Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you like to see voices added to Pokemon games?

OMG yes.

Anyone who has heard a Pikachu faint would agree.
    "pik-a-peekkkaa....."
    XD

But it would be a lot of work for them, especially human characters..
    Last edited by Silicone; 28th March 2014 at 4:23 PM.

Omg YES!!! That would be lovely to hear o7o
    Pokemon Shipper since the early 2000's!

Deviantart --> INNOCENTFATE

Of course I would like to...a few years later though.

Life is like unto a long journey with a heavy burden.
    (Tokugawa Ieyasu)

MBTI personality type: ISFP

You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
    You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
    You have distinct preference of Feeling over Thinking (62%)
    You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (22%)

Not really... I mean, we've seen the worst that can happen...

"Oh boy! I can't wait to bomb some Dodongos!"
    Last edited by supersmew; 1st April 2014 at 7:51 PM.

Saaatoshi!

Quote Originally Posted by supersmew View Post
    Not really... I mean, we've seen the worst that can happen...

"Oh boy! I can't wait to bomb some Dodongos!"
    "I wonder what Ganon's up to!"

Yeah... I could live without it.

Made by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design

Totally! Always would like to know how people would sound, before the Anime comes around! ^.^
    Also, if they could give Pokemon their cries from the Anime, that would be great. Just like Pikachu!
    Claimed Braviary, Masamune Date, and Pokemon Conquest
    "Dragons are loyal, and they will always see their mission through."
    "In the wake of my demise, may you still continue." Source of gifs

I think having a silent protagonist and other speaking characters would just be awkward. Also, I don't know what I would want the characters to sound like outside of the anime.

No, I don't see the charm in voices in games. I'd much rather just read it. Sometimes the voices in video games are kind of annoying, too - and for a game like Pokemon, that would probably be the case.
    Currently not playing any Pokemon Games, you can check my Backloggery for games that I AM playing, if you're interested:

If I'm playing a Pokemon game, I'll have my signature display the game I'm playing, current team, and badge number.

Not in the slightest. Every single Pokemon game relating to Pokemon, except Stadium 1 & 2\Puzzle League\Snap (I think?), have had no voice overs what-so-ever. The only voices in those games mentioned were during battles in Stadium 1 & 2 with the announcer and just the trainers when you had combo blocks in Puzzle League. Changing now would be the silliest and, in my 100% honest opinion, stupidest things ever to do.

I feel like if they did, a lot of people wouldn't like it. As mentioned before in a previous post, it'd be EXTREMELY awkward to have only villains and\or the protagonist speak and nobody else. Just imagine how many different voice actors would be needed for just ONE new Pokemon game or a remake? Reading it is so much funner and gives the player more imagination to just believe what a character would sound like.

But yeah, voices in the games is not a good idea at all in my opinion. I feel like if they were to do this (even though unlikely since most Nintendo games don't include voices unless they HAVE to), they should have it so you can enable\disable the voices much like you could do with the announcers in Pokemon Stadium 1 and Pokemon Stadium 2.
    \

I'm not sure voice acting would add anything meaningful to Pokemon games. It would be super expensive, and pull funds away from developing the actual game itself. Additionally, remember- These are portable games. Many of us play with the sound off, and are in public places while playing. So the voice acting wouldn't be fully heard by the intended audience anyway, making it even more inefficient in terms of quality per dollar to cast voice actors.

I personally don't think I'd like it, but if there was an option to turn it off I'd be fine.

For Pokemon no. Humans yes, but only in side series games. I literally hated how Pikachu had it's own voice. It sounded weird... Humans having voices in the side series games would be fine be me. It might be pretty cool too...
    Current Omega Ruby Team

Ask.fm | Tumblr | Credit

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanic Typhlosion View Post
    "I wonder what Ganon's up to!"

Yeah... I could live without it.
    "I won!"

---

Also on the topic of voices, I can imagine there being an uprising of fangirls who did not have their favorite character's voice be perfect...
    *i would join them*

Saaatoshi!

Voices would be pretty cool, especially for younger players who can't read well. Besides, a possibility would be having an option to turn them off.

I've claimed Shadow the Hedgehog!

Alpha Sapphire shall be mine!

For everyone but the main character you play. Since the 1st gen i've enjoyed making voices for each character on the basis of their appearance and dialogue, but i could live with voice overs for everyone but the main character. One of the best parts of pokemon is that the absence of sound from the characters, specifically the main character, makes the player feel personal and instills the notion that it's your journey.

718/718 Pokemon caught as of 4/13/14
    Pokemon X FC: 2638-0594-6140
    Serebii.net Claims:
    -The Drill Pokemon, Nidoking

Not at all. I like how Red was always quiet while you played as him and how he never had his own text or voice. It really made me make my own character and imagine him. It was up to the players interpretation what the characters sounded like and their mannerisms. I feel it would ruin the whole "do it yourself" aspect of Pokemon.
    All credit for this banner goes to Red's Mount Silver Art Shop at Bulbagarden

I've always imagined the conversations and the voices of the characters.

I think it would actually harm my overall enjoyment of the games if voices where added.

As it is now it's sort of like reading a book, the story is there and it doesn't change but you can imagen it how you will.
    To lack fear is stupidity, to face it is bravery.

No.

First - voices naturally limit things. With a voice, the character is no longer who you imagine, but becomes the voice. You're no longer free to imagine who and what the character is, but are locked into the devs' notion of who and what s/he is.

Second, and much more importantly, voices take up time, budget and memory. If voices are included in a game, they're included IN PLACE OF something else. Everything is finite - there's only a certain amount of time, a certain amount of money and a certain amount of memory available to the game. There are MANY things that are more important to Pokemon games than voices could ever be, but if voices are included, it's just about guaranteed that at least some of those things would be limited or even cut entirely, simply to make room for something the games really don't need anyway.

I would like to see some voices in game for humans in the series, however I rather not hear some voice not just yet maybe in the future when the handheld or console better to run it along with that other big data for the game itself, also it has to be good voice acting, really good.

I believe Pokémon is better off without the voices. Even though I start to play most games in English nowadays, I don't even want to imagine what the voices would be like in my first language. x_x That would be a real nightmare. It could be okay in English if you have the option to turn them off, but still, I don't really think voices are needed. Except maybe for some special cutscenes or in a game for the home console.

No, nintendo is not the best judge of voices, and besides i don't know how i would react. I like having my own interpretation of what my character is saying, which is why i love LoZ so much - i choose to forget the dark ages...

Pokemon has been voiceless from the start, except the grunts and cries of pokemon - i like reading the text, even tho i mash A sometimes to speed through some, mostly nurse joy. I do agree that it would be a big help to those who can't read, and if they EVER do implement voices i would seriously hope they add the option to turn off the voices. But i just don't see it being of any good besides that - helping those who have a hard time reading.
    - Dead Account -

no. the "trademark" of pokemon is exactly that. no voice. just music and pokemon cries

Quote Originally Posted by Iblis Trigger View Post
    Voices would be pretty cool, especially for younger players who can't read well. Besides, a possibility would be having an option to turn them off.
    If you can't read it you shouldn't be playing it. The only exception in my opinion is if someone can only get a different-language game (because it's only in Japanese or something). The games are not intended for blind/illiterate people.

In any case I am strongly against voices for the games. I remember the disappointment I felt playing Spectrobes for Wii and hearing the voices. As an older player there are numerous aspects of the games I find childish, and I do not begrudge Nintendo for that, as it's my own opinion and not an issue, however I feel like this feature would alienate a lot of players (typically older ones) who prefer strategic gameplay over a more anime-esque style.
    My Decade of Pokemon Games: December 25, 2004-November 21, 2014
    LESRXDCPFPF DSSWB2XAegislashHawluchaYDelphoxMalamar
    AS ?

My favorite PS replay-Sableye wrecks Mewtwo, Giratina, and Arceus

I don't think like full on speech without dialogue is needed in Pokemon,but dialogue with like a word or sentence,like Fire Emblem:Awakening,would be nice.I really loved the voice clips in Awakening,so maybe they could have generic ones for random NPCs,and special ones for non-random NPCs.The player has to stay silent,though.That has charm.

"Go and do not falter, my child!"
    I have claimed Inigo,Fire Emblem for the GBA,Open Your Heart from Sonic Aventure and Electabuzz!

Also Pokemon would be a very awkward game with voices idk.. its just the pacing of Pokemon and the voices wouldn't seem to match up. Pokemon games either move really fast (XY/BW2/RSE) or really slow (HGSS/DPPt/BW).
    All credit for this banner goes to Red's Mount Silver Art Shop at Bulbagarden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12