Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 628

Thread: The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

  1. #326

    Default

    The reason why people are saying that Dark type is more fragile now is probably in comparison to the Ghost type. Let's review.

    Before 6th gen, Dark was weak to only two types, Fighting and Bug, while Ghost was only weak to two types as well, Psychic and Dark. Nothing else special about either type.

    Then, in 6th gen, both types are able to hit Steel types neutrally. That's fine. However, now all Ghost types have a "Shed Shell" built into their typing, while Dark types gained a weakness to the new fairy type. In comparison to the extremely similar Ghost type, yeah it would seem that Dark type lost out. Dark type is similar to the Ice type in that while the actual type might be lacking, the moves of said type are not.

    Now I'm not saying that the Dark type has gotten frail, and I'm not saying that the Dark type hasn't gotten frail, just that I understand where the comments are coming from.

    But I digress. I like the fairy type, I just haven't really seen any Fairy type that really fascinates me (that didn't get retyped) outside of Sylveon. Although, the retyping finally gives me a reason to use Granbull over a similar pokemon like Ursaring.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2665 7832 1693

  2. #327
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Crazy Town, Land of Insanity
    Posts
    4,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mapachatumbili View Post
    The reason why people are saying that Dark type is more fragile now is probably in comparison to the Ghost type. Let's review.

    Before 6th gen, Dark was weak to only two types, Fighting and Bug, while Ghost was only weak to two types as well, Psychic and Dark. Nothing else special about either type.

    Then, in 6th gen, both types are able to hit Steel types neutrally. That's fine. However, now all Ghost types have a "Shed Shell" built into their typing, while Dark types gained a weakness to the new fairy type. In comparison to the extremely similar Ghost type, yeah it would seem that Dark type lost out. Dark type is similar to the Ice type in that while the actual type might be lacking, the moves of said type are not.

    Now I'm not saying that the Dark type has gotten frail, and I'm not saying that the Dark type hasn't gotten frail, just that I understand where the comments are coming from.

    But I digress. I like the fairy type, I just haven't really seen any Fairy type that really fascinates me (that didn't get retyped) outside of Sylveon. Although, the retyping finally gives me a reason to use Granbull over a similar pokemon like Ursaring.
    wat
    Ghost is weak to Ghost, not Psychic.


    Anyway, I agree that the Type itself has become lowered in usability, although the Moves of the Type haven't (but really, with Knock Off and Pursuit being among rhem I don't think it will ever really drop).

  3. #328
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    Ghost is weak to Ghost
    What? I did not even know this.
    Then again I never had a ghost-type on my team, nor do I use any ghost-type moves on my Pokémon.T__T

  4. #329
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Crazy Town, Land of Insanity
    Posts
    4,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milennin View Post
    What? I did not even know this.
    Then again I never had a ghost-type on my team, nor do I use any ghost-type moves on my Pokémon.T__T
    It is, it's the reason why Giratina is the only Pokémon weak to both of it's own Types.

    I also doubt they would have another Bug/Poison situation like in Gen I where they were both weak to eachother and SE on eachother (which was seriously messed up).

  5. #330

    Default

    Yeah, I made a typo. I meant Ghost and Dark. The relation is that both types are strong against Psychic and Ghost. But yeah, I will admit that I was curious as to why Dark type was suddenly nerfed when it really didn't need it in the first place. It would be similar to the Electric or Normal type suddenly receiving another weakness but not getting another type to be super effective against. What I find though is that Ghost types are better defensively (due to the immunities and defensive mechanics to always be able to escape) while Dark types are better offensively. Status wise they are about equal. I will admit that 6th gen is a start to making Ghost and Dark types different instead of being interchangeable types.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2665 7832 1693

  6. #331
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1

    Default

    The IceCream Pokemon were actually made in Gen 1 :3 Just a little fun fact to ruin a Genwunners day (not saying you are one)

  7. #332
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    EST Time Zone
    Posts
    47

    Default

    I'm glad they only put out a few new ones. Unova gave us I think 152. WAT!? If they kept that up, we'd have Pokemon that are basically #2 pencils with legs or tissue boxes with eyes by gen 9. And I think we're up to over 40 legendaries now? Ya know, it's a small world, and there's gotta be a limit to how many demigods are living on it.

    I'd rather Game Freak hold back than release a clusterf**k every generation.

    But there is one thing that really pisses me off: Talonflame. It's not the Kalos Bird and because of it, there is no Kalos Bird. A regional bird MUST be Normal/Flying, and Kalos doesn't have one.
    But from a competitive standpoint, TALONFLAME IS THE S**T! I almost NEVER battle without one! STAB/priority Brave Bird? SIGN ME UP! Insanely fast U-Turn? YEAH BUDEH! Plus it shows that Game Freak is really paying attention to competitive battling, cause now Scizor needs to watch it's back.
    Last edited by ! Q; 19th April 2014 at 5:49 AM.
    I'm not dead. Oh no no, I'm not yet dead.
    Nintendo Network ID: Q_Rush
    Friend Code: 0576-5575-3090
    Safari: Fire w/ Larvesta, Growlithe, and Fletchinder!!! (Gale Wings, anyone?)

    Quit dropping my rep just because I use blue text! It's my "thing" and it's not changing! If you can't read it, then just highlight it with your cursor.

  8. #333
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I think that even though there's a low number of NEW Pokemon, that this generation focused less on adding more Pokemon and more on changing the face of Pokemon and its competitive fields, so even though it's lacking in one department it more than makes up for it with other strengths.

    3DS: 4468-0987-7537
    Neophenx Gaming YouTube
    Currently Promoting
    Pokemon Y Global Link Tournament: April Friendly Summary (Coworker Commentary)
    Posted Wednesday 2014.05.07

  9. #334
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hiatus
    Posts
    7,807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ! Q View Post
    But there is one thing that really pisses me off: Talonflame. It's not the Kalos Bird and because of it, there is no Kalos Bird. A regional bird MUST be Normal/Flying, and Kalos doesn't have one.
    "It's never happened this way before" is a crappy excuse. Talonflame is the regional bird, despite breaking the ever-so-sacred tradition of Normal/Flying regional birds.

  10. #335
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Deep, Deep, Desert
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ! Q View Post


    But there is one thing that really pisses me off: Talonflame. It's not the Kalos Bird and because of it, there is no Kalos Bird. A regional bird MUST be Normal/Flying, and Kalos doesn't have one.

    Meh, I dunno if I'd want anymore of that, especially.
    In fact in Unova, I would have preferred being able to get Rufflet early on versus Pidove; it honestly wasn't quite all that impressive.
    It's nice that GF finally thought to switch up the formula, and essentially make it more usable outside the game's main story.
    3ds FC: Mystica; 2621-3668-7527
    Safari: Electric; Electabuzz, Parchirisu, Galvantula {partially full}

    Art belongs to me
    Preferred Battle Style: Rotation

  11. #336
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rio! View Post
    Meh, I dunno if I'd want anymore of that, especially.
    In fact in Unova, I would have preferred being able to get Rufflet early on versus Pidove; it honestly wasn't quite all that impressive.
    It's nice that GF finally thought to switch up the formula, and essentially make it more usable outside the game's main story.
    True enough, for once the starting bird is actually very decent, more so with it's hidden ability it's actually super competitive. Which is something you can't really say about 99% of the Normal/Flying pokemon. Bird Jesus aside, can't say I've ever used any of the Flying/Normal pokemon.
    Pokemon GL Medals: 135
    Successful trades completed: 25

        Spoiler:- Night's Safari Info:

  12. #337
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade Aran View Post
    True enough, for once the starting bird is actually very decent, more so with it's hidden ability it's actually super competitive. Which is something you can't really say about 99% of the Normal/Flying pokemon. Bird Jesus aside, can't say I've ever used any of the Flying/Normal pokemon.
    I feel like Guts Swellow with Facade is actually pretty amazing, but Normal types overall tend to get outshined severely when they rely primarily on Normal STAB moves, due to Rock/Steel resistors and Immune Ghost types... sure a Swellow can have Scrappy but then it won't have Guts for the power boost. So I'd say Talonflame is indeed the greatest bird so far, with Swellow bringing up a #2 slot. All the rest of them are just... meh.

    3DS: 4468-0987-7537
    Neophenx Gaming YouTube
    Currently Promoting
    Pokemon Y Global Link Tournament: April Friendly Summary (Coworker Commentary)
    Posted Wednesday 2014.05.07

  13. #338
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neophenx View Post
    I feel like Guts Swellow with Facade is actually pretty amazing, but Normal types overall tend to get outshined severely when they rely primarily on Normal STAB moves, due to Rock/Steel resistors and Immune Ghost types... sure a Swellow can have Scrappy but then it won't have Guts for the power boost. So I'd say Talonflame is indeed the greatest bird so far, with Swellow bringing up a #2 slot. All the rest of them are just... meh.
    Reckless Staraptor is pretty strong. STAB Brave Bird and Double-Edge coming off of 120 Attack and a Reckless boost with Close Combat offering coverage makes for a powerful attacker.

  14. #339
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Somerset, KY
    Posts
    40

    Default

    I feel like some of the pokemon lack some creativity.. I mean I love Klefki but his entire design is kind of lame. Maybe its just is description that throws me off but eh.. A few more have the same feeling to me though not in this gen a lone but most of them besides the gen 1 guys. Since I was pretty young when those came out they all have some nostalgic value to me.

  15. #340
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Deep, Deep, Desert
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neophenx View Post
    I feel like Guts Swellow with Facade is actually pretty amazing, but Normal types overall tend to get outshined severely when they rely primarily on Normal STAB moves, due to Rock/Steel resistors and Immune Ghost types... sure a Swellow can have Scrappy but then it won't have Guts for the power boost. So I'd say Talonflame is indeed the greatest bird so far, with Swellow bringing up a #2 slot. All the rest of them are just... meh.
    I enjoy using Swellow too every once in a while, though I imagine in-game is pretty difficult, considering you need a status for the Guts boost to even go into effect.
    Reckless Staraptor is pretty fun though, especially once you throw on a Choice Scarf. 8D
    I'd even say that Staraptor has the best usability in-game as far as Normal/Flying type birds go as an early Pokemon.
    3ds FC: Mystica; 2621-3668-7527
    Safari: Electric; Electabuzz, Parchirisu, Galvantula {partially full}

    Art belongs to me
    Preferred Battle Style: Rotation

  16. #341
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yelsew View Post
    I feel like some of the pokemon lack some creativity.. I mean I love Klefki but his entire design is kind of lame. Maybe its just is description that throws me off but eh.. A few more have the same feeling to me though not in this gen a lone but most of them besides the gen 1 guys. Since I was pretty young when those came out they all have some nostalgic value to me.
    Well as long as you acknowledge that there's a little nostalgia-bias going on, I can excuse that. Sure, people are miffed about a keyring Pokemon and the ice cream cone, but we can never forget that gen1 gave us Grimer and Voltorb. Every generation has its good and bad, as everything comes with a "hit or miss" possibility. It's just how it goes. I've actually found that even though people may complain about the design, they can still become some of the biggest contenders. Scarfed ice cream cones and the Prankster+Swagger+Foul Play keys either have caught on, or are catching on in some competitive formats.

    3DS: 4468-0987-7537
    Neophenx Gaming YouTube
    Currently Promoting
    Pokemon Y Global Link Tournament: April Friendly Summary (Coworker Commentary)
    Posted Wednesday 2014.05.07

  17. #342
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    777

    Default

    They have nostalgic value to me too, but even then some of the designs of pokemon from that generation are lame as well not to mention look horrible (Chansey comes to mind), he's an egg carrying an egg, which people can eat...
    But like you and Neo said, every gen has had things that just are silly designs. (Garbodor... he's literally trash)
    A matter of keeping an open mindand not letting the nostalgia keep you from potential useful pokemon even if they look silly by design
    Pokemon GL Medals: 135
    Successful trades completed: 25

        Spoiler:- Night's Safari Info:

  18. #343

    Default

    Speaking of early game pokemon, Diggersby is pretty awesome as well. Although I'm also wondering, what's up with all the normal hybrids?
    Pokemon Black FC: 2665 7832 1693

  19. #344
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Re-exploring Hoenn
    Posts
    6,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mapachatumbili View Post
    Speaking of early game pokemon, Diggersby is pretty awesome as well. Although I'm also wondering, what's up with all the normal hybrids?
    I'm guessing it just for purposes of giving us new type combos. Also, the Normal type is not really paired much with other types (apart from Flying).

    .: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.


  20. #345
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,901

    Default

    I'm pretty sure they took Mega Evolutions into account while deciding how many to add this generation, for the most part the Mega Evolutions all have kind of designs you'd expect from actual evolutions. I believe with the Mega Evolutions and Event Legendary Pokemon the total is somewhere around 100 which keeps with the number trend of being higher on the odd number Generations and lower on the even number Generations.

    I was shocked and a little disappointed, but regardless the case there's still 72 new Pokemon, and that is plenty. There's 32 lines of Pokemon(Excluding Legendary, 38 with them), and that would be more then enough to build a team out of if you only wanted a team of 6 generation 6 Pokemon which obviously not everyone wanted or did.

    Gamefreak probably did want to try and grab back those who left because really Pokemon is something anyone can love so long as you don't overreact to the things you don't like(Which obviously can't be said about everyone). Nostalgia isn't really anything new to franchises and Pokemon can probably benefit greatly from it most of all.

    The only thing with the number of Generation 6 Pokemon is that they don't add much for the overall types. Three Bug types all in the same line, two Ground types, two Ice types both in the same line, probably a few other cases of it too. But again, Mega Evolutions were probably taken into consideration for this.

    Overall, I'm fine with it. There's still plenty to choose from, and they still managed to give out at least one fully evolved Pokemon for each type(And if you include Mega Evolution; which there's really no reason you shouldn't, then it's just more).

  21. #346
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Looking back to the start of the game to now, i'm not as irked about the lack of pokemon this generation as i was a while back. I mean, don't get me wrong, i think 10-20 more pokemon probably would've been more appropriate, yet i really like some of the pokemon that this generation has produced.

    718/718 Pokemon caught as of 4/13/14
    Pokemon X FC: 2638-0594-6140
    Serebii.net Claims:
    -The Drill Pokemon, Nidoking

  22. #347
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    44

    Default

    I would have REALLY liked about fifteen more Pokemon. I agree with all of the designs being amazing except for one; Delphox. God, I hate it's design. Fennekin had such potential.
    Pokemon X Champions


    POKEMON X&Y FRIEND CODE: 3625-8985-6135
    Add me and we can trade or battle sometime! ^,^

  23. #348
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    1,118

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheerioxo View Post
    I would have REALLY liked about fifteen more Pokemon. I agree with all of the designs being amazing except for one; Delphox. God, I hate it's design. Fennekin had such potential.
    I'm sort of indifferent about delphox. The aesthetics definitely make it look like a fire/psychic hybrid to me. The only beef i have with that pokemon is the name, mainly because i don't think people have a full grasp on its origin. When comparing Delphox's name to the two other starters of gen vi it feels like Game Freak's dubbing department kind of loafed around. I'd argue that Blaixen's design was the one that killed that evolution chain for me. The parachute pants legs were a big turnoff.

    718/718 Pokemon caught as of 4/13/14
    Pokemon X FC: 2638-0594-6140
    Serebii.net Claims:
    -The Drill Pokemon, Nidoking

  24. #349

    Default

    Game Freak doesn't have a "dubbing department."

    Why does it matter if people "don't have a full grasp on its origin"? The name makes fine sense, and if someone cares enough to want to know, they'll look it up, won't they?


    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  25. #350
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mapachatumbili View Post
    Speaking of early game pokemon, Diggersby is pretty awesome as well. Although I'm also wondering, what's up with all the normal hybrids?
    There are, I think, 32 fully evolved non-legendary pure Normal types, that's more than any other type so they probably wanted to add some diversity.

    I think the quantity of Kalos Pokemon is too low, I don't count mega form changes as new Pokemon and it's a gimmick I hate, but the quality of the new additions outshines Unova.

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •