Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Going for Gold (825)

Huh? Ash remembered Stunfisk and Piplup, but used Pokédex on a Magikarp? The writers needs to stop making him scan the Pokémon he already saw many times. Good to see Serena trying to catch a Pokémon for once. Too bad her Fennekin ran away from the battle. Ash teaching Serena about using her fishing line was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    If Ash were to tell Serena that he still keeps that trinket from the time he traveled with his good (lady) friend Misty, she would supposedly "spill spaghetti"/freak out of pure jealousy..
    Very unfunny.
    Last edited by PokemontrainerY; 10th April 2014 at 3:16 PM.
    Pokémon XY

Kalos, Where Dreams and Adventures Begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DaDonYordel View Post
    Are we not just silly people writing silly complaints on this message board?

I almost had a heart attack when I saw those two Piplup walk on-screen. Damn, the writers really emotionally scared us with Dawn's Piplup for life.

So no Misty lure, but we got Piplup instead -.- wow just wow lol

Quote Originally Posted by besho View Post
    So no Misty lure, but we got Piplup instead -.- wow just wow lol
    Maybe the reason why we didn't use it is because he got that Lure from Louden along with the Rod's.

Well we might see Misty's Lure in a future episode since it seemed Louden let the group keep those Fishing Rod's he gave for trying to help him catch that Golden Magikarp.
    Last edited by Lucario At Service; 10th April 2014 at 4:10 PM.

Is anyone surprised Serena didn't ask about Dawn? Ash actually said he traveled with a Piplup before, but since he didn't say he owned it I'm surprised Serena didn't ask about it.

Much in the same way back in DP where the lure appeared and Dawn asked about Misty....it would have been interesting if here Serena asked about Dawn. Dawn is more familiar to current kids watching the show and now that she's two gens old Dawn is nostalgic to the younger fanbase much like Misty/May are to us.

This was a filler of a filler. Literally one of the biggest fillers ever. AND I LOVED IT! This episode was almost everything I thought it would be. There sure were lots of Water Pokemon and I was certainly not expecting to see the Piplup species here. I thought for sure Piplup would be saved for a DP remake 20 years from now. But seeing Bonnie interact with one was so cute. I never had a problem with Piplup unlike half this forum.

The episode itself was enjoyable. Almost everything was great. The old fisherman and his Clauncher were entertaining characters. Old men in Pokemon are generally entertaining for me. Clemont delivers like he always does and he made not one but two devices. I loved how that Sharpedo swarm destroyed his first one and for good measure the remote blows up in Clemont's face. Bonnie once again demonstrates why she's such a good fit to the episode. Her small subplot with trying to bond with Clauncher was cute. She was determined to win the king of crab...lobster Pokemon over. That is Bonnie's quest. To befriend and play with every Pokemon she sees, and she was great for me in this episode.

While Bonnie was great today, she was not the show stealer. I cannot believe I'm saying this but after 21 or 22 long episodes Serena takes home the show stealer trophy. The writers finally made good use of Serena. She didn't even do that much, but you don't always have to for this anime to stick out, at least for me. Serena being nervous on how to fish, having to be taught how to fish by Ash and Clemont, and finally trying to catch a Pokemon made this episode. Nothing compares to it IMO. I don't even care that she failed to catch her Pokemon, or that it was Corsola of all things. Serena finally looked like a real Pokemon trainer. A rookie one, and that was today's show stealer. Divakin was used perfectly. I'm glad it didn't fight. Probably didn't want to get dirty and hides behind her trainer so she takes the hit. That was good! I want to see more of this relationship. I just hope they don't become Ash and Pikachu 3.0, it's what killed Dawn and Piplup.

The music was also great. They played the Gym Leader music when Serena's attempting to have Divakin catch Corsola and the Kalos Legendary theme for when they saw the gold Magikarp that only got a 3 second cameo in the episode. This was a good episode. Everyone was used well here, even Team Rocket as the plot device for Bonnie and Dedenne to make friends with Clauncher. Good solid filler episode. I enjoyed it. Probably one of my favorite Kalos episodes. Keep doing episodes like this. And what is up with these random Thunderbolting Starmies?

And no Cyber, I am not surprised that Serena didn't ask about Dawn. Nor do I care. She has zero importance here.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

See Bonnie say happy happy is so cute and I love when the old man danced. It was funny and made me like him . Anyway this episode fun for me and I just enjoyed myself as a good Pokemon filler.

I'm glad that Ash teach Serena about fishing which is very kind of him. Its official, Bonnie has become a new Brock as she propose a marriage on her brother's behalf but Clemont drags her away. Its funny that Bonnie takes over Brock's running gag.
    I am here to help others to solve their problem,and I'm also the big fan of Kissshipping.

FC: 3737-9549-2888
    IGN: Shego

This episode was a filler of all fillers. It put me to sleep and I ended having to just fast-forward through portions of it.

The writers missed a great chance for continuity and mentioning old heroines by not letting Ash pull out Misty's special lure and talking about Misty or mentioning Dawn in the Piplup scene. Of course, Serena would have probably spilled enough spaghetti to eliminate famine in Sub-Saharan Africa if that happened.

Did Serena really need to depend on her Satoshi-kun (and Clemont) again in learning how to fish? And it looked like they were the ones who told her to battle Corsola and capture it, not Serena herself. And did the development from last episode like not carry over, but once again I see Fennekin not wanting to get dirty, and so prevents Serena from still not having her first battle.

Did Ash seriously dex Magikarp? Are you kidding me, that's just as bad as him dexing Koffing in BW...

TR was useless like always, but at least they went old-school with the Magikarp submarine.

The siblings were great in this episode. Clemont with his persistence of two inventions and Bonnie/Dedenne trying to bond with Clauncher. Liked Clauncher and all the Water Pokemon they displayed in this one (yeah Thunderbolt Starmie).

Overall, a very forgettable episode.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucario At Service View Post

Well we might see Misty's Lure in a future episode since it seemed Louden let the group keep those Fishing Rod's he gave for trying to help him catch that Golden Magikarp.
    wait so those rods were given by louden to ash & co as a gift - seems like we will be expecting more fishing episodes to come aside from xy024 and maybe serena can catch a water type too in the future

Did anyone notice that after the second time Clemont said his catchphrase Bonnie said something like "Round two!"?

I saw this episode as really hilarious with a double Clemont running gag plus Bonnie's running gag. And Clauncher was awesome. Loved the crabhammer animation.
    Last edited by Fullgrizzly94; 10th April 2014 at 4:27 PM.
    Still Waiting for this guy right here:

MEGA TYPHLOSION

Props to Tommycase for making this beauty!

This is the second time that Ash dex Magikarp so people stop fliping table about it because it not like Magikarp was Dexed every year or something like that.

The Misty lure didn't appear nor did we get any Misty references just as I expected. It also looks like I was right that this was going to be a filler and that no one was going to catch anything and that Team Rocket had something to do with the shiny Magikarp. Oh well, at least Serena battled for once and attempted to catch her first Pokemon. I didn't expect Piplup to appear here and for Dawn's Piplup to get referenced indirectly. I guess that'll probably be the closest we'll be getting to a reference or cameo of Dawn and Misty in xy lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Personally, I'm a little torn about the scene with the waddle of Piplups in this episode. While they were cute and it great that Ash was able to reference Dawn and her Piplup, it usually bothers me whenever a pokémon makes a cameo in the anime when it's not in the regional dex of their game counterpart. For example, one of my pet peeves with the DP seasons was how there were tons of pokémon appearing in wild or owned by local townspeople that weren't included in the either the DP or Platinum versions of the Sinnoh pokédex, which made it felt like the writers could care less about consistency, logic, or continuity and just threw in any random pokémon at the top of the hat. I kind of had the same problem with that Stoutland appearing in episode 1 and how Nikola's opponent in the Battle Chateau episode used a Dusknoir
        Spoiler:- On Hiatus for the Holiday Season:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Munchlax View Post
    Personally, I'm a little torn about the scene with the waddle of Piplups in this episode. While they were cute and it great that Ash was able to reference Dawn and her Piplup, it usually bothers me whenever a pokémon makes a cameo in the anime when it's not in the regional dex of their game counterpart. For example, one of my pet peeves with the DP seasons was how there were tons of pokémon appearing in wild or owned by local townspeople that weren't included in the either the DP or Platinum versions of the Sinnoh pokédex, which made it felt like the writers could care less about consistency, logic, or continuity and just threw in any random pokémon at the top of the hat. I kind of had the same problem with that Stoutland appearing in episode 1 and how Nikola's opponent in the Battle Chateau episode used a Dusknoir
    Why should they follow everything the game does, it's called having creative freedom. If everything was by the book, it be boring. If you're upset and claiming the writers don't care, then you are letting little things un a anime bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Munchlax View Post
    Your concern would make more sense if the piplups were wild...they were at an aquarium so I think it would be expected that aquarium imports water pokemon from around the world to include in their collections....it would be like the same as going to the Georgia Aquarium and seeing African penguins there...the penguins aren't native to the US but were imported from Africa/ breeders....stuff like this were even alluded to in the games with the milotic statue and the serperior gates (as well as the reshiram and zekrom statues) at Parfum palace even when none are native to Kalos...as for the dusknoir, maybe he's from sinnoh and dusknoir happened to be his favorite partner like pikachu is with Ash so he decided to bring it along to Kalos...
    Last edited by XXD17; 10th April 2014 at 7:22 PM.
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

Future Omega Ruby Team:

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    I almost had a heart attack when I saw those two Piplup walk on-screen. Damn, the writers really emotionally scared us with Dawn's Piplup for life.
    As someone who kinda liked Piplup, I found it to be a cute cameo.

Also, YAY continuity!

Did Serena really need to depend on her Satoshi-kun (and Clemont) again in learning how to fish?
    The fact that Clemont was helping here along with Ash kinda invalidates the "she only depends on Ash" argument you were trying to make there in this case. It's just friends helping out friends
    Last edited by Soniman; 10th April 2014 at 8:21 PM.

Serena totally didn't need the help of her friends.

What is this show doing, teaching girls that they can depend on their friends when they are unfamiliar with something.

So stereotypical.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    Serena totally didn't need the help of her friends.

What is this show doing, teaching girls that they can depend on their friends when they are unfamiliar with something.

So stereotypical.
    What are you complain ing about and brining up that word. Why now with Serena it's a problem she needs help with fishing and trying to catch a Pokemon?

I was being sarcastic. There is absolutely no problem with Serena needing assistance.

She never fished before.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    I was being sarcastic. There is absolutely no problem with Serena needing assistance.

She never fished before.
    Don't do on forums, it's hard to tell anyone is serious, the t word, or trying.

They did reference Dawn's Piplup? That's surprising.

A fun little episode. Clauncher was cool, if Ash didn't already have Froakie he'd make for a good water type. Nice to see Serena try to catch a Pokemon, hopefully they keep building that up and make it a big deal when she finally does catch one. I like the Bonnie finding Clemont a wife gag because it's used sparingly enough that I usually don't see it coming.
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013

Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

- What a nice view. How I wish the pokemon world was real ;_;
    - Haha at the Bonnie-marriage-gag. It never gets old for me
    - Well, there's a pokemon that Bonnie didn't find cute for once (Relicanth)
    - The Mantine from the games makes an appearance; cool
    - PIPLUP! OMG!! This makes me miss Dawn & Piplup even more!
    - And for the people who complain about Ash scanning the dex, umm it makes perfect sense. That way, the viewers can hear the dex entry and understand the pokemon more. I mean duh; the episode is about the Magikarp of course.
    - The Magikarp sub is back
    - Aww, I find it cute how Serena didn't know how to fish and Ash & Clemont helped her out. Seems realistic that not everyone is born knowing how to fish in this show
    - At last, Serena tries to catch something. Even if it is an utter failure hehe
    - Fennekin's inner diva comes out again :P
    - LOL at Dedenne teasing the CLauncher
    - Starmie knows thunderbolt. Nice.
    - I like how Ash is the only one excited about Clemont's inventions, and Serena and Bonnie are like "not again".
    - Why were they all blushing when they caught the "golden Magikarp"?
    - Ugh, TR again
    - The Clauncher and Dedenne scene was both cute and funny

It was a nice filler. Not the best, but not the worst either.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Did Serena really need to depend on her Satoshi-kun (and Clemont) again in learning how to fish?
    How dare Ash and Clemont teach Serena how to fish? The blasphemy!
    She had friends who knew how to fish, she had never fished before, but she should have totally ignored that and tried to be independent. God, how silly Serena was.
    Last edited by Sephora; 10th April 2014 at 10:28 PM.

“Into the darkness they go,
    the wise and the lovely. ”

Quote Originally Posted by RVD_fan View Post
    They did reference Dawn's Piplup? That's surprising.

A fun little episode. Clauncher was cool, if Ash didn't already have Froakie he'd make for a good water type. Nice to see Serena try to catch a Pokemon, hopefully they keep building that up and make it a big deal when she finally does catch one. I like the Bonnie finding Clemont a wife gag because it's used sparingly enough that I usually don't see it coming.
    If it does awesome backgrounds like the under the sea one, I will love it forever.

We didn't get Misty's lure...

But the writers didn't leave us hanging and instead allowed Ash to mention Dawn's Piplup.

That made the episode for me. 8/10 filler!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast