Introduction:

This is a team for the Smogon Underused tier that has been through coming up on two years of refinement. I posted an RMT for the Generation V version of this team in August 2012 that was received quite positively. This is the modern day iteration of that team, rebuilt for the modern Generation VI version of the UU tier, and all the changes that come with it.

The Team:

Winnie (Mienshao) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
-High Jump Kick
-Fake Out
-U-turn
-Stone Edge

Mienshao has, for as long as this team has existed, been my go-to lead. Obviously against a team with two Ghost-types, a Slowbro and a Deoxys-D I'm not going to lead with Mienshao, but in most cases I find that starting off with Mienshao is a safe bet. Her ability to break down walls, but still keep herself healthy has always been the reason she remains one of the top threats on my team.

High Jump Kick is devastatingly powerful to everything that doesn't resist it. Fake Out can be a useful scouting move, and is the only form of priority on the team. It isn't safe to just start right in on High Jump Kick while there are still opposing Pokemon who resist it (or worse, are immune to it, guaranteeing the recoil effect) because of the threat of missing and taking recoil damage; in these cases, I start with Fake Out to scout for a switch. U-Turn is useful because it allows Mienshao to do a bit of chip damage before activating Regenerator, and against certain threats like Psychic-types or Dark-types it can even be an offensively viable move. Finally, Stone Edge tends to hit for at least neutral damage against things which resist both HJK and U-Turn (Ghost-types, Flying-types and Water-types, to give some examples), giving her the widest possible coverage.

As a sweeper in one of the highest speed tiers in UU, a Jolly nature and max Speed EVs are obviously a requirement. At 8 HP EVs, Mienshao hits 273 HP, which is evenly divisible by 3, meaning she gets the maximum amount of recovery from Regenerator. Everything else gets put into Attack. Finally, for something with as good of coverage as her and an ability which allows her to restore HP, Life Orb is a very valuable item, due to the sizable power boost without limiting her coverage. The HP loss is not negligible, but it is at least manageable thanks to Regenerator.

Apple (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
-V-create
-Fusion Bolt
-Zen Headbutt
-U-turn

Victini is the powerhouse of the team. It can function both as a revenge killer and as a physical sweeper. With a Choice Scarf, it can outspeed all of UU and even the majority of boosted UU. V-create just does a ridiculous amount of damage, with the speed drop mitigated by the scarf, allowing for potentially one to two repeated uses. Fusion Bolt and Zen Headbutt are both extremely useful coverage against things that resist V-create or that would offensively threaten Victini; this includes things like Water-, Flying-, and Ground-types, including the new UU threat Keldeo. U-turn is useful on Victini for the same reasons it is on Mienshao; however, the only other move that could reasonably go here would be Flare Blitz, and I don't like the thought of Victini taking unnecessary recoil. The reason I originally chose Victini as compared to other Fire-type sweepers like Arcanine, Houndoom or Darmanitan is because of how bulky he is compared to them.

The EVs are as straight forward as they come. Putting the remaining 4 into HP doesn't change his Stealth Rock number (it would take 12 HP EVs to put him at a Stealth Rock number, or -4 if that were possible), so I put them in Special Defense to mess with Porygon. I chose an Adamant nature over Jolly to try and recoup some of the power loss associated with Choice Scarf, but if there is some threat I'm just shy of outspeeding that Jolly would fix, I would be open to changing natures.

Paula (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace --> Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
-Calm Mind
-Wish
-Hyper Voice
-Shadow Ball

My Mega, and also my favorite Pokemon. I've always wanted to be able to successfully use Gardevoir in the higher tiers, but it just never quite worked; she was always just slightly too slow and just slightly too weak, and you could use Choice Scarf or Choice Specs to fix one, but never the other. Between shoring up her defenses with Fairy-typing and gaining the power boosts she needs through Mega Evolution, I feel she is now a very viable UU setup sweeper.

Calm Mind allows Gardevoir to build for longevity and increase her damage output at run-time as needed. She is perfectly capable of hitting hard enough without Calm Mind boosts if she can't get them, but if she is able to force something out and get to +1 or +2 in her special stats, she becomes much harder to take down. In the spirit of building her for longevity, Wish can ease the burden of setting up by restoring her HP once she has finished. It can also theoretically be used for team support, but I haven't found opportunity to do that yet; when she does go down, it tends to be against things which are faster than her, meaning her teammates don't get a chance to receive a potential Wish. Hyper Voice (as a Fairy-type move due to Pixilate) and Shadow Ball are perfect neutral coverage, and hit a surprisingly large portion of UU super effectively. Hyper Voice is obviously the vastly stronger move, whereas Shadow Ball is for coverage. One final note for those who might not know the details of Pixilate, because Hyper Voice gets turned into a Fairy-type move when she uses it in her Mega form, it gains a 30% damage increase, and because it is a sound-based move it can hit through Substitutes; this makes it the superior option to Moonblast.

Mega Gardevoir is a sweeper, but she needs to be played as a bulky setup one. Mega Gardevoir has no want for power, firing off a base 117 attack before STAB that has no recoil or downside from base 160 Special Attack, but she needs to invest in her defensive stats in order to function properly. Maxing HP also allows her to pass bigger Wishes to her teammates, should that need ever arise. Finally, max Speed investment is useful on something as fast as her (after Mega evolution), especially in a tier with as many base 100 Speed Pokemon as UU.

Kurisu (Milotic) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
-Surf
-Dragon Tail
-Toxic
-Recover

UU on the whole is primarily filled with physical attackers. Milotic is my physical wall to deal with these kinds of threats. That includes things like Heracross, Bisharp and Darmanitan. However, due to her naturally high Special Defense, she can also effectively function as an impromptu special wall where appropriate.

The real key to the set is Marvel Scale. Many of the Pokemon on this team are severely crippled by status; Mienshao and Rhyperior hate Burn, and Victini is shut down by Paralysis. Milotic can absorb status and use it to boost her Defense. In fact, I've found in practice that I don't even really have to trick people into statusing her; many people will do it purposely. To help manage the common HP loss incurred from status, Recover is an indispensable move on her. Surf and Toxic are her primary vehicle for dealing damage. I use to use Scald in order to try and spread Burn and further help her shore up her Defense, but I found that a weak Water-type attack and an occasional Burn chance that I could never seem to activate weren't offensively threatening enough to scare away the things I would switch her in against. Too often I would switch Milotic in on some offensive threat to try and wall it, but she then wouldn't be able to scare it off and let me switch back to one of my own more offensive Pokemon. The additional power from Surf and the rapid death from Toxic are much more threatening, and mesh better with Roserade. Speaking of which, Dragon Tail rounds off the set to prevent setup sweepers from using her as setup bait, and to rack up chip damage once Roserade has set up Spikes. It is this and Marvel Scale that really set her apart from Slowbro, in addition to her better Speed and Special Defense.

While I tend to use her as a mixed wall, she is technically meant to be more physical. Maximum Defense investment and a Bold nature are used to achieve this, along with max HP. This also very nearly puts her at a Leftovers number (394 * 0.16 = 63.04).

Vector (Rhyperior) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Megahorn
-Rock Polish

Rhyperior is a little trickier to use than Mienshao and Victini, but is also potentially much more devastating. Rock Polish and the given spread allow him to outspeed all positive natured base 125s after a single boost. Sadly he falls 2 points shy of outspeeding all positive natured base 130s after one boost, even with maximum investment, so EVing beyond what I have here is pointless. If you can switch him in on something he forces out and set up a Rock Polish, he can be a very threatening late game setup sweeper.

The primary way this set has changed since last generation is the addition of Weakness Policy. I never really found an item I liked on him last generation, but Weakness Policy is tailor made for him. Between his massive HP stat and Solid Rock, he is actually fairly decent at surviving some Super Effective physical hits, which trigger Weakness Policy. There is a noticeable power drop associated with building into Speed so much, but a +2 boost allows him to OHKO nearly everything in the tier. Stone Edge and Earthquake are STAB EdgeQuake, which you can't beat with a stick, and Megahorn is his best available coverage move, smacking around things like Slowbro.

Basically, Rhyperior can be a little hit-or-miss, and there are definitely threats that he can't handle, but if you can bring him in late game, he can become an unstoppable cleaner.

Rebelle (Roserade) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SDef / 108 Spd
Nature: Calm (+SDef, -Atk)
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Spikes
-Synthesis

Roserade is the newest addition to the team, and therefore the least tested. I use to run a special-based, late game setup sweeper in this spot, who was very effective last generation, but I feel can't keep up with the power creep in the current version of UU. I looked at the five Pokemon I still had and tried to figure out what I was missing the most. What I decided was this:

• My biggest weaknesses from a type perspective are Ghost, Grass, Ground and Water.
  • Without entry hazards, Dragon Tail is largely wasted on Milotic.
  • I can't take special hits very well. Milotic and to a lesser extent Gardevoir can do it, but they aren't EV'd for it.
  • I have no real counter to Fairy-types.

Roserade solves three and a half of those problems, and meshes with the rest of the team very well. She resists Grass and Water, takes neutral damage from Ground, is a Spiker, gets SE STAB against Fairies, and can be a fully self-sustaining special wall, who can use a Leftovers-like item without taking away Milotic's Leftovers.

Giga Drain is the move every wall wants. It is a fairly powerful STAB with good coverage, but that also heals you. Roserade doesn't have to pick between dealing damage or managing her HP. Sludge Bomb is further STAB coverage that has the additional benefit of hitting Fairy-types for Super Effective damage. Spikes solves one of my main ideological problems with walls by giving her something to do once she's in, and also makes Milotic's Dragon Tail actually have a purpose. Furthermore, entry hazards in my experience both of this generation's version of UU and last generation's version tend to be fairly non-existent in this tier, both in terms of laying and removing them. Once she sets up Spikes, more often than not they stay up. Finally, Synthesis allows her to heal a more sizable chunk of health than Giga Drain if I manage her HP poorly or she gets hit by something unexpectedly large. Rest is another option a lot of people like on her due to Natural Cure, but I prefer being able to heal without being forced to switch. Sleep Powder now being legal with Spikes on Roserade is another new feature this generation, but Sleep Powder's horrible accuracy is part of why I switched away from my previous thing and towards Roserade in the first place. However, remember that this is the newest member of the team and therefore much less tested. I'd be open to convincing arguments contrary to Synthesis.

108 Speed EVs allow her to outspeed defensive Zapdos (and as a side effect, Adamant Bisharp), Claydol, and any reasonable* Mega Blastoise, as well as a plethora of other assorted threats throughout the tier. These are the primary Rapid Spinners and Defoggers of the tier that I'm aware of, but I'd be open to increasing or decreasing her Speed EVs. The remaining 148 EVs go into her Special Defense, along with a Calm nature. Black Sludge lets her restore HP without taking away Milotic's HP recovery item, and Natural Cure allows her to cure status easily. All in all, I think Roserade is pretty much the perfect sixth member.

*Mega Blastoise would have to invest more than 200 EVs into Speed in order to outpace this Roserade, and most invest none. However technically, a fully invested Mega Blastoise, even without a positive nature, can outspeed this Roserade by about 10 points. If that happens, la-dee-frickin'-da.

Name Origins:

Spoiler'ed for those who don't care and don't want to see the text.

Spoiler:- Name Origins:

Conclusion:

This team has been through many iterations and has existed for a long time. It is very battle tested in Generation V, but less so in Generation VI. I'm not really expecting to make any wild, massive changes to the structure of the team; mostly I'm looking for verification that all my EV calculations are correct and that I'm not overlooking some big new threat that Generation VI brings with it. Any comments or insights would be good though; thanks for reading.