Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

I definitely agree they didn't add that many new Pokes to this generation. I'm wondering how much of that has to do with inserting the new Fairy type or working Mega Evos into the game. I guess that sounds trivial, but...

Anyways, I won't complain about the lack of new Pokes since they added Goodra!

The number of Kalos pokemon while lacking is passable. What makes it disappointing is not the quantity of the new mons but the quality of quite a few of them. That and the number of legendary pokemon. The event legendaties are passable, but not great, IMO. Maybe only Volcanion is cool but I've yet to see it in action.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZbYxqLL4p0 - Sonic the hedgehog amazing collab GMV
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJce1evEhPo - Great Mewtwo AMV

They at least had enough for me to make a "all Kalos Pokemon team" both times I played X and Y. I do agree that the numbers were short this time around. Very short. But if you count the Mega Pokemon...it's still pretty short. I suspect when a new Gen 6 game comes out Mega's will become more common. Like how with Diamond and Pearl, you didn't see many of the new evolutions. But when Platinum came, they were more common.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

I have no problem with the lack in these games. You have to look at it as a game designer. If you want the games to continue, you have to shorten a list some where. It just so happen to be the Pokemon in the games.

It doesn't matter that there are so few new Kalos Pokémon. The Pokémon from Gen1 etc make up for it. Kalos is a beautiful place, and I enjoy being able to use my favorite Pokémon from my childhood in the game.

As a gamer who has played pokemon since the very beginning, I found 69 pokemon to be just the right amount of pokemon for Gen 6 simply because of all the other old pokemon that were added in.

For instance, outside of the Gen 3 games, you don't really see the Whismur line ingame, do you? When I played the original Hoenn trilogy I caught a Whismur for dex entry, but outside of that I never bothered trying to really raise one. My main focus was on the more popular pokemon, that being the starters, pseudo legends, and Gardevoir. But when I saw the cave filled with Whismur right outside Camphier Town, that gave me a second chance to give Exploud a chance, an opportunity that I greatly enjoyed. I even brought my newly bred and trained Exploud online and won a couple of matches with it. I also traded over extra Whismur leftover from breeding for other cool stuff. It was like Whismur was new and cool all over again!

In Gen 5, everyone was familiar with at least one of the elemental monkeys, that being the one you were given right before challenging the Striaton City Gym. Otherwise, who really went to the trouble of catching all three and making a competitive team out of them all (I did, simply because I like simian based pokemon)? The monkeys also helped early game for providing additional type coverage with your two starters. I don't think it is a coincidence that the fire, grass, and water stones can be bought in the same city where you obtain one of the Kanto starters. With a Kanto starter, Kalos starter, and a pseudo Unova starter, you have type balance for the three starter types.

About the only real issue that I had with the Kalos dex was picking an electric pokemon. Dedenne was hard to find (I didn't run into Dedenne until I reached the friend Safari), and due to how rare Sun stones are, I decided against Heliolisk for an ingame run. The other electric types offered I had stored away in Unova awaiting the Pokebank trip to Kalos (except for Plusle and Minun, and I wasn't going to waste two ingame slots for an inferior Pikachu). In the end, I just went with Pikachu (since at least I could equip a Light ball and hit like a nuke), but I still wanted to really try something different.

Basically what I did throughout my ingame X run is try out several new and old pokemon. I used the event Torchic for a bit (evolving into Blaziken). I immediately caught Honedge and leveled it up to a Doublade. I used the gift Lucario some. I alternated between Charizard and Fletching. Swanna saw some play. I even used Farfetch'd for a couple of routes! My final team ended up being Chesnaught, Delphox, Greninja, Pikachu, Charizard X, and Sylveon. For me it felt like Kalos was the first gen where I felt inspired to try just about anything instead of just picking out a pokemon and sticking with it. In the past gens, I already knew who I was gonna use and as soon as I got them, they were permanent members without question. But in Kalos, I still tried using other pokemon even when I had the required party members that I had sought out.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2665 7832 1693

I wanted more new mons too. Not only for the games but I like collecting the cards too... They better make at least twice as many new ones next gen or I'll rage. jk lol

Yup I'm weird.
    Credit: ico

The lack of Kalos Pokemon makes sense if you think about it.

Spoiler:- X and Y Spoilers:
    I like Metagross, and I used to claim it!
    Spheal with it.

Spoiler:- 3DS Friend Code:

Quote Originally Posted by AmusedMilk View Post
    The lack of Kalos Pokemon makes sense if you think about it.

Spoiler:- X and Y Spoilers:
    There's a problem with that, though. We were shown in the illustrations of the war that many non-Gen VI Pokémon took part in the war, meaning that the species you can encounter in Kalos have been present there for a long time. Kalos actually has far more native species of Pokémon than any other region (so many, in fact, that it requires three Pokédexes in order to record them all). It's just that not all of the native species that we see are "new" relative to us.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by mapachatumbili View Post
    As a gamer who has played pokemon since the very beginning, I found 69 pokemon to be just the right amount of pokemon for Gen 6 simply because of all the other old pokemon that were added in.

For instance, outside of the Gen 3 games, you don't really see the Whismur line ingame, do you? When I played the original Hoenn trilogy I caught a Whismur for dex entry, but outside of that I never bothered trying to really raise one. My main focus was on the more popular pokemon, that being the starters, pseudo legends, and Gardevoir. But when I saw the cave filled with Whismur right outside Camphier Town, that gave me a second chance to give Exploud a chance, an opportunity that I greatly enjoyed. I even brought my newly bred and trained Exploud online and won a couple of matches with it. I also traded over extra Whismur leftover from breeding for other cool stuff. It was like Whismur was new and cool all over again!

In Gen 5, everyone was familiar with at least one of the elemental monkeys, that being the one you were given right before challenging the Striaton City Gym. Otherwise, who really went to the trouble of catching all three and making a competitive team out of them all (I did, simply because I like simian based pokemon)? The monkeys also helped early game for providing additional type coverage with your two starters. I don't think it is a coincidence that the fire, grass, and water stones can be bought in the same city where you obtain one of the Kanto starters. With a Kanto starter, Kalos starter, and a pseudo Unova starter, you have type balance for the three starter types.

About the only real issue that I had with the Kalos dex was picking an electric pokemon. Dedenne was hard to find (I didn't run into Dedenne until I reached the friend Safari), and due to how rare Sun stones are, I decided against Heliolisk for an ingame run. The other electric types offered I had stored away in Unova awaiting the Pokebank trip to Kalos (except for Plusle and Minun, and I wasn't going to waste two ingame slots for an inferior Pikachu). In the end, I just went with Pikachu (since at least I could equip a Light ball and hit like a nuke), but I still wanted to really try something different.

Basically what I did throughout my ingame X run is try out several new and old pokemon. I used the event Torchic for a bit (evolving into Blaziken). I immediately caught Honedge and leveled it up to a Doublade. I used the gift Lucario some. I alternated between Charizard and Fletching. Swanna saw some play. I even used Farfetch'd for a couple of routes! My final team ended up being Chesnaught, Delphox, Greninja, Pikachu, Charizard X, and Sylveon. For me it felt like Kalos was the first gen where I felt inspired to try just about anything instead of just picking out a pokemon and sticking with it. In the past gens, I already knew who I was gonna use and as soon as I got them, they were permanent members without question. But in Kalos, I still tried using other pokemon even when I had the required party members that I had sought out.
    I know! I just cant stick with one team in Y.. There are so many pokemon available in Kalos, and there are a lot of pokemon I want to use because I havent used them yet.. But thankfully the new Exp Share solves the potential leveling up problems..
    I changed my team like 4 times before facing the Champion

I don't see this lack of "Kalos Pokémon" people speak of. Yes, Generation VI did introduce less Pokémon than the usual, but it still introduced 70 Pokémon, not only 5 or 10. Not to mention the Mega Evolutions, plus the HUGE amount of older Pokémon present in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, which make picking a team a very difficult task (unless you are one of those weirdos who decide to use only new Pokémon and ignore the existence of older ones, for some reason). As a Pokémon fan, I am really hoping they keep introducing fewer Pokémon in the next generations, because like your or not, we already have more than enough of them. We have 719 Pokémon (not counting Mega Evolutions), if you don't think this number is absurdly high, then I don't even know what to tell you. I am not going to lie, I thought that Pokémon X and Pokémon Y were quite mediocre games for Pokémon standards, but the number of new Pokémon certainly isn't among the flaws those games had.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    As a Pokémon fan, I am really hoping they keep introducing fewer Pokémon in the next generations, because like your or not, we already have more than enough of them.
    Your phrasing here heavily implies your conclusion to be a foregone and objective one, as if disagreeing with you that "we already have more than enough of them" makes one "not a fan" or some such. It isn't, and I would hope you don't have to be told that this is not the case - you saying "we already have more than enough" doesn't actually make it true. Nor, in the interest of both sides, is it any more true that there are "not enough" or any similar sentiment. It isn't a matter of "like your or not" [sic] - the only objective truth is that there are as many as there are and to say there are "too few" or "too many" is a subjectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    We have 719 Pokémon (not counting Mega Evolutions), if you don't think this number is absurdly high, then I don't even know what to tell you.
    And you do it again here. The number isn't "absurdly high". At no point are you asked to memorize, count and/or name the entire bestiary and there's no penalty for being unable to do so. If someone looks at this franchise - built heavily upon the introduction of new collectible monsters every generation - and somehow says "no there are way too many already, and they need to stop introducing them in these numbers", then you are the confused one.

No doubt people said 251 were too many. And again at 386. Again still at 493, and 649 and now still at 721. All of these, noise in the wind. No doubt when we hit an arbitrary number like 1000 (in the middle of some generation's 'Dex, at that), someone will call that too many, and the noise will continue. Still just noise. The bestiary continuing to expand has never been an issue, isn't one now and never will be. Again, memorizing all 700+ isn't a requirement and likely never will be.
    Last edited by BCVM22; 22nd March 2014 at 1:19 PM.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Once you do complete the national Pokédex you'll notice it wasn't as hard as you thought. I could have easily caught, traded and raised another 100 without getting bored. I even had to GO BACK and replay some older generation games to stock up on missing Pokémon such as legends. I didn't mind doing so at all. 'The more the merrier!' they say.

Yup I'm weird.

Only Gamefreak can decide when there are "too many" pokemon, although when you stop to think about it, that's kinda an absurd thought.

With a couple of exceptions (Things based off of metal and folklore), most of the pokemon created are based on existing or extinct creatures in the real world. If you were to try and come up with a count of all the creatures in the world, you would easily surpass 2 million species. For example, if you go with monkeys, there are several different categories and subcategories. New World Monkeys are the Monkeys that have tails, while Old World Monkeys don't have them. If we look at the Chimchar line, you can see that Chimchar is based on an Old World monkey (no tail), while Monferno and Infernape both have tails (being based on New World Monkeys). And then it gets even more complicated when you start adding Orangutan's, chimpanzee's, and Gorilla's into the mix. This is just the simian group (monkeys, gorillas, apes), and yet there are so many species to count! And then you have to account for other mammal creatures. Or if we go with other creature groups such as reptiles, amphibians, or birds.

There are still so many species of creatures yet to be discovered by our scientists, archeologists, and explorers, but do we say "no more!"? We can't, because regardless of our feelings, these creatures still exist. And that is essentially what each new generation represents, the discovery of new life forms. Honestly, what the regional professors are asking you to do is essentially an endless task, just like the real world. You also have to take into account what happens if you put two different species together. While the pokemon games have simplified the process, in the real world you come up with fusions (such as ligers or tigons), which makes categorizing everything even more extensive.

So when Gen 7 comes (it's gonna come, considering all the hubbub that was done regarding Pokebank), I'll welcome whatever new pokemon species are thrown my direction. I'll catch the new regional bird, the new route 1 normal type that is a great HM slave but has a unique gimmicky ability or Pickup, and the new Pikaclone, because just like the real world, new lifeforms are discovered daily. The pokemon games are merely a watered down simulation of it.

Is there a Platypus Pokémon? We totally need one... *senile*

Yup I'm weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Lucario View Post
    Is there a Platypus Pokémon? We totally need one... *senile*
    There's Psyduck which, despite it's name and species classification, is based heavily on a platyplus.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Oh, you could be right... It's called a "duck" though. Guess they screwed up on that one.

Yup I'm weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Lucario View Post
    Oh, you could be right... It's called a "duck" though. Guess they screwed up on that one.
    Not really. "-duck" comes from the Japanese name, and it's still pretty duck-like despite having some platypus attributes. You couldn't really call the thing "Psypus" anyway.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Maybe the lack of pokemon in the kalos region is because of the mega evolutions
    pokemon team

I think the megaevolutions make up for it. I think we have enough pokemon for the time being. I would like to see some more megaevolutions and evolutions for other pokemon at this point.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

Something else that I thought of yesterday when I was Pumpkaboo hunting. There are four different forms, each form having a different set of base stats. That's essentially four different pokemon right there, with slightly different strategies depending on which form you choose. For example, the small form could essentially be used in a little cup environment with eviolite. That extra speed that the other forms lack could be the difference between outspeeding something or getting taken out. For the bigger battle areas though, you could use a supersize Gourgeist and take advantage of that extra hp and attack to be a bulky attacker, dealing more damage and surviving attacks that the other forms could not. Or say you want a little bit of balance in between? Then that's where the regular and large forms come in handy. It's confusion fu if you can utilize it properly.

Sorry if this is outrageous,but I think the next games will happen in Kalos but will technically be the 7th generation.I think,somehow,Zygarde[in a new form] will revive all the pokemon killed waay back either by the ultimate weapon or Yveltal.

I think Zygarde holds the DNA for all the Kalos pokemon.

Again,you're allowed to call me crazy.

I also think they'll reduce the number of items[some of them are useless] and the number of moves[nobody uses some of them thus,they're useless].

"Fear is Freedom!
    Subjugation is Liberation!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

Less pokemon you had to get for the shiny charm am I right :P
    I left this site.
    They gave me an infraction for "cheat codes, discussion".
    I wasnt even talking about cheat codes or anything.
    Its outrageous.
    All I put was that I saw a passerby with hacked shiny legendaries.
    How silly and immature is this site.
    Lmfao.

The fact that there were less new Pokemon species this generation didn't really bother me or any of my friends. As a player way back from when 1st gen came out, this generation was not only a huge breathe of fresh air, but also a great nostalgia trip. The new mega evolutions were great for giving familiar Pokemon cool new branches to play with, and the overhaul of the entire engine was huge. These were the games my friends and I dreamed would come out on the N64, and now we can play them on handhelds!

Well I'm also a player who started from Gen 1, however, the thing I always look forward to in a new Pokemon Generation are the new species of Pokemon. I'm usually a bit disappointed by those Generations, 2 and (especially) 4 so far, that focus too much on older pokemon and my absolute favourite generation so far was 5 (Black and White). I couldn't care less about how many mega forms some fan-favourites get and I don't quite understand the mindset some (not all) people have who go "Hey I used this pokemon in two games so far, lets not try out anything new and just use it again ". So Yes I was a bit disappointed when I learned that there'd be less than 100 new species this time around and the fact that they included generation 1 pokemon (or rather shoved them into your face in the case of Lapras and the Starters) did nothing for me.

However! That being said, even though Kalos had the fewest new pokemon yet and I only used Kalos pokemon, I never found myself lacking options, on contrary I often found myself stumped on which of the new critters I wanted more in my team and frequently changed pokemon, something that did not happen in Pearl, where I spent the majority of the game with less than 6 pokemon on my team. So even among the Generaions with fewer Pokemon Kalos still ranks on my personal top spot alongside Unova and Hoenn.
    That being said, it would still be pretty sweet if they would pull a "Gen 6.5" and introduce another 30 critters, even though that is very unlikely :-/

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast