Thread: [Creative Team Name]: OU VoltTurn

Default [Creative Team Name]: OU VoltTurn

Alright, so I’m not that great with intros, but here goes. So as the story begins, this idea came about when I decided to try Kyurem-B with Sticky Web support. And so this team you see above came into being. The End.

But more seriously, I’ve gotten gradually into competitive battling over the years, with my first completely serious attempt being this. Also, my college has this Pokemon Club, and we’re kinda having this tournament at some point (would be on the 31st if not for the Pokebank delay), so that motivated me to actually make a serious team. As such, please keep Wi-Fi battling in mind when rating my team. This is my first attempt at a CRMT like this and the teambuilding process is one that I’m still working on improving, so this may or may not be absolutely terrible. Just a warning to anyone giving a rating. Still, I’m open to any criticism, suggestions, hate comments or any advice you might have. Now for more in-depth descriptions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Compound Eyes
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Timid Nature
    - Sticky Web
    - Bug Buzz
    - Thunder
    - Volt Switch

As this team was inspired by my interest in using Sticky Web, a Galvantula lead is an obvious choice. The EV spread is typical, as Galvantula doesn’t really benefit from any investment elsewhere. The last 4 EV’s go in SDef so that Download raises Attack, though given Genesect is in suspect testing, this may not be relevant (and yes, I know Genesect also runs physical sets).

Bug Buzz and Thunder are standard STAB, and deal some great damage if I need to attack or Volt Switch away. Volt Switch is used over Grass type coverage in order to give me another avenue with my VoltTurn core as well, which is always a plus for VoltTurn. Focus Sash also helps give Volt Switch a chance to have use, and I don’t want to throw away the EleSpider so early in battle in case I need to set up another web.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Band
    Ability: Teravolt
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
    Adamant Nature
    - Outrage
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Dragon Claw
    - Ice Beam

Banded Kyurem-B hits like a monster, in every sense. While the use of choiced Kyurem-B clashes a bit with the momentum of VoltTurn, the raw power makes up for it and acts as a fantastic wallbreaker. He also loves having the Sticky Web support (main inspiration for my team), since neutral base 95 isn’t in the greatest of speed tiers. This also increases his sweeping capabilities and gives him the jump on non-Scarfed Jolly Garchomp. Despite my use of Sticky Web, I’m still maximizing Speed, since I can’t guarantee that Sticky Web will always be up when I need Kyurem-B out. Dragon Claw is a standard reliable STAB during early and mid-game, since locking into Outrage isn’t always a safe idea.

As long as Steel and Fairies types are out of the way and Sticky Web is up, Outrage cleans up very well late-game and usually wins the battle unless the opponent has something like Latios or Mach Punch. Fusion Bolt is pretty much a mandatory here for anything that Dragon STAB can’t deal with, and is helpful against anything with Flame Body (AKA Volcarona). Ice Beam is STAB and wrecks Gliscor and Landorus-T, both of which can be a problem to Kyurem-B otherwise. I’ve considered Iron Head to ruin any Fairies, but Ice Beam is generally the better move here, and none of them want to switch into Fusion Bolt, especially not Azumarill or Togekiss.

Scizor @ Scizorite
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 40 Atk / 252 HP / 216 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - Roost
    - U-turn
    - Defog

Scizor is the Mega of this team, and I make full use of its fabulous bulk here with a specially defensive spread. Scizor is a major part of my VoltTurn core as a utility with Defog. I know this clashes greatly with Sticky Web, but I had a tough time finding a hazard remover for this team, and I really don’t want Rocks around even if a Web is up since my team doesn’t particularly like Rocks. My team also shouldn’t rely completely on a Web to function anyway.

Scizor also has the benefit of being a bulkier cornerstone of my VoltTurn core, taking Dragon type moves aimed at Latios and Kyurem (which are a huge problem otherwise), Stone Edges aimed at Rotom-H (who can take fire moves aimed at Scizor) and Ice Beams aimed at Gliscor. Tyranitar and Mamoswine leads are also common, especially when my opponent notices Galvantula on my team, so I can use Scizor to check the (lead Tyranitar’s Fire Punch also fails to OHKO).

My team’s lack of any other hazard remover often gives the opponent motivation to haphazardly set up hazards (pun intended) since Defog Scizor is apparently not obvious as a hazard remover. Roost helps a lot with longevity, especially on a bulkier set like this one that will be switching into a multitude of attacks. Bullet Punch is Bullet Punch.

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Thunderbolt

The omnipresent Rotom, only I’m using Rotom-H rather than Rotom-W. The reason for that is because I’m a hipster my team struggles with Genesect and Mega Lucario otherwise, as well as Scizor and Ferrothorn (to an extent), all which Rotom-H can toast nicely (again, pun intended) This may change to Rotom-W depending on how suspect testing goes, but beating out Scizor and Ferrothorn are definitely a boon (and Bisharp, since he can take advantage of my web).

Max HP and Leftovers means that Talonflame is not a problem, but my VoltTurn core needs more power, so I’ve gone Modest and invested in SAtk rather running a fully defensive set. Overheat hits hard in general, and discourages Donphan and Gliscor from switching, in fear of being OHKO’ed. Will-o-Wisp cripples physical switch-ins and helps Rotom-H be the annoying microwave oven it is, what with the constant VoltTurning.

Now, I’ll explain the last move. Thunderbolt is a stronger STAB that doesn’t force me out in case I don’t want to switch. On PS, I run Pain Split for semi-reliable recovery or HP Grass for Gastrodon, but Thunderbolt is listed because I’m referring to one I’ll be using in my actual game. Pain Split is a transfer-only move, I’m not using it. And I really don’t want to breed for Hidden Power in-game, so if you want to suggest a change for Thunderbolt, please don’t say Pain Split or Hidden Power. I know it might sound stubborn, but that’s the only significant limitation I have.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    - Dragon Pulse

This is a team slot I’ve had trouble filling, so I’m aware I may be doing things totally wrong here. With that, I’m very open to suggestions on this slot, even moreso than the rest of my team. I’m running a typical Scarf Latios set here, and Latios helps with my team’s Rotom-W problem.

Draco Meteor hurts many things hard, but Dragon Pulse is there if I can’t afford the stat drop. Psyshock provides secondary STAB and handles Chansey, Blissey and the rising AV sets. Surf hurts Heatran and other Steels as well. The reason I’ve decided to run Scarf Latios is because my team lacks a dedicated revenge killer, let alone anything particularly quick if Sticky Web is down and I can’t get it back up. With Sticky Web in mind, though, I’ve considered going Modest instead of Timid for the extra power, but I’m not sure if losing to other Scarf Latios is worth it.

With all this, I am aware that running Latios at all here also compounds my Dragon weakness, and that Scizor can only do so much for my team. But questions like these are why I’m bothering with a RMT in the first place.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 252 Def / 244 HP / 12 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Taunt
    - U-turn
    - Knock Off

Rounding off my team is another hipster set not a Toxic Stall Gliscor, but a Pivot. HP EV’s normally would maximize Poison Heal recovery, but since this team will often fight at level 50 in-game, this is a little less useful. However, this speed allows me to tie with max Speed Adamant Scizor so that I can potentially Taunt it before it sets up, if one wants to look at the bright side. Taunt entry hazards like Rocks that I really don't want to deal with, as well as walls like Mandibuzz that may want to Defog my Sticky Web away.

U-turn effectively makes Gliscor a part of my VoltTurning strategies, which makes great use of the pivot set. This also means that it’s often easy to get the Toxic Orb to activate, which is great since I want the healing to kick in as soon as possible if I’m switching in and out of attacks often. Earthquake is an awesome STAB, not sure what else needs to be said about it, other than it can stop Heatran as long as it doesn’t carry a Scarf or Balloon. Also, thanks to the switches VoltTurn forces, Knock Off’s utility increases greatly, allowing me to potentially ruin a switch-in and generally cripple most Pokemon who rely greatly on their held item. This effect on top of all the residual damage from VoltTurning adds up, which helps Kyurem-B a lot with its job.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yup, that’s my team. I’m reasonably confident with what I’ve done with this team, though I wouldn’t imagine ~1300 peak on the new PS ladder is anything to brag about. I know I have some issues that I might need to work out like Defog and Sticky Web, Dragon weakness, etcetera, but I’ll leave it at that. I’m open to most suggestions, so feel free to rip away at my team. Unfortunately, you’re looking at the team of a lazy college student, so no replays here. But hopefully my descriptions are good enough. But if someone really wants them, I’ll try and add some replays.

Spoiler:- Portable Version:
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Dunsparce!

Why not try mega blastoise as a spinner?It functions well as a specially based wallbreaker,and it does its job at spinning nicely because dark pulse eliminates common spinblockers.Not knocking on latios,but it just aint stronk enough.Take out scizor and put in megatoise. Moveset:
    Blastoise holding Blastoisinite
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Aura Sphere
    - Water Pulse
    - Dark Pulse
    - Rapid Spin

EVs make it so it can switch into SR a 9th time.

For starters, this isn't a horrible team. However, you're going to want a rapid spinner, and not a defogger if you plan on keeping Sticky Web.

First, I would recommend actually dropping Galvantula for Landorus-T. As of now, you're extremely susceptible to Talonflame, and with that bird being at #3 on the usage list, you have to fix that issue. Once Rotom-H is dead, talonflame can go in for the sweep, and that will cost you matches, but with Landorus-T, you have a great counter for that pesky bird, as well as some more neutral coverage over threats like Aegislash, AV Conk, and even Landorus-T himself. Not to mention, you can run stealth Rocks on Landy, creating a better Entry Hazard for your team.

Next, if you're going to do Volt turn, especially with Rotom-H, you're going to want a way to get rid of the rocks. I personally would drop Gliscor here, as it's not doing your team very many favors, and replace it with Excadrill . Excadrill does wodners for the team; it spins away hazards, it covers Heatran very nicely, it's fast, it covers some of the dragons you were worried about, and it can sweep. Not to mention, Excadrill has wonderful synergy with Landorus-T, Latios and Rotom-H.

As for sets, I'd run something like these:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    IVs: 0 SAtk
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge / Knock Off

Earth Plate Landy is a very underrated, yet effective set, easily 2HKOing any AV Conk, if you're lucky OHKOing with a critical hit, in sight with Earthquake. Stealth rocks are to provide your team a bit more damage, which could be the difference between winning and losing a match. Also, Since you're doing a VoltTurn team, Landy also gives you more switching in and out with it's own U-turn prowess. Just make sure not to come in on a Bisharp, otherwise you're screwed. Your choice between Stone Edge and Knock Off is mainly your choice. Stone Edge hits Talonflame even harder, while Knock Off is more for utility.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
    Ability: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake
    - Iron Head
    - Stealth Rock / Swords Dance

At first, you might be thinking, "Why run two pairs of Stealth Rocks?" I'll tell you why. Often times people may assume that you've only one SRer, you can throw them off by killing off their defogger, or spinner after they've killed either Landorus-T or Excadrill. you come in, and just lay down more rocks. It's risky, but in my experience, works more often than not. However, if running double rocks isn't your forte, you should definitely run Swords dance. It allows you to sweep late game after many holes have been punched into the opponent's team by Kyub. Lastly, you will always find Iron head and Earthquake on this guy; it's common knowledge.

I hope you found my advice useful! Good luck on the ladder!
    Last edited by 725roy; 6th February 2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Damage Calcs were off.

Thank you based Irra for the banner

Alright, took a look at these responses last night, but I've been busy all day. I'll try and not make this too long.

Quote Originally Posted by 725roy View Post
    For starters, this isn't a horrible team. However, you're going to want a rapid spinner, and not a defogger if you plan on keeping Sticky Web.
    You'll find that I have a tendency to underrate myself more than I need to, but I'm half joking with that. Seeing as getting rid of Defog for Rapid Spin seems to be a common response (not surprised, since I did already acknowledge the issue), I suppose that needs to be addressed.

First, I would recommend actually dropping Galvantula for Landorus-T. As of now, you're extremely susceptible to Talonflame, and with that bird being at #3 on the usage list, you have to fix that issue. Once Rotom-H is dead, talonflame can go in for the sweep, and that will cost you matches, but with Landorus-T, you have a great counter for that pesky bird, as well as some more neutral coverage over threats like Aegislash, AV Conk, and even Landorus-T himself. Not to mention, you can run stealth Rocks on Landy, creating a better Entry Hazard for your team.

Next, if you're going to do Volt turn, especially with Rotom-H, you're going to want a way to get rid of the rocks. I personally would drop Gliscor here, as it's not doing your team very many favors, and replace it with Excadrill . Excadrill does wodners for the team; it spins away hazards, it covers Heatran very nicely, it's fast, it covers some of the dragons you were worried about, and it can sweep. Not to mention, Excadrill has wonderful synergy with Landorus-T, Latios and Rotom-H.
    Wait, is my team really that weak to Talonflame? Huh, never had any issues with it before, but at the same time, I don't run into one as often as the supposedly high usage would suggest. Funny that you suggest Landorus-T, though, since I ran one before putting Gliscor on the team. Landorus-T just ran a set that didn't contribute much to my team, but I had not considered Stealth Rock or Knock Off.

I do like the Mega Blastoise suggestion above, but I don't know about fully replacing Scizor, given the team's focus on VoltTurn. However, the suggestion of dropping Galvantula has gotten me to realize that my team doesn't exactly need the benefit from Sticky Web (outside from perhaps Kyurem-B), especially given that I don't want to rely greatly on Sticky Web either. I'll drop Galvantula, but if I'm doing that, I don't think I'll be running hazards myself so that Defog fits my team better. I find Scizor with U-turn works best this way, so VoltTurn retains most of its effectiveness on my team. Galvantula may also utilize Volt Switch, but given his role in the team, it shouldn't be a problem to just drop him.

As for sets, I'd run something like these:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Earth Plate
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    IVs: 0 SAtk
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge / Knock Off

Earth Plate Landy is a very underrated, yet effective set, easily 2HKOing any AV Conk, if you're lucky OHKOing with a critical hit, in sight with Earthquake. Stealth rocks are to provide your team a bit more damage, which could be the difference between winning and losing a match. Also, Since you're doing a VoltTurn team, Landy also gives you more switching in and out with it's own U-turn prowess. Just make sure not to come in on a Bisharp, otherwise you're screwed. Your choice between Stone Edge and Knock Off is mainly your choice. Stone Edge hits Talonflame even harder, while Knock Off is more for utility.
    I like this set, actually. I ran Life Orb previously, but with the amount of switching, Life Orb damage really does adds up more than I'd like. Again, I won't be using Rocks because of Defog now, so I'll probably modify that a bit, like running both Stone Edge and Knock Off. May I ask about the EV spread, though? I'm assuming the focus on HP rather than Speed is for added bulk, but does 52 Speed help outspeed any specific threats in particular? If I'm not running Rocks, is the bulk as necessary, and would Jolly with 252 Att / 252 Spe be a bad idea (given that I'm no longer running Sticky Web)?

A few things, though. Seeing as this is a team I'm also planning to use on Y, Landorus-T will have a tough time finding its way onto my team there, especially with issues concerning tutor moves. For PS, though, I'll definitely use Landorus-T (and I'll be listing that team for simplicity), but replace Gliscor with him. On that note, since Scizor is staying as my Defogger, I don't think I'll use Excadrill, especially given that Excadrill, Rotom-H and Landorus all share a Water weakness, which not a type I feel I should be so weak against, even with two water resists on the team. That also means I now have one empty spot on my team thanks to Galvantula's absence. Or should I run Excadrill alongside Scizor despite the huge water weakness?

Hopefully these questions aren't too much, but I appreciate the responses! I'll edit in changes in the first post after I'm sure of the changes, and if there are any objections to anything I've said, feel free to inform me.

Hold on. Without Galvantula, doesn't your team not have Sticky Web anymore?
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

Quote Originally Posted by justinjiaxinghu View Post
    Hold on. Without Galvantula, doesn't your team not have Sticky Web anymore?
    Yeah, did I confuse my words somewhere? Yeah, if I drop Galvantula, I lose Sticky Web support, but that's not something my team will miss greatly, will it? I mean, I know I say in the first post that this team idea was conceived by wanting to use Kyurem-B with Sticky Web support, but I don't know if that's entirely necessary anymore. Dropping the use of hazards means that Defog won't give me any issues with hazard removal concerning my Sticky Web. Defog Scizor also works very well with the VoltTurn core, given the large investment in bulk. Or am I wrong to drop Galvantula?