Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Creative/Underrated Sets - No Terrible Gimmicks

Well i tried cb reckless staraptor 20 times, and man he does hit hard, tough he is also a magnet for aegislash klefki and mawile, so i recomend to use him with a sub user\priority abuser. Well thats judging from my own expertice wich is relatively low.

Am i the only one seeing a rise in subdisable gengar went against 3 while giving a test drive to staraptor?

If anyone wants a reckless starly i think i still got some 3-4iv left after breeding, just saying.
    Who said moe cant be Gar?

Fc Ixchen: 0559-7194-5664
    Poison safari : Muk Cascoon Venomoth

Looking for contrary snivy and adaptability skrelp, they can be traded now XD

I HATE the Hoenn region and its winguls with a passion that can burn steel beams. But i love move tutors, Lets see how this goes...

Due to the increase in activity, i have revised the thread. Be sure to read the new rules on the op or here

Spoiler:- rules:

This might sound rather gimmicky, but no that you mention landorus. Has anyone actually considered him as a gravity user, i mean the only 2 decent gravity users i have found are specially defensive bronzong and this guy.

Landorus
    Adamant
    leftovers
    80hp 252atk 176 speed
    earthquake
    uturn
    knock off
    gravity

I know it sounds gimmicky as hell but the flying drop has been huge for me in this generation, as well as knock off access with a relatively good speed to boost it. I was using this set on the past gen to lure skarmory, but on this new gen with flying types and rotom running around this guy seems more viable.
    Last edited by Disaster_Lord; 25th February 2014 at 11:23 PM.

I HATE the Hoenn region and its winguls with a passion that can burn steel beams. But i love move tutors, Lets see how this goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Disaster_Lord View Post
    This might sound rather gimmicky, but no that you mention landorus. Has anyone actually considered him as a gravity user, i mean the only 2 decent gravity users i have found are specially defensive bronzong and this guy.

Landorus
    Adamant
    leftovers
    80hp 252atk 176 speed
    earthquake
    uturn
    knock off
    gravity

I know it sounds gimmicky as hell but the flying drop has been huge for me in this generation, as well as knock off access with a relatively good speed to boost it. I was using this set on the past gen to lure skarmory, but on this new gen with flying types and rotom running around this guy seems more viable.
    Which Landorus form are you using? For physical roles like this, Landorus-T is strictly better, while Landorus-I excels with Life Orb'd special Gravity sets.

I've seen a number of Gravity Landoruses, and they are surprisingly good, so this isn't as crappy as you might think.

sadly im a console player so i only got 3 landorus to work with, all are physical, hance the use of therian. I would love to try a rash incarnate one with acces to knock off and earth power tough.

Im glad to see im not the only one who tought of this guy. any speed treeshold they are particulary fond of using?

Underrated? Intimidate Staraptor.

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Double-Edge
    - Brave Bird
    - U-turn
    - Close Combat

I posted this in the Team Building competition, and paired with another Intimidator (Like Lando), he is able to cripple many physical threats just by switching in. U-Turn allows you to keep momentum, such as when youre able to predict the obvious switch on a -1 Conkeldurr (And most nonboosted physical attackers). Reckless has more power, sure, but Intimidate has more team support.

Just make sure you have something for Rocks. They hurt.
    Last edited by Cloneblazer12; 26th February 2014 at 12:47 AM.

Underrated: Hydration Goodra
    This thing man. This. Thing. Holding a Damp Rock and RD, it sponges status like it's nobody's business. Oh, it gets Sludge Wave/Bomb and Thunder alongside Dragon Pulse. Remember when Mega Mawile thought it could freely switch in on you? Thunder is perfect cover for those Pokemon who try and hassle you, expecting a Fire move. I'll concede it doesn't take Physical as well, but I love using it as a status sponge. With Rain up, that's 8 free turns of taking Status. Oh, you can switch Sludge Bomb for Rest too. It's a fantastically underrated combo for when people expect Gooey.

Gooey tho seems far superior as you have to give up leftovers or the assault vest and 2 attacks so you can heal as well as become very dependent on the rain. It just seems to me to need to much work to be a special sponge like that when you could just use Latias who has more physical bulk, speed, access to recover so you can use the other slot as an attack or support move like defog or healing wish. Chansey also is superior with its access to wish and softboiled and better special bulk, tho it has worse phsyical. Overall I feel its generally outclassed or overshadowed by Goodras assault vest set which sets it apart as a special pivot.

Assault Vest is situational, and frankly pointless on Goodra. Goodra is a solid basis for a Rain-based team with Hydration, where Gooey is nice for every other set.

I fail to see how you get that the assault vest is situation as it just lets you sponge special attacks better making it more effective making it superior as a special defensive pivot like landorus therian for physical attacks through intimidate. Goodra is one of the best users of an assault vest as it has no real support movepool, only rest really.

Goodra already has so much Special Defence that boosting it further is overkill and a waste of a moveslot, in my opinion. I'm not saying that Damp Rock RD Hydration Goodra > Assault Vest Goodra all the time, but I've found it very useful. Whatever works for people is cool.

I like see if this will make it
    Infernape
    Hasty
    Life orb
    252attack
    4sp attack
    252speed
    Mach punch
    Close combat
    Flamethrower
    U turn

I think the ape is a underrated poke even though it is ou because of the manny walls that can counter it now plus with its move pool and speed it can make dents in people's teams

My next one is
    Jirachi just because of the many special walls we have and his ability
    Choice scarf was used in 5th gen and
    Or this set
    With fire punch body slam iron head substitute it can also be a Sr user calm mind user or a wish passer that you don't see a lot of. Please comment if I am wrong I might had read the rules wrong

http://xat.com/VenenoOsicurdad
    come here and well Idk

I'd run fire blast>flamethrower for power. Infernape struggles, mostly with the set you gave, with fairy walls like sylveon. You can run gunk shot over mach punch to hit them hard and make infernape a better wallbreaker, tho I feel it still has a lot of competition with Kyurem Black, who can break rotom wash easier while mixed mega garchomp also gives it competition for the same reasons as well as break zapdos easier. Honestly Infernape will truly shine if it falls into UU as atm it has competition with Kyurem Black, Mega Garchomp [mixed], and Aegislash

Goodra is primarily a special tank that should be avoiding physical hits as much as possible. That said, the Assault Vest easily compensates for the lack of Leftovers when taking hits from the special side and allows 252/4 Goodra to do things like survive the 2HKO from LO Greninja's Ice Beam from full health while also reducing Mega Charizard Y's Dragon Pulse to a measly 4HKO, both of which it would be unable to do otherwise. If you want to run a HydraRest set, I've found that it's much more effective to just pair it up with Politoed (who Goodra synergizes with nicely). This helps free up an extra moveslot since you no longer need Rain Dance, and more importantly, you can hold Leftovers. It takes a bit of forward thinking to successfully utilize Politoed's Drizzle with Goodra's HydraRest, but you get the hang of it over time.

Nobody apreciates sap siper on goodra, I must say that gooey is amazing but gaining a switch in imunity to spore or lech seed sells it for me, outside of buying me a turn gooey never did a lot for my team, well bar giving competitive boost to a milotic(worst case scenario that actually hapened).

Anyone uses mixed goodra with sap siper or am i the only one.

Oh I use sap sipper Goodra! Mostly because it is my first ever shiny and that's its ability. But it is also good for gaining more health in rotation battles! Makes a good bulky team member.
    Has left Serebii forums.

sap sipper is decently common with av goodra but not side that i believe

Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
    Ability: Trace
    EVs: 8 HP / 248 Def / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Calm Mind
    - Hyper Voice

Mega Gardevoir has one of the strongest attacks in the game, Pixilate Hyper Voice. People have tried many different sets for Mega Gardevoir, such as all out attacker, CM + 3 Atks, and even Defensive with Will-O-Wisp.

This set is different. Thanks to Mega Gardevoir's decent speed, insane power, and insane Special Defense, it can sweep unprepared teams. RestTalk Mega Gardevoir can take out anything that isn't a Steel type. Gardevoir can set up on Rotom-W, Conkeldurr, Blissey/Chansey, Mandibuzz, Goodra, Clefable, Deoxys-S, Black Kyurem, Latios/Latias, and more. It can absorb a status and then Rest off the status and damage it received, and then proceed to set up Calm Minds or smash whatever is in with a Hyper Voice.

It's quite gimmicky and requires a lot of support, needing teammates that can handle Heatran, Excadrill, Aegislash, Bisharp, and Scizor is a lot to ask for, but it's not impossible.

Spoiler:- Things Gardevoir can tank well and set up on:

Spoiler:- Things Gardevoir can survive and then OHKO in return:

Threats to this set:

Steel Types
    Any Steel type gives this set troubles.

Mega Pinsir
    Pinsir can't switch in safely, but, once Mega Evolved, can reliably force Gardevoir out or kill it. 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 8 HP / 248 Def Mega Gardevoir: 256-303 (91.7 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Mega Tyranitar
    Tyranitar survives a +1 Hyper Voice in Sand, is able to set up a Dragon Dance, and then kill with Stone Edge. It can not switch in without getting 2HKO'd, though.

Mega Venusaur
    Can tank a +4 Hyper Voice, can stall out with Sludge Bomb + Leech Seed + Synthesis, and has a 75% to OHKO with a crit Sludge Bomb.

Gengar
    LO Sludge Bomb OHKOs Mega Gardevoir at +0, and 2HKOs at +1 and +2. Mega Gardevoir needs to be at +2 to have a 62.5% to OHKO Gengar.

Possible Teammates
    Last edited by The DragonKnight; 26th March 2014 at 8:30 PM.

Since Gardevoir gets Wish, wouldn't Wish+Protect be better? You don't have to rely on Sleep Talk, which is shaky at best. The spread seems fine, but I think that having reliable recovery is better than having to deal with possibly doing nothing for two turns straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
    Since Gardevoir gets Wish, wouldn't Wish+Protect be better? You don't have to rely on Sleep Talk, which is shaky at best. The spread seems fine, but I think that having reliable recovery is better than having to deal with possibly doing nothing for two turns straight.
    With RestTalk, you recover all of your HP at once and statuses don't ruin you.

With Wish + Protect, you spend one turn using Wish and one using Protect. With RestTalk, you spend one turn using Rest and possibly another while asleep using Rest again via Sleep Talk.

It's a good set, but I really feel that Heatran should be on that list of teammates. No Steel type would appreciate Lava Plume, and Talonflame (SD sets set up on it; CB just rips through it) can't catch a Stone Edge. It is also good at bringing in things like Garchomp, which as your calcs show, is handily KOd.

However, Excadrill rips through this quickly, so something to counter that would be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by woebegonenick View Post
    I like see if this will make it
    Infernape
    Hasty
    Life orb
    252attack
    4sp attack
    252speed
    Mach punch
    Close combat
    Flamethrower
    U turn

I think the ape is a underrated poke even though it is ou because of the manny walls that can counter it now plus with its move pool and speed it can make dents in people's teams
    That's not really what I'd consider an under-rated moveset: it's the bog-standard Infernape in the meta-game, except with Flamethrower instead of Overheat, and Mach Punch over Fake Out. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, as I use one myself on my latest team (with Naive instead of hasty - thanks weather nerf - and Overheat over F.Thrower). That said, I go with Focus Sash over Life Orb and use mine as an anti-lead annihilator - Infernape is a glass cannon and won't be staying out long enough to utilise Life Orb to its full potential, especially with no defenses or HPs invested with the EV spread.

Simply Fake Out any Entry Hazard user and then Overheat if applicable. Otherwise U-Turn out and return late in the game to clean up.
    Last edited by turtwigging_out; 27th March 2014 at 1:08 AM. Reason: typos
    Friend Safari contacts needed - feel free to PM me your friend code and add me!
    Friend Code: 4312-9982-2135
    Friend Safari - Water: Krabby//Quagsire//Frogadier

I'm actually thinking mixed talonflame could be useful, a set like this for instance:

Talonflame @ Life Orb (Gale Wings)
    Rash, 252Attack/32SpAtk/226Speed
    -HP Ice
    -Flamethrower
    -Flare Blitz/U-turn
    -Brave Bird

Given EV's allow you to 2HKO gliscor, and the given moveset allows you to counter a wider range of pokemon (notably aegis, who would otherwise make it useless with king's shield).
    ~Currently own: X and Y (4597-0364-2569), current 6th gen OU record: 199W/44L/6D-, UU record: 31W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, RU supporter, and steam enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by Mye View Post
    I'm actually thinking mixed talonflame could be useful, a set like this for instance:

Talonflame @ Life Orb (Gale Wings)
    Rash, 252Attack/32SpAtk/226Speed
    -HP Ice
    -Flamethrower
    -Flare Blitz/U-turn
    -Brave Bird

Given EV's allow you to 2HKO gliscor, and the given moveset allows you to counter a wider range of pokemon (notably aegis, who would otherwise make it useless with king's shield).
    Why 226 Speed EVs though? Being at 344 speed isn't exactly a very noteworthy speed tier. It falls short of outspeeding base 108's, and is a little overkill for base 105's, especially since most noteworthy ones (Mega Pinsir, Mienshao, Zoroark, etc.) are 1HKO'd by priority Brave Bird anyway. 164 Speed EVs is the standard for outspeeding base 100's, and 208 will outspeed base 105's. 220 will outspeed base 106's, but considering the only one is Liepard, who is not used anywhere near enough to even be considered, you wouldn't really want to go that far. Of course, a full 252 has the benefit of outspeeding base 110's, but most of them are hit hardest by priority Brave Bird (Gengar, Latios, Latios, Espeon, etc.).

Although my biggest gripe with mixed Talonflame would be that, unlike things like mixed Aegislash or Physical Greninja, it is still countered by the exact same Pokemon. Tyranitar, Rotom-W, some Heatran, and virtually every other Rock type in existence still stop it cold, so the surprise value is sort of undermined, unlike surprises like Will-o-Wisp which can outright screw its counters (Tyranitar hates the attack drop, Rotom-W doesn't want the consistent damage).
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Mixed Talonflame isn't too bad. With Fire Blast and the right Hidden Power, it could take on some stuff that it would normally have trouble with. I'd personally probably use a set like this:

Talonflame @ Life Orb
    Trait: Gale Wings
    EVs: 136 Atk / 164 SAtk / 208 Spd
    Rash Nature
    -Brave Bird
    -U-turn
    -Fire Blast
    -Hidden Power [Ground]

This set does a pretty decent job of luring in and heavily damaging or KOing some of Talonflame's best counters/checks. With the given SpA EVs, Talonflame is guaranteed to 2HKO 252/4 Hippowdon 100% of the time with Fire Blast after Stealth Rock, while also 2HKOing Gliscor, Landorus-T, and 252/0 Aegislash (who isn't exactly a Talonflame counter, but at least this set can avoid King's Shield). Meanwhile, HP Ground is a guaranteed 3HKO against specially defensive Heatran and a small chance for a 2HKO after Stealth Rock, while other sets are cleanly 2HKOed. You could run max SpA to almost guarantee that specially defensive Heatran will be 2HKOed after Stealth Rock, but seeing as how priority Brave Bird is Talonflame's forte, I prefer to maintain as much physical power as possible.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast