Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 35 of 35

Thread: Community POTW #017

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spaz View Post
    I love how people are mentioning that this guy's Water and Flying STABs provide good coverage. Now, before anyone else says this, ask yourself: Aside from Hidden Power Flying and Bounce, what Flying Type attacks can Gyarados learn?
    Yeah... I try to type my typing reviews as pokemon neutral so I can recycle the type when it comes up again. Gyarados' is so limited in its secondary STAB that its funny. Frankly, in my opinion, bounce is arguably the best of the 2-turn moves, because aside from Ferrothorn (which is admittedly a common switch) the paralysis chance on Bounce screws even switch ins that resist it.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.



    FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mestorn View Post
    Yeah... I try to type my typing reviews as pokemon neutral so I can recycle the type when it comes up again. Gyarados' is so limited in its secondary STAB that its funny. Frankly, in my opinion, bounce is arguably the best of the 2-turn moves, because aside from Ferrothorn (which is admittedly a common switch) the paralysis chance on Bounce screws even switch ins that resist it.
    IT's a shame really, because if Mega Gyardos was a Water Dragon, it could totally make use of moves like Outrage and Dragon Tail. Instead, he gets the potentially awesome Payback, A bit more reliable Bite, and a special based dark pulse.
    Meet Tropius, the once good Grass type nerfed in X & Y

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sonnytapman View Post
    IT's a shame really, because if Mega Gyardos was a Water Dragon, it could totally make use of moves like Outrage and Dragon Tail. Instead, he gets the potentially awesome Payback, A bit more reliable Bite, and a special based dark pulse.

    also his only weakness would be fairy type attacks

    FC: 2294-4517-3671 (IGN: Alen)
    21.4.2014. National Pokedex completed

    Psychic friend safari:

    Pokegym League gym badges earned:
    Astral-Shadow and The-Under for the frontier userbar
    and Turpoo for the battle reef userbar
    and Azulart for the gym badges

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by venom1950 View Post
    also his only weakness would be fairy type attacks
    I think you're forgetting Dragon types.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Honestly the key way to play Mega Gyarados is knowing WHEN to mega evolve. For example, standard Gyarados has access to Intimidate, which you may need if your opponent has a powerful Physical attacker. Also, you may not want to Mega Evolve if you're facing Bug types/Fighting types right off the bat. For example, Gyarados VS Conk. You won't want to smashing Conk when mega evolved because of the newly regained fighting weakness. Same thing with Scizor, Genesect, etc.

    However, Mega Evolving would allow switching easier because of a nullified Stealth Rock Weakness and giving Gyarados an immunity to Psychic types and not taking quite so much from electric attacks.

    the attack tho
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Summoning Missingno
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Gyarados getting a Dark-type Mega Evolution is useful, but would really benefit from Crunch, especially with THAT Attack stat. So yeah, Gyarados is still limited to Water-type STAB, or Bounce and Bite. Although, that attack stat can cover for a lack of STAB moves. As for moves, Earthquake and Aqua Tail are absolute must-haves on any set, for STAB and Electric killing, although Gyarados is quite often outsped by Electric types. Bounce and Bite are the other viable STAB moves for non-mega and mega respectively. As for other moves, Payback actually works well due to the sub-par Speed, and Dragon Tail can remove a stubborn Physical wall. Stone Edge can hit hard as well. All in all, though, Gyarados still suffers from a poor movepool, and the typings don't really help much. Even as Mega Gyarados, most Thunderbolts will 1-2HKO the creature.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    Friend Safari- Phantump, Drifblim, Shuppet.
    FC: 2793-1931-7921
    Time zone- London-GMT
    Showdown alt: Delta-Omega
    RIP Crusade's Order
    May the memories of it last many times longer than the guild.
        Spoiler:- VO stuff:

  7. #32

    Default

    Mega Gyarados takes Electric-type attacks surprisingly well. For instance:

    252 SpA Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 254-302 (76.7 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

    That's Choice Scarf Thundurus-T, essentially the most powerful Electric-type Scarf user in the game, and it fails to net a OHKO without prior damage (in fact, it's only a 25% chance even after Stealth Rock). Mega Gyarados also takes weaker attacks such as defensive Rotom-W's Volt Switch with incredible ease, which lets it set up all over those guys. 95/109/130 bulk with Intimidate on the first switch-in is just jaw dropping.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Mega Gyarados takes Electric-type attacks surprisingly well. For instance:

    252 SpA Thundurus-T Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gyarados: 254-302 (76.7 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

    That's Choice Scarf Thundurus-T, essentially the most powerful Electric-type Scarf user in the game, and it fails to net a OHKO without prior damage (in fact, it's only a 25% chance even after Stealth Rock). Mega Gyarados also takes weaker attacks such as defensive Rotom-W's Volt Switch with incredible ease, which lets it set up all over those guys. 95/109/130 bulk with Intimidate on the first switch-in is just jaw dropping.
    Its actually a 100% Chance with Stealth Rock. Megados cant switch into Stealth Rock without mega evolving first...

  9. #34
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Mega Gyarados
    Intimidate w/ Gyaradosite/Assault Vest
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 252 Sp Defense, 6 HP
    Waterfall/Aqua Tail
    Payback/Bite
    Earthquake
    Ice Fang/Outrage/Iron Head/Avalanche

    Countering
    High Defense & Attack w/ Electric/Rock/Grass/Fighting/Bug/Fairy-type moves like Wild Charge Tauros/Bouffalant/Klinklang, Thunder Fang Durant/Tyrantrum, or Thunder Punch Dragonite.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

  10. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
    Its actually a 100% Chance with Stealth Rock. Megados cant switch into Stealth Rock without mega evolving first...
    True, that was just to show off its bulk. Still, it's not completely unreasonable for Gyarados to switch into some status move/Ground move/etc. without Stealth Rock down, Mega evolve while it forces the opponent out, and switch in with Stealth Rock down later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •