Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community POTW #022

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Anything that can get rid of Thick Club is a HUGE check to Marowak. Pickpocket Ability, while rare, can make Marowak think twice about a few Moves it can use, but many of Marowak's Moves don't make Contact. Embargo, while equally rare, might also have use due to its lack of predictability since it's so rare, but only neutralizes Thick Club temporarily.
    Uhh.... It's not rare, it's nonexistant. Anything that has an ability other than pickpocket will use it, including Weavile, since Weavile relies on a Life Orb to deal damage. You're not gonna find that ability in any serious competitive play. Embargo is just simply for in game so the elite four stop using this damn full restores. No one is gonna use Embargo in competitive unless they have no idea of how to play the game.

Marowak @ Thick Club
    Trait: Battle Armor
    Brave Nature
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    - Bonemerang
    - Rock Slide
    - Knock Off/Iron Head
    - Ice Punch

A pretty basic Marowak to be paired with a Trick Room user. Rock Slide hits Charizard and Talonflame while Ice Punch is primarily for Dragons, but also keeps Marowak from being completely defenseless against Grass-types. Knock Off prevents Mons like Slowbro from completely walling Marowak and is often a safe option when you are anticipating a switch. Alternatively, Iron Head could be used over Knock Off to help take care of Fairies (I feel that Knock Off is useful in more situations than Iron Head though).
    † I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.†

~RIP User Four-Twenty April 20, 2014-April 20, 2014~

Seriously, this guy HAS to learn rock polish soon, it's just not fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
    Uhh.... It's not rare, it's nonexistant. Anything that has an ability other than pickpocket will use it, including Weavile, since Weavile relies on a Life Orb to deal damage. You're not gonna find that ability in any serious competitive play. Embargo is just simply for in game so the elite four stop using this damn full restores. No one is gonna use Embargo in competitive unless they have no idea of how to play the game.
    But there's Knock Off, which is very existent. It's everywhere and that would be a huge check to Marowak.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrolled View Post
    But there's Knock Off, which is very existent. It's everywhere and that would be a huge check to Marowak.
    I wasnt talking about Knock Off. I was talking about the things that guy brought up. I know Knock Off is everywhere.

I would post a set, but literally every competent person who posted here chose the right one. But just in case:

Marowak @ Thick Club
    Adamant Nature
    Rock Head
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
    -Bonemerang
    -Stone Edge
    -Double Edge
    -Thunder Punch

Set is simple: max HP and attack investment allows him to hit hard, while having decent bulk. Bonemerang is chosen over Earthuake because it is able to break Substitutes and hit through Sturdy. 90% is good enough for this role. Stone Edge is for the infamous EdgeQuake combo, while Double Edge is to abuse Rock Head and get coverage against the Grass/Fighting types that resist Edgequake. Thunder Punch is for flying and water types.
    Last edited by Cloneblazer12; 28th March 2014 at 12:44 AM.

Doubles Pros and Cons

Pros
    -Spectacular Earthquakes and Rock Slides
    -Good Synergy with Trick Room
    -Resists Rock Slide

Cons
    -Surf and Blizzard bait
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

Why is everyone posting Bonemerang? Is breaking Substitutes really worth 10% less accuracy? Who's Substitutes are you breaking besides like, Klefki's?

To be honest, being able to wipe that smug grin off of Boo-Boo Keys' face when it thinks it's safe behind a Substitute is probably more than enough satisfaction to compensate for a 10% chance to miss.

Oh yeah, and I guess being able to OHKO Deoxys-S through its Focus Sash and break other random Substitutes is cool too. But it's mostly about sticking it to SwagKeys.

Quote Originally Posted by What does the Dephox say? View Post
    Why is everyone posting Bonemerang? Is breaking Substitutes really worth 10% less accuracy? Who's Substitutes are you breaking besides like, Klefki's?
    To be 100% honest, 90% Accuracy is more than enough of a trade off to break subs. As Jesusfreak said, Kalefki is the most notable one, but there will always be others. Breaking sashes on leads is always nice, such as Deoxys S and Galvantula.

It's the exact same Reason why Garchomp runs Dual Chop every once and a while, but Bonemerang is much more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
    To be 100% honest, 90% Accuracy is more than enough of a trade off to break subs. As Jesusfreak said, Kalefki is the most notable one, but there will always be others. Breaking sashes on leads is always nice, such as Deoxys S and Galvantula.

It's the exact same Reason why Garchomp runs Dual Chop every once and a while, but Bonemerang is much more powerful.
    Plus, if you have been routed by Substitute, Sturdy, and Focus Sash for long enough, you make sure it never becomes a problem again. I'm a little bit scarred psychologically by Substitute if all of you couldn't tell by now.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    To be honest, being able to wipe that smug grin off of Boo-Boo Keys' face when it thinks it's safe behind a Substitute is probably more than enough satisfaction to compensate for a 10% chance to miss.

Oh yeah, and I guess being able to OHKO Deoxys-S through its Focus Sash and break other random Substitutes is cool too. But it's mostly about sticking it to SwagKeys.
    Which brings up something I never considered. Does Foul Play copy Thick Club's offensive boost?

Quote Originally Posted by What does the Dephox say? View Post
    Which brings up something I never considered. Does Foul Play copy Thick Club's offensive boost?
    Nah, I don't think so. Besides the opponent's Atk stat and any Atk boosts/drops they might have, all other damage modifiers (item boost, ability boost, burns, etc.) are based on the user instead of the target.

Battle Armor w/ Thick Club
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 130 Defense, 128 Sp Defense
    Bonemerang/Earthquake
    Smack Down
    Brick Break/Power-Up Punch
    Aerial Ace/Iron Head/Swords Dance/Fire Punch

Countering
    High Defense & Sp Attack with Water/Grass/Ice-Type like Energy Ball Cofagrigus, Tangrowth, Slowbro, Glaceon, Wash/Mow Rotom, or Gorebyss.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 29th March 2014 at 5:50 AM.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Alright, here's my shot at making an interesting Marowak set.

Is this guy a Bonehead?
    Marowak
    Assault Vest
    Sassy/Careful nature
    Rock head
    252 Sp. Def/252 HP/4 Atk/
    ~Bonemerang
    ~Double Edge
    ~Ice Punch/Ice Beam
    ~Knock Off

This set is more of an intimidation set than anything else. Normally you'd expect a Marowak to be Physical, both offensively and defensively, but a specially defensive Marowak will leave your opponent puzzled and scared of what you will do next. "could he be running a Choice Specs Blissey? a defensive Rampardos? or perhaps even a physical gengar?" while those might not be the actual thoughts running through their mind, they will be more cautious of what you will do next, and might just lose confidence in their ability to predict you.

Just to show that Marowak does have the special bulk needed for this set to be viable for this purpose, here are a few damage calculations:
    252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Marowak: 144-170 (44.4 - 52.4%) -- 18.8% chance to 2HKO
    252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Marowak: 177-208 (54.6 - 64.1%)
    -2 252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Marowak: 88-105 (27.1 - 32.4%) Draco Meteor from a Specs Latios is not even a 2HKO
    4 SpA Gastrodon Scald vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Marowak: 90-108 (27.7 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO
    252+ SpA Gengar Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Marowak: 120-142 (37 - 43.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You should run Sassy nature if you choose Ice Beam over Ice Punch, or if you're planning to use the Marowak in a Trick Room team. Otherwise, go for the Careful one.
    While Ice Punch might seem to be the better option at first, Ice Beam could come in handy against physical walls.

Don't expect your Marowak to put in some serious offensive work if you run this set, unless you have a Baton Passer on your team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodelaus View Post
    Alright, here's my shot at making an interesting Marowak set.

Is this guy a Bonehead?
    Marowak
    Assault Vest
    Sassy/Careful nature
    Rock head
    252 Sp. Def/252 HP/4 Atk/
    ~Bonemerang
    ~Double Edge
    ~Ice Punch/Ice Beam
    ~Knock Off
    See, here's my problem with Assault Vest Marowak; aside from using Knock Off to annoy by removing an item, what does it really accomplish? It can't really threaten anything in return, and can end up being setup bait for a lot of Pokemon, especially Mega Evolutions who don't really have to worry about losing their item to Knock Off.

It's creative for sure, but unlike things like Conkeldurr, Tyranitar, Metagross, etc, it lacks the natural power to abuse Assault Vest; it's not just about the special defense, its users need to have enough power to ensure things are still threatened by them, since the lack of support moves means a lot of things can attempt to set up with impunity. Without Thick Club, it's stuck with its meager base 80 attack, which will just sort of tickle things rather than forcing them out.

"could he be running a Choice Specs Blissey? a defensive Rampardos? or perhaps even a physical gengar?"
    Nobody legitimately worries about any of those things. Yeah, people won't expect them, but at the same time, they're all so gimmicky and outclassed that people don't need to worry about them.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mestorn View Post
    In terms of status, Marowak is very dependent on its ATK, so burning it takes the edge off of its attacks.
    I thought gen 6 took away the burn of halfing your attack????
    A proud father of three boys who all enjoy pokemon.
    Daddy 1306-7055-3939
    Normal AipombLoudredEevee
    Breed and Train Competition Pokemon, but don't really battle, unless requested.
    Looking for 3/4 iv ditto.
    Am able to breed all pokemon without Ha. Do custom orders and give me time.

Quote Originally Posted by VahnDeathHeart View Post
    I thought gen 6 took away the burn of halfing your attack????
    No. Burns still halve a Pokemon's attack unless they have Guts, which Marowak doesn't, so it's very easily screwed by a burn.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco
    See, here's my problem with Assault Vest Marowak
    As i stated in the first post, it is basically there to instill the fear of unpredictability in your opponents, and make them doubt their ability to predict you. With a single perfect prediction/misprediction being all it takes to turn the tides of a battle quite often, this "sacrificial" 'mon may just be worth it.
    It has just enough special bulk to be viable in my eyes, but hey, to each their own.

As for being setup bait: yeah, that might be a minor problem, but there are ways to work around setups with the other pokés in your team. Red Card, Punishment, Roar, Psych up, etc. too bad marowak can't learn Punishment or Dragon Tail.

Also, the Blissey, Rampardos and Gengar were just the first things that came to mind when i was thinking about what would be surprising to encounter, and should just be taken as examples. which is why i wrote "while those might not be the actual thoughts running through their mind" next to it.
    Last edited by Hodelaus; 30th March 2014 at 5:19 AM.

To be frank, Thick Club is the single greatest reason that Marowak is ever used anywhere, even in NU. Without Thick Club, Marowak becomes a terribly mediocre Pokemon due to its disappointing Atk stat and very low speed. It's pretty much completely worse than Sandslash, if that was even possible. Sandslash has more power, more speed, more physical bulk, and Rapid Spin for additional utility, while Marowak doesn't really do much besides switching into attacks moderately well while hitting pretty softly. If you want a bulky NU Ground-type for an Assault Vest set, you'd be better off with something like Golurk. Besides having a bit less physical bulk, Golurk is far better with its much greater Atk stat, better special bulk, slightly better speed, and handful of extra resistances/immunities thanks to its secondary Ghost-type. If there's one thing that Marowak has that sets it apart, it's its incredible power when holding its signature item. So yeah, Thick Club or bust.

Thing is, this is neither a Sandslash nor a Golurk discussion topic, and i got bored by seeing thick clubs everywhere, so i decided to think outside the box. And once i'm done with Layton vs Wright and Ground Zeroes, i'm actually planning to breed a Marowak for Assault Vest purposes just to try it out. Because theory is one thing, and i'd like to try it out to see if it will work like i intend for it to do.

Thing is, this is neither a Sandslash nor a Golurk discussion topic, and i got bored by seeing thick clubs everywhere, so i decided to think outside the box. And once i'm done with Layton vs Wright and Ground Zeroes, i'm actually planning to breed a Marowak for Assault Vest purposes just to try it out. Because theory is one thing, and i'd like to try it out to see if it will work like i intend for it to do.
    Its too weak. If you wanna do it, go for it. You just wont get the results youre looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12