Thread: Community POTW #025

Default Community POTW #025

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week as we reach the quarter-century

It's Cherrim. The cute flower Pokémon whose form changes in sunshine. It's capable of a lot, though can be frail when ability is activated

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/421.shtml

Go nuts

Special Sunny Day
    Item: Heat Rock Nature: Modest / Timid
    Moveset
    Sunny Day
    Aromatherapy / Healing Wish
    SolarBeam / Giga Drain
    Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Rock
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Fun in the Sun
    Cherrim@Heat Rock
    Modest nature
    Flower Gift
    252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Sunny Day
    ~Solar Beam
    ~Weather Ball
    ~Dazzling Gleam

Cherrim... ehh. Those stats are nothing to really write home about, but they're still workable. Sunny Day activates Cherrim's Ability and also gets the sweep rolling. Solar Beam and Weather Ball both take advantage of the sunny weather, and Dazzling Gleam is for that extra coverage.

Item is for prolonging the sunlight. Ability is non-negotiable.

Other options:
    *Since Flower Gift ups Attack for reasons I cannot fathom, I suppose a gimmicky physical set is a possibility... Let's check out its physical movepool- huh. Petal Blizzard and Return, that's it? OK, scratch that, this won't work.

Abilities:
    *Flower Gift: Cherrim's one and only Ability. In strong sunlight, Cherrim's Attack and Special Defense stats are increased by x1.5, as are those of its allies in Double and Triple Battles. Why Attack instead of Special Attack, I'll never know... Anyway, this is also accompanied with the changing of Cherrim's form from Overcast Form to Sunshine Form. This doesn't mean any stat changes, it's purely cosmetic.

Partners:
    Pass some Speed to this thing, and fast! Scolipede and Ninjask both work well. Smashpassing is a decent idea as well. Oh, and Sticky Web support, can't go wrong with that, either.

Counters:
    Is its base Speed more than 85? Is its Special Attack at least respectable? Does it get a Fire move? If the answer to all of these questions is "yes", you got yourself a Cherrim counter. Also, Ice Beam Politoed, because Cherrim hates losing the sunlight.

Opinion:
    Honestly, as much of a fan of the underdog as I am, Cherrim blows. Perhaps if Flower Gift boosted Special Attack and Speed we'd have something here. Adding Dazzling Gleam to its movepool was a step in the right direction, but honestly, they need to seriously buff Flower Gift if Cherrim's gonna be any good.

Prediction for next week:
    Dedenne.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post

Go nuts
    lol wish i could!

let's get to work.
    i can see cherrim only on double,triple and multi battles because of its good abillity. and that's more or less what can cherrim offer beside making a sunny battle.

Here comes the Sun! doo-doo-doo-doo!

-toxic
    -aromatherapy
    -sunny day
    -synthesis

252 HP/ 252 SP def / 4 def
    abillity: flower gift
    nature: calm
    item: heat rock

a supportive set i just made up. keep the sun up,heal,remove stats,psn opponent,heal again...no direct attacks

FC: 2294-4517-3671 (IGN: Alen)
    STOP BY MY SUPER-SECRET BASE FOR A DRINK OR TWO
    Psychic friend safari:

Pokegym League gym badges earned:
    Astral-Shadow and The-Under for the frontier userbar
    and Turpoo for the battle reef userbar
    and Azulart for the gym badges

Sunny Day, Solar Beam, Weather Ball and Dazzling Gleam are probably your best options.

If in a double or triple battle, you could pair it with something that has the Drought ability to free up one slot.

Morning Sun or Synthesis could be added to heal it.

Substitute/Toxic/Synthesis could for an interesting combination.
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

Current Y team (champions)

Current X team (6th gym badge won)

Stats
    Cherrim is poor stat-wise. 87 SpAtk isn't that high, and the HP/Def/SpDef spread of 70/70/78 is fairly bad as well. 85 Spd is usable, and the Atk stat isn't worth bothering about. Nothing special really.

Ability
    Flower Gift is unique, and belongs in Doubles/Triples Sun teams, raising Atk and SpDef in sunshine. Situational, and useful in those situations.

Movepool
    Cherrim's special movepool consists of Magical Leaf, SolarBeam, Petal Dance, Energy Ball and Dazzling Gleam, as well as the ever present Hidden Power. Yeah, just Grass and a Fairy. Physical movepool? Don't bother. It is Petal Blizzard, Tackle and Take Down. Just... No. Setup-wise, Cherrim gets Sunny Day, Morning Sun, Synthesis, Helping Hand, Lucky Chant, Worry Seed, Grass Whistle, Aromatherapy, Heal Pulse and Healing Wish. This is where it shines, if it actually ever does. It can heal itself and allies, set up the necessary Sunny Day, boost allies' moves and remove enemy abilities. Handy.

Sets
    Hayfever Blossom
    Cherrim@Heat Rock
    Flower Gift
    Modest
    -Sunny Day
    -Solar Beam
    -Morning Sun/Synthesis/Heal Pulse
    -Worry Seed/Helping Hand

This is a viable set, but Cherrim shouldn't really set up Sunny Day if it can help it. Get a faster ally to do that. Sun+Solar Beam is a useful combo often seen in these circumstances, and then it's your choice of healing move and enemy crippler/ally booster. Simple set for Doubles, as this one shouldn't be in Singles.

Doubles/Triples
    This one is pretty much exclusively used here. It is useless in Singles. Period.

Countering Cherrim
    Hit it. It isn't very bulky, and five weaknesses doesn't help it much. Fire and Ice are still fairly common, and Poison is being used more now for the Fairies. Just don't send out anything with little/no defenses and you'll be fine. I don't think that Cherrim can OHKO any fully evolved Pokemon, and it is easily OHKOed itself.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    Friend Safari- Phantump, Drifblim, Shuppet.
    FC: 2793-1931-7921
    Time zone- London-GMT
    Showdown alt: Delta-Omega
    Started my journey into PASBL, let's see how I fare...
    Team info here.

I never really liked Cherrim. The changing for in the sun is interesting, but more often than not, I see its gloomy overcast form.

With first appearances, Cherrim is a really crappy grass type. No stat above 87, all defenses below 80… there is not much to go on. Cherrim’s main reason for existing comes in its signature ability, Flower Gift, which means Cherrim excels at providing support in a Sun-based Double or Triple team.

I can help… provided the weather’s good
    Cherrim (Flower Gift)
    Item: Heat Rock
    -Sunny Day
    -Solar Beam/Energy Ball
    -Helping Hand
    -Aromatherapy/Grass Whistle
    Timid Nature (+SPD, -ATK)
    EVs: 252 SPD/252 HP/4 DEF

Cherrim’s entire existence revolves around the Sun, so might as well give it the ability to call it itself. Solarbeam has high base power and no charge up in the sun, which slightly mitigate’s the flower’s not very impressive SATK, but its pitfalls may prompt the usage of the more reliable Energy Ball. Helping Hand is useful to improve Cherrim’s partner to new levels of destruction. Aromatherapy protects against status while Grass Whistle can tack out an annoyance.

Other options

-Heal Pulse
    Allows allies to continue reign of destruction

-Healing Wish
    Sacrifice the not so useful Cherrim to bring back something more useful.

-Substitute/Leech Seed
    Because Cherrim can do it, but so many Grass types do it better.

-Weather Ball
    Take that Steel Types! Coverage move, but not a bad one in any weather (besides clear).

-Worry Seed
    Because Slaking partners will love you forever. Gimmick.

Ideal Partners
    Since Flower Gift boosts ATK in the sun, physical Sun sweepers are the best partner’s for Cherrim. Mega-zard X immediately comes to mind, possessing massive ATK, decent SDEF, gets buffed by sun and synergizes well with Cherrim. Darmintan for similar reasons. Sawsbuck, Venusaur and Victreebel are all physical Chlorophyl sweepers, but unfortunately share a type with Cherrim, so field wide moves that they are weak to, will give your side hell. Slacking gets special mention due to the fact that Cherrim can get rid of Truant with Worry seed and buff Slaking’s ATK to levels that are too disgusting to think about.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

Unimpressive without Sun, Cherrim is a surprise to many users and opponents. Flower Gift enables Mega-Charizard to become a great ally (in both variants) for Cherrim. Plus, that Ability really makes it...*sunglasses* shine...yeeeeeaaaaaaaah!!!

Stats:
    -HP - Average - Base 70 is on par with Sceptile, Nuzleaf, and Cacturne.
    -Attack - Mediocre - Base 60 is rather useless without Sunlight, but generates a lovely 360 Attack Stat with a +Attack Nature (1 Stat point shy of Base 115).
    -Defense - Below Average - Base 70 is, simply put, Snores-ville. Could use a +Defense Nature, but Cherrim can't really take a hit at all...
    -Sp.Atk - Above Average - Base 87 is better than nothing outside of the Sun. Can be useful for the Sunny-beam combo, though.
    -Sp.Def - Slightly-Below Average - Base 78 can potentially reach a Sp.Def Stat of 420 with Flower Gift active (an estimated Base 142, two points above Mantine and Kyogre).
    -Speed - Good (Non-Trick Room) - Base 85 won't win many Speed wars, but it's outside of the Base 51-Base 79 Dead Zone at least.

Abilities:
    -Flower Gift - Probably should've made that header "Ability" because that's all Cherrim gets. Love it or leave it, Cherrim's Stats get pretty monstrous in Strong Sunlight. Even better, its allies enjoy the benefit of 1.5x Attack/Sp.Def Stats in Doubles and Triples, too.

Overall, Cherrim is a bit gimmicky, but that gimmick is beastly. A few notable allies with higher Defenses and decent-or-better Attack that enjoy the Flower Gift buff to their Special Defense include Aggron, Torkoal, Metagross, Leafeon, Gigalith, Cobalion, Tangrowth (especially with Chlorophyll/Leaf Guard), Gliscor, Mega-Mawile, Chesnaught, Weezing (especially with Flamethrower and immunity to Earthquake, barring Mold Breaker), Donphan, and Mega-Charizard X. Protect should be highly considered on Cherrim's Moveset if its usage is for Doubles or Triples due to Explosion, Lava Plume, and Earthquake. Drought is another reason Mega-Charizard Y and Ninetales make decent allies.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

what a fun pokemon well It is super easy to counter just use a super effective move and it will go down. although your only problem could be if it inflicts status conditions otherwise easy to beat. Talonflame is a superb counter and it is and a good partner in doubles and triples.

Note: this pokemon should stay out of singles.
    Last edited by Crash & Charm; 18th April 2014 at 8:20 PM.

Default Support

In a double battle, Cherrim can act like an Assult Vest and a Muscle Band that can attack and support the partner as long as him/her/it doesn't mind the sun's rays.

When in Drought, scream and Shout!
    Calm Nature
    Max HP, Little in Sp. Att, and the rest goes to Sp. Def (I'll update this when I check my Cherrim's EV spread)
    Heat Rock

Moves:
    Sunny Day
    Heal Pulse
    Helping Hand
    Solar Beam

Bring out your potential physical sweeper and have them set up while Cherrim gets the sun up. From there on out, have Cherrim boost the partner's attack with Helping Hand or use Heal pulse to restore HP in case the partner can't do so (or you can solarbeam your sap sipping partner lol). Pokemon with physical attack + decent Sp. Def bulk or those with Chlorophyll/Harvest will most likely benefit from this. The sad news is that Steel types, water types, and those with dry skin cannot benefit due to the fact that the sun could be used against them.

Spoiler:- Possible Partners::

Sorry for the long list, but I hope this does justice.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlKirbyZombie View Post
    In a double battle, Cherrim can act like an Assult Vest and a Muscle Band that can attack and support the partner as long as him/her/it doesn't mind the sun's rays.
    I think you mean Choice Band, unless Flower Gift only provides a 1.1 boost to ATK.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

Comment for Cherrim

Ability:
    * Flower Gift - It's a good ability which sadly wasted on Cherrim as his physical movepool is quite shallow. Bullet Seed, Seed Bomb, Petal Blizzard, Return and Take Down are only few good moves. Gamefraek, you're kidding right?

Stat:
    HP - Average - 344 is fine as long as you have recovery moves (And wall support)
    Attack - Mediocre - But, hey! Isn't Flower Gift his ability? Let me think for this one again.
    Defense - Mediocre - Really? Come one, GF! Why are you so cruel with this cute pokemon?
    Sp. Attack - Below Average - 300 is okay... I guess? I wish Flower Gift boosts his special offense, instead.
    Sp. Defense - Slightly Below Average - Oh, for the first time, Flower Gift becomes useful. Cherrim badly needed a Sp. Def boost since his primary weakness are mostly special-based moves.
    Speed - Below-Average - For a support set, I think he needs more.

Movepool
    It's quite limited for offenses. What's odder, it is mostly concentrated on Special when he gains boost on physical attack. The only useful moves so far are those moves I mentioned above. Same goes for support moves. Leech Seed, Helping Hand, Worry Seed, Lucky Chant, Toxic, Aromatheraphy, Heal Pulse and Healing Wish are his only moves the I find very useful.

Over-all Comment
    I think Cherrim is designed for support, particularly ATK boost. Did I mention earlier that Flower Gift also boosts the ally's physical offense stat? Slaking can run a 690 ATK with Flower Gift alone. Same goes to Blaziken. Other pokemons who benefit a lot are Tangrowth, Leafeon and Victreebell, thanks to their abilities. Cherrim may run a choice specs set but I think it's quite gimmicky. Support? I dunno what to say. It's just Whimsicott is a lot more useful... and faster... and cuter.

If only Cherrin has either an evolution or mega like this one.

Usually, our adorable little is, if memory recalls, PoorlyUsed (PU, whatever that means in smogon) Tier last gen? Sadly, it kinda belongs there in the ranks of Golduck. I mean, if only flower gift boosts both attacking stats like Growth. But alas, its performance is even more abysmal compared to bug types with quiver dance.

Just either support or offense works fine. But its really reliant on the sun at most, which is only asking to get fried quicker by fire attacks..
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Hm, I'll give this a shot. o.o

Thousand Sunny Blossoms
    - Sunny Day
    - Aromatherapy / Heal Pulse
    - Helping Hand
    - Petal Blizzard
    Item Attached: Heat Rock
    Ability: Flower Gift
    EVs and Nature:
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
    Adamant/Jolly Nature

Consider this a physical variant of Sunny Day support, and this set is primarily for double battles. As Cherrim is providing support for the partner, it is also utilizing Flower Gift to its full potential because Cherrim also benefits from the passive Attack and Special Defense boosts. Obviously, Cherrim is highly reliant on sunny weather, hence why it desperately needs Sunny Day. Here, we are given very useful support moves to choose from: Aromatherapy to cure status for your team or Heal Pulse to heal your partner's HP, depending on your preference. Helping Hand is also there to give an offensive boost to your partner. And while its physical movepool is lacking type coverage, Petal Blizzard would be the superb choice, as it has 90 power with STAB and it targets all Pokémon in play.

It is recommended to have a partner that can synergize well with Flower Gift and sunny weather. The list GirlKirbyZombie provided is a fairly good list; but I'd also add Florges on there, as well. A semi-support Florges with Grassy Terrain can power up whatever Grass-type moves Cherrim has in its disposal, while also receiving HP recovery per turn.

I actually raised my Cherrim in-game with this set a couple of weeks back, and tried it out in double battles. Some things are a little gimmicky, but definitely possible to pull off when done correctly.

Also, considering how Cherrim is mostly a support Pokémon, Taunt would be a hard counter to it.
    Last edited by SilverLanayru; 14th April 2014 at 7:42 PM.
    Trinity League: Psychic Gym Leader & Resort Manager (Wi-fi UU) | The Eternian Forces: Harena Region's Merchant
    3DS FC: 1977-0801-2134 | NNID: SilverLanayru | Rawr~ <3

"This is the sorceress of light, who takes to the battlefield her Book of Sorcery."

Pokégyms Badge Progress | Credits

Cherrim @ Heat Rock
    Nature: Adamant / Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk /252 Spe
    ~Sunny Day
    ~Aromatherapy
    ~Seed Bomb
    ~Nature Power

Quote Originally Posted by Nulava View Post
    Cherrim @ Heat Rock
    Nature: Adamant / Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk /252 Spe
    ~Sunny Day
    ~Aromatherapy
    ~Seed Bomb
    ~Nature Power
    Something to point out with Nature Power, in case you were going for it.
    Nature Power no longer turns into Earthquake in link/wi-fi battles for this generation. Instead, it becomes Tri Attack.
    I'd probably put that move under a specially-based set, if need be.
    Trinity League: Psychic Gym Leader & Resort Manager (Wi-fi UU) | The Eternian Forces: Harena Region's Merchant
    3DS FC: 1977-0801-2134 | NNID: SilverLanayru | Rawr~ <3

"This is the sorceress of light, who takes to the battlefield her Book of Sorcery."

Pokégyms Badge Progress | Credits

Quote Originally Posted by SilverLanayru View Post
    Something to point out with Nature Power, in case you were going for it.
    Nature Power no longer turns into Earthquake in link/wi-fi battles for this generation. Instead, it becomes Tri Attack.
    I'd probably put that move under a specially-based set, if need be.
    Perhaps to replace, if the user has access to it, we could put something like Secret Power ? Nowadays, Secret Power changes into Body Slam when used on a wi-fi/link battle. Paralysis can come in handy when needed, I guess.
    Otherwise we could just let Seed Bomb as Cherrim's only physical move and put something like Heal Pulse or Morning Sun instead.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

Item: Leftovers
    Modest w/ 252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP/Sp Defense
    Solarbeam/Energy Ball
    Sunny Day
    Weather Ball/Leech Seed/Worry Seed/Hidden Power [Fire]
    Leech Seed/Worry Seed/Dazzling Gleam

Countering
    High Sp Defense with Fire/Bug/Flying-Type Moves like Blaze Kick Hitmonlee, Volcarona, Delphox, Flare Blitz Flareon, Togekiss, Sap Sipper Goodra, Fire Punch Hitmonchan/Dusknoir, Gallade, Escavaleir, Gunk Shot Muk, Sludge Bomb Venusaur/Roserade, or Dragonite.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.