Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 628

Thread: The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Where all are equal
    Posts
    1,989

    Default The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

    Okay so as many of you may know, Kalos only gave us 69 new pokemon, and personally im not to crazy about it, to me it feels like gen 6 so far is really feeling like its the gen to get all the genwunners back, "oh look 2 mega charizards" and it feels like kalos is suffering for it.

    But hey maybe im wrong, what do you guys think.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Well, I had the same surprise. Kalos has only 69 pokémon and, for me, it's not a great numbers. The mega-evolutions are cool, but it's not an excuse for the low number of new pokémon... But Pokémon X and Y are complete now and it can't be changed.

    Well, the pokémon of this region are interesting and some of them are strong. My final word for Kalos is: "Good, but it can be better".

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    77

    Default

    For me, I got all excited for various reasons and was thinking we might get 200 new Pokémon this time around, then, I found out only 69 new Pokémon +3 secret ones so 72 Pokémon total. I felt like we only got a half gen tbh or like B/W got some of 6 gen or more so that the devs thought we got more than enough last gen so they could reduce the number and be lazy about it. :P Even the mega evos don't really count in the pokedex even if there are 3-34 including the 2 secret ones. I DO feel as though the lack of new Pokémon, as well as lack of stuff to do aside from "catch em all" after you beat the game was a let down, an act of laziness and a disappointment. I can only hope the next "region" and "gen" will be much better. That said, at least X/Y gave us the most touching and imo maybe best story ever. (Along with many other awesome stuff) Also, the below I couldn't agree more with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Azer View Post
    My final word for Kalos is: "Good, but it can be better".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Macclesfield, UK
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclair~ View Post
    For me, I got all excited for various reasons and was thinking we might get 200 new Pokémon this time around, then, I found out only 69 new Pokémon +3 secret ones so 72 Pokémon total. I felt like we only got a half gen tbh or like B/W got some of 6 gen or more so that the devs thought we got more than enough last gen so they could reduce the number and be lazy about it. :P Even the mega evos don't really count in the pokedex even if there are 3-34 including the 2 secret ones. I DO feel as though the lack of new Pokémon, as well as lack of stuff to do aside from "catch em all" after you beat the game was a let down, an act of laziness and a disappointment. I can only hope the next "region" and "gen" will be much better. That said, at least X/Y gave us the most touching and imo maybe best story ever. (Along with many other awesome stuff) Also, the below I couldn't agree more with.
    I'm in disagreement with everything you've said lol. Not being nasty and you're entitled to you opinion but I just don't agree.

    You said that the developers got lazy or stole ideas for Pokemon from Gen VI to put in Gen V? I'll say it again: CONKELDURR. Lol. Gen V had some of the most hideous and overcomplicated designs of the entire franchise. I mean, I'm sorry to any Unova Starter fans out there, but Serperior and Samurott are by far the WORST looking Starters we've ever received, and they're sorta ambassadors for the Generation. Not good.

    Gen VI's Pokemon had pretty nice looking, original designs. Even Pokemon that people don't really like such as Klefki weren't half as bad as most of the Pokemon from the Unova Region. Like I said, Gen VI was quality over quantity.

    I actually agree somewhat to when you said there was no post game content to really speak of, other than going online battling and stuff, which is REALLY FUN! I think that when we inevitably get Pokemon Z there will be a Battle Frontier-type thing to keep us occupied for a bit longer. But I do know what you mean. If you're not really into competitive battling and stuff I can see that you'd get bored of the game once completing the main story quest.

    I've explained my slight dislike for Gen V, but there's one thing I did like with BW/B2W2. That was the story. It just had so much scope. It was pretty epic, and I felt myself questioning Team Plasma, like, they could have actually been onto something. Battling Pokemon is somewhat cruel if you think about it. I don't feel X&Y's storyline lived up to the past game's storyline. Yeah, it had the potential to be absolutely terrifying as well as touching. Team Flare's objective to cause the apocalypse is a terrifying prospect, but it wasn't really realised until the very end of the game.

    The story with AZ and his lost Floette was touching at the end, but he was introduced at the last second of the story. How many times did we see him throughout our adventure before the final climax? Once? Twice? If they had explained the lore about this king fella a little better and introduced him sooner then we would have gave more of a crap. There was no build-up to the reward of him being reunited with his friend so it just didn't have the impact if should have had. Overall the story felt a little tacked-on.

    Then there's Mega Evolution. Love the game mechanic but hated the story element to it. It was brought to us as some massive mystery and the sole purpose for us going out on our Pokemon journey. The whole thing was solved about a third of the way through the game and after that the story completely lost momentum.

    But don't get me wrong, the story is my only complaint about X&Y.

    Getting really off topic as we are meant to be talking about the Kalos Pokedex, so I'll reiterate; quality over quantity.
    Last edited by cagedWINGS; 13th February 2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Proud Poison-type Club member!

    "Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"


    LOOKING FOR A DITTO FRIEND SAFARI. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE, THANKS!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cagedWINGS View Post
    I'm in disagreement with everything you've said lol. Not being nasty and you're entitled to you opinion but I just don't agree.

    You said that the developers got lazy or stole ideas for Pokemon from Gen VI to put in Gen V? I'll say it again: CONKELDURR. Lol. Gen V had some of the most hideous and overcomplicated designs of the entire franchise. I mean, I'm sorry to any Unova Starter fans out there, but Serperior and Samurott are by far the WORST looking Starters we've ever received, and they're sorta ambassadors for the Generation. Not good.
    What I gathered when the starters were first released was that Chesnaught was the bland one, Delphox was the ugly one, and Greninja was the one which people went "Is that its tongue?". The hidden abilities boosted the popularity of Greninja, but that's about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by cagedWINGS View Post
    Gen VI's Pokemon had pretty nice looking, original designs. Even Pokemon that people don't really like such as Klefki weren't half as bad as most of the Pokemon from the Unova Region. Like I said, Gen VI was quality over quantity.
    That's probably because you don't have to go through the entire story mode with only the new Pokemon. The only generations we had so far that requires us to use only new Pokemon are Gen I and V. For every other generation, you always have some of your favorite Pokemon to fall back on to fill up any team slots. When you can only focus on new Pokemon to build a team, flaws become more apparent and people are more outspoken about it.

    Even if you dislike a couple of Gen V's Pokemon design, I highly doubt that you can list enough (which is 84 of them) for Gen VI to have more likeable Pokemon, assuming you like every single one of Gen VI's. And when it comes to typing, I can easily get more options for any single type I'm looking for in Gen V than in Gen VI, other than Fairy (for obvious reasons), and maybe Dragon, since Gen VI managed to squeeze five families out of 72 new pokes.
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 13th February 2014 at 3:02 PM.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Macclesfield, UK
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    What I gathered when the starters were first released was that Chesnaught was the bland one, Delphox was the ugly one, and Greninja was the one which people went "Is that its tongue?". The hidden abilities boosted the popularity of Greninja, but that's about it.
    I kinda liked Chesnaut and Greninja. I took Chespin as my starter this Generation, but that was partially due to having a tradition of always picking a Grass-type starter during my first play throughs, though I do really love Chespin and his evolutions, even the odd and spherical Quilladin. Maybe that's why I had such a problem with Serperior. Its okay, but nothing to write home about really. Tepig is probably my favourite Gen V Starter because Pignite is the bloody cutest Pokemon EVOOOR! But alas, Fire/Fighting Starter syndrome..

    I wasn't 'Team Delphox' when the Kalos Starters were released. I don't hate her but she is not one of my favourites by a long stretch. Her typing is good though. Its nice having a Fire/Psychic-type that's not an event legendary or some mode for another Pokemon that's at 50% health.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    That's probably because you don't have to go through the entire story mode with only the new Pokemon. The only generations we had so far that requires us to use only new Pokemon are Gen I and V. For every other generation, you always have some of your favorite Pokemon to fall back on to fill up any team slots. When you can only focus on new Pokemon to build a team, flaws become more apparent and people are more outspoken about it.
    It was good seeing some of the old Pokemon return. But I meant the completely new Pokemon that are unique to the Kalos Region. My team consisted of four new Kalos Pokemon. I definitely didn't fall back and rely on old favourites. Those two slots could have been filled by Kalos exclusives but its hard to say no to a Squirtle and Mega Stone when its just handed to you . The other slot belonged to Krookodile, which kids ironic since I'm being viewed as this massive Unova hater right about now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    Even if you dislike a couple of Gen V's Pokemon design, I highly doubt that you can list enough (which is 84 of them) for Gen VI to have more likeable Pokemon, assuming you like every single one of Gen VI's. And when it comes to typing, I can easily get more options for any single type I'm looking for in Gen V than in Gen VI, other than Fairy (for obvious reasons), and maybe Dragon, since Gen VI managed to squeeze five families out of 72 new pokes.
    There are barely any Pokemon in Gen VI that I can say I truly hate. I don't really rate Delphox though I like her typing, and, hm, trying to think of more, I'm not a big fan of Mega Garchomp to be honest?

    Its not that I hate the whole of the Unova Pokedex lol, I think you've got the wrong impression. Yeah there were some Pokemon that I really really didn't like in Gen V, like the previously mentioned Conkeldurr, but that goes for every generation to date, even Gen VI (Delphox, remember?).
    Proud Poison-type Club member!

    "Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"


    LOOKING FOR A DITTO FRIEND SAFARI. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE, THANKS!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cagedWINGS View Post
    I'm a massive Poison-type fan yeah? In Unova we got three Poison-type lines. We got a Poison/Grass (Vileploom copy), Poison/Bug (complete rip off of Drapion's design) and a mono Poison (pff, Koffing will be the only one of those for me). Snore. I've seen it all before. What did we get in Kalos? Just one Poison-type evolution line, but the end result was a freaking POISON DRAGON SEAHORSE THING!!
    That's just one type. You're completely overlooking the Unova Pokemon that brought type combos we have never seen before like the Sandile line (Ground/Dark), Scraggy line (Dark/Fighting), Ferroseed line (Grass/Steel), Gollet line (Ground/Ghost). And that's not all of them either.

    And how is Scolipede a rip off of Drapion? Just because they're both purple? One's a centipede, the other's a scorpion.

    Quote Originally Posted by cagedWINGS View Post
    Gen VI's Pokemon had pretty nice looking, original designs. Even Pokemon that people don't really like such as Klefki weren't half as bad as most of the Pokemon from the Unova Region. Like I said, Gen VI was quality over quantity.

    ...

    Getting really off topic as we are meant to be talking about the Kalos Pokedex, so I'll reiterate; quality over quantity.
    I don't agree with the old "quality over quantity" saying when it comes to Pokemon designs. It's a matter taste. Gen. 4 also has less Pokemon than Gen. 5, but it got a lot of hate, mainly for introducing so many pre-evos and evolved forms of existing Pokemon, to the point of some saying they "ruined" the original Pokemon. Not to mention the people saying Game Freak was "running out of ideas" and being "unoriginal" because of it. But I don't agree with that either. Gen. 4 introduced one of my most favorite Pokemon, Weavile.
    Last edited by SKyLineR32; 13th February 2014 at 3:57 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Where Life Starts and End
    Posts
    1,845

    Default

    What? I don't understand you guys and lads. When we have 150 pokémon, "how there are too much!", when we have less than 100, "What? Low number of pokémon, this is bad, bad!". And c'mon, you guys, if they've given to us other, non-popular pokémon, I doubt it'd be any good.

    But sincerely, I loved the idea to have less pokémon. Really, almost all of Kalos pokémon are great. If not all. And the design style is better than before, as I think they had more time to work on them. They can continue like that if they want, I would love.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Kanto/Johto
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akanjăo View Post
    What? I don't understand you guys and lads. When we have 150 pokémon, "how there are too much!", when we have less than 100, "What? Low number of pokémon, this is bad, bad!". And c'mon, you guys, if they've given to us other, non-popular pokémon, I doubt it'd be any good.

    But sincerely, I loved the idea to have less pokémon. Really, almost all of Kalos pokémon are great. If not all. And the design style is better than before, as I think they had more time to work on them. They can continue like that if they want, I would love.
    I have to agree with Akanjao here. The Black and White series brought too many new pokemon and people were upset. Now the XY series brings less people are still upset. If they gave us too many pokemon they would have run out of ideas honestly. Does Vanillite, Kling Klang and Scrafty ring a bell. All three of these Pokemon look like little design went into them and before you dare say "Muk has a bad design too and so does Electrode!" Those are two pokemon in the kanto region. I can name you over 10 pokemon like Garbador, and Bibarel (Brought into DP) that were bad. I am just saying, the more pokemon, the less intelligent the design is going to be.
    All credit for this banner goes to Red's Mount Silver Art Shop at Bulbagarden

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    688

    Default

    The quantity of new Pokemon follows the previous trend where even numbered generations have fewer new Pokemon but more evolutions for old Pokemon, except this time round they're called Mega evolutions, and functions more like formes than evolutions.

    As for quantity and quality, I don't agree that having more Pokemon means that the overall quality must suffer. So yes, Black and White gave us 156 new Pokemon and you might dislike a couple of them. But that doesn't mean that the design on average becomes worse off, since each Pokemon concept is supposed to be viewed individually. Or at least that's how I look at them.
    On the whole, there's easily more Pokemon that I like from BW compared to XY purely due to the sheer number to choose from. I don't even like many of XY's designs just because there's fewer of them.

    Generally, I would think that most people prefer more Pokemon, if each and every single one of them fits their idea of 'good design'. Of course, that's never going to happen, so some people on hindsight wished that there were fewer Pokemon, or that those they didn't like never existed to begin with.

    And honestly, I think some of you are confusing bad designs with simple designs. Grimer, Muk and Ditto are simple designs based off a very simple concept: slime. It's a cliche idea, but it works. As far as game characters are concerned, they look pretty standard to me, and any further additions to make them more 'complex' and 'creative' would have been uncalled for. Voltorb and Electrode are based on the simple motif of Pokeballs. Was it a bad idea to base a Pokemon off that? Maybe. But it still doesn't mean that simple = bad.
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 19th January 2014 at 7:33 PM.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ((JAWS)) View Post
    I have to agree with Akanjao here. The Black and White series brought too many new pokemon and people were upset. Now the XY series brings less people are still upset. If they gave us too many pokemon they would have run out of ideas honestly. Does Vanillite, Kling Klang and Scrafty ring a bell. All three of these Pokemon look like little design went into them and before you dare say "Muk has a bad design too and so does Electrode!" Those are two pokemon in the kanto region. I can name you over 10 pokemon like Garbador, and Bibarel (Brought into DP) that were bad. I am just saying, the more pokemon, the less intelligent the design is going to be.
    No they don't ring a bell, because last I checked neither of those were uncreative designs nor fit the whole "running out of ideas" shtick people keep throwing around. As for the second point, Hidden Power said it best, having more did not mean that the overall quality in Unova (or Kanto for that matter, which is the most beloved set of Pokémon) suffered nor that by having less Kalos was overall better, there were just more options in the former group then there were in the latter.

    Anyway, I'll admit that I'm disappointed in the lower number because I like seeing the new Pokémon and what new ideas GF brings to the table, plus it's always fun for me to use those new Pokémon in a new playthrough in a new region and the limited number kind of hurt that (the aforementioned poor type distribution also didn't help). Having said that, I can understand why there weren't so many considering all of the models, updates, and other features that GF had to work with when making this game so I can't hold the low number against them that much.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 19th January 2014 at 7:50 PM.


    It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    That way
    Posts
    6,775

    Default

    I loved having a lot of new Pokémon every generation but before Gen VI, we had 649 Pokémon. With this number we don't need a ton of Pokémon every generation since new ideas can be saved for later generations without cramming them all into one. Kalos may have only brought 72 new Pokémon but a lot of them had new type combinations/extra stuff into them like Aegislash's Stance Change ability, Furfrou's trims, Meowstic and Pyroar's gender differences, Noibat & Noivern having Flying as the first primary type in a typing, Dragalge, etc.

    That said, I like a lot of new Kalos Pokémon because of how fresh they feel to me with their quality. However I still prefer the Unova Pokémon because of all the cool concepts they made (Vanillite line being icicles + Ice cream, the Klink line's achievement of not showing a big difference as Klink evolves, and the homage they paid to Gen I which personally I thought they excelled at).

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    786

    Thumbs down

    Introducing only 69 Pokemons was a huge mistake done by GF. It's clear that the ammount is so low because of the Mega-Evolutions, which are 28 on total. So, if you consider the total, they designed 97 monsters in the end. I would sacrifice all these Mega-Evolutions for new species or Pokemons that were related to the previous generations.

    If they wanted a nostalgic feel in the game, they could make previous Pokemons available on routes, create pre-evo and evolution for ancient Pokemons. It is a standard that works and we all love it. I got very disappointed when I saw Kalos Pokedex and noticed that Sylveon was the only Kalos' Pokemon related to a Pokemon from a previous Gen. I accepted that in Unova because that region was said to be very far from the others, but again in Kalos?

    Another problem on having introduced so few Pokemons is that the Pokedex become limited and unbalanced. You lack options to make a good team, so GF is forced to make Pokemons of other regions available in the routes. By introducing the fairy type, they should have worried a lot on type diversity, so we would have more ways to interact the types and get used to the type chart. But what does GF do? They introduce Mega-Evolutions, which mostly deal with stats and abilities.

    I'm surprised we had only 1 eeveelution this generation. Considering Eevee had gained 2 evolutions all the time he gained and their types interact somehow, after they announced that Sylveon was fairy type and fairy was in advantage against dragon, I really wanted that there was going to have a dragon type eevelution in this generation. But no, there wasn't. The designers wasted their time on making badass-forms for previous Pokemons instead creating new ones.

    In short, Gen VI doesn't have the essense of previous Gens. Beware of next generations, chances are high we'll have around new 60 Pokemons and around 25 Mega Evolutions because they started to lack ideas to create new stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by ((JAWS)) View Post
    If they gave us too many pokemon they would have run out of ideas honestly.
    This is not true. By having many Pokemons doesn't mean that they'll suck.

    Quote Originally Posted by ((JAWS)) View Post
    I am just saying, the more pokemon, the less intelligent the design is going to be.
    Again another non-sense argument. Quaility doesn't depend on quantity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    And honestly, I think some of you are confusing bad designs with simple designs. Grimer, Muk and Ditto are simple designs based off a very simple concept: slime. It's a cliche idea, but it works.
    Yes, Hidden Power, they're confusing. 75% of users in here are kids, so they're not mature enough for discussions.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    I'm surprised we had only 1 eeveelution this generation. Considering Eevee had gained 2 evolutions all the time he gained and their types interact somehow, after they announced that Sylveon was fairy type and fairy was in advantage against dragon, I really wanted that there was going to have a dragon type eevelution in this generation. But no, there wasn't. The designers wasted their time on making badass-forms for previous Pokemons instead creating new ones.
    I will admit, I was also surprised there was only one new Eeveelution but I understand why it was like that. The focus was to promote the new Fairy type as well as Pokémon Amie, just like the stones of Gen I, day/night in Gen 2 and the location-based mechanics in Gen 4.

    It would have been cool to have another Eeveelution (especially a Dragon type) but the only other type I could see would probably be Fighting considering it could promote the Super Training function (I guess Eevee hits the bag a lot and levels up after learning a fighting move to mirror the method?).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    168

    Default

    The 6th generation introduced 2 Ice types, 4 Rock types (one shared with Ice), 2 Ground types (one being Legendary), and 2 Steel types.
    As far as my favorite types go the new ones were lacking overall.

    Compared to older generations we simply got less Pokemon this time around, and we still have yet to get a Fire/Rock Fossil Pokemon (I'v been wating since gen 3 for it). Everyone has their favorites, some have better generations than others. Lets just be happy that the number of Pokemon avilable with the 3 Pokedex idea was high enough to make the lack of new Pokemon less noticable.
    Mainly on from 12a EST to 6a EST. Please don't VM me, I rarely check them.

    At 85/100 friends, so I'm being a little more selective of the safaris I add. Usually this amounts to me asking what your 3DS ID name is.
    I have access to all starters from all generations, HA for only gen 1 and 6. Send a PM if there's one you want.

    My 3DS ID is 1306-6462-3876
    In game name X-Jacob Y-Sam
    Safari: Growlithe - Charmelion - Braixen

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Papua New Guinea
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ((JAWS)) View Post
    I have to agree with Akanjao here. The Black and White series brought too many new pokemon and people were upset. Now the XY series brings less people are still upset. If they gave us too many pokemon they would have run out of ideas honestly. Does Vanillite, Kling Klang and Scrafty ring a bell. All three of these Pokemon look like little design went into them and before you dare say "Muk has a bad design too and so does Electrode!" Those are two pokemon in the kanto region. I can name you over 10 pokemon like Garbador, and Bibarel (Brought into DP) that were bad. I am just saying, the more pokemon, the less intelligent the design is going to be.
    But beuaty is in the eye of the beholder O-o I actually think vanilite and klink lines were well designed, actually vanilite was really creative in general. Some people enjoy things like that! There are also those who can't stand pokemon like blaziken, and charizard.. having alot of pokemon just means that there's something for everybody :P
        Spoiler:- Bugs:

    So I was building quite a nice winning streak on random wifi battles, having beaten my way through countless Garchomps, Volcoronas, Aegislash and Mega Blazikens. Then my streak was utterly broken by a Vivillon, who completely swept my team.

    I laughed it off as a one off sort of thing, since the guy deserved props for using it after all. But just as I was starting to build another win streak another Vivillon trainer showed up and it happened again. I am living in perpetual fear that the next trainer I face will have a happy, smiling murder butterfly on their team.

    Pokemon #666 indeed.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    The IceCream Pokemon were actually made in Gen 1 :3 Just a little fun fact to ruin a Genwunners day (not saying you are one)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dragon Roost Island
    Posts
    5,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akanjăo View Post
    What? I don't understand you guys and lads. When we have 150 pokémon, "how there are too much!", when we have less than 100, "What? Low number of pokémon, this is bad, bad!".
    There's such thing as wanting a happy medium. :u


    I'm not that bothered by the lack of Pokemon though. They seem to have gone out of their way to make each Kalos Pokemon unique and stand out and I'm happier with that than having a bunch of forgettable ones. BW introduced tons of Pokemon but a there were a couple that were pretty boring fillermon (like Gothitelle or those aliens). I would have liked to have seen a little more variety with types, though, considering there was only one new Poison line and one non-legendary Ground type.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akanjăo View Post
    What? I don't understand you guys and lads. When we have 150 pokémon, "how there are too much!", when we have less than 100, "What? Low number of pokémon, this is bad, bad!". And c'mon, you guys, if they've given to us other, non-popular pokémon, I doubt it'd be any good.

    But sincerely, I loved the idea to have less pokémon. Really, almost all of Kalos pokémon are great. If not all. And the design style is better than before, as I think they had more time to work on them. They can continue like that if they want, I would love.
    I agree. I was originally a bit disappointed at the low number thinking the more the merrier, but after playing the games I realized just how many Pokémon there are packed into the game from all generations and I didn't notice the lack of newer ones. Plus, I really like the designs of all the new Pokémon. Although as others have said, mega evolution shouldn't have been the gap filler, I think it kind of does work. Even though they aren't new Pokémon, I still go out of my way to evolve them in some way to see their new form, so in my opinion it kind of works.

    Plus, when I think of how many more generations of Pokémon are possible, perhaps it's best if they make less per generation. As a kid, did you ever expect there to be a Pokémon #1000? It seems that's where it's headed. Even though now I like the idea of more Pokémon, there may be a point in time where I think more will be ridiculous, an opinion already shared by many.
    The medal rally isn't dead yet!!

    241/255 medals

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Land of Fish and Chips
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    The number I didn't have a problem with. It was enough to keep things reasonably fresh even though a dozen or so more may have been more ideal. The quality was good enough for me as well - there were enough for me to develop a reasonable team.

    I think the type distribution was out of whack though, excluding Fairies (since of course they would show off the new type). Out of 69 Pokemon, there are nine Dragon types. Nine. That's five evolutionary lines. Despite it being the rarest type. Meanwhile, we only got one Bug line, one Water line that wasn't either version exclusive or a starter (and even then, one becomes a dragon) and four Normal lines of which only one was pure Normal. That isn't right.

    I think that's why Kalos' Pokemon selection feels so small, even to me - the type diversity doesn't feel right. There's an overload of exotic types but the more common types are left out, so it feels devoid of filler, which in turn makes the number of Pokemon feel very small even if it isn't .

    Who cares about cookies? Come to the Light Side, we have CUPCAKES!

    Animal Crossing: New Leaf Dream Code: 7100-3458-5872

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi_Muffin View Post
    The number I didn't have a problem with. It was enough to keep things reasonably fresh even though a dozen or so more may have been more ideal. The quality was good enough for me as well - there were enough for me to develop a reasonable team.

    I think the type distribution was out of whack though, excluding Fairies (since of course they would show off the new type). Out of 69 Pokemon, there are nine Dragon types. Nine. That's five evolutionary lines. Despite it being the rarest type. Meanwhile, we only got one Bug line, one Water line that wasn't either version exclusive or a starter (and even then, one becomes a dragon) and four Normal lines of which only one was pure Normal. That isn't right.

    I think that's why Kalos' Pokemon selection feels so small, even to me - the type diversity doesn't feel right. There's an overload of exotic types but the more common types are left out, so it feels devoid of filler, which in turn makes the number of Pokemon feel very small even if it isn't .
    The reason as to why we only got 1 Bug line this gen was the fact that last gen we got so many Bug lines and many of them were powerful, which is perfectly understandable. I agree that there wasn't enough Pokemon relative to new Fairies though. Most types only had about 7 Pokemon of that type this gen however we got 14 Fairies. I feel as though we should've got more Pokemon this gen, of types other than Fairy. it's not our fault that the company were silly enough not to introduce the Fairy type until now and then make up for the lack of them by introducing a ton of them this gen, making other types this gen less popular.
    My favourite gen 6 Pokemon:
    Delphox
    Pyroar
    Pangoro
    Aegislash
    Malamar
    Dragalge
    Tyrantrum
    Aurorus
    Hawlucha
    Trevenant
    Gourgeist

    2638-1756-0896
    Friend Safari: Psychic - Munna, Wobbuffet, Duosion

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Re-exploring Hoenn
    Posts
    6,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galvantula1992 View Post
    The reason as to why we only got 1 Bug line this gen was the fact that last gen we got so many Bug lines and many of them were powerful, which is perfectly understandable. I agree that there wasn't enough Pokemon relative to new Fairies though. Most types only had about 7 Pokemon of that type this gen however we got 14 Fairies. I feel as though we should've got more Pokemon this gen, of types other than Fairy. it's not our fault that the company were silly enough not to introduce the Fairy type until now and then make up for the lack of them by introducing a ton of them this gen, making other types this gen less popular.
    I think GF already planned on throwing us that many Pokemon, so they didn't really bother with type-distribution for Gen 6. The old Pokemon they put would balance it out.

    But yes, it can be disappointing. Some people find it difficult to create a Kalos-only team.

    I'm actually fine with a single Bug-line, considering Vivillon have different forms to make up for it somehow. What I really find disappointing is the Ground type. Zygarde aside, you don't get one until you evolve Bunnelby.

    .: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.


  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    I think GF already planned on throwing us that many Pokemon, so they didn't really bother with type-distribution for Gen 6. The old Pokemon they put would balance it out.

    But yes, it can be disappointing. Some people find it difficult to create a Kalos-only team.

    I'm actually fine with a single Bug-line, considering Vivillon have different forms to make up for it somehow. What I really find disappointing is the Ground type. Zygarde aside, you don't get one until you evolve Bunnelby.
    I played with a Kalos-only team my first time through. I was actually really happy with it. I believe it ended as Tyrantrum, Greninja, Florges, Pangoro, Goodra, and Avalugg. I think the Florges and Avalugg had perfect natures, too; they were tanks. I honestly had planned on using Florges the second I saw its first little flower form revealed. It looked awesome, was the first fairy introduced (since we hadnt heard that Sylveon was fairy at that point), and I banked on it becoming awesome (which it did).

    Depending on your play style, any generation's pokemon can either be tough or easy to have an 'all region' team. It really comes down to personal taste. Many people love Generations 3 and the Sinnoh starters, but I wasn't a fan of any of them. The pokemon I did like weren't found until way later and weren't all that good when I tried them (I think the only ones I really liked design-wise were Tropius, Seviper, and Absol).
    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

    What's better than a Malamar?
    A Shiny Malamar!

    Current Shinies:
    Malamar
    Dragalge
    Mr. Mime
    Carbink
    Sandslash
    Gyrados
    Horsea
    Haxorus
    Garchomp
    Vivillion (evolved into Modern pattern...thought Shiny turned into High Plains pattern, but whatever)

    Nintendo 3DS FC: 0447 5404 6118
    Safari Zone Element: Electric
    Emolga, Electabuzz, Zebstrika

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    In The Land Of Gods & Monsters
    Posts
    509

    Default

    At first i didnt liked the fact that there are so few pokemon.... i mean i knew we will have few because of the 150 we had in black but i was expecting 100.... anyway at the end i prefer this bunch than the unova one.... also GF has showed that things can change so its possible that pokemon z or x2 y2 might add a few more, a wild guess but may happen, its actually certain that they will add more megas in hoen remakes or the 3rd installment judging by the mega latias/latios
    3883-6008-7187

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Where Life Starts and End
    Posts
    1,845

    Default

    Tbh, Kanto (design wise) had the worst pokémons, by far. But who cares, they were sympathetic.
    Unova's pokémon are far from being bad. People just hate it because it's fine/cool to hate new things and praise the old ones. I prefer Unova by a small amount over Kanto.

    And I'm not saying less quantity = more quality. What I think, is that less quantity means they have a more free time to work on them. Something I don't see it happening when they need to create 150 pokémons or such.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •