Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A Conspiracy to Conquer! (822)

oh god malamar i think has the creepiest voice- what's the sound again like mala-mala in a deep voice.

Quote Originally Posted by raigeki333 View Post
    oh god malamar i think has the creepiest voice- what's the sound again like mala-mala in a deep voice.
    You know, after hearing how Malamar's RAW VA said Mala-Mala like that, I'm starting to think/hope that maybe the dub will keep it & not use an English VA
    Last edited by Mr.Munchlax; 14th March 2014 at 2:23 AM.

Black2/
    Heart Gold/X Trainer Card:
    • Name- Dale Hudson
    • Status- Fighting one of those weird warrior cosplayers again who are now after Calem for some reason
    • Idols- Tucker Satoshi, Red, Cynthia, Alder, Lance
    • Hometown- Aspertia City, Unova, USA
    • Graduated from- Aspertia Academy

Pretty fantastic episode overall. It easily lived up to the hype for me. This and Snorlax last week are my two favorite XY episodes, and I’ve liked every single one beginning with the Fat Chespin episode. Next week looks great too, so that’s a streak of six excellent episodes in a row. That’s not a common thing to see in any series.

I don’t get why people are upset Team Flare didn’t actually show up. A cameo ala Team Galactic in DP036 would have been a nice bonus, but when you take everything that was revealed right at the end of this episode without explanation - Malamar’s Pokemon army, the “soon our grand plan will begin and we will take over the world” without saying who the “we” and “are” is - there is no way this isn’t foreshadowing either Team Flare or an anime-exclusive antagonist controlling Malamar.

That’s what really brought this episode a step higher. The plot itself was fairly standard “Pikachu and other Pokemon are controlled” fare, which we saw plenty of in Episode N, but this time it actually went somewhere instead of Pikachu magically breaking the control every time (which is why Team Plasma’s Pokemon Manipulation! and Meowth, Colress and Team Rivalry! are my favorite of the “controlled Pokemon” Episode N episodes.) What this episode did that it had to accomplish was kick off something ongoing in XY. That’s why I thought the early episodes felt so forgettable, without any rivals or real ongoing storylines there wasn’t really much going on. This episode, by blatantly setting up Malamar and whoever controls it as recurring villains, fixed that.

And Malamar makes for one hell of a villain, too, judging by this episode. They weren’t kidding in the title for once, Malamar really was pretty terrifying. The little touches they put on it, such as the unnatural way Malamar moved around, the zombie voices of its victims, and the way it stalked Clemont and Bonnie in the hall helped boost up the unsettling atmosphere, not to mention that weird “organic” room at the end and Malamar being intelligent enough to set off the traps when the plan was blown.

Intense from beginning to end, thankfully not derailed with Team Rocket’s humor (and their one real joke moment, the realization that Inkay evolves into Malamar at the end, was actually well done and pretty funny), this episode was just what XY needed.

On the technical side, the music choices for this episode were excellent. It’s a shame the dub will probably ruin it all. The animation was great, too. The artwork was unfortunately not up to par again - it reminded me at times of the Butterfree and Noivern Da! episodes - but judging by how good the last four episodes looked, this is an anomaly. Next week’s episode looks like it’s back to the improved norm, too. I’m not worried.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 17: The Bard and the Diva
    Next: Winter of Discontent

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Really like the creepy mood created in this episode. I wonder what the glowing room was? Also what is the system that Malamar was building?What can it do? Is the "we" implicating an evil organization and if so is he the leader or a follower? So many questions. I'm very interested. I guess the good thing about not being sure if team flare is involved is that we can't really predict what's going to happen next.

This was probably the best XY episode. Pacing was great and the music and atmosphere was amazing. Not to mention it was great setup for more Malamar down the road. I'm still pretty sure he'll get mixed up TF some way.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

A surprisingly good episode, I must admit, but the subtle hints to TF's involvement better be real. If Malamar is his own 'mon, I can actually see episode repeating itself 6-8 times throughout the saga.
    "I'll spout simplistic opinions for hours on end, ridicule anyone who disagrees with me,
    and generally foster divisiveness, cynicism, and a lower level of public dialog!"

3DS friend code: 4356 - 0645 - 2703
    Friend Safari: Masquerain, Pinsir, Paras

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

I also have to mention how cool Meowth was this episode, actively opposing and fighting Malamar and willing to scratch himself in the face for the sake of avoiding mind control was pretty hardcore.

And I sincerely hope Malamar comes back as he makes for a badass villain. Man this episode was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post

And I sincerely hope Malamar comes back as he makes for a badass villain.
    i definitely am going to wait for the day malamar comes back and starts a new threat with ash & co. love to see something like this once in a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post
    And I sincerely hope Malamar comes back as he makes for a badass villain. Man this episode was good.
    Quote Originally Posted by raigeki333 View Post
    i definitely am going to wait for the day malamar comes back and starts a new threat with ash & co. love to see something like this once in a lifetime.
    If Malamar does comeback, I just hope it has other ways of utilizing its hypnotic abilities because while turning people into zombie-like slaves is definitely creepy, it can only go so far. I'm hoping it can hypnotize people to do stuff like act like pokémon, alter their memories and personalities to think they're other people (kind of like what happened to Officer Jenny/Madame X), or have them hallucinate to see either their greatest desires or their worst fears
    Last edited by Mr.Munchlax; 14th March 2014 at 12:22 PM.

Black2/
    Heart Gold/X Trainer Card:
    • Name- Dale Hudson
    • Status- Fighting one of those weird warrior cosplayers again who are now after Calem for some reason
    • Idols- Tucker Satoshi, Red, Cynthia, Alder, Lance
    • Hometown- Aspertia City, Unova, USA
    • Graduated from- Aspertia Academy

I can't help but to wonder if the writers made this whole thing ambiguous on purpose.

Like, remember that we we were supposed to get a two-parter that introduces Plasma back in early BW but then the disaster happened and the sequels happened and there was a change of plan. This way, by keeping things ambiguous, writers can utilize Malamar however they want it. We know it's working with someone and that there's a plan, but that can be anyone or anything. It's vague enough it can work out even if the next set of games changes things to a greater degree. They can just use Malamar and fit it into any story they like.

Wow these writers do "dark stuff" very well, if the anime was more of this, mixed with cute fun, we would have a great show on our hands, oh wait, we already do

EDIT: !=/!= lol
    Last edited by phanpycross; 14th March 2014 at 5:30 PM. Reason: needed complex rating

Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    Wow these writers do "dark stuff" very well, if the anime was more of this, mixed with cute fun, we would have a great show on our hands, oh wait, we already do
    We said the same thing with early BW until everything went down the toilet. It's too early to tell if the quality will be consistent till the end.

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Special: Ace Attorney - All Breakdowns (+ PL & PW:AA)

I really hope we see this mischievous Malamar again! Great plot and for once I'm excited to see where's this is going!

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    I can't help but to wonder if the writers made this whole thing ambiguous on purpose.

Like, remember that we we were supposed to get a two-parter that introduces Plasma back in early BW but then the disaster happened and the sequels happened and there was a change of plan. This way, by keeping things ambiguous, writers can utilize Malamar however they want it. We know it's working with someone and that there's a plan, but that can be anyone or anything. It's vague enough it can work out even if the next set of games changes things to a greater degree. They can just use Malamar and fit it into any story they like.
    I thought the exact same thing as well, i just didn't say anything since i figured it would start some controversy.

It's very logical thinking really, i feel like ambiguous foreshadowing actually work better than being told what's going to happen right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post

It certainly makes sense, and if that were true, then this would definitely pave the way for multiple potential scenarios! I'm now certainly glad they didn't make it clear who Malamar's true master is, since the current ambiguity is certainly advantageous!

I have the feeling that there'll happen something with inkay later in the future episodes.
    It could be joining Malamar to evolving into a malamar.

James with malamar doesn't really fit I guess. I mean, cacnea didn't evolve either.
    The evolution method is spinning it around so maybe when they get 'blasted off again'
    Or Malamar can use it's psychic powers to rotate/spin whatever inkay.

Also, wouldn't inkay's psybeam have no effect on malamar?

At the moment number 10 in double battles of the Netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Bariokie View Post
    I have the feeling that there'll happen something with inkay later in the future episodes.
    It could be joining Malamar to evolving into a malamar.
    To me, that looked more like a joke on TR's part, since they figured out that Inkay evolves into the very thing that hypnotized them.

Although, if Inkay does evolve into Malamar, it could lead to interesting scenarios...

Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Oblivion's Wrath View Post
    To me, that looked more like a joke on TR's part, since they figured out that Inkay evolves into the very thing that hypnotized them.

Although, if Inkay does evolve into Malamar, it could lead to interesting scenarios...
    All will be revealed once we see Inkay fighting upside-down and something happens out of it.

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Special: Ace Attorney - All Breakdowns (+ PL & PW:AA)

There has to be more to this Malamar. Normally fillers wrap their plots up within the episode, but Malamar was just left behind in its lab, not exactly defeated.

I liked Team Rocket in this episode, especially the ending scene. It's nice to see a team with more personality than all four Unova Pokemon so early. I think this actually increases the chances of Inkay evolving to show that not all Malamars are like this. It could be playfully aggressive.

breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    There has to be more to this Malamar. Normally fillers wrap their plots up within the episode, but Malamar was just left behind in its lab, not exactly defeated.

I liked Team Rocket in this episode, especially the ending scene. It's nice to see a team with more personality than all four Unova Pokemon so early. I think this actually increases the chances of Inkay evolving to show that not all Malamars are like this. It could be playfully aggressive.
    Oh come on, Ash´s unova pokemon had personality, Only pidove, palpitoad, and boldore post evolution, lacked personality, what the heck is fletchling´s personality, compared to godshawott.

Why are we even bringing BW up, XY isnt a good show, on the premise of being better than BW.

Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.

HYPE

Once again this show exceeds my expectations. That plot twist with Jenny being Malamar's mind-slave was pretty clever. Looking forward to how this whole thing unfolds.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    We said the same thing with early BW until everything went down the toilet. It's too early to tell if the quality will be consistent till the end.
    There's no reason why it shouldn't. DP delivered with Team Galactic/J, and they at least had big plans for the BW conflict. Only thing stopping them was the Earthquake from that year.
    Last edited by Emperor Empoleon; 15th March 2014 at 2:30 PM.
    ~ Return to Hoenn! ~

Let me just say this episode certainly lived up to the title.

Malamar was indeed terrifying, from it's actions to it's voice. But most of the episode was pretty predictable; we've seen mind control plots plenty of times before. It wasn't a bad episode though, Meowth actually doing useful things was a highlight.

I loved the Team Rocket gag at the end too, as they figured out that Inkay evolves into Malamr. Could lead to something interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    Oh come on, Ash´s unova pokemon had personality, Only pidove, palpitoad, and boldore post evolution, lacked personality, what the heck is fletchling´s personality, compared to godshawott.

Why are we even bringing BW up, XY isnt a good show, on the premise of being better than BW.
    Whoa, settle down. I was referring to Team Rocket's Unova Pokemon. Hence the 'four.'

breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    No, it was using Madame X to help it construct a system it didn't explain the actual purpose for.

It's not alone, it was talking about "we", "us" and "our" after Madame X had been unmasked. There are others involved here.

The episode was primarily just setup intended to get us speculating. There were several mentions of a larger plan, but they were very broad, so we have no real hints towards what it will involve.
    I want to answer to that:

I think that is to give the impression that Malamar is Xerosic's Malamar ut don't appear in the series for if sequels happens mid series to feature the updated evil team/Team Flare. Outside that, I don't see why not make an appearance (not even a silhouette).

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    Out of curiosity ... what has Pumpkaboo did so far to tell it has personality?, so far, since Jessie caught it, the only thing I recall it did after it's "Debut-battle-where-it-gets-its-power-drained-for-plot-reasons" is floating around and get OHKO'd

OK, finally watched the episode:
    - Who filmed the footage Team Rocket was watching?, Wobbufet?
    - Wow, it looks like Jessie's Pumpkaboo is the Super Size one, is really big
    - Only Ash believed in Meowth ... again, classic Ash
    - That Malamar was scary, but that Pikachu-tracking robot Clemont made was what nightmares are made from D:
    - When James saw the kids entering in the place he said "They had powerful Pokémon like Froakie and Chespin, we should get them too" ... poor, poor Fennekin
    - I'm reading posts criticizing Serena shocking for preferring being brainwashed over having scratches on her face (she is a future Pokévision star after all) , well, I don't think any of the other girls would wanted that either: May and the other girl would reacted exactly the same (coordinators has to keep the style), Misty and Iris would just punched Meowth in the face and/or commanding an attack against Malamar
    - Power of science > Power of friendship
    - It looks like Malamar was growing Metroids in that room
    - Yup, all of this sounds kinda Flare-ish, I hope it is
    Last edited by Squirtle_007; 17th March 2014 at 9:42 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast