Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 628

Thread: The Lack of Kalos Pokemon

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    850

    Default

    I see what you guys mean when you say that this generation did quality over quantity.

    And I will admit there are a lot of Pokémon that do look awesome.

    Delphox, Pangoro, Tyrantrum, Aurorus, Aegislash, Greinja and I'm sure some more.

    But really Gen VI is still not my favorite generation, and I honestly can't see how the Pokémon in this generation look better than Pokémon in previous generations.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dead Carolina (North)
    Posts
    473

    Default

    I liked Chestnaught's design, it caught everyone off guard. Who would have ever thought the cute little Chipmunk would turn into this brute?
    Delphox was odd but likeable. Greninja is my fav (Even without Protean) especially since I was team Froakie.

    I also liked how the few species they introduced in Kalos didn't necessarily suck. Honedge can be bred to be this mass murderer. Tyrunt has a decent egg-move pool, larger than most Kalosians. (Which is the only qualm I have with Gen 6, all of the new species have a small egg-movepool, even tinier than Gen 5's species when they were first released. I don't get why, and I hope they'll fix this with the next entry in Gen 6.)
    What is Life's Greatest Illusion?
    Innocence, my brother...

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    I don't remember...
    Posts
    1,340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
    I see what you guys mean when you say that this generation did quality over quantity.

    And I will admit there are a lot of Pokémon that do look awesome.

    Delphox, Pangoro, Tyrantrum, Aurorus, Aegislash, Greinja and I'm sure some more.

    But really Gen VI is still not my favorite generation, and I honestly can't see how the Pokémon in this generation look better than Pokémon in previous generations.
    I agree. They aren't any better looking than any other generation. I think they had to focus more on making the games in 3D rather than adding in a lot of pokemon. All the pokemon had to be redesigned for 3D, so I doubt they wanted 100 or more new pokemon to add to that list.

    Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.



  4. #154
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dead Carolina (North)
    Posts
    473

    Default

    I can understand the small batch considering all of the work behind making 3D renditions of older Pokemon, but I (seriously) hope the next games in this Gen (somehow) introduce another 60-something Pokemon, and X and Y get a 'dex update (Either that, or can still trade Pokemon they have in common but can't trade the new ones over, in which is why I hope for a 'dex update). That would be something unprecedented and unique.
    What is Life's Greatest Illusion?
    Innocence, my brother...

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fitzy909 View Post
    I agree. They aren't any better looking than any other generation. I think they had to focus more on making the games in 3D rather than adding in a lot of pokemon. All the pokemon had to be redesigned for 3D, so I doubt they wanted 100 or more new pokemon to add to that list.
    In that case I apologize, I thought than when people said "quality over quantity" they meant that the Pokémon introduced are better than Pokémon introduced previously.

    But yeah I can see what you mean. I imagine doing 3D models is extremely difficult. Even though I still am in a way disappointed by X/Y, I will admit that the Pokémon themselves are awesome.

    I could get into why I'm disappointed by the new Pokémon games, but since I don't wanna go off topic and this thread is really about the species introduced, I won't.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Macclesfield, UK
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fitzy909 View Post
    I agree. They aren't any better looking than any other generation. I think they had to focus more on making the games in 3D rather than adding in a lot of pokemon. All the pokemon had to be redesigned for 3D, so I doubt they wanted 100 or more new pokemon to add to that list.
    I agree completely. Imagine how much of a ball-ache it would be to model and animate 700+ Pokemon? And that's before you add what people think should have been over 100 new Pokemon. It wouldn't just be animating their 'idle' poses either. Every time a Pokemon uses a specific attack it would have to be animated too. All the character models were new - so no retexturing of models from games such as Battle Revolution or Pokedex 3D - it was all done from scratch. I dabble in 3D character modelling and animation and I can tell you it is no easy feat, and that's with human-type characters and not crazy monsters with three heads and plant leaves growing out of their back!

    My previous posts make it sound like I'm some uber Unova hater. That is really not the case and I get the feeling a few guys have gotten this impression judging by their responses to me. I still like Gen V, and it has some elements and Pokemon designs I actually really like, but it just isn't one of my favourite generations. In fact its possibly my least favourite, but that doesn't mean I hate it.

    Overall it might be because Gen V was too similar to Gen IV (possibly because they were released on the same console? Who knows) in many ways and didn't really push the envelope with new features and stuff. I can't think what Gen V brought to the table that was terribly different from Gen IV to be quite honest. Whilst some of the Unova Pokemon really were creative and had unique typings (like Golurk, Stunfisk, Volcarona, etc) the rest were just "eh" in my opinion.

    And yeah, there's love for Conkeldurr. He might be a beast competitively with the highest Attack of any non-legendary Fighting-type Pokemon (which I do honestly respect as I love competitive battling as much as the next Pokemon fan) but I really don't like his design. Sorry >____<;;.
    Last edited by cagedWINGS; 13th February 2014 at 9:13 PM.
    Proud Poison-type Club member!

    "Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"


    LOOKING FOR A DITTO FRIEND SAFARI. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE, THANKS!!

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    433

    Default

    not crazy monsters with three heads and plant leaves growing out of their back!
    Hmm, sounds like an awesome Tropius evolution. Chlorberus? Get on it Gamefreak!

    And yeah, there's love for Conkeldurr. He might be a beast competitively with the highest Attack of any non-legendary Fighting-type Pokemon (which I do honestly respect as I love competitive battling as much as the next Pokemon fan) but I really don't like his design. Sorry >____<;;.
    Yeah it's a really dumb design, but I find it endearingly stupid. They practically acknowledge how dumb it
    is by almost slipping derp into the name. Most of the 5th gen designs were pretty forgettable though.


    What I gathered when the starters were first released was that Chesnaught was the bland one, Delphox was the ugly one, and Greninja was the one which people went "Is that its tongue?". The hidden abilities boosted the popularity of Greninja, but that's about it.
    Yeah, I was all on board the Froakie train until Greninja was revealed. But I suppose it's my own fault for
    seeing an awesome fakemon for him before hand. Took Fennekin instead. Greninja's design has grown on me
    a little, but I still don't have one. Suppose it's better than the eyesore that is Samurott though.

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Macclesfield, UK
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The King of Ho-oh's View Post
    Hmm, sounds like an awesome Tropius evolution. Chlorberus? Get on it Gamefreak!

    Yeah it's a really dumb design, but I find it endearingly stupid. They practically acknowledge how dumb it
    is by almost slipping derp into the name. Most of the 5th gen designs were pretty forgettable though.

    Yeah, I was all on board the Froakie train until Greninja was revealed. But I suppose it's my own fault for
    seeing an awesome fakemon for him before hand. Took Fennekin instead. Greninja's design has grown on me
    a little, but I still don't have one. Suppose it's better than the eyesore that is Samurott though.

    My statement about the three heads and leves wasn't meant to be taken literally, but you get the picture about what I'm on about at the very least, right?

    I agree with everything you've said here. Its pretty much what I've been trying to tell everyone here for the past few posts :P. Glad someone actually agrees with me and isn't all like "HE DOESN'T LIKE UNOVA??! ATTACK HIM!!"

    Lol.

    Yeah, Conkeldurr's design..it wouldn't be half as bad without those concrete pillars to be honest. Yeah its the Timburr line's gimmick (a very ridiculous gimmick if I'm honest!), but is it just me but are the pillars made to look like a zimmer frame? Maybe that's the point? I dunno.
    Last edited by cagedWINGS; 14th February 2014 at 8:24 AM.
    Proud Poison-type Club member!

    "Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"


    LOOKING FOR A DITTO FRIEND SAFARI. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE, THANKS!!

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cagedWINGS View Post
    Its not that I hate the whole of the Unova Pokedex lol, I think you've got the wrong impression. Yeah there were some Pokemon that I really really didn't like in Gen V, like the previously mentioned Conkeldurr, but that goes for every generation to date, even Gen VI (Delphox, remember?).

    I think it's fair that everyone has Pokemon they like and those they dislike. However, your earlier post mentioned that you prefer quality over quantity, which is something Game Freak never, couldn't, and wouldn't guarantee. We had three generations where there were lesser Pokemon introduced, yet there are people who dislike Gen II, or Gen IV, whenever there is a discussion about Pokemon design. So that assumption definitely doesn't hold.

    And Gen V is a good comparison to Gen VI because we have the biggest and the smallest addition side by side. Even if you hate 50% of Gen V's design, and love 90% (or even 100%) of Gen VI's, you'll still end up with more favorable options in Gen V. So it seems illogical to me that one would wish for a smaller pool of Pokemon with the assumption that you'll get more favorites out of it; it doesn't make arithmetic sense to me. Of course, once you've seen the outcome it's easy to conclude in hindsight that you liking most of the Pokemon in this generation by proposing that it must be a result of having fewer Pokemon added. Until Diggersby and Talonflame got their HA, everyone was ready to overlook the regional rodent and bird because "one is weak like its previous counterparts" and the other is "the mini version of Moltres and Ho-Oh".

    The only thing certain is that Game Freak is always improving their games in every aspect, and I find that they do try to give every Pokemon something useful this generation. But it's more likely a result of experience from previous generations that filler~ish, outclassed Pokemon often receive criticism, and has nothing to do with the quantity.


    Quote Originally Posted by cagedWINGS View Post
    Yeah, Conkeldurr's design..it wouldn't be half as bad without those concrete pillars to be honest. Yeah its the Timburr line's gimmick (a very ridiculous gimmick if I'm honest!), but is it just me but are the pillars made to look like a zimmer frame? Maybe that's the point? I dunno.

    Design-wise, I think that fundamentally every concept could have been an awesome Pokemon. It's usually the execution of the design that failed to live up to the expectation. For example, you think Conkeldurr has bad design, but do you think that a Fighting Pokemon that fights with building materials starting from timber, I-beam girder to concrete pillars is inherently a bad concept? Maybe the Pokemon could've looked better. Maybe the held items could be designed to look more like martial arts weapons. Maybe the ways they hold the items could have looked cooler.

    And on the topic of how 3D graphics might have hindered the quantity added, let's just say that prior to this, there are people who wholeheartedly believed that we won't get 3D Pokemon or player customization because "it's impossible for Game Freak to do that for over 600+ Pokemon, and there's so many player model permutation, and it's pointless etc." Yet we still got an entire game devoted to both aspects, with barely any delay in release schedule. I've always believed that it's really a matter of whether Game Freak has the intention to add whatever amount of Pokemon they wanted.
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 14th February 2014 at 12:47 PM.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Macclesfield, UK
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    I think it's fair that everyone has Pokemon they like and those they dislike. However, your earlier post mentioned that you prefer quality over quantity, which is something Game Freak never, couldn't, and wouldn't guarantee. We had three generations where there were lesser Pokemon introduced, yet there are people who dislike Gen II, or Gen IV, whenever there is a discussion about Pokemon design. So that assumption definitely doesn't hold.

    And Gen V is a good comparison to Gen VI because we have the biggest and the smallest addition side by side. Even if you hate 50% of Gen V's design, and love 90% (or even 100%) of Gen VI's, you'll still end up with more favorable options in Gen V. So it seems illogical to me that one would wish for a smaller pool of Pokemon with the assumption that you'll get more favorites out of it; it doesn't make arithmetic sense to me. Of course, once you've seen the outcome it's easy to conclude in hindsight that you liking most of the Pokemon in this generation by proposing that it must be a result of having fewer Pokemon added. Until Diggersby and Talonflame got their HA, everyone was ready to overlook the regional rodent and bird because "one is weak like its previous counterparts" and the other is "the mini version of Moltres and Ho-Oh".
    If you statistically broke Gen V and Gen VI down into columns with good and bad Pokemon, and Gen V had more good in its column (which is obvious because, like you've already mentioned, Gen V has the most Pokemon and Gen VI has the least) that still doesn't stop me favouring Gen VI over Gen V. It has nothing to do with statistics and has everything to do about taste, lol. That is all I'm saying. That is the sole purpose of my post.

    If you want to break it down mathematically then it isn't about statistics, its about ratio - the ratio between good and bad Pokemon in each game. The ratio between good and bad in Gen VI is better, in my opinion, than the ratio between good and bad in Gen V.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    The only thing certain is that Game Freak is always improving their games in every aspect, and I find that they do try to give every Pokemon something useful this generation. But it's more likely a result of experience from previous generations that filler~ish, outclassed Pokemon often receive criticism, and has nothing to do with the quantity.
    Game Freak are learning and improving their games. They've learnt to put less "filler~ish, outclassed Pokemon" into this current generation's Pokedex .

    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    And on the topic of how 3D graphics might have hindered the quantity added, let's just say that prior to this, there are people who wholeheartedly believed that we won't get 3D Pokemon or player customization because "it's impossible for Game Freak to do that for over 600+ Pokemon, and there's so many player model permutation, and it's pointless etc." Yet we still got an entire game devoted to both aspects, with barely any delay in release schedule. I've always believed that it's really a matter of whether Game Freak has the intention to add whatever amount of Pokemon they wanted.
    Yeah, it was hard work putting all that time into bringing the Pokemon world into 3D. Lets all moan about how there are less Pokemon! Woo! There was no hiccup in the release date because there weren't as many Pokemon designed. Imagine how long it'd take 30-40 more Pokemon to go from the concept art stage, designing their final concept, modelling them in 3D, animating them, etc etc. There would have been delays to the release schedule. Making, animating and programming sprites is child's play compared to 3D stuff dood.

    But yeah. I'm sick of talking about it now. We are going round in circles here..
    Last edited by cagedWINGS; 14th February 2014 at 2:07 PM.
    Proud Poison-type Club member!

    "Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"


    LOOKING FOR A DITTO FRIEND SAFARI. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE, THANKS!!

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cagedWINGS View Post
    Yeah, it was hard work putting all that time into bringing the Pokemon world into 3D. Lets all moan about how there are less Pokemon! Woo! There was no hiccup in the release date because there weren't as many Pokemon designed. Imagine how long it'd take 30-40 more Pokemon to go from the concept art stage, designing their final concept, modelling them in 3D, animating them, etc etc. There would have been delays to the release schedule. Making, animating and programming sprites is child's play compared to 3D stuff dood.

    But yeah. I'm sick of talking about it now. We are going round in circles here..
    I'm not big fan of Megas, so I would rather the time spent on those be devoted to entirely new families. And as for 3D models vs sprites, it depends on several factors. Animated sprites requires you to start from the scratch for each frame, whereas 3D models are hard to create, but easy to animate once you have the model ready. I would think that it's harder to create sprites in Game Freak's case since the sprite quality goes up every generation, meaning that they have to start from scratch each time. But 3D models might possibly be reused, unless they decide to move away from cel shading in the future, for which I think they could probably still reuse the model base.

    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I'm more concerned with actual amounts of Pokemon I like to work with each generation, rather than ratio, which is always roughly 60-70% regardless of generation. I could probably give examples and go into the finer details, but that'll just be off-topic.
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 14th February 2014 at 6:31 PM.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Old Chateau
    Posts
    846

    Default

    I felt like 69 Pokémon was a little lacking. Sure Mega Evolutions may count as new Pokémon in a sense, but even 100 is still too little for me. I would have liked a little more Pokémon than what we got, but that's jut me.
    Also, for you quantity vs quantity people, what defines 'quality?'. What makes you think that just because you don't like some of the designs, then they didn't have a lot of thought put into them. Sure, Garbodor is a trash bag and Klinklang is a bunch of gears, but I think those are a lot more original than more dog and cat Pokémon like Liepard and Litleo. There will always be at least one fan for every single Pokémon Game Freak makes and quality is dependent on the person, not Game Freak, and quantity is solely dependent on Game Freak. They aren't related.
    Click image for respective credits




  13. #163
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cagedWINGS View Post
    My statement about the three heads and leves wasn't meant to be taken literally, but you get the picture about what I'm on about at the very least, right?
    Of course. I probably should have wrapped my comment in sarcasm quotes or something.


    I agree with everything you've said here. Its pretty much what I've been trying to tell everyone here for the past few posts :P. Glad someone actually agrees with me and isn't all like "HE DOESN'T LIKE UNOVA??! ATTACK HIM!!"
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. I just can't stand the Unova legendaries. They're a perfect example of over thinking
    a design. "More wings, more claws, more angles, MOAR ALL THE THINGS!"



    Also, for you quantity vs quantity people, what defines 'quality?'. What makes you think that just because you don't like some of the designs, then they didn't have a lot of thought put into them. Sure, Garbodor is a trash bag and Klinklang is a bunch of gears, but I think those are a lot more original than more dog and cat Pokémon like Liepard and Litleo. There will always be at least one fan for every single Pokémon Game Freak makes and quality is dependent on the person, not Game Freak, and quantity is solely dependent on Game Freak. They aren't related.
    For (me at least) it isn't just design quality. To me a quality pokemon is one that either has an awesome design,
    is actually useful in battle, or a little of each. For example: Stunfisk. That is hands down one of the single most
    pointless pokemon of all time. It looks terrible and has zero uses. In Gen 6 (I feel) nearly all the pokemon
    have a competitive niche or simply have really simple and cool looking designs. Unlike Gen 5 where nearly none
    of the pokemon are usable until you get to Excadrill in the dex. And even some of the ones who
    are usable look terrible.

    Hell even this generation's butterfly is capable of sweeping whole teams.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Macclesfield, UK
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Awwe, no love for Stunfisk? I actually like him! I know right. Quick! Get the Pope on the phone as a miracle has happened - cagedWINGS has actually said something positive about Gen V Pokemon! .

    Eh, he has his uses but he isn't stellar. I think I like him because I feel sorry for him more than anything. Its like he needs a big ol' cuddle.

    Over complicated designs are the biggest fault of Gen V I feel. I definitely agree, especially with the legendaries. Reshiram is just too much..
    Last edited by cagedWINGS; 14th February 2014 at 10:59 PM.
    Proud Poison-type Club member!

    "Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"


    LOOKING FOR A DITTO FRIEND SAFARI. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE, THANKS!!

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    That way
    Posts
    6,776

    Default

    Stunfisk actually has surprising uses in NU.

    But imo Unova had some good designs, with loads of quality like Unfezant, Frillish and Jellicent's gender differences, Basculin's stripe forms, three new Ghost typings with the Yamask line having a signature ability, the first Non-Arceus Bug legendary, the first Non-Arceus Fighting type legendary (albeit the first quartet too), a pure Flying type Pokémon, the massive great treatment Bug Pokémon got, Darmanitan's Zen Mode, the Purrloin line breaking the mold of Normal type cats, Deerling and Sawsbuck's seasonal differences, Heatmor and Durant's rivalry, Shelmet and Karrablast's trade method, the Klink line being the first 3-stages pure Steel Pokemon line, and a lot of new type combinations/hardly used type combinations (Cobalion & Virizion for instance).

    Granted a lot of Gen VI's Pokémon had similar treatment with quality but the whole Quality over Quantity thing isn't always true.

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    640

    Default

    We may have gotten fewer Pokémon this generation than any other, but we also got way better quality all around. This is the only generation I'd consider using the early game bird and rodent competitively, the starters ROCK compared to Gen V's and Gen II, the dragons are all legit, just about every species line is usable in some way (except Dedenne...), and do we even need to mention Aegislash?! And they're all relatively inspired designs. Yes, even Slurpuff's return to food references.

  17. #167
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Fluttershy's Cottage
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    Okay so as many of you may know, Kalos only gave us 69 new pokemon, and personally im not to crazy about it, to me it feels like gen 6 so far is really feeling like its the gen to get all the genwunners back, "oh look 2 mega charizards" and it feels like kalos is suffering for it.

    But hey maybe im wrong, what do you guys think.
    Though said many times I think it's safe to say that GF is running out of ideas... Hey GF what about Mega Lopunny for Pokemon Z!?
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

  18. #168
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marbi Z View Post
    Though said many times I think it's safe to say that GF is running out of ideas... Hey GF what about Mega Lopunny for Pokemon Z!?
    YAAAS! Mega Lopunny with a giant fabulous fur coat type of growth and some "spike"like growth in the shape of a diamond ring/pearl necklace would have been much appreciated.
    As would have a fit Ziggy Stardust look for Mega Zoroark.

    *fans self* I don't care what anyone says those should have happened more than Mega Ampharos/Mega Blaziken. Oh well, I should be thankful for my pimpin' old lady Mega Banette and my Judas Priest looking Houndoom (and, of course, Mega Charizard X).
    Friend Code: 4597-0393-3118
    Pokémon in My Safari:
    PM me first before adding!

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Macclesfield, UK
    Posts
    105

    Default

    I personally think it is the last we will really see of the past generation Pokemon now. Was it just me or did it feel like a last hurrah giving us a Kanto starter, and all the effort giving all these past Pokemon these new Mega Evolutions and such?

    The people who were in the target audience age when Pokemon was first released have now grown up. Some of them are even starting to make families of their own. Obviously a percentage of these adults will be a Pokemon fan for life, but it won't be long until the next generation of children will be gearing up for Pokemon.

    Though I suspect that every Pokemon Generation will be compatible with the previous, meaning you can trade past Pokemon over and the Pokemon we have in X&Y won't somehow get locked out like our Pokemon did during the transition from Gen II to Gen III, I honestly don't believe we will see any Pokemon from Generations I to V appearing 'wild' in games anymore. Its a bit of a depressing idea but Pokemon can't be expected to be tied down to old roots anymore. It managed to break away slightly this generation by giving us a 3D world, but more needs to be done before the franchise can renew itself and be able to pass the torch on to our children.

    The fact that depresses me is that I just know one day I'm going to be playing some iteration of Pokemon with my son or daughter, maybe they'd be sitting on my knee, just watching, and they're going to point to a Pokemon in my team that they've never seen before, one that I've had for years and had been trading across generations of games up until this point, one that the data that its made up of is older than my child itself, and ask who it is. Its a tall orange dragon with cyan wings and a flame on its tail.

    "That? Oh, that's Charizard".
    Proud Poison-type Club member!

    "Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"


    LOOKING FOR A DITTO FRIEND SAFARI. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE, THANKS!!

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,341

    Default

    I'm pretty sure that won't happen. While the focus will be less on the older gen Pokémon (so you will have to explain to your child what Charizard is eventually), they'll still be utilized to fill up the Regional Dex.

    I also just felt that we got the Kanto starters/Mewtwo/A Legendary bird as a way of not needing another Kanto remake.
    Friend Code: 4597-0393-3118
    Pokémon in My Safari:
    PM me first before adding!

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Where Life Starts and End
    Posts
    1,845

    Default

    What I don't really enjoy, is how some types didn't get much love like they did in Gev V. Bug has only Vivillon, Steel just got Aegi and Klefki... Man, it's not right. I know we got awesome types, but the reason I love Unova, is its diversity in pokémon types, something Kalos doesn't lack by any means, but it should have more, tbh. Also, type exclusivity for legend sucks. Yes, I'm looking at you, Dialga/Giratina.

    Quote Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
    I felt like 69 Pokémon was a little lacking. Sure Mega Evolutions may count as new Pokémon in a sense, but even 100 is still too little for me. I would have liked a little more Pokémon than what we got, but that's jut me.
    Also, for you quantity vs quantity people, what defines 'quality?'. What makes you think that just because you don't like some of the designs, then they didn't have a lot of thought put into them. Sure, Garbodor is a trash bag and Klinklang is a bunch of gears, but I think those are a lot more original than more dog and cat Pokémon like Liepard and Litleo. There will always be at least one fan for every single Pokémon Game Freak makes and quality is dependent on the person, not Game Freak, and quantity is solely dependent on Game Freak. They aren't related.
    Perfect.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Macclesfield, UK
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akanjăo View Post
    What I don't really enjoy, is how some types didn't get much love like they did in Gev V. Bug has only Vivillon, Steel just got Aegi and Klefki... Man, it's not right. I know we got awesome types, but the reason I love Unova, is its diversity in pokémon types, something Kalos doesn't lack by any means, but it should have more, tbh. Also, type exclusivity for legend sucks. Yes, I'm looking at you, Dialga/Giratina.
    Hi. I'm a Poison-type fan. You must be new here :P. We only got Dragalge in Gen VI, but I think I mentioned in a previous post that I don't mind at all because instead of getting generic Poison-types (like Poison/Bug, Poison/Grass, mono-Poison) we got something awesome.

    I think that speaks for the other types of Pokemon that were less loved this time around. You mentioned Aegislash and Klefki. They are Ghost/Steel and Fairy/Steel respectively. That's completely awesome. Give me two unique dual-types instead of more of the same sucky Steel/Ground or Steel/Rock-types like we've seen a million times before.

    Okay, granted, we've only ever seen two Steel/Ground-types before, but I feel that Steel, Ground and Rock are always lumped into the same category of 'hard, defensive, rock dudes'. Its refreshing seeing something different.

    I hear you with Bug-types though. And they chose to have a gym based on Bug-type Pokemon. Oops! The saving grace for Vivillon is its gimmick. Yeah, gimmicks are 'eh' at the best of times, but I really enjoy collecting as many of the little blighters as I can.
    Last edited by cagedWINGS; 15th February 2014 at 6:50 PM.
    Proud Poison-type Club member!

    "Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"


    LOOKING FOR A DITTO FRIEND SAFARI. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE, THANKS!!

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    850

    Default

    Speaking of types, I have been waiting for a water/fire type for a very long time now, and I still am.

    And don't say it wouldn't work because water and fire are the opposite.

    We already have dark/psychic, psychic/fighting and even a fire/bug. Those type combination wouldn't work, but since Pokémon with those type combinations do exist, it does work.

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
    Speaking of types, I have been waiting for a water/fire type for a very long time now, and I still am.

    And don't say it wouldn't work because water and fire are the opposite.

    We already have dark/psychic, psychic/fighting and even a fire/bug. Those type combination wouldn't work, but since Pokémon with those type combinations do exist, it does work.
    Volcanion is a Fire/Water-type, for what that's worth.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type


    My 3DS Friend Code:

    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cagedWINGS View Post
    The fact that depresses me is that I just know one day I'm going to be playing some iteration of Pokemon with my son or daughter, maybe they'd be sitting on my knee, just watching, and they're going to point to a Pokemon in my team that they've never seen before, one that I've had for years and had been trading across generations of games up until this point, one that the data that its made up of is older than my child itself, and ask who it is. Its a tall orange dragon with cyan wings and a flame on its tail.

    "That? Oh, that's Charizard".
    :'( You made me think of some of kids that think their large fans of pokemon but don't have a clue to it's roots.. Imagine the same child you mentioned stumbled upon a copy of Red or Blue x.x But all the same, if I remember right the lady who voices Sylveon said that thanks to pokebank she can give pokes to get (grand?) children. I don't recall the smash episode it was on.

    On topic though, I agree quality vs quantity was a factor in the lack of newer pokes, I didn't really see a problem with gen; I do tend to bash gen V a bit for the same reasons some folks above as said. I do like Audino and Joltik, but the rest...... aside from a couple of honorable mentions. The mega evolves were kinda pointless for some, but I'll play the game all the same, it was the only other game that gave the same thrill as gen 2 when I played it. Oh forgot to add, I will rule with Diancie.. so shiny
    Last edited by Nightblind249; 15th February 2014 at 9:00 PM. Reason: grammer

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •