Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Biggest ripoffs you've seen at a store

Quote Originally Posted by Mye View Post
    In a walmart, I once saw all three of the matrix movies (seperately) for $20 each and a dvd with all three of them on it (together) for $5. Another thing that's sorta a rip off is the Easter/Xmas/Halloween candy before the holidays. The fact you can wait a mere 6 hours after the holiday and get that crap for half price seems like a massive rip off.
    The 3 (or 4) movies on one is called a "Loss Leader"; a specially priced promotional item that gets people into the store to buy other things at convenience. The additional buys are intended to make up for the one loss leader. Go back into Wal-Mart 3 weeks later, that DVD/Blu-ray will most likely not be there, and then magically re-appear 3 months later. This happens with the Ocean's Trilogy, the Transfomers Trilogy, Spider-Man Trilogy, etc all the time. Separately, these movies will range anywhere from $7-15 individually, but the promo trilogies can dip down to $15, easily.

I always nail those promos near Black Friday, or when they do them at the beginning of the seasons, because otherwise you blow $25 extra on a movie you didn't need to.

A college education. It's not easy to find a school for under 10 grand a year and some cost 60 grand! The average person makes 40-50 grand a year. How does that make sense??

I think I can add my voice to food at the movies. I went to see the latest X-Men film at the cinemas and $5 for a bottle of ice-tea (500 ml) and around the same for a packet of M&Ms, which I can normally buy for around $3.50. And what is worse, you can't take in anything from outside, which meant I couldn't take in the bottle of aloe vera drink (which is good for you) that I brought from a nearby Asian grocery store, which cost me around $1.50 for a bit over a litre.
    Indigohex is a retired fifty-three star surgeon-general who wishes that the Australian version of I Am A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here would get cancelled within less than a second of starting. The views reflected in the posts above and below this post does not necessarily reflect the views of Serebii.net, its owners or shareholders.

Indigohex: Serebii.net Forums' Voice

Why it costs $1.99 for a 16 oz bottle of soda but a 16 oz bottle of water costs almost $4

If food costed less, more people could donate food to people who actually need it. Everyone just takes it for granted, when instead of wasting it, a homeless person could eat for a day more.

Also the movies are insane

Yes I really want to spend 5 dollars on a small thing of popcorn chicken. Thanks now I cant get popcorn for my fiance.

Atleast you can buy the loalty cup for five bucks then use it when you back for only a dollar fifty.

But food that's only gonna last for five minutes to an hour while you're watching a movie shouldnt cost five bucks for a small **** box as big as my hand.

And one pokemon plushie, ten bucks? No, I wasnt aiming to waste my money on something im just going to keep in a room.

Baby stuff is crazy expensive.

30 bucks for formula that's only gonna last a week and a half? Waste of money but they know the parents will buy it because its a baby and those need food if they won't drink breast milk like my baby.

And one video game for 70$ is ridiculous. Id rather wait for everyone to get tired of it then cut the price down to 30/40$ like normal games.

Thank goodness theres craigslist amiright?

And at the mall one pair of shorts that are gonna be ruined in a few years or more shouldn't cost 40 bucks.

Money is just ridiculous.

I got most of my crap (barely used 2ds, very nice mew looking clothes, and etc from places having sales or yard sales or people who wanted to trade for other stuff instead of money).

Also that movie lucy looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Victreebong View Post
    The 3 (or 4) movies on one is called a "Loss Leader"; a specially priced promotional item that gets people into the store to buy other things at convenience. The additional buys are intended to make up for the one loss leader. Go back into Wal-Mart 3 weeks later, that DVD/Blu-ray will most likely not be there, and then magically re-appear 3 months later. This happens with the Ocean's Trilogy, the Transfomers Trilogy, Spider-Man Trilogy, etc all the time. Separately, these movies will range anywhere from $7-15 individually, but the promo trilogies can dip down to $15, easily.
    Huh, so that's why I was able to buy a DVD containing the last two Harry Potter movies for 7 dollars...

Anyway, I was in a furniture store yesterday. Even though the place was about to close its doors forever and had a huge sale going on, I saw this one plain-looking wooden coffee table for just under $600. A coffee table. When the same store had a few sofas cheaper than that. Talk about ridiculous...

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: Gauntlet of the Greek God Guardians (Zuri), Castle of the Vampire King (Bianca and Lilith)
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

Textbooks. Every bookstore ever. /this counts, right?

But, yeah, I do not like how much money needs to go to textbooks, but there's nothing I can do about it for the most part.

I've been to this store with my aunt and they had like a liter of water from Switzerland which costed 5 bucks.

Getting something at the airport..... tried to get a bottle of coke and in the vending machine it was Ł2.50 and in the shop it was Ł3.50..... and that was a small bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Victreebong View Post

I always nail those promos near Black Friday, or when they do them at the beginning of the seasons, because otherwise you blow $25 extra on a movie you didn't need to.
    there's also the case when items are on clearance for whatever reason. the store where i work has stuff like that happen all the time. perfect example since we are in the middle of back to school season now, we have a lot of special promotional items that we bring in only for back to school, since we have a lot of parents/kids/teachers making huge shopping trips during that time when they are not normally our largest customers. a little while after back to school ends, most of those special items that we did not sell go on clearance so we can make room for other promotional items. so, you might see a large, high-quality binder for $5 when smaller versions of that binder run for around $9 normal. that does not mean the normal small binder is a ripoff at $9 or there is something wrong with the $5 binder, all it means is that particular item is one that we don't normally carry and want to get rid of to make room for other things. i have to explain things like this to customers allllllll the time because they either think we are ripping them off with the normally-priced items or that obviously the clearance ones are busted and thats why theyre cheap.

anyways for the topic at hand, idk. i dont think a lot of things (including many things posted in this topic) are "ripoffs" necessarily because a lot of times you will pay extra for convenience or experience of an item. yes, the dirty shirley i order at a bar costs $5 when it would cost me less than 50c of materials at home, but i get to have it in a bar (which is more fun than my house) and i don't have to put in the effort of making the drink right, cleaning up dishes, etc. the only things i think are really ripoffs are when the person/company selling them is deliberately deceptive to get you to agree to buy something and charge you more later. see: a lot of banks, telephone/internet companies, etc. one of the best ones in california is that you get charged tax based on the item cost before any rebates or anything, so when i got my last phone, it cost $99 and they gave me $95 for the old phone i was bringing back, so my new phone shouldve cost $4 right? nope, it cost about $60 because it is taxed on the value of the phone. still not a bad deal for a new iphone but the deception is not cool.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Ive been to this make-up store called INGLOT.
    1 small bottle of nailpolish costs 14 euros (which is around 17 dollars i guess)
    everything that has a famous brand on it is expensive.

(Btw, has anyone ever been to Spain (Barcelona)? everything is expensive! The drinks you buy, the hotels you stay in, events/festivals you attend, even clothes. If that country would be a store, I'd hate it.)
    claimed budew
    claimed Arcade Star Dahlia
    currently training my perfect EV&IV&HA Tyrantrum

Quote Originally Posted by John Madden View Post
    every hard drive ever since the floods in thailand in 2011
    i thought i was clever posting this three months ago

but no

there is a new champion in the "biggest ripoff" field

and that is this DVD drive at this store

$384.99 vs. a price at 4 retailers of $19.99

for a total markup of 1,826%
    last.fm
    facebook

OFFICIAL ATTACK HUCKSTER OF SPP
    If you see this sig in the debate forum, you're definitely doing something wrong.

I hate the whole buying 1 single bottle vs. a whole pack thing.

At the Walmart I work at, a single bottle of water costs $1 or more while you can buy a 32-pack of water for $2.58.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

I saw this brand of chips called Food Should Taste Good and it's always 2 or 1$ at the store, but then when my family goes to costo, 1 bag OF THE SAME SIZE is like 5.99....

Rip-off, but great chips ^_^

Friend Code: 5472-6256-4416
    My New Trade Shop is Finally up and running!
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...-Breeding-Shop

Who wants to buy one game or toy for 40 dollars.

Its like thanks I have to waste even more money than I brought to the store.

Firestone definitely. Overcharges for the part, overcharges for labor.

I might as well order the part from somewhere else and put it on my car myself, especially if it's aftermarket like most of mine are.
    I'm just lazy about it.
    Within my lifetime, I've done a lot of walking. I started my journey walking on a little path called Route 1. Little did I know that walking down that route would lead me onwards to a road that went by the name of Victory. Just west of Victory Road, I walked up an entire mountain where atop stood a silent trainer who was one of the mightiest I had ever faced. I've walked, through sandstorms, across the hard desert of Hoenn. I've walked through pelting hail, across the snow covered terrains of Sinnoh. And now as I look back on all my travels I find myself walking across the Skyarrow Bridge of Unova. It took a lot of walking through tall grass patches to get where I am today...But it was worth the walk.

Why is it that cafes in places of interest always mark up the price of normal food, today I bought a small bottle of water, which was double the price you can get from any other supermarket
    I have claimed

Anything in a theatre.
    Anything in a college book store.
    Anything in an airport terminal.

Things in the Target store. They were running a deal on In Store Pickup so we know all of the online prices, but when we went shopping in the actual store, we were surprised by how much more everything cost in the store as opposed to online. I guess that's the deal with most places now though.
    Pokémon Y Team:
    Pokémon AS Team:
    My Friend Code is 5343-9772-6309.

The theater. The food is always more than it should cost.

A pen at Staples for $90. It was stainless steel or chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by The Federation View Post
    Anything in a theatre.
    Anything in a college book store.
    Anything in an airport terminal.
    Completely Agree its ridcuus

Spoiler:- Credit/Symbol/Badge:

Sports stadium food is always way overpriced. It's especially evident now that in the ones I go to, they let you bring in your own food.

Credit to cloneydew2000 for the sprites.

There's this one store on a certain street (withholding both names) that for some reason, prices their Reynolds Wrap ridiculously high. No, store; I'm not paying $17.99 for freakin' aluminum foil. This was a small box, mind you. They don't sell bigger boxes, and I'm kind of glad that they DON'T.
    Under Construction

I once had the mind to buy some cheap corner store earbuds for my phone. The sound quality was awful, and they broke in a matter of minutes! That was a bad way to waste $10...Never again...

And don't get me started on downtown concession vendors...
    Darkness is just a friend you can't see!
    3DS FC: 4227 - 0729 - 3560

My ASB Profile

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast