those private groups the other groups! I didn't notice any of those and I think they are necessary to these forums! They will make these forums a better place if added!

    I hope you take the time to read these, and I hope you'll think these ideas are great

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    6,842

    Default

    E3 is June 9 - Are you going to open the threads? Just remember to clean up the place up before you make it public!

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cali...forn...I...A
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Not sure if this right place or if this can even be done because I'd be very interested in doing it but my suggestion is to have Serebii premiere league much like smogon has but for the forums here, in think it'll be a big thing about twice a year it's hosted.



    *Credit to SwornMetalhead at deaderic design for the aura banner, credit to astral shadow at the under for the buttons*

  12. #112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Glaceon! View Post
    I actually have two suggestions that are both for the forums

    1. X and Y TCG and Diamond and Pearl TCG avatars, when I looked I didn't find either of these in the avatar section, and I'm sure many people want them anyways

    2. Groups, no not those private groups the other groups! I didn't notice any of those and I think they are necessary to these forums! They will make these forums a better place if added!

    I hope you take the time to read these, and I hope you'll think these ideas are great
    1. they will probably happen eventually but joe is really the only one who uploads avatars

    2. we used to have them but they did not work for this forum at all. vbulletin does nto give very good tools to moderators to manage the groups and there was way too much spam.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Last Jedi View Post
    Not sure if this right place or if this can even be done because I'd be very interested in doing it but my suggestion is to have Serebii premiere league much like smogon has but for the forums here, in think it'll be a big thing about twice a year it's hosted.
    we used to have a league but it was closed for multiple reasons. it could be opened again in the future if the competitive mods decide to do so but it's up to them.


    be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)
    Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)
    [21:03] <+Skiks> ellie is out of context
    [21:04] <+Skiks> the experience

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    10

    Default

    I have a suggestion about the forums. How about we add a breeding section? With the new mechanics in the gen 6 games, I'm sure it would help a lot of people out if they are breeding for a certain move, or how to do other things, like inherit natures and such. I myself have been breeding pokemon for my competitive team lately, and it certainly is a hassle to have to go to a bunch of different sites to get the information. I hope that this is added, and if it is, it helps out a lot of people!
    "I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." -Mewtwo

    FC: 3711-8594-8266

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Swagikarp Village
    Posts
    1,818

    Default

    It'd be nice if we could send a person PMs through their profile or have the drop down menu from their link via VM.

    It'd be cool if we got some advance avatars, they'd be somewhat relevant now that ORAS remakes are all announced and stuff.
    To lack fear is stupidity, to face it is bravery.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    TX, USA
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Is it possible for an update on the Pokemon smilies from the DP and BW sprites to XY sprites? For instance, all Gen 1-4 pokemon have animated Gen 4 style sprites [, , etc] and Unova pokemon have unanimated Gen 5 sprites [, , etc].

    ->, ->, and the like.

    In my opinion, it would look better and be easier (especially for signature purposes) to have all Gen 6 sprites, as they would be easier to use (;dexnumber; is much easier to use and takes up less space than referencing an outside sprite), look better overall, and none of them would stick out awkwardly as they occasionally do currently.
    αS:


    3DS FC: 5472-7644-7605

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    T.A.R.D.I.S.
    Posts
    6,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chalkus View Post
    I think the reputation system needs to be done away with entirely. I think it is a tool for cowards who were owned in a discussion/debate and have no logical response and those whose skin is so thin that they cannot handle seeing an opinion different from their own.
    I agree with the bolded part, I think the rules for rep (once the issues are fixed) should probably include a clause about not using it to get back at opponents in the Debate Forum, and not using it to punish GMs who won't let your unreasonable sign-up through in the RPG Forum. Even better if it was disable in those forums to discourage it (though I don't know if that is even possible).
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files
    Twitter: @CleverKraken

    CleverKraken - Shop dolls, accessories, décor, and more.


    “Once, or twice, in a lifetime, if you're lucky, there are moments. Someone slices the world open,
    right down the middle and you can see the sky behind it. The true world. And you understand your purpose.”
    (Frances Booth - Channel Zero; Candle Cove)

  17. #117
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Hyperion Heights, Seattle
    Posts
    6,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    , and not using it to punish GMs who won't let your unreasonable sign-up through in the RPG Forum. Even better if it was disable in those forums to discourage it (though I don't know if that is even possible).
    I give rep for good posts in the RPG section. :/ I wouldn't want it disabled there.

    I look like someone else, but I'm just me.
    With you standing by my side, I won't be lonely.
    I look like someone else, but I'm just me!
    My name is Mimikyu, don't call me spooky!
    3DS Friend Code, Nintendo Network ID, and Switch FC

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    From the land down under...
    Posts
    7,958

    Default

    I don't feel that reputation is possible to disable in certain sections, but I cannot tell. But I don't see why we would do that. If people abuse rep, no matter where it is (debates, rps, etc),, you can report it to a mod and we'll look into it + deal with appropriately. No reason to disable it in a section imo because some bad cases were there, when we can just continue acting on reports.
    Is it possible for an update on the Pokemon smilies from the DP and BW sprites to XY sprites?
    Up to Serebii himself on if he wants to upload them and in what form if so.
    It'd be nice if we could send a person PMs through their profile or have the drop down menu from their link via VM.
    Could you elaborate? For instance, PMs viewable on the same page as the profile page, like in a separate tab to VMs, About Me, etc? Doubt that's possible without a forum hack and that wouldn't be added for that (nor do I see a need for that myself, tbh).

    I also do not understand what you mean by 'drop down menu from their link via VM'.
    I have a suggestion about the forums. How about we add a breeding section? With the new mechanics in the gen 6 games, I'm sure it would help a lot of people out if they are breeding for a certain move, or how to do other things, like inherit natures and such. I myself have been breeding pokemon for my competitive team lately, and it certainly is a hassle to have to go to a bunch of different sites to get the information. I hope that this is added, and if it is, it helps out a lot of people!
    Breeding is too narrow a topic for discussion and help to warrant a whole section, imo. It just never gets that much activity in threads for it. Maybe a thread in the right sections is better, and X&Y already covers breeding with this general purpose thread: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...chanics-Thread And people can always ask for help in the X&Y help thread sticky too, including for questions about breeding Pokémon.

    A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.


    Pokémon news, opinions, creative works and more. Now live!


    Pokkén Tournament DX Review
    The Numbers Game: Shiny and Perfect Pokémon

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    T.A.R.D.I.S.
    Posts
    6,009

    Default

    Um... okay, yeah, I can see the argument there, but I still think the rep rules are a little too vague.
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files
    Twitter: @CleverKraken

    CleverKraken - Shop dolls, accessories, décor, and more.


    “Once, or twice, in a lifetime, if you're lucky, there are moments. Someone slices the world open,
    right down the middle and you can see the sky behind it. The true world. And you understand your purpose.”
    (Frances Booth - Channel Zero; Candle Cove)

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    6,842

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    Um... okay, yeah, I can see the argument there, but I still think the rep rules are a little too vague.
    Sometimes I think the rules are kept vague for a reason, especially when the issue isn't a "technical" one.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonair7 View Post
    A suggestion I would like to make is to categorize the avatars and either have a specific search function for them or keep a "Previously Viewed" list because there are a lot of them and they get lost, after a point. Also, could they all be shown on one page so you don't have to keep clicking next page, next page? I don't know if this is feasible or not, with the servers and vBulletin, so its just a suggestion.
    I posted this a while ago and never got a response. Don't mean to be a pest, but does that mean that this isn't feasible with the system, or did it just get skipped with all the suggestions?

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Llantrisant
    Posts
    6,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonair7 View Post
    I posted this a while ago and never got a response. Don't mean to be a pest, but does that mean that this isn't feasible with the system, or did it just get skipped with all the suggestions?
    It's not feasible, and it's been asked many times before which is why your post was probably skipped. The avatars are uploaded in correct order, but the forum randomises them. This is evident by the fact that they are a different order for different people. There's nothing that can be done about that, and a search function is equally unavailable (as it requires a forum hack).

  23. #123
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    232

    Default

    one question: did the reputation system ended? O mean... I can't see it anymore...

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Swagikarp Village
    Posts
    1,818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mustache View Post
    one question: did the reputation system ended? O mean... I can't see it anymore...
    Sort of the wrong place to ask this...but no it's just been disabled do to a glitch.

    There was and is a site wide announcement about this.
    To lack fear is stupidity, to face it is bravery.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murder Doll View Post
    Sort of the wrong place to ask this...but no it's just been disabled do to a glitch.

    There was and is a site wide announcement about this.
    oh! I just spotted it lol. thanks anyways

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •