Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast
Results 526 to 550 of 559

Thread: The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

  1. #526
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangeh View Post
    They were cited by users before I posted and I didn't feel the need to regurgitate the same information. You and subsequent posters pretty much nailed the ones I was thinking of anyways.



    Kalos actually at least tried to have unique pokemon, as I already said a page back. And wtf are you talking about "we have enough fire/flying pokemon"? We had three of them before Gen VI. Two of those were legendaries, and one was charizard - which does beg the question of whether Gen VI was the right place to introduce talonflame as you actually have access to charizard in-game for the first time since Gen I, but it's a welcome addition nonetheless and an absolute beast in competitive battling.

    They should've done more with dedenne. They really didn't take advantage of its fairy-type and I actually greatly prefer emolga on this one.

    Yeah, but noivern looks incredible as opposed to swoobat who is butt-ugly lol. They looks nothing alike. Woobat didn't even look like zubat, so whatever.

    Spitzee and swirlix are fairy-type pokemon which was a completely new type introduced in Gen VI, so I have no idea what you're getting at. There's very few fairy-types in existence even with them included.

    Vivillon is the most traded pokemon on the GTS, and I'd hazard a guess that it's one of the most negotiated pokemon on this forum as well if not the most (save maybe ditto?). Why is this, if it's such a generic bug? Because it has many different forms that appear based on your personal location on the globe. Gen VI really emphasized unity and this was just one of the ways they accomplished it. It took a generic idea and made it special. (plus Viv get compound eyes and the moveset to actually utilize it, making it an unexpectedly amazing quiver dance sweeper).

    Furfrou is not a standard normal type. It's a physical-wall due to its unique ability, and gets cotton guard to boot. Most normal types are either special walls or physical attackers. Furfrou has kind of a lame movepool though, so it's kinda meh unfortunately. But you can get its fur cut, which is another way they took this generic idea and made it different.

    Clauncher was kinda pointless yeah, but I think that's why they made it version-exclusive.

    Froakie being a poliwhirl clone?! Pffft no. I don't think I even need to tell you why you're incorrect because that's a ridiculous statement. The problem with seismitoad was that it was a poor man's quagsire/ gastrodon - same type, similar stats, but shallower movepool and poorer abilities. It also looks like a quagsire that had a bad allergic reaction to something lol. Froakie evolves into greninja which gets one of the best and rarest abilities in the game (protean aka STAB on anything) and the stats and movepool to make it a great unique special attacker.

    I thought the same thing when fennekin was first introduced, but ninetales and delphox are a hell of a lot different...

    Trevenant plays more like a physical attacker/spinblocker and gourgeist as a physical wall/staller... it's worth noting that they are the only two lines to be grass/ghost, and making trevenant grass/dark (for example) would make it harder to distinguish from shiftry and cacturne.

    Binacle's ugly and generic so I agree.

    Goodra is the only specially-defensive pseudo-legendary, and special-defense is a rare trait for a dragon type to have anyways (altaria's the only other one I can think of off the top of my head). Plus it has a unique and useful ability in gooey (sap-sipper has merit as well though).

    Dragalge looks nothing like seadra... lol, other than the body shape a little, but then you'd have problems with loads of other pokemon if that's what you're talking about. (Voltorb and spheal??? CLONEZZ)
    Dude a large part of that post was sarcasm, hence the quotes I used for the word clones and was meant to point out the flaws in other users arguments calling the gen 5 pokemon clones. Dragalge and Aromatisse are among my top favorite Pokemon of any generation, Aromatisse IS even my favorite pokemon now, still Dragalge and Kingdra are both inspired by the Leafy Sea Dragon, proofing that the same species can lead to vastly different and awesome pokemon. The other user called Raltz an Abra clone, to which I merely replied that's about as good an argument as calling, for example, Swirlix and Spirtzee clones of Clefairy and Jigglypuff (who ARE now Fairy and Normal/Fairy)
    Froufrou and Vivillion are gimmic pokemon, Vivillion is nice (and I said I think it's the best design of the three butterflies) but it's just another bug/flying like Butterfree and Beautifly. And a lot of the patterns Vivillion has look very similar (the nordic ones and the marine one are all just basically shades of blue with white spots) Only the Garden, Meadow, Elegant, Modern and River are nice (in my opinion)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangeh View Post
    Uh, who was talking about Gen I...? It didn't have a zillion of anything. It only had 150 pokemon. Everything in Gen I, by pure definition, was unique at the time of release.



    I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, but I actually didn't mind the roggenrola line for what it was. Swoobat was ugly though.



    Again idk why you're picking on Gen I when nobody was talking about it. You're comparing Gen I to Gen V in a topic about Gen VI. I don't like a lot of the Gen I designs either, but people like Gen I for nostalgia, not because it had incredible designs or gameplay. Gen V was undoubtedly trying to recreate Gen I, but I don't think they pulled it off as well as they really could have or should have. Just because they had a normal/flying type available early in R/B/Y shouldn't mean they had to stick a nearly identical one in B/W too. It would be fine if it was the only entry in the series, but they should have had the foresight to say "we should change it up so this pokemon will be relevant in future generations". Why not fletchling or bunnelby for type variety? Gen V just didn't feel as fresh to me as it could or should have.

    Zillion was a word used by the other user, there isn't a 'zillion' of any type of pokemon (yet) It was just hyperbole. I don't have anything against fletchling and bunnelby I'm of the opinion "The more Pokemon the better" Other people started comparing the the generations (specifically 6 and 5), I just pointed out the flaws in them by comparing Gen 1 with it's less then spectacular designs as well. In my opinion the designs have improved vastly over the years and each generation looks better and better than the last.
    Last edited by Orphalesion; 20th June 2014 at 12:01 AM.
    Favorite 5 Pokemon of each generation:
    Gen 1:
    Gen 2:
    Gen 3:
    Gen 4:
    Gen 5: (Best Gen)
    Gen 6: Gogoat, Aegislash, Aromatisse, Dragalge, Aurorus

  2. #527
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orphalesion View Post
    Dude a large part of that post was sarcasm, hence the quotes I used for the word clones and was meant to point out the flaws in other users arguments calling the gen 5 pokemon clones.
    The Gen V pokemon were clones. They were openly trying to replicate Gen I. If you compare Gen I and Gen V, it's interesting to see that the major changes had to do with the faults in Gen I - namely, not enough good bug or ghost pokemon, and an obvious absence of dark/steel types because those didn't exist. Other than that, they really didn't put as much fresh faces out there as they could have. It's literally just pidgey, rattata, geodude, zubat, etc. with yes obviously slightly different characteristics and different sprites, but I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a better way to go about this concept. Why not put ducklett in the first route? Why bore us with another normal/flying line? There were certainly some great and unique Gen V pokemon, but I found more of them to be completely irrelevant/forgotten in Gen VI, which is a shame.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orphalesion View Post
    Froufrou and Vivillion are gimmic pokemon, Vivillion is nice (and I said I think it's the best design of the three butterflies) but it's just another bug/flying like Butterfree and Beautifly. And a lot of the patterns Vivillion has look very similar (the nordic ones and the marine one are all just basically shades of blue with white spots) Only the Garden, Meadow, Elegant, Modern and River are nice (in my opinion)
    Furfrou is a gimmick pokemon. Vivillon is not. Gimmick pokemon typically are single-stage pokemon, have shallow movesets, unique abilities, poor viability, and are there to introduce some sort of new concept. Think minun (double battles), kecleon (abilities), combee (gender differences)... that being said, I've seen a lot more people make good use of furfrou over audino for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orphalesion View Post
    Zillion was a word used by the other user, there isn't a 'zillion' of any type of pokemon (yet) It was just hyperbole. I don't have anything against fletchling and bunnelby I'm of the opinion "The more Pokemon the better" Other people started comparing the the generations (specifically 6 and 5), I just pointed out the flaws in them by comparing Gen 1 with it's less then spectacular designs as well. In my opinion the designs have improved vastly over the years and each generation looks better and better than the last.
    Yeah, they've improved for the most part. I didn't like the Gen V designs or concepts, but if you liked them then they've succeeded in some demographic that isn't me, I suppose.

    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    Poison Friend Safari - Seviper, Garbodor, & Whirlipede
    Central Kalos Dex COMPLETED 03/09/2014 / Coastal Kalos Dex COMPLETED 05/04/2014 / Mountain Kalos Dex COMPLETED 05/11/2014
    ~ ~ ~
    [718/718]
    NATIONAL DEX COMPLETED! - Thanks to all who helped!
    -06/17/2014-

  3. #528
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Canada froze
    Posts
    6,631

    Default

    The Gen V pokemon were clones. They were openly trying to replicate Gen I. If you compare Gen I and Gen V, it's interesting to see that the major changes had to do with the faults in Gen I - namely, not enough good bug or ghost pokemon, and an obvious absence of dark/steel types because those didn't exist. Other than that, they really didn't put as much fresh faces out there as they could have. It's literally just pidgey, rattata, geodude, zubat, etc. with yes obviously slightly different characteristics and different sprites, but I find it hard to believe that there wasn't a better way to go about this concept. Why not put ducklett in the first route? Why bore us with another normal/flying line? There were certainly some great and unique Gen V pokemon, but I found more of them to be completely irrelevant/forgotten in Gen VI, which is a shame.
    They weren't all clones, only a small percentage of them was a simple homage to the Kanto Pokémon, the Pokémon being the Roggenrola, Woobat, Timburr, Tympole, Trubbish, Frillish and maybe the Foongus lines along with Audino. That's only eighteen out of the 156 Pokémon. Before one goes "but Patrat is a rip-off of something and so is Pidove", you could literally make the same argument for gens II-IV with there generic early route critters. I mean at least they tried to make Unfezant stand out with its drastic gender differences, even if it is a step down from Staraptor in terms of battle usage (although the former did get Night Slash and a boosted Attack to boot this gen). Any other silly comparisons like Ducklett-to-Wingull is just nonsense.

    The reason they were also included to fill the niches of Zubat, Starly, etc because as said two-three pages ago, it was to show how Unova was visually and distinctively different from the other regions. Even then they introduced new cave beings like Klink and Tynamo for example; it wasn't just "the region with caves full of Woobat and Roggenrola" and Chargestone Cave is a great example because aside from Boldore, the rest were new cave Pokémon one wouldn't usually expect.

    Why can't the Pokémon world have more than one Pokémon based off of the same animal just like how our world has different kinds of birds, snakes, etc with some animals being exclusive to a country like how Unova has it's own bat like Kanto?
    Last edited by Dragalge; 20th June 2014 at 2:47 PM.

  4. #529
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragalge View Post
    They weren't all clones, only a small percentage of them was a simple homage to the Kanto Pokémon, the Pokémon being the Roggenrola, Woobat, Timburr, Tympole, and Frillish lines along with Audino.
    Honestly, they really don't even seemlike homages. Frillish/Jellicent seemed simple way too different from Tentacool and Tentacruel. Same with Woobat and Zubat, I wasn't surprised they used a new battle species for caves either. Bats do inhabit caves. Aside from Audino, who might loosely be a homage to Chansey, I didn't really feel like many of the Unova Pokemon were homages. Roggenrola could be seen as a stand-in for Geodude.

  5. #530
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragalge View Post
    They weren't all clones, only a small percentage of them was a simple homage to the Kanto Pokémon, the Pokémon being the Roggenrola, Woobat, Timburr, Tympole, Trubbish, Frillish and maybe the Foongus lines along with Audino. That's only eighteen out of the 156 Pokémon. Before one goes "but Patrat is a rip-off of something and so is Pidove", you could literally make the same argument for gens II-IV with there generic early route critters. I mean at least they tried to make Unfezant stand out with its drastic gender differences, even if it is a step down from Staraptor in terms of battle usage (although the former did get Night Slash and a boosted Attack to boot this gen). Any other silly comparisons like Ducklett-to-Wingull is just nonsense.
    You can make the same argument for Gen III, but not gens II and IV. Gen IV also had gender differences for staraptor (which is a better pokemon overall), and Bibarel was normal/water. Noctowl was there for the day/night thing and was a special attacker (rare for a normal/flying type). Furret was similar to raticate, sure, but it was before the generic normal type became stale and it could do cool things like learn surf. xD


    Quote Originally Posted by Dragalge View Post
    The reason they were also included to fill the niches of Zubat, Starly, etc because as said two-three pages ago, it was to show how Unova was visually and distinctively different from the other regions. Even then they introduced new cave beings like Klink and Tynamo for example; it wasn't just "the region with caves full of Woobat and Roggenrola" and Chargestone Cave is a great example because aside from Boldore, the rest were new cave Pokémon one wouldn't usually expect.
    Chargestone cave was actually what I was thinking of when I said they did have some unique pokemon. When I think of Gen V pokemon that stood out, I'm thinking ferrothorn, excadrill, galvantula.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragalge View Post
    Why can't the Pokémon world have more than one Pokémon based off of the same animal just like how our world has different kinds of birds, snakes, etc with some animals being exclusive to a country like how Unova has it's own bat like Kanto?
    They certainly can... I just also want some unique gameplay out of it, which I felt Gen V didn't deliver nearly as well as Gen VI. Although I didn't like the majority of the Gen V designs, that's unfortunately not my main issue with the Gen V pokemon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Honestly, they really don't even seemlike homages. Frillish/Jellicent seemed simple way too different from Tentacool and Tentacruel. Same with Woobat and Zubat, I wasn't surprised they used a new battle species for caves either. Bats do inhabit caves. Aside from Audino, who might loosely be a homage to Chansey, I didn't really feel like many of the Unova Pokemon were homages. Roggenrola could be seen as a stand-in for Geodude.
    Bats inhabit caves, sure. They made the design a fair bit different, too. Swoobat looks far more bulky than crobat... but it isn't. Their stats are nearly identical. They evolve to their final form in the same way, too - friendship. Swoobat has poorer defensive typing, so... what's the point? Dark-type moves were everywhere in B/W.

    Gigalith has high attack and defense and evolves via trade. So does Golem, except Golem's typing outclasses it.

    Audino - normal type that gives a high EXP yield. So does chansey - except chansey both evolves and its unique stat distribution outclasses audino who fails to stand out at anything, really.

    I could keep going.

    My point is while these pokemon would have been fine if this was Gen I, it isn't, and they were outclassed as soon as they were introduced. So why introduce them? Why not make them different so that they could compete viably with the next generation?
    Last edited by Tangeh; 20th June 2014 at 6:14 PM.

    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    Poison Friend Safari - Seviper, Garbodor, & Whirlipede
    Central Kalos Dex COMPLETED 03/09/2014 / Coastal Kalos Dex COMPLETED 05/04/2014 / Mountain Kalos Dex COMPLETED 05/11/2014
    ~ ~ ~
    [718/718]
    NATIONAL DEX COMPLETED! - Thanks to all who helped!
    -06/17/2014-

  6. #531
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tangeh View Post
    Bats inhabit caves, sure. They made the design a fair bit different, too. Swoobat looks far more bulky than crobat... but it isn't. Their stats are nearly identical. They evolve to their final form in the same way, too - friendship. Swoobat has poorer defensive typing, so... what's the point? Dark-type moves were everywhere in B/W.

    Gigalith has high attack and defense and evolves via trade. So does Golem, except Golem's typing outclasses it.

    Audino - normal type that gives a high EXP yield. So does chansey - except chansey both evolves and its unique stat distribution outclasses audino who fails to stand out at anything, really.

    I could keep going.

    My point is while these pokemon would have been fine if this was Gen I, it isn't, and they were outclassed as soon as they were introduced. So why introduce them? Why not make them different so that they could compete viably with the next generation?
    You do realize not everyone plays Pokemon for its competitive aspects, especially younger children. I certainly don't play through in-game competitively, I play competitively post-game where EV training and IV breeding is more accessible and tend to just focus on having a nice challenge and catching whatever cute Pokeymanz I come across. If they stopped making Pokemon because they were "outclassed" we wouldn't have many new Pokemon at all, because competitive play though important to me, isn't everything. Audino is a Normal-type Pokemon but can be found everywhere in Unova, unlike the more rare and elusive Chansey you can only find in the Safari Zone.

    Chansey is clearly based on the concept of motherhood, what with it having an egg. As for Crobat, it has three stages, not two. It evolves via friendship like Swoobat, but with Swoobat the friendship mechanic ties into its appearance and idea, what with it being a heart-nosed bat hence its name, "Kokoromori"(heart). Meanwhile, Crobat was clearly given its evolution via the friendship mechanic due to them needing to showcase a new forme of evolution. It isn't as if the Pokemon have the same direct typing and species origin. Also do keep in-mind Crobat was introduced at a later generation, if they really were making an attempt at mirroring the early gen would Swoobat logically had gotten another evolution in Kalos?

    Using competitive aspects as your main selling point of the argument falls short because in the grand scheme of things a Pokemon's weighing on the competitive scale doesn't really determine whether GF decides to concept it or not. If your ideals rung true then the likes of Vivillion wouldn't exist. I'm not one to go on impossible missions in discussions, but you're not really looking at these species objectively. You're looking at them from a black and white area. Seeing a two bats with the successor bat being weaker doesn't make said successor bat a clone of its predecessor and I doubt GF takes that into account in the concepting process. Especially when species have a wider margin then just dog, dog, dog, there are poodles, rottweilers and retrievers.

  7. #532
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    You do realize not everyone plays Pokemon for its competitive aspects, especially younger children. I certainly don't play through in-game competitively, I play competitively post-game where EV training and IV breeding is more accessible and tend to just focus on having a nice challenge and catching whatever cute Pokeymanz I come across. If they stopped making Pokemon because they were "outclassed" we wouldn't have many new Pokemon at all, because competitive play though important to me, isn't everything.
    preach. it would be incredibly sad if Pokemon were created based solely on competitive value. the metagame is great and a lot of fun for a lot of people - but it isn't everything. I generally pick my personal favorites based on design, not competitive value.

  8. #533
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    You do realize not everyone plays Pokemon for its competitive aspects, especially younger children. I certainly don't play through in-game competitively, I play competitively post-game where EV training and IV breeding is more accessible and tend to just focus on having a nice challenge and catching whatever cute Pokeymanz I come across. If they stopped making Pokemon because they were "outclassed" we wouldn't have many new Pokemon at all, because competitive play though important to me, isn't everything. Audino is a Normal-type Pokemon but can be found everywhere in Unova, unlike the more rare and elusive Chansey you can only find in the Safari Zone.

    Chansey is clearly based on the concept of motherhood, what with it having an egg. As for Crobat, it has three stages, not two. It evolves via friendship like Swoobat, but with Swoobat the friendship mechanic ties into its appearance and idea, what with it being a heart-nosed bat hence its name, "Kokoromori"(heart). Meanwhile, Crobat was clearly given its evolution via the friendship mechanic due to them needing to showcase a new forme of evolution. It isn't as if the Pokemon have the same direct typing and species origin. Also do keep in-mind Crobat was introduced at a later generation, if they really were making an attempt at mirroring the early gen would Swoobat logically had gotten another evolution in Kalos?

    Using competitive aspects as your main selling point of the argument falls short because in the grand scheme of things a Pokemon's weighing on the competitive scale doesn't really determine whether GF decides to concept it or not. If your ideals rung true then the likes of Vivillion wouldn't exist. I'm not one to go on impossible missions in discussions, but you're not really looking at these species objectively. You're looking at them from a black and white area. Seeing a two bats with the successor bat being weaker doesn't make said successor bat a clone of its predecessor and I doubt GF takes that into account in the concepting process. Especially when species have a wider margin then just dog, dog, dog, there are poodles, rottweilers and retrievers.
    I don't think you're getting my point... I only started playing competitively a couple months ago and had these viewpoints long before then.

    Why make a forgettable rock line when you could make it rock/fire with a good physical attack stat, for example? This wouldn't unbalance the game. It would be fresh. It would be more fun as a player who has played the series before, and I don't think a newcomer would look at it and say "why not just rock?". It could continue to the next gen without people forgetting about it. Even the starters evolved into things we've seen before - what happened to empoleon? :/

    This is exactly what was done with most of the Gen VI pokemon. They felt new, fresh, unique. Might I add that vivillon and its line were the only bug types introduced in Gen VI? (Vivillon is one of my favourite sweepers competitively btw so that point didn't resonate with me at all lol). As I said a few pages back, they added a lot of fun things with all of the pokemon with generic types. They also added mega-evolution, which mostly just helped things that didn't need help lol but did give a few of the more forgotten 'mons the spotlight and I have no doubt that they will continue adding them in OR/AS for this purpose. They added the fairy-type, because the formula really needed a bit of switching after the generics of Gen V.

    I guess if the thing you value the most in pokemon is the diversity of the sprites, then you would appreciate the sheer amount of pokemon released in Gen V, sure. And yes, audino worked fine in-game. They ALL worked fine in game - in B/W / B2/W2 (I'm just assuming on the latter as I've never bothered playing it) at least. I'm talking about Gen V pokemon in the grand scheme of things.

    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258
    Poison Friend Safari - Seviper, Garbodor, & Whirlipede
    Central Kalos Dex COMPLETED 03/09/2014 / Coastal Kalos Dex COMPLETED 05/04/2014 / Mountain Kalos Dex COMPLETED 05/11/2014
    ~ ~ ~
    [718/718]
    NATIONAL DEX COMPLETED! - Thanks to all who helped!
    -06/17/2014-

  9. #534
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Well think about it, this is the pokemon company's first 3d pokemon game, they probably weren't used to adding these new graphics. There's so much they have to do, make 3d models for over 700 pokemon, make animations for moves, make 3d players and npcs. So they probably didn't have time to add in many new pokemon, I'm kind of ok with it, as it didn't bother me. Plus they can still add new pokemon as mystery gifts any time, such as diance.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6624-1567
    Credit to Overkill for the great banner!

  10. #535
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    57

    Default

    I've always had a head canon that Kalos had so few native species because the ultimate weapon killed them off, leaving only a few to survive. The other Pokemon came alongside humans and helped populate the region over time.
    Back to Hoenn? Hope they remember us!

  11. #536
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hi everyone
    When I first heard there was only going to be 69 new pokemon i laughed "that cant be right its a joke" i thought but sad to say it is very true,they gave us some of all the gens to kinda make up for it but i really wish i could have saw more native Kalos pokemon not ones i have caught and trained before.

    The Ultimate weapon theory could be very feasible and thats why we didnt get that many new ones or the fact in some way they gave us a little more in the way of the mega evolved forms of some fan favorites.

    All i know is Hoen had better have something more then what we got here most of us i bet have always wanted a upgraded version of ruby and sapphire and now we are getting it
    Shawny, Steel, Klang, Mawile, Excadrill, 2122-7711-7006, @BlankMinds

  12. #537
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Draycen View Post
    I've always had a head canon that Kalos had so few native species because the ultimate weapon killed them off, leaving only a few to survive. The other Pokemon came alongside humans and helped populate the region over time.
    Kalos has a lot of native species. Newly-introduced =/= Native to the region. The war flashbacks show us that Pokémon such as Abomasnow, Rhydon, Golurk, Salamence, Weavile, etc. were all present in the Kalos region before the Weapon went off, so we can assume that those Pokémon are native to Kalos as well. The Weapon is not responsible for the introduction of only 72 new Pokémon in XY. Smart business decisions are.
    My New 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Simply PM me if you want to add my code.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  13. #538
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A Number from 0 to 100?
    Posts
    358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    The way the developers undoubtedly see it, and the way I see it is that, even though it's a new feature and they have the same dex number, Mega Evolutions are in essence a new Pokémon.

    Think about it:
    Brand new designs
    New types, stats, abilities

    As such, when you add the 30 Mega Evolutions to the 71 new Pokémon, you get 101, which is just above Gen 2 in the amount of Pokémon.

    Now I know they technically don't count, but they definitely factored into the developmental and design process as well as working out balance as new Pokémon.
    My thoughts exactly. If these Mega Evolutions were present within any other generation then it would be considered of that generation. For example, Gallade is a Sinnoh Pokemon despite the fact that it's evolutionary line was introduced a generation earlier. So, I consider Mega Evolutions Kalos evolutions. Sure, it's a temporary evolution but an evolution regardless.
    Pokemon X: 1435 - 4013 - 1487 (,,)

    I am searching for the following Pokemon
    (Modest), (Modest), (Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Jolly/Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Modest), (Jolly/Adamant)

    I can provide you with the following Pokemon…
    (Timid), (Jolly), (Timid), (Rash), (Bold), (Careful), (Relaxed with Seismic Toss).

    I’m also offering a legit Shiny Foongus. Looking for a good natured shiny in return!

  14. #539

    Default

    Not exactly. Mega Evolutions have a lot of restrictions, like they have to be 100 higher in total base stat, have the same movepool, a similar design, and the same name. So they're more like a form of the Pokemon than a new one, like Basculin and Meowstic. If you were to count Megas as different Pokemon, in my opinion, all forms that are not just cosmetic could count as different Pokemon.
    This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

  15. #540

    Default

    Kalos may have not introduced many Pokemon, but there are a lot of new mechanics, like megas, 3D graphics, fairy, etc. which are also new ideas.
    And I'm pretty sure Game Freak is running out of ideas, since there were already 649 Pokemon before Kalos.
    Last edited by TurtwigAndSquirtle; 8th July 2014 at 3:18 PM.
    FC: 0920-1268-9628. In-game name is Max. Friend Safari is Pidgey, Woobat, and Hawlucha.
    My trade shop is open!


    Ruby and Sapphire -> FireRed and LeafGreen
    Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire -> WaterBlue? ___XD? ___Colloseum?!?
    Strange Souvenir -> Australia.
    Couriway Hotel: "I hear there is a waterfall that flows backward somewhere in the world!" -> Australia.
    Japan (Asia), North America, Europe -> Australia.
    7th gen is in Australia!!!!!!!

  16. #541
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada, Quebec.
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    I think it would be pretty cool if they made new games, in new regions, with new mechanics, new features, etc., except that there wouldn't be any new Pokémon, they would be choosing several Pokémon from the 6 Gens. and making a different regional Pokédex out of those.
    That way they could focus more on the other features rather than spending time thinking of new Pokémon to create.

    Also, if they keep making more Pokémon, then eventually there will be 1000, 2000, then filling up the National Pokédex would be even more of a pain.

  17. #542
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtwigAndSquirtle View Post
    Kalos may have not introduced many Pokemon, but there are a lot of new mechanics, like megas, 3D graphics, fairy, etc. which are also new ideas.
    And I'm pretty sure Game Freak is running out of ideas, since there were already 649 Pokemon before Kalos.
    What does the number of Pokemon have to do with whether or not they're out of ideas? Seeing as they have since added another 72 Pokemon to that previous total, I'd argue that we have 72 pieces of evidence to indicate that they are not out of ideas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingouin7 View Post
    I think it would be pretty cool if they made new games, in new regions, with new mechanics, new features, etc., except that there wouldn't be any new Pokémon, they would be choosing several Pokémon from the 6 Gens. and making a different regional Pokédex out of those.
    That way they could focus more on the other features rather than spending time thinking of new Pokémon to create.

    Also, if they keep making more Pokémon, then eventually there will be 1000, 2000, then filling up the National Pokédex would be even more of a pain.
    I don't know about future games with no new Pokemon, but future games maintaining Gen VI's lower tally doesn't bother me.

  18. #543
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingouin7 View Post
    I think it would be pretty cool if they made new games, in new regions, with new mechanics, new features, etc., except that there wouldn't be any new Pokémon, they would be choosing several Pokémon from the 6 Gens. and making a different regional Pokédex out of those.
    That way they could focus more on the other features rather than spending time thinking of new Pokémon to create.

    Also, if they keep making more Pokémon, then eventually there will be 1000, 2000, then filling up the National Pokédex would be even more of a pain.
    Yeah....NO.

    Pokemon is about variety so I would sure as heck not buy a new game without any new pokemon. I see no point in playing with the same ones over and over and over again.

    Also, why bother filling the National Dex? I haven't filled it since Gen 2, so I really hope that some day we'll have 2000 pokemon.
    Favorite 5 Pokemon of each generation:
    Gen 1:
    Gen 2:
    Gen 3:
    Gen 4:
    Gen 5: (Best Gen)
    Gen 6: Gogoat, Aegislash, Aromatisse, Dragalge, Aurorus

  19. #544
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orphalesion View Post
    Pokemon is about variety so I would sure as heck not buy a new game without any new pokemon. I see no point in playing with the same ones over and over and over again.
    Uhhhhh maybe 'cause the old ones are still completely and perfectly viable and have plenty to offer? You don't buy a new pair of scissors if you've only used your current ones once.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orphalesion View Post
    Also, why bother filling the National Dex? I haven't filled it since Gen 2, so I really hope that some day we'll have 2000 pokemon.
    Shiny Charm?

    And that sexy diploma.
    My New 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Simply PM me if you want to add my code.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  20. #545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Uhhhhh maybe 'cause the old ones are still completely and perfectly viable and have plenty to offer? You don't buy a new pair of scissors if you've only used your current ones once.
    Which doesn't really have anything to do with anything. From the very first step, the concept of new monsters in every generation has been an indefatigable staple of the franchise. It's as much a part of Pokémon as are the myriad staples of a Mario or a Zelda title. There's simply no rationale or logic that would justify a new generation of games that don't introduce new Pokémon.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  21. #546
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada, Quebec.
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    On the other hand, one could not possibly use "it has always been that way" as a rational argument in order to justify why it should remain that way; turns out it's a logical fallacy.
    Last edited by Pingouin7; 8th July 2014 at 10:06 PM.

  22. #547
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,862

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Which doesn't really have anything to do with anything. From the very first step, the concept of new monsters in every generation has been an indefatigable staple of the franchise. It's as much a part of Pokémon as are the myriad staples of a Mario or a Zelda title. There's simply no rationale or logic that would justify a new generation of games that don't introduce new Pokémon.
    I wasn't suggesting that there should or even could be a new Generation with no new Pokémon. I was questioning the logic that there is "no point in playing with the same ones over and over and over again."
    My New 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Simply PM me if you want to add my code.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  23. #548
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,236

    Default

    There is no such thing as a "lack of Kalos Pokémon". 70+ new monsters (+ megas) for a new generation is plenty of enough and if the directors of the series care one bit about it, they will never introduce 100~150 Pokémon in a new generation again.

  24. #549
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Canada, Quebec.
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Maybe, but so far the lowest amount of Pokémon introduced in a new Gen. was 100 in G2. Afterwards, G3 introduced 135, G4 107, G5 156 (I'm not going to count G1 since they weren't really adding to the list of currently existing Pokémon back then.)

    Going from 156 new Pokémon in G5 down to ~70 new ones in G6 feels like a huge step down for many. Personally, I liked making teams that contained only Pokémon from that Gen., but the lower amount of G6 Pokémon didn't really give me a lot of space to work with. Kinda like in Diamond/Pearl, where the only Fire-type Pokémon you could get were Infernape and Rapidash.

  25. #550
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Bark Town, Johto
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingouin7 View Post
    Maybe, but so far the lowest amount of Pokémon introduced in a new Gen. was 100 in G2. Afterwards, G3 introduced 135, G4 107, G5 156 (I'm not going to count G1 since they weren't really adding to the list of currently existing Pokémon back then.)

    Going from 156 new Pokémon in G5 down to ~70 new ones in G6 feels like a huge step down for many. Personally, I liked making teams that contained only Pokémon from that Gen., but the lower amount of G6 Pokémon didn't really give me a lot of space to work with. Kinda like in Diamond/Pearl, where the only Fire-type Pokémon you could get were Infernape and Rapidash.
    Bare in mind the original 151 were actually 190 to start with.

    There is no LACK of Pokemon in the Kalos region but rather a lack necessity by GF to make an insane amount and still leave some design options open to them if they ever need it. There's 721 Pokemon and trust me when I say that is far more than enough. GF are playing it smart they're rekindling all the classics by upgrading and revamping them before releasing another title which saves them the hassle of having to come up with a mega ton load more ridiculous monster designs while also appeasing the long time fans.

    As for the in-game reason as to why there are so few Pokemon I'd postulate that the amount of Ghost Types in the games and the history of Yveltal and Xerneas would imply a massive amount of casualties in the region could quite easily have killed off the majority of them. Though like with many Empires the other King (the one who ruled the Parfum Palace) restored the empire to it's former glory by conquering many other regions and created trade across the world which is why there are so many Pokemon from other regions in the game. What strikes me about the Palace is the fact that besides Zekrom and Resiram there are also statues of Bisharp, Palpitoad and Golurk spread throughout it which has a tie-in with unova.
    Pokemon Y
    Friend Code: 4742-7095-3187

    Badges: 4
    Current Team: Charizard Y, Chesnaught, Greninja, Tyrantrum & egg

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •