Thread: One-Mon-Per-Generation OU Team

Default One-Mon-Per-Generation OU Team

So I wanted to create an OU competitive team that included one Pokemon from every generation. I'm going to go over the though processes I've had and show how I arrived at these points.

It should be noted that this intended for OU Singles cartridge play. I have not fully constructed the team yet but I have as of earlier this morning gotten a few wins on the Showdown Ladder. I'm not scoring anything fancy but a lot of my mistakes seem to be prediction based rather than team construction based.

I have a couple replays if you wish to watch:

Spoiler:- Replays:

I should probably try and find a replay of me losing horribly or something...
    I've copied this post's main contents a couple times so there may be a bit of a instances where I refer to the team not being finished, etc.

Spoiler:- Team Building Process:

The Team

Venusaur (Dinoaea) @ Venusaurite
    Relaxed / Chlorophyll -> Thick Fat
    Synthesis / Giga Drain / Sludge Bomb / Earthquake
    252 HP / 88 DEF / 168 SpD

This is a mixed attacking, mixed wall; and the intended "lead." Not because it's good as a lead, but to get that Mega-form out so the defensive buffs from Thick Fat can ease later switch-ins...and because I don't really have a lead. Earthquake hits Steels like Aegislash, Lucario, Heatran, and Charizard-X either on the switch or who try to fight out Venu and otherwise wall this set. Synthesis and Giga Drain provide recovery because Leftovers is missed.

Venusaur takes the Grass, Electric, and Poison attacks aimed at Azumarill and Rotom-W, the Bug Attacks aimed at Latios, the Water Attacks aimed at Talonflame.

Azumarill (Azularill) @ Choice Band
    Adamant / Huge Power
    Aqua Jet / Play Rough / Waterfall / Superpower
    168 HP, 252 ATK, 4 DEF, 84 SPE

Hit hard, hit fast, hit now. Azularill's incredi-vasting attack stat and priority from Aqua Jet makes things cry about their mothers. Play Rough replaces the historical Ice Punch to hit Dragons, Darks, and Fighting Types. Waterfall is for reliable STAB and Superpower hits Steels like Ferrothorn, Empoleon, and others who try to resist your STABs. Hit-and-run, revenge killer.

Azumarill takes the Dragon and Ice attacks aimed at Latios, the Fire and Ice attacks aimed at Venusaur, and does big damage to Dark-users for Latios.

Latios @ Choice Specs
    Timid / Levitate
    Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Surf / Trick
    252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 SPE

This is the same idea behind Azumarill except as a special attacker. The -2 from Draco Meteor doesn't matter too much when you can switch in and out easy and ignore Spikes, T. Spikes, and Webs. Psystrike is to hit the blobs and for the second STAB, Surf is for Heatran and Tyranitar, and Trick cripples walls.

Latios evades Ground-type attacks for Venusaur, resists Electric and Grass for Azumarill and Rotom-W, Water, Fire, and Fighting for Exacdrill, and Water and Electric for Talonflame.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Bold / Levitate
    Volt Turn / Hydro Pump / Will-o-Wisp / Pain Split
    248 HP / 216 DEF/ 44 SPE

Venusaur is a mixed wall while Rotom-W is far more physically oriented. This is a bit more effort on my part to acquire. I have a Rotom-W with Pain Split but it's Modest meaning I have to play around with Rotom on BW for a little bit...or find someone willing to make the swap (*sigh*). Rotom-W is the momentum earner with Volt Turn and hits Fire-Types hard with Hydro Pump. WoW and Pain Split are for the very utility you'd expect. Rotom is in the fight a lot, and is generally my go to switch for physical attackers.

It ignores most EQs for Venu, but shares it's Grass weakness with Azumarill. It can eat Stray Ice Punches and Beams for Latios. Rotom-W is such a good pokemon...

Excadrill (Toph Beifong) @ Assault Vest
    Adamant / Mold Breaker
    Rock Slide / Rapid Spin / Earthquake / Iron Head
    120 HP / 136 ATK / 252 SpD

I didn't want the Sandstorm related abilities because weather is too incidental now, and Mold Breaker allows it to hit Levitaters like...well Latios and Rotom-W (and let's face it, Rotom-W is everywhere)! Iron Head is for slower Fairies and Rock types and STAB, Rock Slide hits fliers and also has a decent chance to flinch. Rapid Spin because the entire point of including Excadrill was Rapid Spin. This is not the original version of Excadrill, as originally this was a Swords Dance version w/ Air Balloon, but I've changed to AV because I never really used Swords Dance. The extra bulk is appreciated as it allows me to make better user of Excadrill when I otherwise would have never done so. Toph is finally getting used and I'm quite pleased with the change to AV.

Talonflame (Bloodwing) @ Sharp Beak
    Adamant / Gale Wings
    Swords Dance / Brave Bird / Roost / Flare Blitz
    EVs: 168 HP / 252 ATK / 4 DEF / 84 SPE

Talonflame is really, really good. I'd personally prefer using Flying Germ and Acrobatics over Brave Bird simply because I HATE the recoil and the damage is similar enough, but Flying Gem hasn't been released yet so Sharp Beak BB it is. I have an issue at the moment with Talon. I'm not replacing it, it's too good, but I don't know if I still want to use the SD version. I've been contemplating U-turn, but I tend to hesitate on bringing in Talon because I had Life Orb for the longest time. We'll see what happens.

I eliminated my earlier Skarmory problem by replacing Surf on Latios with Thunderbolt, which has worked wonderfully and gets more usage than Surf every did (probably thanks to Rotom not having a "proper" Electric STAB to spam). I'm currently unaware of any gaping issues on my team.

Flavor: I still need cool nicknames for Latios and Rotom...preferably not from The Last Airbender, I've kind of already got 2. ^^;
    Last edited by Yogi Bear; 6th April 2014 at 4:51 AM.
    VM me any offers/questions/comments/etc.
    FC: 2964-8582-7368
    Friend Safari: Nosepass, Magcargo, and Barbarcle (ROCK)
    Looking for Advice on a Gen VI OU team I'm building.
    And my 6th Gen Trade Shop is here.

I'd like advice on whether or not to keep Bloodwing as a sweeper. I find the annoying problem of LO recoil and recoil from Brave Bird and Flare Blitz to be rather self-destructive and so I wind up getting Talon dead a lot. I've thought about replacing SD with U-Turn to form a VoltTurn Core with Rotom, but considering how I haven't gotten any feedback, period, I was hoping for some criticism before moving forward with the change.

Life Orb isn't too good of an item on Talonflame because you die much quicker with LO, Brave Bird, and Flare Blitz recoil. If you want a decent item, try Sharp Beak. It increases the power of your Brave Bird by 20%, turning it into a 216 power priority move(factoring STAB)
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by FlareBlitz3000 View Post
    Life Orb isn't too good of an item on Talonflame because you die much quicker with LO, Brave Bird, and Flare Blitz recoil. If you want a decent item, try Sharp Beak. It increases the power of your Brave Bird by 20%, turning it into a 216 power priority move(factoring STAB)
    I'm going to make that swap blindly. I have never liked the self-recoil damage that came out of it on a Pokemon that's so weak to Stealth Rock. Again, here's hoping for Flying Gem Acrobatics, but I still don't know what to do about SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi Bear View Post
    Excadrill (Toph Beifong);
    I see dat Avatar reference!

Anyways, that's the only reason I'm posting, but I might as well give you a couple tips so this isn't spam LOL.

- Throw Stealth Rocks onto Toph instead of Rock Slide and move EVs to 252HP 252 Spd. Also, replace Assault Vest with Air Balloon. I know it's "standard", but Talonflame really hurts Venusaur (Talonflame hurts everything) and Charizard is everywhere.
    - You *might* want to consider switching Latios for Noivern. Both run Timid w/ Specs, and while Noivern has less Sp.Atk, it's added speed lets it outspeed almost everything in OU. It's personal preference though, as Latios is pretty fast already.

If you hate the Talonflame recoil, try this:

Talonflame, Sitrus Berry / Liechi Berry
    Adamant, Gale Wings
    The EVs are your choice
    -Swords Dance
    -Brave Bird
    -Flare Blitz
    -Acrobatics

Basically you sweep until the berry kicks in and then use Acrobatics. Roost isn't so good because Talonflame isn't bulky enough. This is actually the moveset I use, by the way, and it's awesome.

Spoiler:- League Badges::
    Userbars:

Quote Originally Posted by PR0F3550R_B055 View Post
    - Throw Stealth Rocks onto Toph instead of Rock Slide and move EVs to 252HP 252 Spd. Also, replace Assault Vest with Air Balloon. I know it's "standard", but Talonflame really hurts Venusaur (Talonflame hurts everything) and Charizard is everywhere.
    - You *might* want to consider switching Latios for Noivern. Both run Timid w/ Specs, and while Noivern has less Sp.Atk, it's added speed lets it outspeed almost everything in OU. It's personal preference though, as Latios is pretty fast already.
    I agree with B055 here that you need rocks on your Excadrill and that you may need to switch your EV spread as you need to get these rocks off quickly. Air Balloon is a great item on Excadrill and you may need it to get safe switches into Choiced Mold Breaker Earthquakes.

As for Talonflame I would suggest that you try a Bulk Up variant with Roost, this will help with the recoil and makes Talonflame much more of a threat as he can stick around for longer.
    3DS Friend Code: 2895-7887-7462
    I live in Eastern Time (GMT -4)

I haven't used a Swords Dance Talonflame before, but aside from U-Turn instead of Roost, may I offer Tailwind instead: its utility support is great and you have several pokemon that look like they could make good use of it. I used a Talonflame with Tailwind in the Battle Maison and I assure you it is a sweet feeling seeing a Breloom outspeed and OHKO an Aerodactyl and Archeops with Bullet Seed.

Oh, and for nicknames, how about Franky for Rotom-W? (OP reference).
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran