Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community POTW #026

Quote Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
    The only true set for Conk this gen is the AV set.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest
    Adamant Nature
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 52 HP 252 Atk 200 SpDef
    -Drain Punch
    -Mach Punch
    -Knock Off
    -Ice Punch

First off let me set something straight: times have changed. Copy and pasting Smogon sets from last gen just won't cut it for Conk, neither will simply posting a random set that has leftovers attached. Conk is good this gen for one reason and one reason only: Assault Vest. If you disagree with me then VM me about it.

With that out of the way, this is the standard AV Conk set. The EVs increase special defense while still maintaining physical bulk with the HP investment. If you don't like that, than max out special defense as the assault vest will increase it, which means that HP investment won't help on the special side very much. The nature that is run should always be adamant, unless this is for a Trick Room team, which you would run Brave and 0 speed IVs. The ability that should always be run is Guts, as it allows Conk to act as a status absorber for the team. The moves are also standard. Drain Punch is his strongest move, and it provides recovery, granted he hits something super effectively or neutrally. Mach Punch provides priority, allowing him to hit faster threats first to finish them off if they're weakened. Next, we have Knock Off, the only dark type move that should ever be used. With the buff that Knock Off received this gen, Conk is able to cripple switch ins such as Azumarill, who can normally take his attacks, making her lose her Sitrus Berry or Choice Band. Finally, we have Ice Punch, which is his best coverage option for the last slot. This hits dragons, as well as ground types, such as Lando and Gliscor for super effective damage.
    200 EVs in SPD block what notable KOs/2KOs?

A choice Scarf set is viable though, everyone expects him not to outspeed but with max 310 speed you can outspeed things like Excadrill (why anyone would leave Excadrill in on Conkeldurr is beyond me but it can outspeed Rotom too)

Also, in lower tiers, Eviolite Gurdurr is quite the opponent for the same reasons as normal Conkeldurr and you probably shouldn't use him to spread status and the poor thing has 6 special moves: Round, Hyper beam, Hidden power, Grass knot, Focus blast, and Snore. So please, please don't use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrolled View Post
    200 EVs in SPD block what notable KOs/2KOs?
    Too many to mention. SpDef>HP for AV

Some are not. LOL.

Too many to mention. SpDef>HP for AV
    Well, yes and no.

It is true that Special Defense EVs will give you more special bulk per EV than HP EVs will. This is a fact.

252+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 160-190 (38.6 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252+ SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 52 HP / 200 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 124-147 (34 - 40.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

However, in doing so, you trade off a roughly equivalent amount of physical bulk in exchange.

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 169-199 (40.8 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 52 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 169-199 (46.4 - 54.6%) -- 62.9% chance to 2HKO

One might say "If you're using Assault Vest, the entire point is to tank special attacks", and to an extent, that's true. But part of what makes Conkeldurr so good is, unlike other specially bulky Pokemon like Goodra, Blissey, Florges, etc., it actually does take physical hits reasonably well, to the point where it can check certain physical attackers as well, and isn't forced out as easily as something like Blissey or Goodra.

As such, I'd say HP = SpDef in terms of EVs. They both have their merits, with Special Defense EVs giving you more special bulk, while HP EVs give you a little more physical bulk as well. It depends on if you want it to tank better from the special side of the spectrum, or be able to function a little better as a mixed pivot/wall.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Iron Fist / Guts
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    ~Drain Punch
    ~Bulk Up
    ~Stone Edge / Poison Jab
    ~Payback

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    ~Drain Punch
    ~Mach Punch
    ~Ice Punch
    ~Knock Off

Allies come in unusual places:
    -Cherrim, as previously stated, beefs up Conk's lower Sp.Def and already-high Attack.
    -Aqua Ring-Passers like Vaporeon crank up the bulk factor.
    -Bug or Dark Types and Poison or Steel Types help out against Psychic Types and Fairy Types, respectively. Drapion, Scizor, Scolipede, and Bisharp are a major issue for both.
    -Snorlax makes for a decent Special Sponge on a prediction.
    -Jolteon, Accelgor, and Aerodactyl make opponents think twice about Speed matchups.
    -Goodra has Special Bulk to spare, but must be wary of Fairy.
    -Natural Cure Pokémon like Blissey, Trevenant, and Altaria can put a dent in the plans of Status chuckers.
    -Volcarona has Type-advantage over Psychic, Immunity to Burns, and good Special Stats and Speed.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Conkeldurr is an insanely tough opponent to take down. High bulk, an item the covers the brute's weak point, and reliable recovery make a pokemon difficult to take down, but complement that with status buffing and an ATK that is only surpassed by Mega Evolutions, Legendaries and Rampardos makes the chore even more daunting. Ghosts do deprive Conkeldurr of its recovery due to their typing, so combining that with status can wear Conkeldurr down. Of course, most Conkeldurrs carry Payback or Knock Off, so Ghosts are not that reliable. Despite resisting Stealth Rock, Conkeldurr is exposed to entry hazards, and can be worn down that way. Overwhelming offense may OHKO the brute but that's easier said than done. Psychic/Psyshock from Mega Gardevoir and Aerialate Return from Mega Pinser might be able to do the job, but they cannot come in safely w/o prediction. Conkeldurr w/o Guts hate getting Burned, but don't be reckless about it, or you could be unleashing the beast.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

talonflame will destroy this thing (choice band brave bird go)

Not overly sure on that. If Conkeldurr can withstand one BB, then Talon is toast, and Talonflame gets destroyed on the switch in by Stone Edge. Especially after a Bulk Up or two, Brave Bird is a 2-3HKO at the best. That can lead to major issues. Special moves are the way to deal with Conk. It has next to no SpDef, and terrible Spd to boot. Not a good combo when it's weak to Psychic and Fairy, who almost always outspeed and OHKO with a STAB move. Hell, I think Carbink outspeeds it.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    Friend Safari- Phantump, Drifblim, Shuppet.
    FC: 2793-1931-7921
    Time zone- London-GMT
    Showdown alt: Delta-Omega
    Started my journey into PASBL, let's see how I fare...
    Team info here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironthunder1604 View Post
    Not overly sure on that. If Conkeldurr can withstand one BB, then Talon is toast, and Talonflame gets destroyed on the switch in by Stone Edge. Especially after a Bulk Up or two, Brave Bird is a 2-3HKO at the best. That can lead to major issues. Special moves are the way to deal with Conk. It has next to no SpDef, and terrible Spd to boot. Not a good combo when it's weak to Psychic and Fairy, who almost always outspeed and OHKO with a STAB move. Hell, I think Carbink outspeeds it.
    Er, a lot of your statements are contradicted by usage statistics.

The majority of Conkeldurr carry Assault Vest these days; some still carry Leftovers, or even a status orb, but by and large Assault Vest is its most popular set. So it definitely does not always have "next to no special defense", since most Conkeldurr these days are very difficult to 1HKO with a special attack. Psychics are also unreliable checks, given most are obliterated on the switch by Knock Off, one of the most commonly used coverage attacks. Bulky Fairies make decent switch ins, given they resist its STAB and Knock Off, but they don't appreciate losing their item to Knock Off, either.

Things like Stone Edge and Bulk Up, while still seeing some usage, are relatively uncommon. This is what makes Talonflame a decent check/revenge killer for Conkeldurr. CB Talonflame's Brave Bird is a clean 1HKO on Conkeldurr, while no-item/leftovers Brave Bird still 2HKOs. It's not an outright counter though, but it's a check for sure.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

What about

Payback/earth quake
    Hammer arm
    Rock slide
    Poison jab

With a life orb
    And attack and hp investment
    With no investment in speed
    The sheer force ability I guess
    Adamant nature

This is basically to punch holes in the opponents team. It's not meant to last. Good on a trick room team
    Last edited by Natural; 26th April 2014 at 3:40 AM.

Guts w/ Flame Orb
    Adamant/Brave w/ 252 Attack, 252 HP, 3 Defense
    Drain Punch
    Stone Edge
    Payback
    Poison Jab

Countering
    High Defense and Sp Attack with Flying/Psychic/Fairy-type moves like Togekiss, Slowbro, Gothitelle, or Psychic Gorebyss/Spiritomb/Cofagrigus.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 27th April 2014 at 7:08 AM. Reason: Recent replies
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    Guts w/ Flame Orb/Focus Sash
    Adamant/Brave w/ 252 Attack, 130 HP, 128 Defense
    Hammer Arm/Brick Break
    Stone Edge
    Payback
    Poison Jab

Countering
    High Defense and Sp Attack with Flying/Psychic/Fairy-type moves like Togekiss, Slowbro, Gothitelle, or Psychic Gorebyss/Spiritomb/Cofagrigus.
    I would recommend going drain punch on this one, sense it will be taking damage each turn. That's just me though, do whatever

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    Guts w/ Flame Orb/Focus Sash
    Adamant/Brave w/ 252 Attack, 130 HP, 128 Defense
    Hammer Arm/Brick Break
    Stone Edge
    Payback
    Poison Jab

Countering
    Why would you ever use a Sash on Conk? It literally brings nothing to the table for him. Hes bulky as is, and benefits from an AV much more. Heck, even a Flame Orb is a better option.

Also, running defense EVs is pointless. You might as well put them in HP. The difference is negligible regarding physical bulk.

Why would you ever use a Sash on Conk? It literally brings nothing to the table for him. Hes bulky as is, and benefits from an AV much more. Heck, even a Flame Orb is a better option.

Also, running defense EVs is pointless. You might as well put them in HP. The difference is negligible regarding physical bulk.
    judging from the move choice, I'd say he's trying to one up my set by adding survivability to the equation. Which is all fine and well. Though it needs to be able to better grapple with other pokemon, which is why I think he picked defense. I agree that HP really is the better choice. Possibly with assault vest, then he may be able to get a super effective hit on his checks
    Last edited by Natural; 26th April 2014 at 5:26 PM.

could you name one of the move sets cling klang Conk
    defiantly run assault vest as well as going for hp.

you may want to take advantage of its iron fist

Ability: Iron fist
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Attak/ 252 Speed
    ~Hammer arm
    ~Fire Punch
    ~Ice Punch
    ~Power-Up Punch

use power up punch to raise attack and use the others to hit hard

Quote Originally Posted by meganinja123456 View Post
    could you name one of the move sets cling klang Conk
    defiantly run assault vest as well as going for hp.

you may want to take advantage of its iron fist

Ability: Iron fist
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Attak/ 252 Speed
    ~Hammer arm
    ~Fire Punch
    ~Ice Punch
    ~Power-Up Punch
    There's no point in running max speed EVs, and there's even less of a point to it when you're using Hammer Arm, which lowers speed. Drain Punch is always the STAB of choice on Assault Vest sets, since it affords HP recovery to allow it to further tank special attacks.

Conkeldurr
    Item: Flame Orb
    EVs: 252 Atk, 251 HP, 5 Def
    Adamant Nature
    -Drain Punch
    -Iron fist
    knock off
    -Earthquake

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    There's no point in running max speed EVs, and there's even less of a point to it when you're using Hammer Arm, which lowers speed. Drain Punch is always the STAB of choice on Assault Vest sets, since it affords HP recovery to allow it to further tank special attacks.
    I agree with you

Angry

I edited my move set and IVs; even though the base stats of Defense and HP are similar. As for Focus Sash, I thought the Sp Defense is too low for Conkeldurr to survive one Special Attack like Psychic; even with an Assault Vest.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12