Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by Chibi_Muffin View Post
    The number I didn't have a problem with. It was enough to keep things reasonably fresh even though a dozen or so more may have been more ideal. The quality was good enough for me as well - there were enough for me to develop a reasonable team.

I think the type distribution was out of whack though, excluding Fairies (since of course they would show off the new type). Out of 69 Pokemon, there are nine Dragon types. Nine. That's five evolutionary lines. Despite it being the rarest type. Meanwhile, we only got one Bug line, one Water line that wasn't either version exclusive or a starter (and even then, one becomes a dragon) and four Normal lines of which only one was pure Normal. That isn't right.

I think that's why Kalos' Pokemon selection feels so small, even to me - the type diversity doesn't feel right. There's an overload of exotic types but the more common types are left out, so it feels devoid of filler, which in turn makes the number of Pokemon feel very small even if it isn't .
    The reason as to why we only got 1 Bug line this gen was the fact that last gen we got so many Bug lines and many of them were powerful, which is perfectly understandable. I agree that there wasn't enough Pokemon relative to new Fairies though. Most types only had about 7 Pokemon of that type this gen however we got 14 Fairies. I feel as though we should've got more Pokemon this gen, of types other than Fairy. it's not our fault that the company were silly enough not to introduce the Fairy type until now and then make up for the lack of them by introducing a ton of them this gen, making other types this gen less popular.
    My favourite gen 6 Pokemon:
    Delphox
    Pyroar
    Pangoro
    Aegislash
    Malamar
    Dragalge
    Tyrantrum
    Aurorus
    Hawlucha
    Trevenant
    Gourgeist

Quote Originally Posted by Galvantula1992 View Post
    The reason as to why we only got 1 Bug line this gen was the fact that last gen we got so many Bug lines and many of them were powerful, which is perfectly understandable. I agree that there wasn't enough Pokemon relative to new Fairies though. Most types only had about 7 Pokemon of that type this gen however we got 14 Fairies. I feel as though we should've got more Pokemon this gen, of types other than Fairy. it's not our fault that the company were silly enough not to introduce the Fairy type until now and then make up for the lack of them by introducing a ton of them this gen, making other types this gen less popular.
    I think GF already planned on throwing us that many Pokemon, so they didn't really bother with type-distribution for Gen 6. The old Pokemon they put would balance it out.

But yes, it can be disappointing. Some people find it difficult to create a Kalos-only team.

I'm actually fine with a single Bug-line, considering Vivillon have different forms to make up for it somehow. What I really find disappointing is the Ground type. Zygarde aside, you don't get one until you evolve Bunnelby.

.: It's time... | Drawn by me, do not steal. :.
    ~ My Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Speculation & Wishlist ~

.: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

I think its just as simple as the time between generations being released was so much shorter and it was basically a testing zone on weather the new style pf gameplay would increase the age range of players bringing old gamers a new reason to come back to playing. Several people at work are now considering coming back to playing pokemon.
    A proud father of three boys who all enjoy pokemon.
    Daddy 1306-7055-3939
    Normal AipombLoudredEevee
    Breed and Train Competition Pokemon, but don't really battle, unless requested.
    Looking for 3/4 iv ditto.
    Am able to breed all pokemon without Ha. Do custom orders and give me time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    I think GF already planned on throwing us that many Pokemon, so they didn't really bother with type-distribution for Gen 6. The old Pokemon they put would balance it out.

But yes, it can be disappointing. Some people find it difficult to create a Kalos-only team.

I'm actually fine with a single Bug-line, considering Vivillon have different forms to make up for it somehow. What I really find disappointing is the Ground type. Zygarde aside, you don't get one until you evolve Bunnelby.
    I played with a Kalos-only team my first time through. I was actually really happy with it. I believe it ended as Tyrantrum, Greninja, Florges, Pangoro, Goodra, and Avalugg. I think the Florges and Avalugg had perfect natures, too; they were tanks. I honestly had planned on using Florges the second I saw its first little flower form revealed. It looked awesome, was the first fairy introduced (since we hadnt heard that Sylveon was fairy at that point), and I banked on it becoming awesome (which it did).

Depending on your play style, any generation's pokemon can either be tough or easy to have an 'all region' team. It really comes down to personal taste. Many people love Generations 3 and the Sinnoh starters, but I wasn't a fan of any of them. The pokemon I did like weren't found until way later and weren't all that good when I tried them (I think the only ones I really liked design-wise were Tropius, Seviper, and Absol).
    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

What's better than a Malamar?
    A Shiny Malamar!

Current Shinies:
    Malamar
    Dragalge
    Mr. Mime
    Carbink
    Sandslash
    Gyrados
    Horsea
    Haxorus
    Garchomp
    Vivillion (evolved into Modern pattern...thought Shiny turned into High Plains pattern, but whatever)

Nintendo 3DS FC: 0447 5404 6118
    Safari Zone Element: Electric
    Emolga, Electabuzz, Zebstrika

Meh, I'm fine with the lack of kalos pokemon.

But what we really need is more gen 6 legendaries (not counting diancie volcanion and hoopa) and gen 5 megas.
    My shinies:
    Electric safari: Dedenne, Galvantula, Helioptile

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Radiance View Post
    Meh, I'm fine with the lack of kalos pokemon.

But what we really need is more gen 6 legendaries (not counting diancie volcanion and hoopa) and gen 5 megas.
    The world will never be complete without a Mega Bisharp and Mega Hydreigon.
    Current Y Post-Game Team
    Xolotl - - - - - - - - - Tonatiuh - - - - - - - - Cinteotl
    Primary DS (Y): 2723-9667-2805, Steel Safari with Metang, Excadrill, Ferroseed
    Secondary DS (X): 4597-0899-1313, Grass Safari with Ivysaur, Oddish
    PM me once you add me and I'll add you.

I'm fine with the number of the new legends , it's a nice fresh touch. While I agree that 72 Pokemon is a small number of new Pokemon , it doesn't bother me anymore.

Besides we also have the Mega Evolutions. Add them up and we almost have 100 species.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Truth View Post
    I'm fine with the number of the new legends , it's a nice fresh touch. While I agree that 72 Pokemon is a small number of new Pokemon , it doesn't bother me anymore.

Besides we also have the Mega Evolutions. Add them up and we almost have 100 species.
    Exactly my thought. We had plenty new Pokemon when BW came out. I don't mind the lack of Kalos Pokemon. ^^
    Most recent shiny:
    3DS FC: 4227-2881-7628

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    No doubt people said 251 were too many. And again at 386. Again still at 493, and 649 and now still at 721. All of these, noise in the wind. No doubt when we hit an arbitrary number like 1000 (in the middle of some generation's 'Dex, at that), someone will call that too many, and the noise will continue. Still just noise. The bestiary continuing to expand has never been an issue, isn't one now and never will be. Again, memorizing all 700+ isn't a requirement and likely never will be.
    I agree completely with what you said.

While many find us to have too many Pokemon, I felt like Kalos' numbers were quite low. Not counting Sylveon and Mega Evolutions, we only had 69 brand-new ones which is not even half of what Unova got. I think we got too few new Pokemon personally, a good number of them uninteresting or mundane and some extraordinary. We get crap like Binacle and its evolution thrown in alongside amazing things like Goomy. I'm find a number of them too be available too late or completely saturated by a number of older Pokemon in the area or Lapras or the Kanto starters. I literally have not encountered a Klefki, Clauncher or Skrelp as of yet in XY. Mega Evolution is a nice concept, but I don't think it should take the place of brand-new Pokemon or make up for anything. Because a number of those Mega Evolutions are available late in the game or post-game.. Many thought Unova gave us too much, many probably thought the number was too high in Sinnoh, then Johto, then Hoenn, etc. People are always going to think the number is too high, but it goes both ways. Personally, in a franchise that thrives on the little creatures that can be caught in and go inside your pocket, I don't see the problem with getting more of them. You're not forced to memorize all of them, in Digimon I hardly know all of them but I still find the show enjoyable. I just was unhappy with Kalos' numbers.
    Last edited by Doryuzu; 7th April 2014 at 4:54 PM.

I agree! I like many of the Kalos Pokemon, but they should have given us more. (The other Generations are still much better, lol.)

Hi, I;m kind of new here. Is there like a place to introduce ourselves?
    ;151; ~*Mystic*~ ;151;

~* ǀ ѕєє ησω тнαт тнє cιяcυмѕтαηcєѕ σf σηє'ѕ вιятн αяє ιяяєƖєναηт
    ǀт ιѕ ωнαт уσυ ɗσ ωιтн тнє gιfт σf Ɩιfє тнαт ɗєтєямιηєѕ ωнσ уσυ αяє. *~

Quote Originally Posted by *~*Mystic Mew*~* View Post
    I agree! I like many of the Kalos Pokemon, but they should have given us more. (The other Generations are still much better, lol.)

Hi, I;m kind of new here. Is there like a place to introduce ourselves?
    SPPf Newbie Lounge
    Enjoy your time here!

While I wouldn't say I was unhappy with Kalos' pokemon (a lot of them are really awesome in design and use) they weren't as stunning? when looking back to Unova's in just sheer numbers. I found it really hard to make a diverse, well-balanced team this gen, and just kinda said screw it and used all the really cool looking pokemon.
    The type that I feel got the most short-changed is...Ground!
    Two ground types this gen. Diggersby is the only one that is available pre-game, the other being Zygarde.
    Also, I really wanted another Eeveelution! Fingers crossed for Draceon!

This is one thing that kept 6th gen from being only my 2nd favorite generation. That and audino not showing up on more routes

Pokemon fan girl since 1999 =D
    Raichu is #1 Forever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonair7 View Post
    SPPf Newbie Lounge
    Enjoy your time here!

While I wouldn't say I was unhappy with Kalos' pokemon (a lot of them are really awesome in design and use) they weren't as stunning? when looking back to Unova's in just sheer numbers. I found it really hard to make a diverse, well-balanced team this gen, and just kinda said screw it and used all the really cool looking pokemon.
    The type that I feel got the most short-changed is...Ground!
    Two ground types this gen. Diggersby is the only one that is available pre-game, the other being Zygarde.
    Also, I really wanted another Eeveelution! Fingers crossed for Draceon!

Yeah, it's kinda messed up how Ground got shafted, but at least it wasn't as horrible as what happened to Fire in Diamond and Pearl. It sucks that unless you pick Bunnelby (and evolve it to Diggersby) that you don't get any new ground types pre dex, but at least there are several older great ground types to choose from such as Garchomp, Sandslash, Golem, Rhyperior, Flygon, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen. Poison type is even worse off, as unless you have Pokémon Y (or trade), you don't get access to Skrelp/Dragalge, the only new poison type for 6th gen. 6th Gen seems to be mostly about Dragons and Fairies.

And though this might be verbatim, having a lower count of pokemon allows me a chance to use pokemon that I have overlooked before. I never used Wingull/Pelliper in the Hoenn games, so when I picked up a copy of Y I added it to my team for a change of something different. Perhaps this might be what Gamefreak wanted? To not just overlook all the old pokemon? To dust them off and give them a try in addition to the new ones?
    Pokemon Black FC: 2665 7832 1693

Quote Originally Posted by mapachatumbili View Post
    Yeah, it's kinda messed up how Ground got shafted, but at least it wasn't as horrible as what happened to Fire in Diamond and Pearl. It sucks that unless you pick Bunnelby (and evolve it to Diggersby) that you don't get any new ground types pre dex, but at least there are several older great ground types to choose from such as Garchomp, Sandslash, Golem, Rhyperior, Flygon, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen. Poison type is even worse off, as unless you have Pokémon Y (or trade), you don't get access to Skrelp/Dragalge, the only new poison type for 6th gen. 6th Gen seems to be mostly about Dragons and Fairies.

And though this might be verbatim, having a lower count of pokemon allows me a chance to use pokemon that I have overlooked before. I never used Wingull/Pelliper in the Hoenn games, so when I picked up a copy of Y I added it to my team for a change of something different. Perhaps this might be what Gamefreak wanted? To not just overlook all the old pokemon? To dust them off and give them a try in addition to the new ones?
    It is two Ground Type Pokémon, one available Post-Game, against four Fire Types, with one available Post-Gme in DP and regularly in Pt.
    I don't see how XY did better in that regard.

Perhaps, and considering the fact it included some rather... Unique choices, so as to say, I guess this was a possible encouragement.

The reason why X/Y why did it better compared to Diamond/Pearl is that in the Kalos games, as I mentioned before, you've still got a great assortment of past ground types to choose from if you didn't go with Diggersby. In Diamond/Pearl, unless you chose Chimchar, your only other choice for a fire pre national dex is Ponyta. Heatran and Magmortar (the only other new fire types for 4th gen) were strictly post game. That's why Kalos did it better. You still had a wider variety of older pokemon to choose from. D/P didn't have that with fire types.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2665 7832 1693

Quote Originally Posted by Galvantula1992 View Post
    . I feel as though we should've got more Pokemon this gen, of types other than Fairy. it's not our fault that the company were silly enough not to introduce the Fairy type until now and then make up for the lack of them by introducing a ton of them this gen, making other types this gen less popular.
    It's not our fault that Gamefreak was silly enough to introduce the Fairy type, period.

Quote Originally Posted by VahnDeathHeart View Post
    I think its just as simple as the time between generations being released was so much shorter and it was basically a testing zone on weather the new style pf gameplay would increase the age range of players bringing old gamers a new reason to come back to playing. Several people at work are now considering coming back to playing pokemon.
    Pretty sure it was about the same as any other generation. Generation VI was released October of 2013, Gen V in September 2010 and Gen IV in September 2006. The gap between Gens V and VI was just a few months shorter than Gens IV and V.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

I really think they should've had more Poison types than Skrelp to take advantage of the fact that they're strong against Fairy now.

Steel probably could've used more as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I really think they should've had more Poison types than Skrelp to take advantage of the fact that they're strong against Fairy now.

Steel probably could've used more as well.
    I wanted more electric types as the ones we got were pretty poor. But I agree that they needed to bring in more pokemon to counter and show off Fairy's weaknesses.
    The Doctor: 'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually*
    from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.'
    In other words: Time is Complicated.
    Credit to epicjirachifan, Chapter of Charizard FairyWitch and Astaral Shadow of the Under

Fairy type hate = people who are resistant to change.

I see nothing wrong with it (personally, I love it) and it was a welcome addition to shake a game that's been stale for a while now (not to the fact people have automatically rated the silly Dragon-type high because of it's resilience). I still feel there should have been more retyped Fairy Pokémon. How could they have gone through the list and only find 22?

Though, to be frank, I do believe that they need to buff Dark-type Pokémon because they're too fragile now. I also believe that Poison needs to have a Legendary, what is taking them so long?
    Friend Code: 4597-0393-3118
    Pokémon in My Safari:
    PM me first before adding!

I was disappointed in the lack of cool Psychic Pokemon. I really like Delphox but the other Psychic choices are terrible IMO

We need a decent Bug type. Poor guys lost quite a bit with Fairy resistances. Also, Dark type needs a buff. It is now way too weak. Also, I would love if Zygarde got one/two Mega Evos, possibly Dragon/Poison to counteract Xerneas and Dragon/Rock as a balance for Yvetal. Since it is the pokemon of balance, and will probably be used in the sequel to restore balance and harmony when Xerneas and Yvetal fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexin' Wishes View Post
    Fairy type hate = people who are resistant to change.

I see nothing wrong with it (personally, I love it) and it was a welcome addition to shake a game that's been stale for a while now (not to the fact people have automatically rated the silly Dragon-type high because of it's resilience). I still feel there should have been more retyped Fairy Pokémon. How could they have gone through the list and only find 22?

Though, to be frank, I do believe that they need to buff Dark-type Pokémon because they're too fragile now. I also believe that Poison needs to have a Legendary, what is taking them so long?
    Saying that people who dislike the Fairy-type are unwilling to change is a broad generalization to make. I dislike Fairy, because in my opinion, it's just putting a band-aid on balancing issues while hurting types that didn't need it instead of fixing the balancing issues head-on. Sure, the latter would have taken more work, but I think more Pokemon would have benefitted that way than adding a new type. OR if Fairy was executed better, I'd be more accepting to it.

And are people saying Dark is too weak now keeping in mind that Steel lost its resistance to it?

We don't really "need" most of these new Pokemon because we have perfectly good ones that already fill their niches, even in game. And if you get creative you can make the new ones work. Fairy's weaknesses are shown quite clearly in the existing monsters who hold x4 weaknesses (Carbink, Diancie, Whimsicott). And, if we got any more than we did there would be the complaint that they made too many copymon (regardless of whether that is the case or not, we got things like Conkeldurr last get and that was the case). 2/3 of the standard early game monsters are even extremely useful in standard competition, which is a first for any generation.
    I wrote the RBY and GSC pages on serebii.net

https://twitter.com/cifalacus

I gotta say, I dont like how many dragons were introduced this gen, but from a design standpoint, its pretty cool. It really helps, making dragon seem like a mormal type, instead of this legendary master type, that it as in the other gens.

Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.

And are people saying Dark is too weak now keeping in mind that Steel lost its resistance to it?
    Dark has excellent distribution, checks a lot of powerful threats (Aegislash and Jirachi, for starters), and has quite a few moves with awesome utility or special effects like Knock Off and Foul Play. It's hardly hurting.

I gotta say, I dont like how many dragons were introduced this gen, but from a design standpoint, its pretty cool.
    I'm just happy we get a pair of games that aren't remakes without Dragons on the cover. I mean if you want to get pedantic even Charizard from RB could be considered a Dragon now that he mega evolves.
    Last edited by Cifala; 13th April 2014 at 7:01 PM.
    I wrote the RBY and GSC pages on serebii.net

https://twitter.com/cifalacus

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast