Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

Anyways, I do agree they're all quite good (though some could be better, ex: Trevenant & Noivern) but is that not just proportional anyways? If you're going to have around 100 new Pokémon, you're bound to get some duds. Maybe this time quality control was of the utmost importance.
    Last edited by Hexin' Wishes; 2nd February 2014 at 8:00 PM. Reason: Didn't finish my statement

Quote Originally Posted by TheRibbonedCubchoo View Post
    I honestly don't care. Kalos' pokemon impressed me much MUCH more than Unova (Barring my favorite pokemon, Cubchoo.) and Kanto. As the old saying goes, 'Quality Over Quantity'.

For example, look at Mr. Mime, then look at Alakazam. Mr. Mime. Alakazam. You see my point here? Pidgeot. Crobat. Pidgeot. Crobat.

Now look at Kalos' pokemon roster and tell me with a straight face that one pokemon in the Kalos dex is inferior to another in the Kalos dex. This (of course) only goes for the (Give or take.) 79 pokemon we got this gen not including Mega Evolutions (For obvious reasons.)
    Are you talking about design, or viability in battles?
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexin' Wishes View Post
    Crobat isn't even from the same Gen as Pidgeot.

Anyways, I do agree they're all quite good (though some could be better, ex: Trevenant & Noivern) but is that not just proportional anyways? If you're going to have around 100 new Pokémon, you're bound to get some duds. Maybe this time quality control was
    My apologies! For some reason I thought Crobat was a gen 1. Just imagine I said Fearow or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    Are you talking about design, or viability in battles?
    Versatility in battles, mainly. What kind of moves does Fearow have that differentiate him from Pidgeot? Mr Mime. From Alakazam? Tangela from Victreebel? And this is just from Kanto. I'm sure I can say stuff about the other regions, but I just can't find anything like that with Kalos.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    And Sakurai's freedom has ended. Time for him to come back and be our slave to release extremely vague snapshots every five days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
    "Stare into my eyes and be hypnotized by my cuteness!"

Versatility in battles, mainly. What kind of moves does Fearow have that differentiate him from Pidgeot? Mr Mime. From Alakazam? Tangela from Victreebel? And this is just from Kanto. I'm sure I can say stuff about the other regions, but I just can't find anything like that with Kalos.
    To answer your question, Mr Mime is usually found using a baton passing set in NU tier alongside Pokemon like Glaceon, Volbeat and Masquerain in a Baton Pass chain. Tangela functions mostly as an eviolite wall, while Victreebel with Chorophyll ability is used in lower tier sun teams.

Of course, all this is competitive battling that I'm talking about. It's kinda pointless to talk about in-game battle versability/viability when any Pokemon (barring the most gimmicky ones) can help you beat the game fairly easily. It is true that two Pokemon serving similar roles may be found in the same game, such as Pidgeot and Fearow during their introduction. But the two are not interchangeable to me simply because I like Pigeot's elegant design over Fearow's somewhat intimidating, ruthless look. And I've mentioned earlier that I don't believe that increased quantity directly correlates to decreased design quality.

Considering this is the 6th time Game Freak is doing this, I'll be surprised if they didn't at least improve from past experience with prior generations. You're looking at a generation that is very willing to dish out decent abilities to many Pokemon: Prankster, Gale Wing, Protean, Huge Power, Adaptability to name a few, some of which can easily elevate a Pokemon by one or two tiers. You're also looking at the same generation that did a better job at distributing stats point for most Pokemon so that there's fewer points that end up as deadweight.

Game Freak even go as far as to retcon the stats of older Pokemon, even though it was still a half-hearted attempt in the end.
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 2nd February 2014 at 8:35 PM.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.

Of course with less Pokemon there're going to be less Pokemon that are competing for the same niches, but there is Sylveon and Florges. Florges and Sylveon are in almost direct competition for the same niche: Wish/Cleric. Sylveon outclasses Florges in almost every way because of it's better HP (increasing its overall bulk and allowing it use Wish better) and slightly better movepool (Shadow Ball gives it some coverage and Psyshock lets it hit Special walls on the physical side if it needs to). The only thing Florges had over Sylveon was that it can legally have Aromatherapy in Pre-Bank, while Sylveon couldn't have Heal Bell since it has to learn it as Eevee from a Tutor in B2/W2, and Florges possibly has a niche advantage in Doubles because of it's abilities. True, though, that almost all the other Kalos Pokemon, if not all the others, don't have any other Kalos Pokemon that is meant to fill the same role as it which helps differentiate them and allow them to shine in a purely Kalos setting.

Personally, I don't mind that Kalos introduced less Pokemon. We've already had a gen where absolutely no old Pokemon showed up until post game in the first two games, and that was fun in its own way. It was nice to have to re-learn everything all over again.

In this game, however, I felt that everything got an update, whether it was superficial (merely transitioning the Pokemon to 3D and refining their cries), or not (MEGA PINSIR!!!!!! ), and this made all the old Pokemon feel fresh and new again. With them alongside the native Kalos Pokemon, I honestly felt spoiled for choice in terms of trying something "new". Using Aerodactyl felt every bit as new to me as using Goodra not only because I'd never really used one in previous generations, but also because the thing got turned into an absolute killer with Mega evolution. Using Venusaur, even apart from its mega evolution, was a new experience too because now with the new Kalos Pokemon, moves, and abilities, it seemed like there was a ton of new strategies to try that I had never thought of before. There's so many Pokemon I want to try, both new and old, because they all have something new to offer.

The net result is that I, personally, don't feel that there's any lack of "new" Pokemon. Even though only 60-some-odd of them are truly new (i.e., not mega-evolutions or otherwise related to previously existing Pokemon), the amount of content in the game more than makes up for it to the point where I don't notice that there aren't many Kalos Pokemon until someone points it out to me. x)

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

I loved almost all of the new pokemon, but i always try to first make a team using pokemon only of that region. I still did this time, but it was difficult. My team ended up being:
    Delphox
    Talonflame
    Florges
    Goodra
    Dragalgae
    Noivern
    Not exactly a well balanced team. When just playing through a game, i generally just pick pokemon by design and type, nothing too important. i felt like there were too few to choose from. Also, the number made per types was very lopsided in my mind
    3 bug types
    5 dark
    9 dragons?!! How is this okay. there are starting to be way too many dragon types
    3 electric
    12 fairies (understandable, necessary, and appreciated)
    4 fighting
    7 fire
    8 flying
    7 ghost
    9 grass
    2 ground (afterthought, anyone?)
    4 ice (comparable to what we have had in previous gens. this was always a skimpy type in my opinion)
    8 normal
    2 poison (another normally secondary type, IMO)
    5 psychic
    7 rock
    4 steel (another type that there are very few pokemon of. 4:69 might actually be a higher ratio than in some other gens)
    8 water (thankfully this wasn't a waterlogged region)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonair7 View Post
    I loved almost all of the new pokemon, but i always try to first make a team using pokemon only of that region. I still did this time, but it was difficult. My team ended up being:
    Delphox
    Talonflame
    Florges
    Goodra
    Dragalgae
    Noivern
    Not exactly a well balanced team. When just playing through a game, i generally just pick pokemon by design and type, nothing too important. i felt like there were too few to choose from. Also, the number made per types was very lopsided in my mind
    3 bug types
    5 dark
    9 dragons?!! How is this okay. there are starting to be way too many dragon types
    3 electric
    12 fairies (understandable, necessary, and appreciated)
    4 fighting
    7 fire
    8 flying
    7 ghost
    9 grass
    2 ground (afterthought, anyone?)
    4 ice (comparable to what we have had in previous gens. this was always a skimpy type in my opinion)
    8 normal
    2 poison (another normally secondary type, IMO)
    5 psychic
    7 rock
    4 steel (another type that there are very few pokemon of. 4:69 might actually be a higher ratio than in some other gens)
    8 water (thankfully this wasn't a waterlogged region)
    I do agree that ground seemed like an afterthorght, and so did the pointless secondary normal types (why is gogoat pure grass, while heliolisk is part normal, makes no sense).

Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.

Yeah I am a bit disappointed with the small size. On the upside though I feel like the Kalos pokemon are very memorable. I've been playing since the 1st gen and have loved every generation since but Johto pokemon are very forgettable and there are only 100 of them. Very few are competitively viable (Those who are viable are very strong ironically, Tyranitar, Scizor, Heracross and Blissey for example).
    Also just find it shocking at how few legends there are. We got 3. The main trio. Plus those other 3 but we know next to nothing about them. This is so shocking because the past games have had more and more legends each generation. Last one had like two trios, one quartet and two independent ones.
    I really hope GameFreak makes up in the third version/sequels.

Plat FC: Restarted recently. Update later.
    HG FC: 0820 1928 9654
    White FC: 1550 7122 1586
    Black 2 FC: 3526 4292 5271
    3DS: 2809-8335-2844
    Screen Name: Atli

Quote Originally Posted by Sheimi-Shaymin View Post
    Then you sir, must be burned. May I graciously pour gasoline onto your person and ignite you with a match, and allow my farts to viciously make the flames bigger.

69 Is a reasonable amount on a competitive perspective, as that's way less Pokes they gotta throw in NU, thankfully most Kalos Pokemon aren't that bad. In fact most aren't falling under UU which is really good for this gen!
    The amount of megas is another good reason if you count them as actual Pokemon and not forms.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    Dark Pit isn't that bad of an inclusion, you'll get over it trust me.

Doesn't feel like a new game at all. I'm talking about pokemon. First patch of grass, Ta-Dah! pidgey, Not what i expect from a brand new generation. You think oh.. It's just a pidgey i bet there's a bunch of new pokemon on the way, NOPE, Only miles and miles of older pokemon, It's even rare to find a 6th gen pokemon at times. Maybe this is why i didn't like this gen? Along with the fact that out of those 69 you can't get the exclusives, You can't get 3 legendaries, And some of them evolve by trading etc. making this gen notoriously small.

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    Okay so as many of you may know, Kalos only gave us 69 new pokemon, and personally im not to crazy about it, to me it feels like gen 6 so far is really feeling like its the gen to get all the genwunners back, "oh look 2 mega charizards" and it feels like kalos is suffering for it.

But hey maybe im wrong, what do you guys think.
    Yes, but I felt it was needed. Lots of pokemon already. And the ones that were introduced are goddamn awesome. Think yveltal, sugared, xerneas, aegislash and that beastly good rua. Though I am a strong supporter of aegislash.
    Screw the dark side. The light side has cupcakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchog View Post
    Along with the fact that out of those 69 you can't get the exclusives

And some of them evolve by trading etc
    Both of which have been the case for eighteen years.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchog View Post
    You can't get 3 legendaries
    Yet, which is a key distinction.
    Last edited by BCVM22; 10th February 2014 at 5:47 AM.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

The game is notoriously lackluster, As far as 6th gen pokemon go, You can't argue with that.

There are way more old pokemon within x & y than there are new.

My favourite part of Pokemen is collecting.

I don't like having much to collect.
    IGNORE ALL MY TRADE OFFERS.

I swear, if I come back and my inbox is full of PMs, there will be hell to pay.

It's a combination of the old (mega-evolutions) and the new (the 69 Kalos Pokemon). The creators had to model and script the 3D movements of every Pokemon that had existed so far. Most of the Kalos Pokemon look good and fight good (and usually do good). In fact, several of them already have innovative aspects (takes Furfrou's many trims, for example).

Although it's not always the case, less Pokemon means more time to think about how the Pokemon will be in the end. Granted, X and Y are the first games to have the "full 3D" graphics implemented, but still.
    I'm a Christrian. I trust Jesus Christ.

The Truth That Everyone Needs To Know

God wants us to go to Heaven. He is a God of love.
    God is perfectly holy. He hates sin. Everyone has sin.
    God became incarnate in the person of Jesus Christ. He lived a perfect life. He died on the cross. He died to provide forgiveness.
    But, Jesus was resurrected. He is risen. To those who confess that Jesus is Lord, believe that He is resurrected by God, truly realize the sinfulness they truly are in, pray to Jesus for forgiveness of their sins, and truly commit to God everything, they are saved.
    The Holy Spirit "regenerates" the believer. The believer does good works not to maintain his salvation but because he's saved and because of true love of Jesus Christ.

maybe they're holding out for Z, who knows.
    The Pokemon tcg info thread//for NEW PLAYER'S!!!
    I claimed magnemite, mawaru penguindrum, and more(eventually).

I'm okay with the small batch of good quality Pokémon. I enjoy showing Gourgeist, Tyrantrum, Trevenant, and Noivern to Genwunners and saying "Hahahahahaha, what's this business about bad designs in Pokémon past the first 151?" because let's face it - some of these new species have the best designs GameFreak has ever cranked out, and I can't even say a single new species sucks in battle.
    What is Life's Greatest Illusion?
    Innocence, my brother...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FusRoDah View Post
    I'm okay with the small batch of good quality Pokémon. I enjoy showing Gourgeist, Tyrantrum, Trevenant, and Noivern to Genwunners and saying "Hahahahahaha, what's this business about bad designs in Pokémon past the first 151?" because let's face it - some of these new species have the best designs GameFreak has ever cranked out, and I can't even say a single new species sucks in battle.
    I don't even know if you're being sarcastic or serious.

Battle-wise, we did gain some decent additions since Game Freak seems more inclined to give better abilities and stats spread to Pokemon. But if you think those people who're way past the intended age group of Pokemon are going to regret not getting in on the hype again after looking at these Pokemon artwork, you're way off. Design is a subjective matter; I personally don't think any of these Pokemon is grossly superior to those in Gen I, or any other Gen for that matter.

I did find Noivern to be a cooler looking bat than Golbat though.
    Gen 1 has some awesome classics, and preference of a design is all relative to what someone likes, but personally speaking, Noivern is what I consider the coolest looking bat Pokémon ever.
    Innocence, my brother...

I find that Zubat and Golbat are the kind of typical monsters found in platform jumping games like Super Mario; simple design, mono-color scheme, and abundant in numbers. In fact, Game Freak was working on action platform games prior to making Pokemon, so that could have something to do with many of the simplistic designs found in Gen I.

Personally, I don't mind a bat Pokemon that's more detailed, and this may sound like a rant, but the latest two bat species Pokemon seem to be fearful of looking too much like a bat, and try too hard to distinguish themselves by mutating the ears, the tail, the snout... you name it. One was trying to incorporate the concept of love and infatuation in its design with much failure, while the other is squeezing the idea of sound speakers, bat and wyvern all into one.

Also, I can't get over how three entirely unrelated anatomical structures can all be red in color: red claws (keratin), red snout (muscle and skin), and red...bumps on its feet (protruding bone structure)? If red is supposed to a focus point, applying it to all its claws, and maybe the end of its tail would have suffice. Or don't even have any red at all, because its silhouette looks cooler to me than its actual color scheme.

Nevertheless, I find Noivern to be very sinister in appearance and something fierce to use in battle. As for Swoobat, it may be questionable yet it does add variety to the cave scene. I can't honestly say that Zubat's absence in Black and White was all that bad, especially since if you really wanted Golbat or Crobat, there was the Post-game's East Unova. As for variety, it is crucial for a game series built around capturing animals and humanoids and using them for battle to have it. It was acceptable for Zubat to be the only bat species in the first 4 gens due to the fact that they were all Japan-centric and thus neighbors, but to expect a planet roughly the size of earth to have only one bat species would be absurd. Crobat is a beastly bro, Zubat's shiny sprite is something noteworthy (I caught a shiny one late last year) and the venomous vampire bat aspect is welcoming in the franchise, and I love it's 3D sprite in X and Y. I do, however, prefer Noibat and Noivern over Zubat and it's Nosferatu lineage.
    Innocence, my brother...

It seems to be that the makers of the game put more effort into making old things better than they did add new things. I am disappointed by the lack of Pokémon, but at the same time though I know how hard it was to make all the 3D models.

It's not the lack of Pokémon that disappoints me the most, what disappoints me the most is the lack of things to do after the game is over. I do consider Pokémon X to be the worst game in the main Pokémon series so far.

Ah well, I can still play Pokémon Black any time I wanted to.

EDIT: I got a reputation, something like that, I have no idea how to reply to it, so I'll just reply to it in this post.

"Why single out X? It and Y are the same thing."

At what point was I excluding Pokémon Y? Just because I don't mention Pokémon Y as well doesn't mean I'm not including Y as well. Pokémon X is the game I personally own that's why I always say Pokémon X when referring to the sixth generation game.
    Last edited by Blaze The Movie Fan; 11th February 2014 at 2:07 AM. Reason: Just clarifying something.

Personally I've enjoyed the change in graphics and the communication between players more than the new Pokemon, I haven't really taken a liken to any of them.
    Friend Codes -

Pokemon X - 0834-2428-7190 - Name: Sage
    Safari - Panpour, Frogadier & Wartortle.

Pokemon Pearl ~ 2323 0057 2065 - Name: Three

For the sake of fun, I have decided only to use Kalos pokemon competitively regarding the "quality before quantity" argument. The amount makes things simplier compared to Unova for trying out new stuff. At the same time, you will be stuck with one ground and bug type each, but Diggersby gets Huge Power and Vivillion has compoundeyes + Hurricane + Quiver dance combo anyway for example
    X Version, Friend code
    4098 - 3179 - 9820
    Friend Safari, Rock Type (Rhydon, Pupitar, Boldore)

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast