Typing: Water
    Base Stats:

Hit Points: 100
    Ph. Attack: 100
    Ph. Defense: 100
    Sp. Attack: 100
    Sp. Defense: 100
    Speed: 100

Here is the site credentials to Manaphy's movepool from Smogon.

Last generation, he had a short try in OU for his legality in OU's Black and White Era. But the eternal rain just made manaphy too broken since not even Ferrothorn, the Anti Water Rain knight, couldn't beat the Prince of the sea most of the time thanks to the intense power of it's tail glow and water type attacks alone (Scald was the worst just after +3 Ice beam). Rotom Wash and Gastrodon just get swatted by Energy Ball to the mecha face. Jellicent couldn't outstall him thanks to Hydration removing every status under the rain. Thus, the poor prince last generation couldn't hangout with his buddies: Celebi and Jirachi. Mama Kyogre with skymin weren't enough company. Some of the Ubers even said that last generation, Manaphy is one of the poorest performers since its stats are just "not fitting enough for Ubers" unlike Skymin.

When Kalos came to the pokemon world last year of October, the weather creep just got greatly reduced to merely 5 to 8 turns making his pseudo immunity to status gone. Importantly, the rain won't boost its +3/+6 water type attacks as well. While the two factors hurt the fact that it will not be ubers anymore, that trade off gives him a greater reward by making him for the first time "Not Broken" in OU.

With the Uprising of the Bulky Offense (known as the Bulky Offense Renaissance) as of today, Manaphy, like his buddies Celebi, Jirachi, Mew, and Shaymin Land Forme, fits the Bulky Attacking role of today's Metagame. Just like his other friends, he can play multiple roles as well ; from spreading burns through scald, attacking all out with tail glow and its offensive arsenal, up until the tankish cleric role.

With that said, currently on Smogon, Manaphy is actually ranked as A+. The same viability ranking that Talonflame has alongside the Lati twins.

It's standard Uber sets proves to be deadly yet manaeable this time. From Offensive attacker, to Calm Mind attacker. No one wants to mess around this cute thing this time. Probably this time, he is taking Jirachi's spotlight as a bulky attacker no thanks to the steel nerf (and not replacing its Psychic typing with Fairy ... sadly).

Discuss.
    Last edited by jireh the provider; 9th January 2014 at 8:19 AM.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

I know I personally dislike using Manaphy, just because I got a thing about using legendaries, but it it very useful. The moveset I ran with Manaphy was:

Rest
    Rain Dance
    Tail Glow
    Scald

The Rain allowed you to use rest and get the HP restoration while healing it right away, and of course the Rain helped with scald as well. Then it was just a matter of raising the spattk and spamming scald and healing when needed.

As for the EV spread, I usually had spdef and speed maxed out with a small boost to spattk, and the nature was beneficial for speed and lowered attack(sorry, I can never remember the names of the Natures). As for the Held item...I changed it a bit, both Leftovers and FDamp rock worked well, just depended on the team you were facing, but I admit I leaned to Damp rock, the rain extension not only allowed me to use rest, but it protected my from other status's as well, so another plus.

Final note: This is my first post in this section so sorry if I sound like a total noob XD
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Too Slow to actually be truly effective imo. Gets killed by key threats like Greninja before it can Set Up

Quote Originally Posted by Amaan View Post
    Too Slow to actually be truly effective imo. Gets killed by key threats like Greninja before it can Set Up
    ...Base 100 speed is far from bad though, especially considering respectable 100/100/100 bulk. Also, Greninja only 3HKOs with Life Orb Dark Pulse, and is 2HKO'd by an unboosted Energy ball, so it's honestly the least of Manaphy's worries. Its problem is having trouble muscling through Mega Venusaur, who pretty much shuts it down due to not minding Ice Beam thanks to Thick Fat. Specially defensive Sylveon doesn't really mind it either, only being 2HKO'd by Surf at +3. Still though, being able to boost to +3 in one turn is no joke, and a reason to watch out for Manaphy, even if the loss of permanent rain hurt its damage output and stopped fueling its Hydration.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    ...Base 100 speed is far from bad though, especially considering respectable 100/100/100 bulk. Also, Greninja only 3HKOs with Life Orb Dark Pulse, and is 2HKO'd by an unboosted Energy ball, so it's honestly the least of Manaphy's worries. Its problem is having trouble muscling through Mega Venusaur, who pretty much shuts it down due to not minding Ice Beam thanks to Thick Fat. Specially defensive Sylveon doesn't really mind it either, only being 2HKO'd by Surf at +3. Still though, being able to boost to +3 in one turn is no joke, and a reason to watch out for Manaphy, even if the loss of permanent rain hurt its damage output and stopped fueling its Hydration.
    Wrong. Even Mega-Venusaur can't safely wall it because of Psychic. Tail Glow/Surf/Energy Ball/Psychic is a lure set specifically made to destroy Rotom-W and Mega-Venusaur.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    Wrong. Even Mega-Venusaur can't safely wall it because of Psychic. Tail Glow/Surf/Energy Ball/Psychic is a lure set specifically made to destroy Rotom-W and Mega-Venusaur.
    I can honestly say I have never seen Psychic on a Manaphy before. But then again, considering it only had about a 3.5% usage on Manaphy in January, I guess that's not exactly unbelievable to assume it's not commonly used. But yeah, I suppose that's what makes it a good lure set.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

ya the ladder is terrible atm. Psychic Manaphy is getting pretty common to check its counters and checks like Mega Venusaur and Conkeldurr, tho it has to give up ice beam making it weaker to grass and dragons, or energy ball making it weaker to waters. Its a good bait set tho

It's pretty much the Rain-Team Mew. I happen to like Mew, so of course I like this guy as well. It definitely needs either Grass Knot or Ice Beam to cover those pesky Gastrodons and Grass-types.
    What is Life's Greatest Illusion?
    Innocence, my brother...

ya it has ice beam and energy ball so it can cover them as well as psychic for mega venusaur and conkeldurr

Psychic is always good when it comes to dealing with those two, Conkeldurrs get crippled by Spec. Psychic attacks wayyyy too easily, and Venusaur is pretty much screwed when Psychic is dropped, 2HKO at most, unless it Mega Evolves. I have never tested the effectiveness of Psychic against Mega Venusaur.
    What is Life's Greatest Illusion?
    Innocence, my brother...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FusRoDah View Post
    Psychic is always good when it comes to dealing with those two, Conkeldurrs get crippled by Spec. Psychic attacks wayyyy too easily, and Venusaur is pretty much screwed when Psychic is dropped, 2HKO at most, unless it Mega Evolves. I have never tested the effectiveness of Psychic against Mega Venusaur.
    252 SpA Manaphy Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 140-166 (38.4 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    +3 252 SpA Manaphy Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 350-412 (96.1 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Manaphy: 258-306 (75.6 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Given it outspeeds Mega Venusaur, it can Tail Glow on the switch and easily obliterate it. Although of course, given it has to give up either Ice Beam or Energy Ball to carry Psychic, its checks/counters change somewhat based on its set.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    252 SpA Manaphy Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 140-166 (38.4 - 45.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    +3 252 SpA Manaphy Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 350-412 (96.1 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Manaphy: 258-306 (75.6 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Given it outspeeds Mega Venusaur, it can Tail Glow on the switch and easily obliterate it. Although of course, given it has to give up either Ice Beam or Energy Ball to carry Psychic, its checks/counters change somewhat based on its set.
    On my new team that I've been laddering with, I run with Manaphy simply because of that. I've been able to lure in Megasaur a few times and annihilate Megasaur with a boosted Psychic. Doing so allows me to tear apart the opposing team with Megachomp, as Megasaur is one of the few things that can wall him. Granted, I don't get energy Ball, but Quagsire is really the only thing I lose out on, so I'm not too worried about that since he's handled by the rest of the team.

I kinda like running Manaphy alongside Greninja as sort lure + sweeper combination. While they may seem redundant, so many teams nowadays rely on only one or two Water resists to take on Pokemon like these, so they can work together muscle through their shared checks. The lure portion of this combination is usually in the form of either Psychic on Manaphy or Extrasensory on Greninja. A lot of defensive teams (and even some bulkier offensive ones) heavily rely on Mega Venusaur to take on offensive Water types, and having a way to pulverize it with one Pokemon so that the other can tear the team apart is fantastic. Either of these also make good partners for Keldeo as well, who really appreciates Mega Venusaur being gone so that it can free up its Hidden Power type for something else. Alternatively, you can just run HP Flying on Keldeo to lure and KO Mega Venusaur and free up Psychic/Extrasensory on Manaphy/Greninja, which works as well. The stacked weaknesses and somewhat redundant coverage are things that you'll have to remedy with solid teambuilding, but you'd be surprised how well this works against some teams.

Limited rain has really dented this little cutie.

Hydration won't work without Rain support and it doesn't have any recovery other than Rest. Tail Glow and Calm Mind are both great set up moves for it, but with 100 Base Speed, sweeping gets troublesome for it, especially compared to the hard-hitting and fast action style of current OU.

Also, Rotom-Wash, the #1 OU walls it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by I Like Pie! View Post
    Limited rain has really dented this little cutie.

Hydration won't work without Rain support and it doesn't have any recovery other than Rest. Tail Glow and Calm Mind are both great set up moves for it, but with 100 Base Speed, sweeping gets troublesome for it, especially compared to the hard-hitting and fast action style of current OU.

Also, Rotom-Wash, the #1 OU walls it completely.
    lol energy ball

Manaphy is one of the best wallbreakers and sweepers in the game right now. After a single boost, it 2HKOs almost the entirety of the metagame. Yes, a lot of common Pokemon in the metagame beat it, but the beauty of Manpahy is that non-HO teams tend to only carry one way of beating it. Forcing them to preserve that threat in order to prevent a Manaphy sweep (a number of these "counters" can be stopped with the correct move, such as mega venu and conkeldurr with psychic) makes them play a defensive game, allowing you to take momentum and potentially sweep with something else.

It's A+ on the viability ranks for a reason.

You know, Galvantula is probably one of the best teammates out there for Manaphy. Speaking from experience, Sticky Web support allows her to demolish entire teams once she's set up. Her natural bulk allows her to eat up weaker neutral hits, and laugh at anything that's resisted unless it comes from Azumarill. Great coverage is, in my opinion, what allows her to earn the A+ rank. Being able to hit opposing water types, dragons, and even conk/Megasaur is something that not many Pokémon can claim.

There are reasons why I use her on my team, and I've pretty much explained them right here.