Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

Honestly, I don't mind the lesser quantity of new Pokemon. It makes it easier to remember all of them, whereas in Unova, I still don't know some of them (mainly because I wasn't too interested in Gen. V)

...Does anyone notice Kalos never had its own legendary trio?

D:

Still kind of bums me out to this day roflmao
    Oh well. :P Maybe i'll make my own fan-made one for the funzerz...

And make them all the fairy type too muwahahahahaha
    Riku from kingdom hearts is so hot :P

^ rawr :P ITS A LION ADD THING. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Trioxhydre View Post
    ...Does anyone notice Kalos never had its own legendary trio?
    Lots of people have noticed, although technically it does have one; it just isn't non-mascot.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Yeah the secondary legendary trio as per tradition was not missed for me. After the beasts they got a bit dull.

Though, for agruments sake, you could say that this gen is missing out on it because last gen had two sets of secondary legendary trios (The Musketeers would be third tier right?).
    Friend Code: 4597-0393-3118
    Pokémon in My Safari:
    PM me first before adding!

I think this time round GameFreak/Nintendo were really aiming for quality over quantity for Generation VI. Yeah, we didn't get many Pokemon at all this time round, but out of the ones we did get many had really interesting abilities, type combinations, etc. And who could forget Mega Evolutions and the Pokemon from previous games that have been retconned to be part Fairy-type? They count too (sorta).

I was like many Pokemon fans when I heard the news there'd only be around 70 new Pokemon. I went absolutely ape with fanboy rage. I've come to terms with it now. The purpose of X&Y was to put Pokemon into the third dimension, as well as introducing mechanics such as player customisation, Mega Evolution and Super Training, Fairy-types - things that will be staple mechanics to future games - not to introduce another 100+ monsters to the game.
    Proud Poison-type Club member!

"Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"

LOOKING FOR A DITTO FRIEND SAFARI. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE, THANKS!!

Lets say they didn't have the lack in Pokemon, how much longer would the games go for? Would Gen 7 be the last? Think about it, if they shorten the list of Pokemon, they can stretch the game line longer. So what if this gen didn't have as much as last gen? Your still getting new Pokemon to play around with. I wonder if the lack this gen will be less or more next gen and how people are going to react to it.

I agree with the quality over quantity argument. In my opinion if there are less Pokemon, they are all more memorable. I immediately took to almost every kalos pokemon (with the exception of klefki, who i have grown to like). And in the bigger regions like Unova, i felt many pokemon were just like "fillers" to me. So essentially i dont get bothered by this supposed "lack" of pokemon.
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

I still consider that poodle dog thing with the haircut gimmick to be the sole filler of the Kalos region. I mean, come on!, the most interesting thing about it is the haircut gimmick!
    Pokémon in My Safari:

^They always had a pokemon of that nature. Something with a unique characteristic that really made it stand out. Ditto, Smeargle, Castform, Chatot - they are all not the best Pokemon to use, but do add a little fun & randomness to battles. Not sure about the Unova equivalent - perhaps the Cinccino in the Hidden Grotto? Anyway, despite the low number of Pokemons, it's good that they still managed to add one this time.

Cinccino is an awesome Pokemon lmao. He is by no means a gimmick Pokemon lol.

But yah, in general Gen V's Pokemon were absolutely horrible in comparison to Gen VI's. I agree that many were filler and lacked uniqueness - it was if they were there just so that they could fill their '150 entirely new Pokemon' quota. At the time I was like "YEAH AWESOME!" but then realised that we had been given Pokemon like Conkeldurr..and about 58 billion legendary Pokemon.

I'm a massive Poison-type fan yeah? In Unova we got three Poison-type lines. We got a Poison/Grass (Vileploom copy), Poison/Bug (complete rip off of Drapion's design) and a mono Poison (pff, Koffing will be the only one of those for me). Snore. I've seen it all before. What did we get in Kalos? Just one Poison-type evolution line, but the end result was a freaking POISON DRAGON SEAHORSE THING!!

For me, I got all excited for various reasons and was thinking we might get 200 new Pokémon this time around, then, I found out only 69 new Pokémon +3 secret ones so 72 Pokémon total. I felt like we only got a half gen tbh or like B/W got some of 6 gen or more so that the devs thought we got more than enough last gen so they could reduce the number and be lazy about it. :P Even the mega evos don't really count in the pokedex even if there are 3-34 including the 2 secret ones. I DO feel as though the lack of new Pokémon, as well as lack of stuff to do aside from "catch em all" after you beat the game was a let down, an act of laziness and a disappointment. I can only hope the next "region" and "gen" will be much better. That said, at least X/Y gave us the most touching and imo maybe best story ever. (Along with many other awesome stuff) Also, the below I couldn't agree more with.

Quote Originally Posted by Azer View Post
    My final word for Kalos is: "Good, but it can be better".
    FC: 4682-9633-0205 FS Electric & Pokémon are: Emolga, Helioptile & Galvantula
    Mm'd a female 4IV Shiny (was hopefully for a male 5IV one) at 159th egg/160 eggs Mm'd a shiny at 183rd egg/185 eggs
    No promo atm. Keep an eye on my shop/sig for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclair~ View Post
    For me, I got all excited for various reasons and was thinking we might get 200 new Pokémon this time around, then, I found out only 69 new Pokémon +3 secret ones so 72 Pokémon total. I felt like we only got a half gen tbh or like B/W got some of 6 gen or more so that the devs thought we got more than enough last gen so they could reduce the number and be lazy about it. :P Even the mega evos don't really count in the pokedex even if there are 3-34 including the 2 secret ones. I DO feel as though the lack of new Pokémon, as well as lack of stuff to do aside from "catch em all" after you beat the game was a let down, an act of laziness and a disappointment. I can only hope the next "region" and "gen" will be much better. That said, at least X/Y gave us the most touching and imo maybe best story ever. (Along with many other awesome stuff) Also, the below I couldn't agree more with.
    I'm in disagreement with everything you've said lol. Not being nasty and you're entitled to you opinion but I just don't agree.

You said that the developers got lazy or stole ideas for Pokemon from Gen VI to put in Gen V? I'll say it again: CONKELDURR. Lol. Gen V had some of the most hideous and overcomplicated designs of the entire franchise. I mean, I'm sorry to any Unova Starter fans out there, but Serperior and Samurott are by far the WORST looking Starters we've ever received, and they're sorta ambassadors for the Generation. Not good.

Gen VI's Pokemon had pretty nice looking, original designs. Even Pokemon that people don't really like such as Klefki weren't half as bad as most of the Pokemon from the Unova Region. Like I said, Gen VI was quality over quantity.

I actually agree somewhat to when you said there was no post game content to really speak of, other than going online battling and stuff, which is REALLY FUN! I think that when we inevitably get Pokemon Z there will be a Battle Frontier-type thing to keep us occupied for a bit longer. But I do know what you mean. If you're not really into competitive battling and stuff I can see that you'd get bored of the game once completing the main story quest.

I've explained my slight dislike for Gen V, but there's one thing I did like with BW/B2W2. That was the story. It just had so much scope. It was pretty epic, and I felt myself questioning Team Plasma, like, they could have actually been onto something. Battling Pokemon is somewhat cruel if you think about it. I don't feel X&Y's storyline lived up to the past game's storyline. Yeah, it had the potential to be absolutely terrifying as well as touching. Team Flare's objective to cause the apocalypse is a terrifying prospect, but it wasn't really realised until the very end of the game.

The story with AZ and his lost Floette was touching at the end, but he was introduced at the last second of the story. How many times did we see him throughout our adventure before the final climax? Once? Twice? If they had explained the lore about this king fella a little better and introduced him sooner then we would have gave more of a crap. There was no build-up to the reward of him being reunited with his friend so it just didn't have the impact if should have had. Overall the story felt a little tacked-on.

Then there's Mega Evolution. Love the game mechanic but hated the story element to it. It was brought to us as some massive mystery and the sole purpose for us going out on our Pokemon journey. The whole thing was solved about a third of the way through the game and after that the story completely lost momentum.

But don't get me wrong, the story is my only complaint about X&Y.

Getting really off topic as we are meant to be talking about the Kalos Pokedex, so I'll reiterate; quality over quantity.
    Last edited by cagedWINGS; 13th February 2014 at 9:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cagedWINGS View Post
    I'm in disagreement with everything you've said lol. Not being nasty and you're entitled to you opinion but I just don't agree.

You said that the developers got lazy or stole ideas for Pokemon from Gen VI to put in Gen V? I'll say it again: CONKELDURR. Lol. Gen V had some of the most hideous and overcomplicated designs of the entire franchise. I mean, I'm sorry to any Unova Starter fans out there, but Serperior and Samurott are by far the WORST looking Starters we've ever received, and they're sorta ambassadors for the Generation. Not good.
    What I gathered when the starters were first released was that Chesnaught was the bland one, Delphox was the ugly one, and Greninja was the one which people went "Is that its tongue?". The hidden abilities boosted the popularity of Greninja, but that's about it.

Gen VI's Pokemon had pretty nice looking, original designs. Even Pokemon that people don't really like such as Klefki weren't half as bad as most of the Pokemon from the Unova Region. Like I said, Gen VI was quality over quantity.
    That's probably because you don't have to go through the entire story mode with only the new Pokemon. The only generations we had so far that requires us to use only new Pokemon are Gen I and V. For every other generation, you always have some of your favorite Pokemon to fall back on to fill up any team slots. When you can only focus on new Pokemon to build a team, flaws become more apparent and people are more outspoken about it.

Even if you dislike a couple of Gen V's Pokemon design, I highly doubt that you can list enough (which is 84 of them) for Gen VI to have more likeable Pokemon, assuming you like every single one of Gen VI's. And when it comes to typing, I can easily get more options for any single type I'm looking for in Gen V than in Gen VI, other than Fairy (for obvious reasons), and maybe Dragon, since Gen VI managed to squeeze five families out of 72 new pokes.
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 13th February 2014 at 2:02 PM.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

It's easy for me to overlook the tiny kalos dex when the reigon itself is packed to the brim with older Pokemon to the point that I can get over 400 of them running around.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexin' Wishes View Post
    I still consider that poodle dog thing with the haircut gimmick to be the sole filler of the Kalos region. I mean, come on!, the most interesting thing about it is the haircut gimmick!
    Doesn't Furfrou have an ability that doubles its defense? I thought that was rather interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonguetyd View Post
    Doesn't Furfrou have an ability that doubles its defense? I thought that was rather interesting.
    It halves damage from physical-based moves. The ability is decent, but the Pokemon has somewhat mediocre stats.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.

I'm a massive Poison-type fan yeah? In Unova we got three Poison-type lines. We got a Poison/Grass (Vileploom copy), Poison/Bug (complete rip off of Drapion's design) and a mono Poison (pff, Koffing will be the only one of those for me). Snore. I've seen it all before. What did we get in Kalos? Just one Poison-type evolution line, but the end result was a freaking POISON DRAGON SEAHORSE THING!!
    That's just one type. You're completely overlooking the Unova Pokemon that brought type combos we have never seen before like the Sandile line (Ground/Dark), Scraggy line (Dark/Fighting), Ferroseed line (Grass/Steel), Gollet line (Ground/Ghost). And that's not all of them either.

And how is Scolipede a rip off of Drapion? Just because they're both purple? One's a centipede, the other's a scorpion.

Getting really off topic as we are meant to be talking about the Kalos Pokedex, so I'll reiterate; quality over quantity.
    I don't agree with the old "quality over quantity" saying when it comes to Pokemon designs. It's a matter taste. Gen. 4 also has less Pokemon than Gen. 5, but it got a lot of hate, mainly for introducing so many pre-evos and evolved forms of existing Pokemon, to the point of some saying they "ruined" the original Pokemon. Not to mention the people saying Game Freak was "running out of ideas" and being "unoriginal" because of it. But I don't agree with that either. Gen. 4 introduced one of my most favorite Pokemon, Weavile.
    Last edited by SKyLineR32; 13th February 2014 at 2:57 PM.

Haven't read the entire post so apologies if someone's already made this point, but I'm still holding out for a whole bunch of new Pokes to be released in the next game. The backpacker who drops loads of hints about a new region, combined with the Couriway railway line to nowhere make me think that the game was designed specifically to be upgraded.

As for the quality of the design, this argument has been brought up in every generation since Gold and Silver were released, but it applies equally to Gen 1 as well - some Pokemon have great designs, others don't. This has always been the case, and it will always be the case. Then again, opinions about design vary from person to person anyway. I read somebody saying above that they hated Serperior and Samurott's designs - personally I think they look awesome, even if the Pokemon themselves were a bit disappointing.
    3DS friend code 5300 9905 5901
    Friend Safari type: Grass - Quilladin, Tangela and Petilil

My trades:
    Shinies:
    Legendaries:

LF Meloetta. PM me with offers.

Red team:

But yah, in general Gen V's Pokemon were absolutely horrible in comparison to Gen VI's. I agree that many were filler and lacked uniqueness - it was if they were there just so that they could fill their '150 entirely new Pokemon' quota. At the time I was like "YEAH AWESOME!" but then realised that we had been given Pokemon like Conkeldurr..and about 58 billion legendary Pokemon.

Cinccino is actually very much usable with many Multi-Hit moves and Skill Link.

I have to disagree with there being filler pokemon. I never saw any of those in Black and White (also I like Conkeldurr).

Amoonguss is a mushroom. Vileplume is a flower. They're different.
    Drapion is a scorpion. Scolipede is a centipede. They're different.

I was going to suggest Audino, but it just didn't feel right with the rest of the gang. I think Cinccino only looks good on paper with that ability + moves, but it's not that deadly as it seems. I have used it in-game and there have been disappointments. If it doesn't KO the opponent then it'll get KO'd by them, since it's kinda frail. It sort of leaves it to chance - how many turns your moves last, so wouldn't that make it gimmicky?
    Quote Originally Posted by SKyLineR32 View Post
    Gen. 4 also has less Pokemon than Gen. 5, but it got a lot of hate, mainly for introducing so many pre-evos and evolved forms of existing Pokemon, to the point of some saying they "ruined" the original Pokemon. Not to mention the people saying Game Freak was "running out of ideas" and being "unoriginal" because of it.
    This reminded me of a a small theory of mine: Each gen (after gen 1) releases Pokemons that have some relation to the area of study of the professors. So I believe that Game Freak purposely released all those new evolutions in Gen 4 to suit the overall theme, which was of evolution (Prof. Rowan). On the other side, we had Prof. Elm studying breeding, hence why Jhoto is so concerned with breeding & babies/pre-evos. One can say the same about Hoenn, where there was a huge diversity of Pokemons & the Prof. Birch examined habitats. Even the main Hoenn legendaries represented plain forces of nature. Unova's Porf. Juniper studies origins, so maybe that's why they whole bunch of new Pokemons? Finally we have Prof. Sycamore who is interested in Mega Evolutions. So, perhaps the lack of Kalos Pokemons represents his lack of affection towards them! XD

Quote Originally Posted by Ruas View Post
    I was going to suggest Audino, but it just didn't feel right with the rest of the gang. I think Cinccino only looks good on paper with that ability + moves, but it's not that deadly as it seems. I have used it in-game and there have been disappointments. If it doesn't KO the opponent then it'll get KO'd by them, since it's kinda frail. It sort of leaves it to chance - how many turns your moves last, so wouldn't that make it gimmicky?
    With the Skill Link ability, you always hit five times with moves like Bullet Seed and Rock Blast. Add Tail Slap and perhaps U-turn, and you're ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruas View Post
    This reminded me of a a small theory of mine: Each gen (after gen 1) releases Pokemons that have some relation to the area of study of the professors. So I believe that Game Freak purposely released all those new evolutions in Gen 4 to suit the overall theme, which was of evolution (Prof. Rowan). On the other side, we had Prof. Elm studying breeding, hence why Jhoto is so concerned with breeding & babies/pre-evos. One can say the same about Hoenn, where there was a huge diversity of Pokemons & the Prof. Birch examined habitats. Even the main Hoenn legendaries represented plain forces of nature. Unova's Porf. Juniper studies origins, so maybe that's why they whole bunch of new Pokemons? Finally we have Prof. Sycamore who is interested in Mega Evolutions. So, perhaps the lack of Kalos Pokemons represents his lack of affection towards them! XD
    It's not so much a theory but rather a purposeful game design. There's always a need to highlight something new with each generation, so it's no wonder that the 'research' of each gen's professor coincides with the feature of that generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonguetyd View Post
    Sure, I guess but it's still tied to it's hairy gimmick.

Anyways, a big <3 to all the defenders of Gen V, you guys said everything that could be said already. Conkledurr is one of the mainstays of my Gen V team and he is a beast, so I disagree with the hate. It's Muppet face is better than gaining four arms randomly (yes, I'm throwing shade at Machamp).

Quote Originally Posted by venetrix View Post
    Haven't read the entire post so apologies if someone's already made this point, but I'm still holding out for a whole bunch of new Pokes to be released in the next game. The backpacker who drops loads of hints about a new region, combined with the Couriway railway line to nowhere make me think that the game was designed specifically to be upgraded.
    That would be both innovative and kill the franchise. Let's face the new Pokémon are the main reason to get this game (I don't...understand the argument for it's story since they're pretty much all the same and the best one was BW IMHO), so if you can still get new Pokémon in one generation why bother getting a new game?

New Pokémon and New Region just says New Generation IMHO. I would welcome Gen VII being more in vein to Johto (New Region + Post-Game content being the previous Region).
    Pokémon in My Safari:

@Hidden Power: Oh! My bad! I'll stop on the Cinccino now.
    But, yes, you could say it's a purposeful design - that was what I guess I was trying to aim at. Basically, it's not like they're running out of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    What I gathered when the starters were first released was that Chesnaught was the bland one, Delphox was the ugly one, and Greninja was the one which people went "Is that its tongue?". The hidden abilities boosted the popularity of Greninja, but that's about it.
    I kinda liked Chesnaut and Greninja. I took Chespin as my starter this Generation, but that was partially due to having a tradition of always picking a Grass-type starter during my first play throughs, though I do really love Chespin and his evolutions, even the odd and spherical Quilladin. Maybe that's why I had such a problem with Serperior. Its okay, but nothing to write home about really. Tepig is probably my favourite Gen V Starter because Pignite is the bloody cutest Pokemon EVOOOR! But alas, Fire/Fighting Starter syndrome..

I wasn't 'Team Delphox' when the Kalos Starters were released. I don't hate her but she is not one of my favourites by a long stretch. Her typing is good though. Its nice having a Fire/Psychic-type that's not an event legendary or some mode for another Pokemon that's at 50% health.

That's probably because you don't have to go through the entire story mode with only the new Pokemon. The only generations we had so far that requires us to use only new Pokemon are Gen I and V. For every other generation, you always have some of your favorite Pokemon to fall back on to fill up any team slots. When you can only focus on new Pokemon to build a team, flaws become more apparent and people are more outspoken about it.
    It was good seeing some of the old Pokemon return. But I meant the completely new Pokemon that are unique to the Kalos Region. My team consisted of four new Kalos Pokemon. I definitely didn't fall back and rely on old favourites. Those two slots could have been filled by Kalos exclusives but its hard to say no to a Squirtle and Mega Stone when its just handed to you . The other slot belonged to Krookodile, which kids ironic since I'm being viewed as this massive Unova hater right about now!

Even if you dislike a couple of Gen V's Pokemon design, I highly doubt that you can list enough (which is 84 of them) for Gen VI to have more likeable Pokemon, assuming you like every single one of Gen VI's. And when it comes to typing, I can easily get more options for any single type I'm looking for in Gen V than in Gen VI, other than Fairy (for obvious reasons), and maybe Dragon, since Gen VI managed to squeeze five families out of 72 new pokes.
    There are barely any Pokemon in Gen VI that I can say I truly hate. I don't really rate Delphox though I like her typing, and, hm, trying to think of more, I'm not a big fan of Mega Garchomp to be honest?

Its not that I hate the whole of the Unova Pokedex lol, I think you've got the wrong impression. Yeah there were some Pokemon that I really really didn't like in Gen V, like the previously mentioned Conkeldurr, but that goes for every generation to date, even Gen VI (Delphox, remember?).

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast