Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #027

Default Community POTW #027

Time for the next Pokémon of the Week, and the RNG spat out a Kalos Pokémon this week!

It's Malamar, the awesome Dark/Psychic Pokémon. While seemingly mediocre, Malamar is rather an awesome Pokémon with some great moves to match its ability

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/687.shtml

Go nuts

Item: Choice Scarf
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Ability: Contrary
    Moveset:
    - Switcheroo
    - SuperPower
    - Night Slash
    - Rock Slide
    I like a good fight, and I NEVER turn off the power when I'm about to lose a battle. Because of others doing this, and me not turning off, my record does not look how it should. It's shame that the pokemon world allows these cowards to escape a loss.

If more people don't do this, then pokemon battling will become more fair and fun.

If anyone wants to battle, I'm up for it. My Immence Salamences need their training.

Malamar in VGC:

Pros:
    Superpower let's it get a free bulk up, and also hits ttar and stuff hard
    Aegislash doesn't want to king's shield VS this guy... A +2 Night slash isn't funny
    Intimidate boosts this guy
    Has Trick room and can be used as targets of fake tears and charm from allies, to boost it's stats.

Cons:
    Swagger (Yes, in VGC, we still have it) nerfs this guy more than it does other pokemon. -2 attack and confusion is bad
    Bugs (u-turners) and fairies cause malamar chaos.
    1 immunity, and no resistances... Not good at all
    Limited to physical moves, since it shines a lot with super power

Malamar is good, if used correctly.

Combos that work well:

Malamar+ST Gothitelle: Tr get's set up, and then malamar can boost, whist the enemy is locked in. Also, Gothitelle can aim a charm at malamar, for added destruction.
    Malamar+liepard: prankster fake tears isn't funny. Especially when used on malamar. Also get's access to charm.

Pluck
    Hidden Power (steel)
    Superpower
    Night Slash
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Effort Points: 252 Atk, 252 SpD, 4 HP
    Nature: Adamant
    Superpower powers up instead of down.

Double/Triple Battles:
    Topsy-Turvy can be used to reverse the effect of moves like Leaf Storm.
    Stat lowering moves can be used on Malamar to raise instead (Contrary).

Countering Malamar:
    Use Megahorn.
    FC: 0920-1268-9628. In-game name is Max.

I claim the unbeatable Turtwig.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360
    This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede
    Rate my teams! Thanks so much if you do!
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...U-Doubles-Team
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...gendaries-Team

Typing:
    Dark/Psychic has amazing coverage as well as resistances. An immunity to psychic with just 2 weaknesses, one being the semi-common bug (x4) and the other being the ever-present Fairy-type (x2), you're gonna have to be hitting hard on everything and running from those 2 types.

Abilities:
    Contrary: Moves used on the Pokémon that raise stats lower the stats, while the moves that lower the stats raise the stat. USE THIS. It is Malamar's go-to ability and one of it's only viable abilities.
    Suction Cups: Negates moves that force switching out. Useless garbage. Don't even consider it.
    Infiltrator: The protections and stat boosts caused by the moves Substitute, Reflect, Light Screen and Safeguard by the opponent are ignored. This is a possibility, but a very risky one. I don't reccommend it.

Stats:
    Stat-wise, Malamar is not that great. 86/88/75 HP and Defenses are semi-high but a bit low-par. 73 speed is below-average and 68 Sp. Attack is not even worth mentioning. However, it shines with a base 92 attack stat, giving it's vast physical movepool a chance to shine in battle.

My Strategy:

Order up! Fresh Malamari!

Malamar w/ Leftovers/Choice Band
    Contrary
    Adamant Nature (+Attack, -Sp. Attack)
    - Superpower
    - Night Slash/Foul Play
    - Psycho Cut
    - Rock Slide

Malamar might be taking some hits so Leftovers is a viable option. Choice Band if you wanna hit harder. Obviously, you want Contrary as the ability. Superpower is to take advantage of Contrary and boost your awesome attack and OK defense. Night Slash is OK for power, but Foul Play works for things like Mega Scizor and Mega Medicham, but both are for STAB. Psycho Cut for STAB and good power. Rock Slide is good for coverage against Bug-types in case you can't run.

Overall, Malamar is a Pokemon that will probably be receiving love for many generations to come. It's one of the most common Pokemon used at the time and it's just overall wonderful.

My Rating on Malamar: 8.5/10
    Last edited by ScorchingShock; 27th April 2014 at 3:06 PM.

In Kalos, The Seafood Will Have YOU!
    Malamar@Leftovers/Assault Vest
    Careful nature
    Contrary
    252 Atk/252 HP/4 Sp. Def
    ~Superpower
    ~Night Slash
    ~Psycho Cut
    ~Topsy-Turvy/Rock Slide

I like Malamar. I like it alot. Superpower works with Contrary to essentially be a 120 base power Bulk Up. Night Slash and Psycho Cut are for STAB, and Topsy-Turvy, well... how can you pass up an opportunity to utterly screw over opposing set-up sweepers with a single move, y'know? Rock Slide is an option over it, but pretty much only if you want to go with an Assault Vest.

Item either helps Malamar restore HP or gives its Special Defense a boost. Ability is necessary for Superpower abuse.

Other options:
    *Malamar could potentially run a Focus Sash and focus exclusively on Topsy-Turvy as an emergency measure to help take down a sweeper that's set up too much and is threatening to wreck your whole team. It's situational, but not a bad option to have waiting by any means. Still, Ditto does just fine at revenge-killing set-up sweepers.

Abilities:
    *Contrary: Anything that would lower Malamar's stats raises them instead, and vice versa. Easily its best Ability, since it's easily abusable with Superpower.
    *Suction Cups: Malamar cannot be forced into switching by way of Roar, Whirlwind, Circle Throw, and Dragon Tail. Not a bad Ability to have, but Contrary is just better. Save this Ability for when you're fishing.
    *Infiltrator: Malamar's Hidden Ability. Malamar's attacks ignore the effects of Reflect, Light Screen, Safeguard, and Substitute. Actually a pretty good Ability, especially since it's been buffed to ignore Substitutes as well, but still... as with Suction Cups, Contrary is just better.

Partners:
    Malamar actually works quite well on its own, though you may want something to go with it capable of dealing with Bug-types or anything packing a Bug move.

Counters:
    Watch out for anything trying to screw with Malamar's Ability, particularly if you're about to use Superpower. Malamar loses Contrary, Malamar loses its niche. Oh, and Bug moves. Malamar loathes Bug moves. Scolipede outspeeds and OHKOs with Megahorn, off the top of my head. And Malamar really, really won't like taking U-turns from anything, STAB or otherwise. Oh, and don't make the mistake of trying to handle it with Aegislash. King's Shield is just a free Swords Dance for it.

Opinion:
    Malamar is really an awesome Pokémon. Anything that can abuse Contrary is all right in my book, not to mention the overall theme of contrariness- I mean, look at Malamar, just look at it. At first glance, would you not think it's a special attacking Water-type you find in the sea? I know I would. And yet, it is a physical attacking Psychic/Dark-type you find on land. Contrary to any reasonable expectation. Being contrary is clearly Malamar's entire thing, and I love it.

Prediction for next week:
    Slurpuff.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Omg, yes! I've been waiting for Malamar to be the POYW! Malamar is an awesome pokemon with a lot of potential. It's easily my favourite Kalos pokemon and it's design it's just awesome.

The one and only set you should run:
    Malamar @Leftovers
    Adamant
    252/252 Atk + Spd 4 HP
    Contrary
    -Superpower
    -Night Slash
    -Psycho Cut
    -Topsy Turvy

Superpower abuse with contrary is so fun and awesome and it's what makes Malamar great. Psycho cut and night slash are your stab moves and provide some nice coverage. Especially against Aegislash. Kings shield only benefits Malamar even more. Topsy Turvy is a fun move to have if your opponent resists all your attacks or tries to set up on you. The speed ev's help Malamar to outspeed some pokemon and use topsy turvy on anyone trying to set up and thus completely screwing them over. You can then proceed into killing them with superpower whilst gaining a free stat boost. Yh Malamar hates bugs and it has to be on the look out for U-turn but with right team support then Malamar can easily cause major damage and is a force to be reckoned with in the lower tiers especially.
    Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the amazing banner.

Pokegyms Ice leader. Masters league Steel leader.

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Never really used Malamar (I was disappointed when I found out that Inkay and it were not Water types), but the evolution method is interesting to say the least.

Malamar is a pokemon completely redeemed by its ability. It has no Base Stats over 100 and a unique, but horrid typing that provides a quad weakness to Bug in exchange for an immunity to Psychic. Yes, Malamar overturns expectations with only one of its abilities: Contrary. Yes that Contrary. The same Contrary that Turned Leaf Storm on Serperior into one of the most disgusting buffing moves in the game. Malamar does the same, but with Superpower instead.

Overturning Stats and Expectations
    Malamar (Contrary)
    Item: Life Orb
    -Superpower
    -Night Slash/Payback
    -Psycho Cut
    -Rock Slide
    Nature: Adamant (+ATK, -SATK)
    EVs: 252 HP/252 ATK/4 SDEF OR 252 ATK/252 SPD/4 SDEF

The premise is simple, boost and kill with Superpower, then sweep the team. Night Slash and Psycho Cut are for STAB and Rock Slide is for coverage and the fact that I ran out of physical moves. Payback is an alternative to Night Slash, but Malamar is in the dead zone for speed, both constantly outspeeding and outslowing various pokemon.

Other Options

-Swagger/Flattery+Psych Up
    Buff and status the opponent to buff yourself (I don’t think this works with Contrary) Gimmick.

-Swagger+Foul Play
    Buff your opponent and kill them with their new attack stat. Gimmick.

-Swagger/Flattery+Topsy Turvy
    Confuse and Debuff your opponent. Gimmick. Seeing a pattern here?

-Dual Screens
    Cause it is there. And fairly good for you team members.

-Hypnosis
    One less thing to worry about –Malamar or its target.

-Destiny Bond
    One of the more reliable ways to kill something.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post

Counters:
    Watch out for anything trying to screw with Malamar's Ability, particularly if you're about to use Superpower. Malamar loses Contrary, Malamar loses its niche. Oh, and Bug moves. Malamar loathes Bug moves. Scolipede outspeeds and OHKOs with Megahorn, off the top of my head. And Malamar really, really won't like taking U-turns from anything, STAB or otherwise. Oh, and don't make the mistake of trying to handle it with Aegislash. King's Shield is just a free Swords Dance for it.
    I am afraid your wrong. King's Shield lowers the attack of the opponent that makes contact with the user that uses it. in other words it will be Malmar that will be getting the free Sword Dance. Not Aegislash which means its counter will always be malmar especially since Steel types lost its ghost and dark type resistances.

A note on Contrary

Contrary is a powerful tool but is completely dependent on your opponents team and make up, as that is where you will be getting most of your debuffs outside of Superpower. If you switch into a Memento, that is like the ultimate slap in the face for your opponent: they just killed their pokemon to buff yours. Intimidate has been noted before and is one of the most common ways for Malamar to accrue ATK buffs. As noted before, King Shield is a free swords Dance for Malamar. Sticky Web is a guaranteed speed buff on switching in and can actually justify investing in SPD. Shame its associated with the obscenely fast Bug-typed Galvantula.

P.S. Does anyone have an idea on how Topsy Turvy and Contrary interact with Power Swap?
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

Quote Originally Posted by jr0904 View Post
    I am afraid your wrong. King's Shield lowers the attack of the opponent that makes contact with the user that uses it. in other words it will be Malmar that will be getting the free Sword Dance. Not Aegislash which means its counter will always be malmar especially since Steel types lost its ghost and dark type resistances.
    ...That's what I was saying, that King's Shield is just a free Swords Dance for Malamar.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Malamar. One of the coolest looking things we got in Gen VI...and it does not disappoint.

Stats:
    -HP - Good - Base 86 is above the Base 70 Average mark for HP.
    -Attack - Good - Base 92 is pretty awesome for something with Contrary + Superpower.
    -Defense - Good - Base 88 is not too shabby for the same reason as Malamar's Attack.
    -Sp.Atk - Below Average - Base 68 isn't worth using.
    -Sp.Def - Below Average - Base 75 is easy to fix.
    -Speed - Dead Zone - Base 73 falls short of my Base 50 maximum for Trick Room and Base 80 minimum for non-Trick Room usage.

Abilities:
    -Contrary - Buffs become Debuffs and vice-versa on the user. Superpower is an Arceus-send with this, but it makes Malamar rather predictable...
    -Suction Cups - You cannot be forced out by Roar, Whirlwind, Circle Throw, or Dragon Tail. Meh.
    -Infiltrator (Hidden, Available [Friend Safari]) - Ignores Reflect, Light Screen, Safeguard, and Substitute. As much as I hate Substitutes, Contrary Superpower is too good to not use.

Overall, Malamar is both creepy and cool in appearance and in Battle. Contrary Superpower, STAB Psycho Cut and Night Slash, Topsy-Turvy, Camouflage, and a few other options give Malamar an edge few Psychic Types dare to dream of.

Did I say Camouflage? Yes, I did. Changing your Dark/Psychic Dual-Type to Normal Mono-Type makes Bug-Type Move users less of a threat (if you can pull it off) and gives a boost to Return, Slash, and Façade.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

I like to go for something a bit different myself.

Malamar
    Careful Nature
    Item: Assault Vest
    EVs: 252 HP, 4 Defense, 252 Special Defense
    Moveset:
    - Night Slash
    - Psycho Cut
    - Superpower
    - Rock Slide

This Malamar offers a surprising amount of Special bulk that is somewhat atypical of its species. It's better when used for revenge killing - and best used when revenge killing slower Pokemon. Using Superpower to net the KO buffs his Defense to better levels while boosting his Attack to make his next attack hit even harder. If you suspect that your opponent knows what you'll do and and will switch to a Ghost-type, shred his suspected switch-in with Night Slash. (If you suspect that he'll switch to a non-Ghost, it'll still be best to use Superpower anyway - those boosts will help him survive while still dealing excellent damage.) Psycho Cut and Rock Slide are filler, because some of his other good moves are disabled by Assault Vest. Don't be turned off from them, though: Psycho Cut still offers delicious STAB coverage that hits a good deal of stuff harder than the other two while Rock Slide is nice for burying those pesky Bug- and Flying- types.

Unfortunately, this Malamar has no reliable form of recovery from the get-go. His main goal is to catch a weakened opponent by surprise, start boosting on it with Superpower, then wreak as much havoc as he can before going down. The last part of that is easier said than done, but his greatly enhanced defenses can enable him to take some serious punishment before going down.

Weaknesses:
    Bug and Fairy types. Deal with them as you see fit.

Bulky Malamar

Nature: Adamant
    EV: 252 HP, 252 ATK, 4 SDEF
    Item: Leftovers

Substitute
    Psycho Cut
    Night Slash
    Superpower

basic idea - switch in on something you force out set up sub then spam superpower for Atk/Def boosts while your opponent tries to break your sub
    Friend Safari

Friend Code - 3411-1341-5371

Supportive Calamari

- Substitute
    - Toxic
    - Flatter/Swagger/Light Screen/Reflect
    - Taunt/Foul Play/Light Screen/Reflect
    Item Attached: Leftovers
    Ability: Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Special Defense / 4 Defense
    Careful (+ Special Defense, - Special Attack) nature.

This Malamar takes hits relatively well, believe me. I tried one with the same EV spread and nature and it is surprising; personal favorite of mine. Depending on what do you wanna go for, Malamar is here to annoy. Toxic is really important as Malamar, without Contrary or any sort of Attack boost, can't do much to an opponent, so the residual damage is here to make up for that. Leftovers is Malamar's only form of recovery, aside of Rest, so it is really recommended to take it.
    The rest depends in what type of match the player decides to use its Malamar. Light Screen and Reflect can come in handily in Double Battles and will make Malamar tank hits even better than before. I honestly really like to use Flatter as a large amount of popular competitive Pokémon are physically oriented (Conkeldurr, Garchomp, Lucario, Kangaskhan and Scizor are few examples), but I think the Swagger/Foul Play combination can still be used, especially when the opponent is expecting a Contrary offensive Malamar, often forcing the switch. Taunt can also be used depending on the type of battles the player takes Malamar in.
    Last edited by The Prince of May; 27th April 2014 at 10:57 PM.
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

Default Disappointment

When I saw this guy, I thought "Yep. This is the Pokemon that will counter Blaziken." The issue is that it has horrid stats and it may not survive an attack from the Kung Fu Chcken (KFC!). I feel sad that this Pokemon and its special move, Topsy-Turvy, is such a great concept that suffered from a bad execution.

In case Cutsap berry becomes legal:
    Nature: Sassy
    EVs: Max HP, Most in Sp.Def, and some in Att
    Item: Cupsap berry/Leftovers

Moves:
    Super Power
    Payback
    Destiny Bond
    Hypnosis/Protect

Malamar can act as an Umbreon that gets its Attack and Defense boosts while smashing the opponent in the face with Super Power. The slow speed will make Payback more powerful, but it's probably better to let Umbreon the expert take care of that. Destiny bond + Cutsap berry will definitely foil your foe as long as you know that they berry activates when the total amount of HP reaches 1/3. In case the berry may never see the light of day, replace Hypnosis with Protect.

Fishing Buddy:
    Nature: Sassy
    EVs: Max HP, most in Sp. Def, and some in Def
    Ability: Suction Cups
    Item: None

Moves:
    Thief
    Hypnosis
    Flash
    Sunny Day

A set that you would never see in a competitive thread, but I though I would give this a mention because this guy is a great fishing buddy. The ability helps land a Pokemon while fishing, Hypnosis will put the Pokemon to sleep for easy capture, Thief will allow you to take items like Heart Scales and weaken the wild Pokemon slow but sturdy, Flash can be used to help Malamar last a bit longer in case of finding a shiny, and Sunny Day reduces the damage done by water attacks for a few turns.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Okay, sorry that I don't know where to post this, so I'll post this here. Whoever writes up the POTW has to step up his game. Since 6th gen came out, these articles just get more and more bland, like he doesn't know what he's talking about. One thing I liked about the old POTW was the straight up telling if a Pokemon sucked or was really good. Now, it's something along the lines of "oh, he's an interesting Pokemon" and then says, "he is horrible in competive play" AND THEN at the end they say something like, "He's actually really good, and can thrive in OU or something". And today's post on Conkeldurr was extremely disappointing. Why would you not put AV conkeldurr as one of the sets, when it's THE most used and most successful moveset in competive play?! And why would you not consider Knock Off as a viable move??? It is THE most viable move, aside from drain punch and maybe mach punch. POTW was something I used to look forward to every Sunday, but now... I don't know...

Stats
    Malamar is one of the best 6th gen pokes going, with the right setup. 92 Atk is capable of hurting most things, but 73 Spd isn't too great. A defensive spread of 86/88/75 isn't awesome either. The SpAtk isn't worth bothering with overly.

Movepool
    Physically, Malamar gets Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Superpower, Rock Slide, Aerial Ace, Pluck, Slash and Payback. Fairly decent, and Fighting/Psychic/Dark gets neutral coverage vs everything. Specially, it gets Psychic, Dark Pulse, Thunderbolt, and Flamethrower. OK, but it can't really pull it off that well. Setup-wise, he gets dual screens, Calm Mind, Psych Up, Destiny Bond, Swagger, Flatter and Power Split, as well as its signature, Topsy Turvy. All fairly useful, as Topsy Turvy can ruin Dragon/Quiver Dancers, as well as using Psych Up before that to mimic their boosts before reversing them. Swagger/Flatter and Topsy-Turvy can devastate, with confusion and -2 in either Atk/SpAtk. Destiny Bond helps with predictable OHKO switchins.

Abilities
    Malamar gets Contrary, Infiltrator and Suction Cups. Of them, Suction Cups is good against Roar teams, while Infiltrator kicks Wish/Protectors where it hurts. Both pale into insignificance in comparison to Contrary, which turns Superpower from wall-breaker to demolition tool. Use Contrary.

Sets
    Upsquide Down
    Malamar@Scope Lens
    Contrary
    Adamant
    252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Def OR SpDef
    -Superpower
    -Psycho Cut
    -Night Slash
    -Topsy Turvy/Pluck/Rock Slide
    This set is fairly simple, running off Superpower setup and Psycho Cut/Night Slash criticals. The last slot is for whether you need to crush Berry-reliant 'mons, screw over d-dancers, or destroy slower Bug-type switch-ins.

Doubles/Triples
    Malamar has no real difference in handling on this format, so yeah. Run wild.

Counters
    Bug types are your best bet here, due to the 4x weakness. Fairy also hurts the hypnosquid, due to the Dark typing. Sableye and Spiritomb also help, stopping Psycho Cuts and Superpower setups, while not being pooped on by Night Slash. It also hates being Burned due to the Atk drop, so anything with Prankster or that outspeeds it can destroy its hopes of hurting a lot.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    Friend Safari- Phantump, Drifblim, Shuppet.
    FC: 2793-1931-7921
    Time zone- London-GMT
    Showdown alt: Delta-Omega
    Started my journey into PASBL, let's see how I fare...
    Team info here.

Trust me when I say this is the best set this guy. I use it all the time and have even beaten legendary teams with it!

Poor Unfortunate Soul

Malimar @ Assult Vest
    Careful nature
    252 HP 252 SDef 6 Def
    -Superpower
    -Night Slash
    -Psycho Cut
    -Slash / Rock Slide

Quote Originally Posted by oogaman View Post
    Okay, sorry that I don't know where to post this, so I'll post this here. Whoever writes up the POTW has to step up his game. Since 6th gen came out, these articles just get more and more bland, like he doesn't know what he's talking about. One thing I liked about the old POTW was the straight up telling if a Pokemon sucked or was really good. Now, it's something along the lines of "oh, he's an interesting Pokemon" and then says, "he is horrible in competive play" AND THEN at the end they say something like, "He's actually really good, and can thrive in OU or something". And today's post on Conkeldurr was extremely disappointing. Why would you not put AV conkeldurr as one of the sets, when it's THE most used and most successful moveset in competive play?! And why would you not consider Knock Off as a viable move??? It is THE most viable move, aside from drain punch and maybe mach punch. POTW was something I used to look forward to every Sunday, but now... I don't know...
    Usually the POTW is done by Blue Harvest, who's a very competent competitive player and writer. She's the really blatantly honest writer that you've noticed in the past. However, sometimes she doesn't get the POTW to Serebii on time and he has to write it himself. As he himself has admitted, Serebii isn't a huge competitive player, so he does the best that he can with what he has. Their writing styles are really different, so I'd wager that the past several weeks have been Serebii writing (BH said something a few weeks back about having a tough work schedule, which might explain her absence).

Cons:
    - 4x weakness to Bug automatically spells trouble.
    - Base 73 Speeds leaves it in an awkward speed tier both in and out of Trick Room.
    - With access to Contrary, Suction Cups and Infiltrator are largely inferior.
    - Lack of priority on Topsy-Turvy means that Malamar will likely take a hit before using it, which normally isn't an option considering its average defenses and only 1 immunity with no resistances.
    - Psychic as a STAB is basically useless in VGCs.
    Last edited by PokeMaster366; 28th April 2014 at 3:36 AM.

Opposite Day/Excuse me sir, this calamari is (Topsy) turned

Malamar (Contrary)

Item: Life Orb
    -Superpower
    -Night Slash
    -Psycho Cut
    -Rock Slide/Trick Room
    Nature: Brave (-Speed+Attack)

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 DEF/SpD
    IVs: 0 Speed

This is preferably for a Trickroom team, The idea is simple, in nod to the set name, Superpower Malamar rebels against the norm and raises it's Attack and Defense instead of lowering them, than once again Malamar defines t.he norm and using TR, becomes a fast sweeper, Night Slash and Psycho Cut are for STAB and Rock Slide is for coverage as well as possible flinches, since Malamar is so slow, we might as well use that to our advantage and make him faster with TR, I guess we can call it... Turning the tables Topsy Turvy YEAHHHH!!!
    3DS Friend code
    1246 8777 2044

Feraligator is comin for you

Self appointed CEO of MDK Power Pokémon Inc.

Black FC: 3783 0862 9940

By the way I really like seeing your creativity, if you let me see your unique and creative PR video I will give you a Nice! and a random O-power

Wow i have been waiting for this since the time i beet xerosic in the team flare HQ. The thing superpowered my scizor, it died, and i was amazed to see its attack and sp. attack go up. I had never seen contrary before. Since then malamar has become on of my favorite Kalosian pokemon i i try to use this seemingly mediocre pokemon in my team to certain degrees of usefulness.

malamar @ expert belt
    nature: Jolly
    Ability: CONTRARY (DUH)

moves:

Superpower.
    Night slash.
    Psycho cut.
    Toxic.

Nothing to say, really. I used to go Swagger, foul play! but some people said night slash was better and i sorta dropped the idea. Malamar would do nice switching in on a sticky web, which is why i sort of chucjle with glee when i see a gakvantula on the team preview.

Otherwise, this guy has a lot of cons to it.
    I will take any criticism light heartedly, so feel free to criticise anything i post.

Noivern is my favourite pokemon. My least favourite pokemon is mr. mime.

73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump. If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this in your signature.

No rest talk malamar yet?

Leftovers Malamar

Movessycho Cut/night slash/rock slide(for coverage),rest,sleep talk,superpower

Just putting it out there this Pokemon evolves in a really cool way.

pain split could be used to help with damage
    destiny bond is risky to add but might be worth it
    flatter and swagger work well with your ability contrary
    Simple beam can remove some threats
    Switcheroo could work with a toxic orb or flame orb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast