Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: An Appetite for Battle! (818)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyAsADunsparce View Post
    I liked this episode a lot. Clemont's development, Bonnie and Dedenne battling, Serena and Bonnie's interaction, Clemont being the cook, the way Delphox looks in the anime, and the sound track was really good too. The BGM was on point, too bad the dub will most likely change that.

Also I only just noticed Team Rocket wasn't in this episode at all. Can't say I missed them.
    but at least that's something new for the writers, keeping tr in minimal episodes i actually find out better

fyi: that waiter's pose looks like cilan's

This was a pretty decent episode. Seems most Clemont episodes save for the Mega Mega Mega Mecha Meowth one have been better than the typical XY episodes.

The story wasn't anything to write home about, but it did a few things I really appreciated. Seeing Ash pushed to the background for a change was a welcome diversion from the norm, and not having Team Rocket around allowed this episode to do things to stand out instead of being another tired "Team Rocket gets stopped by the starring Pokemon" bore. Serena and Bonnie's moment was cute, but I think it would have been better if there was more relationship building between them leading to this, and Serena can't run on random cute moments alone forever.

I think this might be the first episode where I actually liked the new art style. The COTDs had great designs; the old woman reminded me of a Studio Ghibli character in her design and the old man's was humorous without being ridiculous. Delphox really stood out in design too.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Quote Originally Posted by Pepsi_Plunge View Post
    Lol your example makes no freaking sense, if you said Palpitoad sure but Oshawott had great chemistry with Satoshi...out of so many pokemon, like Muk, Tauros, Palpitoad, etc you couldn't have chosen a worse example.

Remember that Oshawott followed Satoshi because he wanted to be with him, remember the great moments they had together with Oshawott initial training, etc.

Crappy example :P.
    I remember Oshawott having a bunch of goofy antics and Ash rolling his eyes nonchalantly for a few seconds before never mentioning it again. He was basically oblivious to anything Oshawott was doing except for a couple times when he was failing in battle.

The interaction between Clemont and Chespin actually works on a character level, and both have had a tangible impact on the other even in the short time they've been together. What effect did Oshawott ever have on Ash?
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013

Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by RVD_fan View Post

The interaction between Clemont and Chespin actually works on a character level, and both have had a tangible impact on the other even in the short time they've been together. What effect did Oshawott ever have on Ash?
    No Pokemon in BW really had that effect on Ash because BW wasn't about that.

What Mal liked:

* Clemont. This bro is rising to the top of my favorite male characters in the series.
    * Clemont/Chespin connection. All the Clemont-centric episodes have been a step above the rest.
    * Clemont blocking the fire with Aipom arm
    * Nicer artwork/animation
    * Solid BGM
    * No Team Rocket
    * Cute Serena/Bonnie moment

What Mal disliked:

* I have to agree with TGB. Even though they only had time for a brief moment, Serena/Bonnie's interaction could have been an opportunity for some quick development if they cut out some extra fluff.

Overall, I give this episode 4.5 stars out of 5.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

I loved that Froakie & Fennekin were just smiling at each other in one scene. I found it very cute.

XtradionarY episode, hands down after a string of episodes I’ve found it incredibly hard to care about outside of a few passive scenes a strong new episode is just what the doctor ordered. Naturally, that strong episode was Clemont-focused and fantastic at that. Clemont was great, but he’s not the only one, the Blonde Brigade were all absolutely entertaining and great in their own rights this episode. Even Serena, her personality was on-point for all of the episode and she wasn’t bland to me like I’ve been finding her for a while now. When the writers have her around Bonnie(Or Clemont, but Bonnie especially.) and don’t have her constantly connected to Ash Serena truly does thrive to me as a character in entertainment value a lot.

So much to say about her in this episode, she was cute, dynamic in her actions for a good amount of the first part, had great interactions and all. Her game of “Who’s That Bug Pokemon!” with Bonnie, her fawning over Clemont’s food. I do wish she had showed more interest in Delphox since it’s Fennekin’s evolved form, even if it was praise for it being amazing or disgust at its design not being as stylish as her cute little Fennekin’s. I like how they didn’t forget her dislike of roughing it, in the Dedenne capture episode she was pretty unnerved by the idea of having to camp it out and was overjoyed when Nurse Joy came to her rescue and raced Fennekin to the Pokemon Center. Seeing her interact with the Lemon Siblings a good amount and her moments with them made me smile, it does distract and keep me way more tolerate of her lack of significant focus not connected to Ash and a raison d’etre of her own.

If she can be this entertaining consistently, I can easily be way more patient. Oh and having her learn to camp out, while it’s not super significant, I’ll take it as some nice character development for her. I’m just happy she’s getting some fun growth. Bonnie, those Tyrantrum PJs are gonna be the death of me. We need to see more of that awesome sleepwear. Also her battling, even if it was small, was quality. I was just happy to see her battling, no matter how short it was just seeing her doing it was entertaining. Pretending to be a Caterpie also earns her bonus points in my eyes.

Clemont, man, man, man, easily my favorite thing about XY thus far. Without a doubt this episode reaffirms him as my favorite male traveling companion as well. I just can’t believe the effort the writers are investing into his character, he was engrossing from start to finish this episode. He just has a certain joi ne sais quoi about him, nothing can stop him and the show-stealing Blonde Brigade. Aside from having great personality this episode(Liked that waiter/butler pose), him and his Chespin snowballed in character development. That scene where he jumped in front of a Flamethrower while using his Aipom arm to keep the little chestnut from getting eaten by the flames went hard as hell. That reminded me of how he said he wanted to gain more courage, he struggled with doing it at first, but he made a split decision for Chespin’s sake to save it and reclaim it as his Pokemon. Even though he was seriously hurt to see Chespin so happy with that old woman and thought it would be better off with her and without him.

The thing I loved about Chespin too is that its reaction was mutual, it returned the favor by bravely rejoining the fight under Clemont’s control, even while overweight and with its fear gone.(Which reminds me that Chespin is based on a knight/warrior/fighter, certainly does fit well with a trainer looking to gain more courage, no?) The way it battled was much more sharper and better, showing Clemont’s newfound motivation sort of resonated with Chespin’s own feeling. Though I wish the weight loss had been gradual throughout the episode, having it subtly melt flab throughout the battle worked well for me. Pretty unique little struggle for it this episode, I don’t think a Pokemon having an excess amount of fat has ever been used as an episode idea. Gotta give the writers props for the innovation in this episode. And that Tackle against Delphox was very sharp and quick, credit that to the nice animation of this episode.

Overgrow was a nice little surprise too and I like how the battle was left with no conclusion. Chespin got to show itself as being competent, got itself some nice training/conditioning, Delphox wasn’t taken out which I admit would have been a reach. Oh and the COTDs of this episode, the old, married couple managed to be pretty entertaining and Delphox looked very badass in the anime and I liked how it looked way more in the anime compared to the apathy/mundane attitude I had toward it during its initial reveal. I absolutely hope Serena’s Fennekin becomes one in the future now.

So, yeah, an amazing episode, coupled with the greatness of the Blonde Brigade exceeded my expectations after the string of un-fufilling episodes leading up to this one. Someone already brought it up, but the writers need to do something with the greatness of Serena’s baking skills and Clemont’s cooking skills. Let’s have the XY cooks hang out together.

I'm also glad for no Team Rocket this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    "I want to be as brave as Ash" my butt. Clemont is far braver, not to mention smarter.
    Lol Ash jumped from the Prism Tower, took on a Flame Wheel, etc. Clement is smarter but not braver, at least not as of now.
    - Claimed:

-XY, already better than Best Wishes.xD

Pokemon Y Team:

Greninja
    Talonflame
    Pikachu
    Venusaur
    Flygon
    Aggron

3DS FC: 1993-7360-7585

So like……that was pretty much the best XY episode since……the LAST Clemont focused episode actually, starting to notice a trend here…
    I loved Chespin being adorable and having a ravenous appetite, but what able to develop into a decent battler again by the end of it. I love how Clemont seems to be getting character development when he was willing to take a fire blast to the face just to save Chespin, a great sign of growth that I hope continues down the line.
    I liked how Ash was in the background for most of the episode, as it keeps it’s focus where it should, on Chespin and Clemont.
    The mock battles at the beginning were funny and entertaining and hey, even Serena is a tad more active then she usually is (to say nothing of her adorable scene with Bonnie).
    And I really love the old man COTD and Delphox, the two make a great pair.
    So overall, good episode of XY, lets hope this trend continues when we focus on the other sibling.
    Oh and NO TEAM ROCKET

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    The COTDs had great designs; the old woman reminded me of a Studio Ghibli character in her design .
    Yes, this is exactly what I thought too!

Nice episode, i wasn't too interested but it was good.

Crazy how we're getting fillers yet they're actually entertaining and feel worthwhile. I'm surprised they pulled the "oh no my pokemon doesn't like me anymore" card. I think had they gave the saga more time it could have been much more emotional.

6/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter ゴースト View Post
    Nice episode, i wasn't too interested but it was good.

Crazy how we're getting fillers yet they're actually entertaining and feel worthwhile. I'm surprised they pulled the "oh no my pokemon doesn't like me anymore" card. I think had they gave the saga more time it could have been much more emotional.

6/10.
    Truthfully I think the fact that it's so early made it better. Clermont could have thought that chespin decided that it made a mistake joining him and left. Which would be way more believable seeing how short he had it.
    Friends are family you choose

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter ゴースト View Post
    I thought this fit the bill for a non-filler?
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Just saw this episode... and I really liked it. Not only there's character development for Clemont, but some nice group interactions too, which was great. Unlike the dub, the BGM was very fitting for this episode. They even used some BW music and music from the movie 12. I really like the BW anime music, so it'd be nice if they use both BW and XY music in the future episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    I thought this fit the bill for a non-filler?
    Froakie is revealed to know Pound and Chespin is revealed to have Overgrow Ability, so yes, this IS a non-filler episode.
    Last edited by PokemontrainerY; 8th February 2014 at 5:53 AM.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by KibaLG8 View Post
    Lol Ash jumped from the Prism Tower, took on a Flame Wheel, etc. Clement is smarter but not braver, at least not as of now.
    If I may quote Game of Thrones:

'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?' 'That is the only time a man can be brave.'
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013

Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

I thought this episode was pretty solid. I liked the interactions between the characters and thought it had a good balance between humour and action. The lack of TRio also made this episode really refreshing, I was relived to see them not here.

I MUST give a special mention to Delphox. I loved this Pokémon before and this episode made me like it even more. This episode really did make it look great and did far more justice to it than the games ever did. I really want to see another one now (Which I think is almost certain because starter). I also noticed Serena was the one to scan it in the Pokedex. I didn't understand a word they were saying, did Serena react to it at all? Because I will be disappointed if she didn't, because this Pokémon is something her Fennekin could become and I would have loved to see a reaction.

I was disappointed that the pacing was a bit too quick for this episode. Everything happened so fast it was over before it begun. And I kinda wanted to see Fennekin battle Chespin as well as it has still barely done anything. Other than those, this was a fairly entertaining episode.

Let's hope here we can see another Delphox in the future. Did it even use Mystic Fire here?

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Let's hope here we can see another Delphox in the future. Did it even use Mystic Fire here?
    No. The man damaged his back before Delphox could used Mystical Fire, leaving the battle open-ended.

I'm almost certain Delphox will appear again in the future given it's a starter. Plus, I'm certainly in favour of seeing it again after this episode.

lol at the delphox, the pokemon sure knows how to understand human speech. and that face

Quote Originally Posted by CRVEmaster View Post
    I didn't understand a word they were saying, did Serena react to it at all? Because I will be disappointed if she didn't, because this Pokémon is something her Fennekin could become and I would have loved to see a reaction.
    No, all she said was that basically it was a fire type and she was worried because chespin is a grass type.
    Friends are family you choose

I'll bet you anything the dub is gonna call this episode "What does the Delphox say?"

Quote Originally Posted by uncutpokemon View Post
    I'll bet you anything the dub is gonna call this episode "What does the Delphox say?"
    Naaah.

If anything, it'll be, "Burning Fat At The Drop of a Wand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonicbro View Post
    No, all she said was that basically it was a fire type and she was worried because chespin is a grass type.
    I see. Well that's very disappointing. This could have been a perfect opportunity for Serena to acknowledge Delphox being an evolution of Fennekin because if I recall correctly, the Pokedex mentions that. Would have been nice to see her say something along the lines of "I hope my Fennekin becomes that" or "I really don't want my Fennekin to become that". Part of me is also disappointed than Fennekin was barely in this episode at all, because I would have loved to see it's reaction to seeing it's evolved form as well.

Can't have everything, I guess. Maybe next time......

Quote Originally Posted by CRVEmaster View Post
    I see. Well that's very disappointing. This could have been a perfect opportunity for Serena to acknowledge Delphox being an evolution of Fennekin because if I recall correctly, the Pokedex mentions that. Would have been nice to see her say something along the lines of "I hope my Fennekin becomes that" or "I really don't want my Fennekin to become that". Part of me is also disappointed than Fennekin was barely in this episode at all, because I would have loved to see it's reaction to seeing it's evolved form as well.

Can't have everything, I guess. Maybe next time......
    The thing is, she scanned Delphox when she and the others were worried about it attacking Chespin, so it would feel out of place if she acknowledge it like that. If anything, I'd understand if she at least said something like, "That's Fennekin's evolved form?" since it's a nice non-specific response to show that she's both surprised while still more focused about Chespin

Black2/
    Heart Gold/X Trainer Card:
    • Name- Dale Hudson
    • Status- Hearing from Cheren that Team Flare has attacked the Aspertia Academy and blew up the school to try to get me to leave Kalos
    • Idols- Tucker Satoshi, Red, Cynthia, Alder, Lance
    • Hometown- Aspertia City, Unova, USA
    • Graduated from- Aspertia Academy

I usually don't post my thoughts about an episode, but for this one I just had to. This episodes was truly magnificent, it was for me because Delphox was just amazing in animation and its aloof facial expressions. Delphox was on POINT. After seeing one, I'm hoping that Serena's Fokko does evolve all the way, the only Pokemon I'm looking forward to being on the main cast.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast