Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade Aran View Post
    I'd like to bring up exhibit A:

Scyther, it even has the classification "Mantis Pokemon"

I might not understand exactly what's what but what's the point of having pokemon look exactly like their real life counterparts, half the fun is that they're different.

Most pokemon that have resemblance to things in real life are loosely based on them obviously. So yeah, Kangaskhan is loosely based on a Kangaroo* of course, but that's not a bad thing, the same as Froakie is loosely based on a frog.
    Scyther is more a mixture of a mantis and the popular conception of a raptor. A really good and cool design but it has nothing of the elegance and stealthiness of a praying mantis.
    Nobody said they have to be exact copies of real world animals, but they should represent the most prominent aspects of an animal, and with a kangaroo (imho) it's speed, jumping and kicking, not that it carries its baby in a pouch, most animals around here do that. Kangaskahn is more a general marsupial pokemon than a kangaroo.

And: I hate it when people say "animal x is already represented by pokemon x we don't need it anymore". Why? Why should the existence of Kangaskahn for all eternity forbid the creation of a more agile interpretation of kangaroos?
    With enough creativity one animal can lead to a number of completely different designs, each representing a different, extraordinary aspect of the original animal and mixed with other concepts. Most types of real life animals have many different species and/or breeds, why should pokemon be restricted to "one pokemon per animal'?

If we can have a redundant Pikachu clone every generation (seriously Dedenne?) and three butterflies, then we can have two kangaroos.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphalesion View Post
    Scyther is more a mixture of a mantis and the popular conception of a raptor. A really good and cool design but it has nothing of the elegance and stealthiness of a praying mantis.
    Nobody said they have to be exact copies of real world animals, but they should represent the most prominent aspects of an animal, and with a kangaroo (imho) it's speed, jumping and kicking, not that it carries its baby in a pouch, most animals around here do that. Kangaskahn is more a general marsupial pokemon than a kangaroo.

And: I hate it when people say "animal x is already represented by pokemon x we don't need it anymore". Why? Why should the existence of Kangaskahn for all eternity forbid the creation of a more agile interpretation of kangaroos?
    With enough creativity one animal can lead to a number of completely different designs, each representing a different, extraordinary aspect of the original animal and mixed with other concepts. Most types of real life animals have many different species and/or breeds, why should pokemon be restricted to "one pokemon per animal'?

If we can have a redundant Pikachu clone every generation (seriously Dedenne?) and three butterflies, then we can have two kangaroos.
    I see absolutely nothing "raptor" in Scyther, but that's just me. I see it as stealthy and Mantis are elegant? I find them disgusting lol
    Also, when I think Kangaroos, I don't think either speed, or kicking. I think baby in pouch in front of it (and yes, jumping). So I guess this is more of a "personal interpretation of an animal/pokemon" than its to say they're loosely related.

Regardless, I'm not saying just because there's already a pokemon that represents it, that there can't be more, by all means, BRING ALL THE POKEMON!, but at least give credit where it's due that's all I'm saying, we shouldn't say "I want a pokemon like this animal" and then not mention that there's one already even if it doesn't fit your ideal of how that animal is or should be represented.

@Rio!: At least the dogs are well represented, aside from the 3 legends, Arcanine and Houndoom are very nice... though I wish they buffed Arcanine or something, it seems so lackluster as generations go by... and it's one of my favorites, it needs a little OOMPH. =(
    Last edited by Nightshade Aran; 28th April 2014 at 10:28 PM.
    Pokemon GL Medals: 135
    Successful trades completed: 25

Spoiler:- Night's Safari Info:

a kangaroo
    Breloom? Sure, it's based on a mushroom as well but some kangaroo characteristics are there.

Quote Originally Posted by SKyLineR32 View Post
    Breloom? Sure, it's based on a mushroom as well but some kangaroo characteristics are there.
    Had completely forgotten about him, now there's a pokemon that makes me think of Speed, Jumping and Kicking, and baby pouch aside, its loosely similar to a Kangaroo.

Quote Originally Posted by SKyLineR32 View Post
    Wow it's even fighting type ^-^ Yep totally forgot that Breloom existed, though it too reminds me more of a dinosaur, but yes there are some kangaroo aspects there. A mushroom kangaroo, if that's not creative I don't know what.

I see absolutely nothing "raptor" in Scyther, but that's just me. I see it as stealthy and Mantis are elegant? I find them disgusting lol
    Also, when I think Kangaroos, I don't think either speed, or kicking. I think baby in pouch in front of it (and yes, jumping). So I guess this is more of a "personal interpretation of an animal/pokemon" than its to say they're loosely related.
    Scyther sure doesn't look like an insect, it looks like a raptor from Jurassic park fused with some insect parts. As I said, that's still a concept that cool as hell. And yup Praying Mantis are very elegant and beautiful insects in my eyes (in the sense that spiders can be elegant), ever had one of those look at you? They're incredible!
    As I said, in Australia lots of animals carry their babies in pouches for part of their development, so I don't see it as a kangaroo specific characteristic.

Regardless, I'm not saying just because there's already a pokemon that represents it, that there can't be more, by all means, BRING ALL THE POKEMON!, but at least give credit where it's due that's all I'm saying, we shouldn't say "I want a pokemon like this animal" and then not mention that there's one already even if it doesn't fit your ideal of how that animal is or should be represented.
    I admit I forgot Kangaskahn existed, have honestly never considered it a kangaroo pokemon (see above). And with Scyther I always assumed it was based off some sort of weird grasshopper or mantis they only have in Japan/the Northern Hemisphere and had never linked it to the Praying Mantises outside my window, and I specifically asked for a Praying or an Orchid Mantis pokemon, not just any old mantis.
    And sorry, the mini-rant about "we arlready have one, don't need another" was not against you in particular, but in general. Yeah bring ALL THE POKEMON!

@Rio!: At least the dogs are well represented, aside from the 3 legends, Arcanine and Houndoom are very nice... though I wish they buffed Arcanine or something, it seems so lackluster as generations go by... and it's one of my favorites, it needs a little OOMPH. =(
    Never liked Arcanine much, but yes I'm surprised it didn't get a Mega Evolution, it's definitely popular enough to get one... But then I want a Mega Ninetales too!

And just in case I forgot other species as well: are there Humming Bird, Peacock, Housefly, Muntjac, Capybara or Nautilus pokemon? If not, then they're on my list too ^-^

Edit: Meh, on second thought I suppose Omanyte/Omastar are close enough to a Nautilus Pokemon.
    Last edited by Orphalesion; 29th April 2014 at 12:07 AM.

Scyther sure doesn't look like an insect, it looks like a raptor from Jurassic park fused with some insect parts. As I said, that's still a concept that cool as hell. And yup Praying Mantis are very elegant and beautiful insects in my eyes (in the sense that spiders can be elegant), ever had one of those look at you? They're incredible!
    As I said, in Australia lots of animals carry their babies in pouches for part of their development, so I don't see it as a kangaroo specific characteristic.
    I find Mantis creepy as all hell, probably even more than most spiders, so maybe that's why. Yeah I know a lot of animals carry baby in pouches, just that the one mostly associated with that particular trait is Kangaroos is all, at least for me. But speed, jumping and fighting aren't kangaroo specific characteristics either, though probably one that has all 4 combined.

I admit I forgot Kangaskahn existed, have honestly never considered it a kangaroo pokemon (see above). And with Scyther I always assumed it was based off some sort of weird grasshopper or mantis they only have in Japan/the Northern Hemisphere and had never linked it to the Praying Mantises outside my window, and I specifically asked for a Praying or an Orchid Mantis pokemon, not just any old mantis.
    And sorry, the mini-rant about "we arlready have one, don't need another" was not against you in particular, but in general. Yeah bring ALL THE POKEMON!
    All good, mini-rants are expected for pokemon lovers. =P so I didn't take it personally.

Never liked Arcanine much, but yes I'm surprised it didn't get a Mega Evolution, it's definitely popular enough to get one... But then I want a Mega Ninetales too!

And just in case I forgot other species as well: are there Humming Bird, Peacock, Housefly, Muntjac, Capybara or Nautilus pokemon? If not, then they're on my list too ^-^

Edit: Meh, on second thought I suppose Omanyte/Omastar are close enough to a Nautilus Pokemon.
    Yeah, a Ninetails M-Evo would be nice, I saw one recently (obviously fake fan art) but it looked really nice. M-Ninetales Fan art. It looks Fire/Ghost.

Housefly makes me think of Chonchon from Ragnarok Online~

PS: This mega needs to happen: Surprise Mega

Anyhow, as someone that considers Megas as "technically" new pokemon, while I hope that they add a bunch in the next game/gen, I do hope it doesn't mostly compose only that, since for competitives sake, it might not always be useful to use a mega over an Choice item/Life Orb pokemon. Also, I hope for new babies, I saw a fake video of pokemon for "Gen 7" and it had quite a few new baby pokemon and OMG Cute.

PS: WTB a Dodo pokemon, hah!

Yeah, a Ninetails M-Evo would be nice, I saw one recently (obviously fake fan art) but it looked really nice. M-Ninetales Fan art. It looks Fire/Ghost.

Housefly makes me think of Chonchon from Ragnarok Online~

PS: WTB a Dodo pokemon, hah!
    YEOP! We definitely need that Mega Cofagrius, Out-Of-the-Closet Cofagrius would definitely be my favorite Mega if it was real. I Like the black/white alternating tails of the Mega Ninetales, but don't like the smoking head and the purple feather boa too much. Fire/Ghost would make sense for Mega Ninetales, though.

Aww that Chonchon thing is cute. I hope if I get a housefly pokemon then it will have an aggressively ugly-cute maggot pre-evolution (like a oozing, slimy larva with a baby bonnet and sucking on a pacifier) Too bad the name Magby us already taken. Magoogoo then?

And we definitely need a Dodo pokemon. But it should not evolve, have horrible stats and have a signature attack that lowers its defenses while boosting the opponent's attack stats. XD

Well I don't really consider Mega Pokemon new pokemon, but they definitely make sense (what with all the babble about the secret power of pokemon since Gen 1, finally we got to see it). I agree that I would be fine with a few new ones every generation (say 6-12 per generation) but I would also like to see "ordinary" evolutions for older pokemon. I just love branched evolutions. Also something Gen 6 lacks (Sylveon notwithstanding) :-(
    Last edited by Orphalesion; 29th April 2014 at 1:40 AM.

I totally agree with you! Hooray for Mega Cofagribus, the mummy fighter!

YEOP! We definitely need that Mega Cofagrius, Out-Of-the-Closet Cofagrius would definitely be my favorite Mega if it was real. I Like the black/white alternating tails of the Mega Ninetales, but don't like the head too much. Fire/Ghost would make sense for Mega Ninetales, though.

Aww that Chonchon thing is cute. I hope if I get a housefly pokemon then it will have an aggressively ugly-cute maggot pre-evolution (like a oozing, slimy larva with a baby bonnet and sucking on a pacifier) Too bad the name Magby us already taken. Magoogoo then?

And we definitely need a Dodo pokemon. But it should not evolve, have horrible stats and have a signature attack that lowers its defenses while boosting the opponent's attack stats. XD

Well I don't really consider Mega Pokemon new pokemon, but they definitely make sense (what with all the babble about the secret power of pokemon since Gen 1, finally we got to see it). I agree that I would be fine with a few new ones every generation (say 6-12 per generation) but I would also like to see "ordinary" evolutions for older pokemon. I just love branched evolutions. Also something Gen 6 lacks (Sylveon notwithstanding) :-(
    Yeah, more evolutions of older pokemon would be nice, I'd love to see things like Froslass/Glalie and Gallade/Gardevoir. Where they simply get off a branched evolution as you say a 2nd/3rd evoution, or maybe a world first 4th stage evolution (Example: Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree/Can'tBelieveIt'sNotButter).

I love seeing concept art of pokemon, look at this, it even has a peacock like you mentioned before: Fan Art Vid and the baby pokemon I mentioned.
    PS: some of those people have seen WAY too many Digimon and YuGiOh in their time.

Also, that idea of the Dodo stats/move is freaking hilarious.

I think Fire/Psychic or Fire/Fairy would make more sense for Mega Ninetales.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I think Fire/Psychic or Fire/Fairy would make more sense for Mega Ninetales.
    Hmm well as far as Ninetales go in legends, I don't think Fairy would work, Ninetales aren't very nice mythical creatures. Psychic maybe, but they're known to give curses and the such (As seen by the pokedex entry), and well "Curse" is after all a Ghost move.

As for this gen itself, I really do feel like they could have done so much more. When they were releasing the info on it, I would have bet my life on there being another Eevolution, since they're usually released in pairs, but this one was the odd one out. While I'm all up for new pokemon (useless or otherwise), some previous gen pokemon could have really used a bit more representation.
    I was just reading that Arcanine was originally meant to be one of the bird trio, and that's probably why it's classification is "Legendary Pokemon". Biased as I'm coming off, he really could have used a mega, over some of the ones that were selected.
    As well as it baffles me as to why Audino wasn't made a fairy, Keychains and Pitbulls? Fairy... something that SCREAMS fairy? keep it normal.

They definitely have collected some cool designs in that video, I remember seeing the nightmare and earthworm pokemon before on deviantart and really liking them. And dawwww baby Floatzel and Absol just dawwwwwwwwwww ^-^

But yeah some of the designs are too complex/ digomon-like and.... light type *facepalm* Light type was a cool fan concept, but Fairy Type pretty much nixed all possibility of it happening anytime soon. Not saying its impossible, eventually, but very, very, very unlikely.

Hmm well as far as Ninetales go in legends, I don't think Fairy would work, Ninetales aren't very nice mythical creatures. Psychic maybe, but they're known to give curses and the such (As seen by the pokedex entry), and well "Curse" is after all a Ghost move.

As for this gen itself, I really do feel like they could have done so much more. When they were releasing the info on it, I would have bet my life on there being another Eevolution, since they're usually released in pairs, but this one was the odd one out. While I'm all up for new pokemon (useless or otherwise), some previous gen pokemon could have really used a bit more representation.
    I was just reading that Arcanine was originally meant to be one of the bird trio, and that's probably why it's classification is "Legendary Pokemon". Biased as I'm coming off, he really could have used a mega, over some of the ones that were selected.
    As well as it baffles me as to why Audino wasn't made a fairy, Keychains and Pitbulls? Fairy... something that SCREAMS fairy? keep it normal.
    Fairies in Japanese culture are seen as pranksters, they don't have to be nice. That's why you see more stuff like Mawile and Klefki get Fairy type over some of the cute, healer type Pokemon like Audino and Chansey. I can see Ninetales fitting that magical prankster theme.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 29th April 2014 at 2:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

To answer the thread's topic, it probably mostly has to do with the fact there were waaaaay too many new Pokemon in Gen V (and in Pokemon history) to get a very low count this gen.

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Chapter 219: An Alien Friend in Ness - Complete!

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    it probably mostly has to do with the fact there were waaaaay too many new Pokemon in Gen V (and in Pokemon history) to get a very low count this gen.
    As there cannot be "way too many", or too few, it doesn't have anything to do with that at all. The notion that there are getting to be too many total is inherently flawed to begin with.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    As there cannot be "way too many", or too few, it doesn't have anything to do with that at all. The notion that there are getting to be too many total is inherently flawed to begin with.
    Then, do you have a more concrete answer?

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Chapter 219: An Alien Friend in Ness - Complete!

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Then, do you have a more concrete answer?
    A more concrete answer? It's a 17-page thread. The issue, such as it is, has been discussed ad nauseum and any number of reasonable possibilities surmised, none of which have anything to do with there being "too many Pokémon", which again there can't actually be.

Nuances and space required of designing 3D models for 700+ Pokémon and storing them all on handheld game-sized media? Check.
    Desire to integrate older Pokémon with the Kalos Pokédex and make them available and usable throughout the game quest? Check.
    The total number of new Pokémon + the number of Mega Evolutions adding up to a count more in line with previous generations? Check.

The list goes on. Again, the last 17 pages have brought up all of these and more. Not that one is necessarily expected to read all 17 of those pages before posting (nice as that would be in any thread), but certainly you would agree that jumping in to a discussion of such length at a late date and going "no, it's probably because of this" is a little nearsighted, no?

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Certainly, as a pokemon lover, I don't think I could ever say "There are too many pokemon", as I said in an another thread today... BRING ALL THE POKEMON!!!
    As long as they give me enough to fill my palate, I'm very happy. (By this I mean don't make a new gen and release 25 new pokemon).
    I think most discussion is based mostly because we got 150 as an opener, which seems quite steep, and then get what we got here, seems odd.
    But neither argument is really sensible since, as BCV says, there really can't be too many or what not.

Certainly, as a pokemon lover, I don't think I could ever say "There are too many pokemon", as I said in an another thread today... BRING ALL THE POKEMON!!!
    As long as they give me enough to fill my palate, I'm very happy. (By this I mean don't make a new gen and release 25 new pokemon).
    I think most discussion is based mostly because we got 150 as an opener, which seems quite steep, and then get what we got here, seems odd.
    But neither argument is really sensible since, as BCV says, there really can't be too many or what not.
    I agree, I think we all got spoiled when Gen 1 came out with 150. Then every Gen after that they always matched or gave us more until Gen 6, but im completely happy with the number they gave us this Gen because we also got a new 3D makeover
    IGN: Corbin
    FC: 2680-9260-3852
    Electric Safari (Stunfisk, Dedenne, and Luxio)

It would have been great to have another set of `151 r more for the Kalos Dex. I was dissapointed that this was the smallest distribution of Pokemon. However one thing I'm hopeful for is a sequel to X/Y with MORE Pokemon included besides Diance and Hoopa.

"Small but Brave! Keldeo the Hero!!"

3DS FC- 4141-3093-5467

FS- Flying Safari- Hawlucha,Woobat,Spearow

Please add me to your Friend Roster!

Quote Originally Posted by silver_phoenix View Post
    It would have been great to have another set of `151 r more for the Kalos Dex. I was dissapointed that this was the smallest distribution of Pokemon. However one thing I'm hopeful for is a sequel to X/Y with MORE Pokemon included besides Diance and Hoopa.
    No other Pokemon beyond Diancie, Volcanion and Hoopa were found in the game's code. Wait till Gen 7 arrives.

.: Pumping it up for November!!! | Drawn by me, do not steal. :.
    ~ My Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Speculation & Wishlist ~

.: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

Quote Originally Posted by silver_phoenix View Post
    There aren't going to be new pokemon in the third version of the game... aside from the three legends and maybe some other forms to pokemon like Zygarde or whatever they decide to do based on what they've done before (Like Kyurem-W/B)

There aren't going to be new pokemon in the third version of the game... aside from the three legends and maybe some other forms to pokemon like Zygarde or whatever they decide to do based on what they've done before (Like Kyurem-W/B)
    Exactly. Only new formes for existing Pokemon like Zygarde (Am I the only one who has the assumption that Zygarde will probably end up with two Mega Evolutions?) and the remaining event legends (Hoopa is the most likely one to be distributed in the next games, Volcanion has a 50-50 chance to be distributed either during X/Y release or in the next game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Truth View Post
    Exactly. Only new formes for existing Pokemon like Zygarde (Am I the only one who has the assumption that Zygarde will probably end up with two Mega Evolutions?) and the remaining event legends (Hoopa is the most likely one to be distributed in the next games, Volcanion has a 50-50 chance to be distributed either during X/Y release or in the next game.
    If they stick with what they said (which still is no guarantee) they said they weren't going to release M-Evos for 6th Gen pokemon. So really we just have to wait and see, maybe another method for X/Y/Z to work together or something, and of course even that is guess work because it's not like that's happened in every game prior to B2/W2

If they stick with what they said (which still is no guarantee) they said they weren't going to release M-Evos for 6th Gen pokemon. So really we just have to wait and see, maybe another method for X/Y/Z to work together or something, and of course even that is guess work because it's not like that's happened in every game prior to B2/W2
    They aren't going to release megas for Gen 6 Pokemon this generation. That's what they said.

I imagine that as time goes on and they release more games there will be more mega evolutions for newer Pokemon. Maybe as they remake games they'll put them in. Gen 7 might have Sinnoh remakes assuming they continue remaking games, so then they'll introduce Gen 4 megas. Then when there is Gen 5 remakes there will be Gen 5 megas and so on.

Or they won't do remakes for all the games and they'll just introduce more megas for newer Pokemon as the series progresses.

Or they'll scrap the entire idea. It's possible..and has happened.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast