Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041
Results 1,001 to 1,012 of 1012

Thread: Religion in today's society

Quote Originally Posted by Baba Yaga View Post
    Again, that isn't what's being debated. You started off by saying religion isn't the issue and that bigotry is. I took you up on this, and the best you can muster is "Yeah, but I'm awesome" No one is saying what people can and can't believe. I am arguing for what people should and shouldn't believe.
    Then I can accept that. And really, I'm far from awesome if I'm to be honest. While I don't use misuse my religious beliefs, I definitely fail in other ways at time. Sometimes problematic, but harmless behavior and other times thoughts I shouldn't have.
    Last edited by Antiyonder; 5th December 2014 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiyonder View Post
    Or we could critique the person themselves for not handling their beliefs correctly.
    How do you know which beliefs are correct? At least in the case of Christianity, you can't exactly ask the authors of the Bible how their seemingly contradictory book should be interpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegiscalibur View Post
    How do you know which beliefs are correct?
    I didn't say, nor infer anything about a correct or incorrect belief, but merely that there is a right and wrong way to express it.

I didn't say, nor infer anything about a correct or incorrect belief, but merely that there is a right and wrong way to express it.
    And which way is the right way? Every religion has a different opinion.
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 31% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

^^^Basically anything that doesn't infringe on the rights of another. I mean, Mormons are entitled to say wanting to avoid coffee and certain other drinks their religion finds taboo, but they still need to respect that Non-Mormons aren't going to deny themselves such.

^^^Basically anything that doesn't infringe on the rights of another. I mean, Mormons are entitled to say wanting to avoid coffee and certain other drinks their religion finds taboo, but they still need to respect that Non-Mormons aren't going to deny themselves such.
    I agree, but where does this opinion come from? What tells you this? It's certainly not your religion.
    ~Author's Profile ||~|| <Fly High Graphics> ~
    ~rTTL: Chapter 3: 31% ||~|~|~|| rAVT : Chapter 2: 0%~

Quote Originally Posted by Brutaka View Post
    I agree, but where does this opinion come from? What tells you this? It's certainly not your religion.
    What do you mean by "where does my opinion come from, if not from religion"?

At any rate, I'd rather be able to relax for the weekend, so can we just agree to disagree and move on?
    Last edited by Antiyonder; 6th December 2014 at 10:11 PM.

If you think these things can be said politely without losing any of the original content, how would you for example say "You're a sinner and you're going to hell" politely?

Something like "I would kindly like to inform you that according to my religion you are an evil person and will regrettably spend an eternity in torment, for which I am sorry"? Doesn't help much, does it?

^^^Maybe there isn't. But then you're assuming that all people in religion place themselves on a pedestal and go around lecturing people frequently.

^^^Maybe there isn't. But then you're assuming that all people in religion place themselves on a pedestal and go around lecturing people frequently.
    Fact is, quite a lot of them do.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

^^^Ok, but again, a person can only be held accountable for their own actions/comments.

At any rate, I'll accept the fact that I failed on my part of the debate, but I'd at least ask that I'm not stereotyped as a bible thumper.

I'll even concede to flaws I've committed on the forum overall, like being too into the shipping stuff, being nitpick and even being redundant in many threads I've posted in and going too far in a response to a poster who I found homophobic.

But fine, I've failed in this thread and am out.

Edit: I will add this though and if it's invalid, I'll accept it declared as such. Even if I felt that other should join my religion and that it was the only valid religion, I don't know. I think it means more when a person does it for their own accord, rather than to appease a family member, a friend or just out of peer pressure. But then any big decision should be made on those grounds.
    Last edited by Antiyonder; 7th December 2014 at 12:14 AM.

Does religion have a place in society? Absolutely! At the very least, religion, along with shared history, culture, ethnicity etc. act as things which bind a society together. I'm of the general opinion of morality as a social, not individual institution. Religion should be promoted (perhaps not by the government, especially in the US) as a way to promote virtue in general. I'm not super picky in regard to what religion, just something beyond, "I'll believe what I want, society be damned!". Though I'd also be in favor of increasing the exposure of classical Greco-Roman philosophy, or even just philosophy in general. Given how easy information can be accessed in this day and age, philosophy should be something everyone has access to.

To clarify, while I'd support something like a National church/religion to help bolster national unity, I'd never support the abolition of religious freedom, or punishments for those who don't follow the established faith.
    Nothing's coming to me at the moment. I'll get back to you guys.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041