Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biggest ripoffs you've seen at a store

Default Biggest ripoffs you've seen at a store

This includes ANY kind of store except Gamestop/EB Games, OBVIOUSLY Gamestop rips you off and we don't want this full of NOTHING but Gamestop Haters, I mean I'D love it, but I know you guys wouldn't. The biggest rip off for in a store BESIDES ****ING GAMESTOP was $10 for this bag of chicken at the local Chinese Market. The Chicken tasted AWFUL, it was EXTREMELY greasy, stringy and there were only 5 small pieces...I love Chicken WHY DID GOD DO THIS TO ME *goes to cry in a corner*

everything that is sold at the store i work at is horribly overpriced. i mean $40 for a t-shirt come on now. on an unrelated note the job is also boring and undemanding which is why i can post this rn g_g
    † I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.†

~RIP User Four-Twenty April 20, 2014-April 20, 2014~

every hard drive ever since the floods in thailand in 2011
    last.fm
    facebook

OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

Some that i can think of off the top of my head:
    Gamespot - screw that place, go local or go Ebay.
    College textbooks - During my 3 years of college (graduated early) i paid roughly 700 dollars on average per semester for textbooks (~900 at the most one semester) and when i sold the books back i made at most 230 dollars during the 900 dollar semester and at the least 43 dollars. Stopped buying the books after my 2nd year, because, well, screw it.
    Shell Gas Stations
    Anything you get at a movie theater.

718/718 Pokemon caught as of 4/13/14
    Pokemon X FC: 2638-0594-6140
    Serebii.net Claims:
    -The Drill Pokemon, Nidoking

- Convenience size drinks at a store when you can get a 2 liter for close to half the price.
    - Buffets in general. Most of the time you spend a lot more than what it costs a restaurant for the food.
    - Anything at a sports stadium
    - Anything at an amusement park / fair.
    - Tabs to drive legally. Seriously, it costs around $45 for my vehicle, but my step dad's it costed over $400 just for new tabs.
    FC: 1778-9489-4489 IGN: King Arceus
    Safari: Ferroseed, Klang, Bronzong
    Guides I've written:

VGC 2015 Season: 156 CP

I work at Walmart and customers ***** at me everyday because the price on the shelf for some of the meat says (example) $4.18 per pound, so they're picking up a 3lb package of meat, thinking they're getting it for $4.18, when really they're paying like $12-13 for it.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

Quote Originally Posted by Professor dragonexpert View Post
    - Convenience size drinks at a store when you can get a 2 liter for close to half the price.
    - Buffets in general. Most of the time you spend a lot more than what it costs a restaurant for the food.
    - Anything at a sports stadium
    - Anything at an amusement park / fair.
    - Tabs to drive legally. Seriously, it costs around $45 for my vehicle, but my step dad's it costed over $400 just for new tabs.
    I agree with every one of them.
    IGN: Corbin
    FC: 2680-9260-3852
    Electric Safari (Stunfisk, Dedenne, and Luxio)

Quote Originally Posted by Corbins Mix View Post
    I agree with every one of them.
    Yeah. Food/drinks at sports stadiums are RIDICULOUS.

$5 for a bottle of Coke, really? I can buy a bottle the same size for $1 anywhere else, from a vending machine.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

Good lord the shop 'Myer' here sell everything waay too overpriced. I compared the prices of a plushie form another store and Myer sells it for double the price also the clothes are ridiculously expensive and they have the exact same quailty of clothes you can buy from other shops.

*Edit* now that I think about it even their sales are almost always ridiculous too
    I have claimed

Theater food is so overpriced! I mean the prices are insane! Then every recently released game used at Gamestop! It's only 5-10$ off!

biggest ripoff? mtg booster packs,MSRP is 3.99,and there is one card(with a 5% chance of another) that has a potenial value of 5$<,thing is,only a a small number of that small number that is aculally worth that,and then an even smaller number of anything that other people want.and for theater food being over-priced,the theater itself doesnt make money off the tickets,so they have to make up for it in what they do acually make money off of
    do the shuckle sweep
    white 2 champion/ white champion/second white 2 game champion/3rd white 2 champion/4th planned white 2 champion
    / /
    //

credit to froststorm

Sliced cheese......

its really not that hard to slice cheese people... come on...
    Bug-Type Represent !

Wow, thats a trick question. How about jeans that are $12-$20 dollars and when you buy them (after trying them on), you go to put them on again and they rip!
    "I missed you too, Calcifer."
    PASBL
    ||Guild||Tumblr||League||Pathfinder

In a walmart, I once saw all three of the matrix movies (seperately) for $20 each and a dvd with all three of them on it (together) for $5. Another thing that's sorta a rip off is the Easter/Xmas/Halloween candy before the holidays. The fact you can wait a mere 6 hours after the holiday and get that crap for half price seems like a massive rip off.
    ~Currently own all gen 6 games, Old-school DS: (4597-0364-2569) New-school/Battlin' DS: (4055-5677-3071), current 6th gen UU record: 56W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, non-OU tier supporter, speed-breeder, and steam enthusiast.
        Spoiler:- Current Gen 6 shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Professor dragonexpert View Post
    I think this is mainly due to the buffet places having a lot of customers with insanely huge appetites actually getting their money's worth in food, and/or people who take a lot but waste a lot. Which is why I generally avoid buffets unless they're known to have really good food.

Quote Originally Posted by ebevan91 View Post

$5 for a bottle of Coke, really? I can buy a bottle the same size for $1 anywhere else, from a vending machine.
    Oh, and don't even get me started on the beer. It has the same pricing problem as the soda, with the added problem of it generally tasting worse as well. (I'm not a beer drinker; this is just what I've heard from friends and family.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mye View Post
    Another thing that's sorta a rip off is the Easter/Xmas/Halloween candy before the holidays. The fact you can wait a mere 6 hours after the holiday and get that crap for half price seems like a massive rip off.
    This one is justified, actually: if you wait even as little as 6 hours after the holiday, you missed the candy's intended use. (Who goes trick-or-treating the day after Halloween?) The rest is basic economics; after the holiday, demand for the candy goes way down, and thus the prices go down.

As for my own examples, the biggest ripoffs I've seen were at high-end clothing stores, where a simple-looking shirt can cost as much as two pairs of tennis shoes, and a cotton blazer costs as much as a small TV. Cosmetics stores at malls also tend to be prone to this sometimes: I went to one recently where most of the lipsticks were $20 and up. Seriously? They cost only around $8 at the average drugstore, with not much of a drop in quality.

Also, ordering soda at any full-service restaurant is almost ALWAYS a ripoff, costing at least twice as much as what you can get yourself at any supermarket. The strange part is that it's ALWAYS soda, hardly ever any other beverage (though wine is also a victim sometimes), that runs into this problem. It is for this reason that I hardly ever order soda at a restaurant... unless it's something non-standard like an Italian soda.

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: Uhh, none besides the one below.
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

At the convenience store at my college, a box of cereal was $10.

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

Fuel stations products and the fuel itself.
    By the way, there is no way Gamestop is overpriced.At least where I live.

Life is like unto a long journey with a heavy burden.
    (Tokugawa Ieyasu)

MBTI personality type: ISFP

You have distinct preference of Introversion over Extraversion (67%)
    You have marginal or no preference of Sensing over Intuition (1%)
    You have distinct preference of Feeling over Thinking (62%)
    You have slight preference of Perceiving over Judging (22%)

Any business that sells bottled water is guilty of ripping you off.

Also, Barnes & Noble if you don't buy their items on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Theater food is so overpriced! I mean the prices are insane! Then every recently released game used at Gamestop! It's only 5-10$ off!
    so i guess thats a multi-national problem then, easily spend Ł20 going there without even trying.

Probably my fave one from recent memory is the wolfenstein collectors edition which retails at $100 and doesn't even include a copy of the game xD

I recently came across a review someone wrote about an alterations place. She had called the place for an estimate on getting two skirts altered, and they said it would be $25 for both of them. She went to the store, got the skirts altered, and they charged her $50. She called this a ripoff, accused the owners of lying to her, and gave the place a bad rating. But the thing is, 25 + 25 = 50, so the person on the phone meant "each one will cost $25". The customer should've clarified this with the owners before giving this place a bad review...

Although, to be fair, $25 to alter a skirt sounds a little steep... though I guess it depends on the material and stitching and what kind of alteration needed to be done.

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: Uhh, none besides the one below.
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

I was at a high-end clothing store and saw the exact same shirt I was wearing at the time. What did I pay for it? $5. What was it at the high-end store? $45. What a rip.

Oh! At my old Uni, a 5 oz cup of fruit was $8. Eight freaking dollars for five ounces of fruit. Kiss my ***, EKU. They charged you six dollars for a single nutrigrain bar. A pack of ****ing gum was 2 dollars. That Uni was nutsy on price, even the vending machines. 2 dollars for a CAN of pop? Blow it out your ***.
    Last edited by NimhShambler; 4th May 2014 at 9:40 AM.
    I will be on here very, very rarely. The account is not dead, per se, but I will not be on often. This has become a den of hatred, hostility, and anger. It is not the SPPF it was when I joined, and I really dislike coming here. To those of you who were nice to me and were my friend, thank you. Goodbye.
    3DS FC: 1950 7837 2016
    Name: Nicole
    Electric Friend Safari. Pokemon: Dedenne, Pikachu, Manectric
    Before you try to act superior to someone else on here, remember that no matter how much of an "internet cool-guy" you think you are, this is a Pokemon forum.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketaru View Post
    Any business that sells bottled water is guilty of ripping you off.

Also, Barnes & Noble if you don't buy their items on sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by ebevan91 View Post

All of these. And if anyone here has ever been to Disney World, yikes, the food prices are through the roof.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

The main things I see at stores that are rip-offs or overpriced in a way, they have to be shoes. I just don't understand why I see an old, almost unwearable pair of shoes on top of a shoe box costing $80. Any kind of shoe shouldn't cost that much, unless they're Next-Gen or something.
    Well, that's just....FABULOUS~!

Most 450 dollar laptops sold at walmart and best buy seem overpriced. Paying that much for celeron or three core AMD APUs is just awful. Might as well buy a used i5 at that cost.

Twin: PhQnix Bishie: Kurapica Cartoon Bishie: Freakazoid Pair: Leona

Samba Dinos don't need context.
    Xanga |Last FM

Quote Originally Posted by Gamer Fluttershy View Post
    This includes ANY kind of store except Gamestop/EB Games, OBVIOUSLY Gamestop rips you off and we don't want this full of NOTHING but Gamestop Haters, I mean I'D love it, but I know you guys wouldn't. The biggest rip off for in a store BESIDES ****ING GAMESTOP was $10 for this bag of chicken at the local Chinese Market. The Chicken tasted AWFUL, it was EXTREMELY greasy, stringy and there were only 5 small pieces...I love Chicken WHY DID GOD DO THIS TO ME *goes to cry in a corner*
    So I have to ask "what makes Gamestop a rip off"?

The worst experiences I have with Gamestop are incompetent employees (at times), but I don't know how their prices are really that bad.

For reference, I do most of my shopping at a different store and the prices of more recent games don't deviate that much.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast