Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #027

Quote Originally Posted by oogaman View Post
    Okay, sorry that I don't know where to post this, so I'll post this here. Whoever writes up the POTW has to step up his game. Since 6th gen came out, these articles just get more and more bland, like he doesn't know what he's talking about. One thing I liked about the old POTW was the straight up telling if a Pokemon sucked or was really good. Now, it's something along the lines of "oh, he's an interesting Pokemon" and then says, "he is horrible in competive play" AND THEN at the end they say something like, "He's actually really good, and can thrive in OU or something". And today's post on Conkeldurr was extremely disappointing. Why would you not put AV conkeldurr as one of the sets, when it's THE most used and most successful moveset in competive play?! And why would you not consider Knock Off as a viable move??? It is THE most viable move, aside from drain punch and maybe mach punch. POTW was something I used to look forward to every Sunday, but now... I don't know...
    I haven't written the POTW in almost two months. Serebii has been filling in for me (for all intents and purposes, I have quit).

If you have any interest in filling in and writing the POTW in the near future (or lol donating money so I actually do it ) feel free to PM me!!
    Last edited by What does the Dephox say?; 28th April 2014 at 5:06 PM.

Infiltrator
    Max attack, 1/2 hp 1/4 defense 1/4 speacil defense
    Adamant

Swagger
    Foul play
    Substitute/psyc up
    Psyco cut/ psyc up/ reversal

I'm doing something different then the crowd and using it's other usful ability

Edit: here's another set. Choice scarf on the opponent will boost your own payback. It can also force walls to use struggle if you run taunt

Item: choice scarf

Switchero
    Taunt/ rock slide
    Psyco cut
    Payback

It's attack topsy-turby can also assist Archeops in a double battle
    Last edited by Natural; 28th April 2014 at 9:23 PM.

Time for a doubles set, one I use myself,

Wearing the scarf upside down
    Malamar @ Choice Scarf
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
    128, HP, 252 Atk, 128 Spd (EV's might need a slightly better spread

- Superpower
    - Foul Play
    - Topsy Turvy
    - Switcheroo

This thing can do lots of things, depending on the situation. Superpower and Foul Play let it hit hard, and just fast enough, thanks to the Scarf. While FP is STAB, go for Superpower when you can, as the boost is nice. Topsy Turvy either turns you greatly debuffed ally in a wrecking ball, or the other way around ofcourse, but then I'd rather hit the other side. When up against the likes of Klefki, Blissey etc., Switcheroo turns them into Superpower bait, to further boost your stats.

Malamar has lots of options and functionalitities, but timing and a good ally are key.

Oh!

Switcheroo a choice band then use foul play

Max attack and speed
    Jolly
    Item: choice band

Switcheroo
    Foul play
    Rock slide/ taunt
    Substitute/ taunt
    Last edited by Natural; 28th April 2014 at 9:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oogaman View Post
    Okay, sorry that I don't know where to post this, so I'll post this here. Whoever writes up the POTW has to step up his game. Since 6th gen came out, these articles just get more and more bland, like he doesn't know what he's talking about. One thing I liked about the old POTW was the straight up telling if a Pokemon sucked or was really good. Now, it's something along the lines of "oh, he's an interesting Pokemon" and then says, "he is horrible in competive play" AND THEN at the end they say something like, "He's actually really good, and can thrive in OU or something". And today's post on Conkeldurr was extremely disappointing. Why would you not put AV conkeldurr as one of the sets, when it's THE most used and most successful moveset in competive play?! And why would you not consider Knock Off as a viable move??? It is THE most viable move, aside from drain punch and maybe mach punch. POTW was something I used to look forward to every Sunday, but now... I don't know...
    I'm going to flat out say it now that this has been brought up...

I'd really like to see the Snorlax POTW completely re-written. All it was was just a bunch of stupid jokes about how Snorlax has become oh-so useless, not even bothering to bring up any positive traits he has, or the fact that there's a new counter to Fighting types, or much past "Lol, Snorlax is so outdated." I thought, overall, Smogon did a MUCH better job of talking about his metagame, mostly because it wasn't just "lol, Snorlax sucks."

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

Snorlax would be good in a trick room team. Though It needs gyro ball so it can take advantage of its low speed
    Last edited by Natural; 29th April 2014 at 2:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    I'm going to flat out say it now that this has been brought up...

I'd really like to see the Snorlax POTW completely re-written. All it was was just a bunch of stupid jokes about how Snorlax has become oh-so useless, not even bothering to bring up any positive traits he has, or the fact that there's a new counter to Fighting types, or much past "Lol, Snorlax is so outdated." I thought, overall, Smogon did a MUCH better job of talking about his metagame, mostly because it wasn't just "lol, Snorlax sucks."
    Snorlax does suck.

Quote Originally Posted by What does the Dephox say? View Post
    Snorlax does suck.
    Yet, even when a Pokemon isn't all that good, there's still more positive comments than what was used. I don't know if this is true, but I hear Snorlax is much better in Doubles/Triples than he is in singles.

Like you said, the POTW is usually done by Blue Harvest, but is often done by Serebii. Maybe that's why the article felt different than the others.

What can I contribute to Malamar? It has a great ability in Contrary, and can easily use Superpower to buff up. ...Except not very easily at all, considering its subpar stats. It's not fast enough to outspeed most things, nor is it slow enough to work in Trick Room. I'm no expert on battling, but I think its main usage is to catch an opponent using a non-damaging move or switch out on Malamar.
    Last edited by MugoUrth; 29th April 2014 at 3:17 AM.

I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

Snorlax does suck.
    He has potential in a trick room team

Edit: just realized it would need an assault vest probably
    Last edited by Natural; 29th April 2014 at 3:49 AM.

Snorlax does suck.
    Tell me how. It's only improved with the shift to Generation 6, due to the introduction of Fairies and Fighting types in general seeing less use. With an Assault Vest and Thick Fat, it can stop a number of potent special threats in their tracks and Pursuit them for some nice damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural View Post
    Snorlax would be good in a trick room team. Though It needs gyro ball so it can take advantage of its low speed
    Max power STAB Return is more powerful than max power non-STAB Gyro Ball. That, and...
    Body Slam = Para Spam
    Quote Originally Posted by VerntheNoivern View Post
    Wow i have been waiting for this since the time i beet xerosic in the team flare HQ. The thing superpowered my scizor, it died, and i was amazed to see its attack and sp. attack go up. I had never seen contrary before. Since then malamar has become on of my favorite Kalosian pokemon i i try to use this seemingly mediocre pokemon in my team to certain degrees of usefulness.

malamar @ expert belt
    nature: Jolly
    Ability: CONTRARY (DUH)

moves:

Superpower.
    Night slash.
    Psycho cut.
    Toxic.

Nothing to say, really. I used to go Swagger, foul play! but some people said night slash was better and i sorta dropped the idea. Malamar would do nice switching in on a sticky web, which is why i sort of chucjle with glee when i see a gakvantula on the team preview.

Otherwise, this guy has a lot of cons to it.
    When I think of Contrary abuse, I think of Leaf Storm Serperior. Already fast and faster on a sticky web, then naturally bulky. Get that Leaf Storm boost, and the need for coverage becomes almost a thing of the past. Plus that boosted Giga Drain is his way of saying "I aint go'n anywhere, motherf**ker.".

By the way, there are worse times to use Sticky Web. I once had a guy Stick Web my Trick Room team. He ragequit as soon as I used Trick Room, witch was the first turn (I think).
    Last edited by ! Q; 29th April 2014 at 4:37 AM.
    Q's Pokemon Yellow Version Nuzlocke Challenge!    Spoiler:- Details:
    On hold due to NOTHING!
    CHALLENGE RESUMED!
    Nintendo Network ID: Q_Rush
    Friend Code: 0576-5575-3090
    Safari: Fire w/ Larvesta, Growlithe, and Fletchinder!!! (Gale Wings, anyone?)

Quit dropping my rep just because I use blue text! It's my "thing" and it's not changing! If you can't read it, then just highlight it with your cursor.

Yet, even when a Pokemon isn't all that good, there's still more positive comments than what was used. I don't know if this is true, but I hear Snorlax is much better in Doubles/Triples than he is in singles.

Like you said, the POTW is usually done by Blue Harvest, but is often done by Serebii. Maybe that's why the article felt different than the others.
    I am Blue Harvest, and I wrote Snorlax, not Serebii. ;) Yes Snorlax is bad, but I also listed the absolute best sets it could run in XY. What would you like to see? Some BS about how great it is in standard play and completely ignore its massive flaws? Would you rather I just bash it relentlessly and tell people if they use it they will lose? Or maybe what I did do... tell people the truth. Snorlax was once great, and it is still sort of usable (sorta) but it isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

You can't say "it works on Trick Room" because it doesn't, really. Maybe in doubles / triples I guess. I used Snorlax in my Doubles team for a long time, though that was back in 4 gen, where it was okay. But it isn't anything special in Trick Room. 110 base Attack is solid but not really amazing. Why is it good in Trick Room? It's slow? Nothing special about that. There are MANY other slow Pokemon with high offenses. The biggest issue with saying something is "good in Trick Room" is that well, Trick Room isn't good. A few Pokemon like Reuniclus can sort of use Trick Room on their own but full Trick Room "teams" are extremely difficult to make work.

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    Tell me how. It's only improved with the shift to Generation 6, due to the introduction of Fairies and Fighting types in general seeing less use. With an Assault Vest and Thick Fat, it can stop a number of potent special threats in their tracks and Pursuit them for some nice damage.
    So can Tyranitar, Scizor, Aegislash, and Bisharp. They are all far more effective at it and actually have fantastic secondary functions. The issue isn't that Snorlax himself is bad (though he kinda is), it's that there are far better other things to use.
    Last edited by What does the Dephox say?; 29th April 2014 at 4:34 AM.

but full Trick Room "teams" are extremely difficult to make work.
    Not only did I make a full Trick Room team, but I also made that same team a full Sand team. I called it "The Sands of Time". It wasn't half bad.
    Q's Pokemon Yellow Version Nuzlocke Challenge!    Spoiler:- Details:
    On hold due to NOTHING!
    CHALLENGE RESUMED!
    Nintendo Network ID: Q_Rush
    Friend Code: 0576-5575-3090
    Safari: Fire w/ Larvesta, Growlithe, and Fletchinder!!! (Gale Wings, anyone?)

Quit dropping my rep just because I use blue text! It's my "thing" and it's not changing! If you can't read it, then just highlight it with your cursor.

The problem with Snorlax is that he doesn't bring much to the table that something else can. Sure, he can tank special hits really well while offering decent offensive presence, but he'll be worn down pretty quickly without Leftovers or any other recovery. The metagame is pretty physically biased right now, which makes his job harder, and so many special attackers are dangerous to switch into in the first place. Keldeo smashes him with Secret Swords, Rotom-W burns him, Gengar and Gardevoir might also burn him depending on the set, Latios breezes by with Psyshock, LO Nasty Plot Thundurus-I OHKOs with Focus Blast at +2 if you're not running Assault Vest (and if you are, he's a lot easier to wear down during the game), Landorus 2HKOs with Focus Blast after Stealth Rock, etc. Maybe he doesn't outright suck, but he's a blah OU Pokemon at best. It's significantly better in UU, but UU wasn't a thing yet when that POTW article was written, so...yeah.

As for Malamar, it's kind of an unfortunate case. People got really excited when Game Freak finally released a Contrary abuser that had decent stats and some real offense, unlike Shuckle and Spinda before it. Then we started to realize that Superpower + Contrary wasn't as great a combination as everyone thought it would be, especially considering that most of Malamar's stats were below average and its typing was terrible. Even down in RU Beta, it's an okay Pokemon at best. I've tried using it a couple of times, and this was the set I ended up settling on.

Malamar @ Assault Vest
    Trait: Contrary
    EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    -Superpower
    -Psycho Cut
    -Night Slash
    -Rock Slide

The Assault Vest gives Malamar almost as much special bulk as an equally invested Latias, which isn't half bad at all. With a couple of Def boosts under its belt, Malamar can take hits decently from all sides, which gives it a better shot at doing some real damage. Even with the extra special bulk, though, Malamar still won't last for a long time due to the lack of recovery and resistances bar a Psychic immunity. Rock Slide is mostly filler; most of RU is hit hard enough between your STABs and Superpower. Still, it does do a ton of damage to a few things like Moltres and Tornadus, which is pretty useful. It's not a fantastic set, but it's the one I've ended up liking the best due to how reliable it is in comparison to some other sets I've seen (such as Trick Room). The Spe EVs are used to outpace 4 Spe Cresselia, and the rest is used to max out Atk and boost bulk as much as possible.
    Last edited by jesusfreak94; 29th April 2014 at 4:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ! Q View Post
    Not only did I make a full Trick Room team, but I also made that same team a full Sand team. I called it "The Sands of Time". It wasn't half bad.
    That's awesome dude! But now take that team and get to the top of any battling ladder, or win a high level tournament with it. Is it possible? Perhaps, but generally speaking Trick Room teams are weak compared to standard teams. They do okay vs offense by they completely fail against stall or any defensive team that doesn't rely on speed. Also Trick Room doesn't effect priority so stuff like Talonflame and Scizor still rip into you before you can fight back.

If a pokemon set up a trick room upon switching in, then would it be viable?

I am Blue Harvest, and I wrote Snorlax, not Serebii. Yes Snorlax is bad, but I also listed the absolute best sets it could run in XY. What would you like to see? Some BS about how great it is in standard play and completely ignore its massive flaws? Would you rather I just bash it relentlessly and tell people if they use it they will lose? Or maybe what I did do... tell people the truth. Snorlax was once great, and it is still sort of usable (sorta) but it isn't nearly as good as it used to be.

You can't say "it works on Trick Room" because it doesn't, really. Maybe in doubles / triples I guess. I used Snorlax in my Doubles team for a long time, though that was back in 4 gen, where it was okay. But it isn't anything special in Trick Room. 110 base Attack is solid but not really amazing. Why is it good in Trick Room? It's slow? Nothing special about that. There are MANY other slow Pokemon with high offenses. The biggest issue with saying something is "good in Trick Room" is that well, Trick Room isn't good. A few Pokemon like Reuniclus can sort of use Trick Room on their own but full Trick Room "teams" are extremely difficult to make work.

So can Tyranitar, Scizor, Aegislash, and Bisharp. They are all far more effective at it and actually have fantastic secondary functions. The issue isn't that Snorlax himself is bad (though he kinda is), it's that there are far better other things to use.
    You had more positive things to say for worse Pokemon. You were not just writing an article that seemed like it was designed to offend fans of certain Pokemon in your other articles. You were usually truthful, but always listed goods and bads without being too negative. But your Snorlax article felt completely different from your other articles, in that it felt like it was designed to be offensive and treated any positive thing as an afterthought in the review. You payed little attention to what it could still do and more time writing "Lol, Snorlax sucks now," for almost the entire article. This is the only article I've seen from you where you do this.

Spoiler:- Irrelevant ranting:

Not to mention, as far as those four go, Snorlax may have 2X weakness to Fighting, but Tyranitar is 4X weak to it, making it even harder for HIM to switch out. Aint no fairy type helping his ***, since Fairy Typing gives him one more threat to worry about. Scizor's a one-trick pony who only really works well on baton pass teams... or against teams without a fire user but considering a lot of teams FINALLY now have Charizard (Usually that ugly *** Charizard Y with the Shoop-da-woop fire beam) Scizor has more competition. Aegislash not only has to deal with Charizard as well, but is easily destroyed by those who work with status moves since his King's Shield only works against damaging moves. And Bisharp? I'm not sure, but I do know he is quite frail and also takes 4X damage from fighting moves. However, he does somewhat benefit with Fairy typing.

Snorlax didn't get any real improvements, but neither does he really have any new threats to work against. He basically just stayed the same as he was in last gen. The only thing really helping him is Assault Vest and the new fairy typing. It may not be enough to get him out of UU tier, but that's at the very least something. You didn't even bring up Fairy types in that entire review.

Speaking of Malamar and Aegislash, Malamar is actually not terrible to use against him. Malamar can't Superpower buff itself, but it CAN catch Aegislash using King's Shield and turn the 2 Tier attack debuff into a buff, and hopefully use something to take advantage of that later on. Later on, because what Malamar has that even works against Aegislash well is Foul Play, which works on the opponents Attack, not the users. Still, catch Aegislash using Sword Dance and you could be able to get him next turn if he doesn't end up killing you with Shadow Sneak. ...Then again there are much better Foul Play users out there than Malamar. Plus truth be told, it depends on how dumb the user is. Since it won't fight Malamar often, it's debatable. ...Maybe it's not so good.
    Last edited by MugoUrth; 29th April 2014 at 4:30 PM.

That review was written before fairies came into the game I think

Touché. (so you're bh, explains how you knew about team america lol)

Anyway, everything that Malamar can really do has been covered already. One could do a Choice Scarf set with Switcheroo, but I think Assault Vest is the way to go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural View Post
    That review was written before fairies came into the game I think
    Fairies came into the game in xy and that analysis was from xy :$

Well, pretty much everything I had to say about this thing has already been said, so I'll just throw out some random facts.
    Malamar and Inkay are the only pokemon in the water 2 egg group that aren't water types.
    Malamar's name is a combination of mal (latin for bad) calamari, and mare(latin for sea)
    It's hypnosis abilities may be based off of the vampire squid
    Meet Tropius, the once good Grass type nerfed in X & Y

So I just got a negative "reputation" thingy that said...

Assault Vest and Guts totally don't work together on Conkeldurr :/
    I'm not sure who did this and I don't really care, but you should know that AV + Guts is THE MOST COMMON SET USED RIGHT NOW. Bulk Up, Flame Orb, Band etc are all terrible in OU right now. AV isn't really all that great either since Mega Venusaur and sort of Talonflame smash it so hard but it's still the best set it can run. ^_^

You had more positive things to say for worse Pokemon.
    Besides Delphox I always do the exact same thing for every mon... I tell the truth. I post honestly how good that Pokemon is, and regardless of how good it actually is I post the best sets it has available to it. The POTW does not update like the Smogon analysis but as of posting every POTW is 100% up to date and competitively viable (at least the ones I wrote).

You were not just writing an article that seemed like it was designed to offend fans of certain Pokemon in your other articles.
    I totally was picking on Delphox fans. No way I can hide that one.

You were usually truthful, but always listed goods and bads without being too negative.
    I did that with Snorlax, just as I did with every other Pokemon. Perhaps you think I was too harsh because you like Snorlax? Don't be biased. I love Victreebel (It's my favorite Pokemon) but I freely admit that it is horrible.

But your Snorlax article felt completely different from your other articles, in that it felt like it was designed to be offensive and treated any positive thing as an afterthought in the review. You payed little attention to what it could still do and more time writing "Lol, Snorlax sucks now," for almost the entire article. This is the only article I've seen from you where you do this.
    Did you actually read it? I posted the absolute best sets it can run right now. People seem to have this thing where they want every Pokemon to sweep and get multiple KOs per game. Snorlax used to be able to do that but unfortunately it can't anymore. The game has changed too much. Snorlax only has a few remotely usable sets left all of which I posted.

Also, all four of those Pokemon are ugly as hell! I could care less if Snorlax wasn't as-good as shitzor or aegisuckass, Snorlax at least has a charming appearance to him. That may not mean anything to most, but honestly I find it odd that Game Freak always makes the absolute ugliest Pokemon OU worthy. This gen we had so many badass Pokemon, the evil Jellypuss Malamar, a huge monstrous T-Rex, among other cool designs, and yet the ones that become OU are another overrated Eeveeon, 6th Gen's Vanilluxe design, an ugly read bird, floating weapons with absolutely no charm or personality, and the most hideous... thing Pokemon has ever made up: Greninja. What usually becomes OU are... stick figures. Not big, badass bulky designs which RARELY become OU, and when they do they're usually unappealing bulky designs (Except Venusaur).

Ugh. Serperior is yet another example of hideous Pokemon becoming powerful while well designed and charming looking Pokemon rot in the lower tiers. GIVE US COOLER OU POKEMON GAMEFREAK!
    The way a Pokemon looks has nothing to do with how good it is in battle. Chansey looks useless in combat but in reality it is the best mixed wall in the game. Beedrill looks menacing on paper but it is useless in practice.

(I agree Greninja is super-ugly!)

Not to mention, as far as those four go, Snorlax may have 2X weakness to Fighting, but Tyranitar is 4X weak to it, making it even harder for HIM to switch out.
    If you let EITHER Pokemon take a fighting hit you are using them wrong.

Aint no fairy type helping his ***, since Fairy Typing gives him one more threat to worry about.
    Tyranitar doesn't really care about Fairies much since they're physically frail and most die in two hits to Stone Edge. Moonblast also won't even get close to a KO on AV Tyranitar.

Scizor's a one-trick pony who only really works well on baton pass teams... or against teams without a fire user but considering a lot of teams FINALLY now have Charizard (Usually that ugly *** Charizard Y with the Shoop-da-woop fire beam) Scizor has more competition.
    Scizor has like 6 usable sets AND A MEGA. It is not a one trick pony at all. It was top 10 in usage pretty consistently since Platinum. It has one predictable weakness which is can generally work around by spamming U-turn while Stealth Rocks are in play. It received massive boosts this gen in Knock Off, Defog, and a Mega form. Scizor is fantastic.

Aegislash not only has to deal with Charizard as well,
    Charizard and Charizard Y are both OHKOed by Shadow Ball if Stealth Rocks are in play. Charizard X is KOed by Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak with rocks in play. Without Stealth Rocks they still take a massive hit and are either crippled for the rest of the match or are forced to Roost.

Everything has counters. Aegislash is one of the most common Pokemon right now. It has a stronger Pursuit, way better typing, FAR better offenses and better mixed defenses. You can't say Snorlax is better because it does better against Charizard when it does worse against pretty much everything else.

but is easily destroyed by those who work with status moves since his King's Shield only works against damaging moves.
    Which is why you switch out of status move... Which Snorlax is extremely vulnerable to. At least Aegislash is immune to Toxic. Unless you use Immunity Snorlax lol.

And Bisharp? I'm not sure, but I do know he is quite frail and also takes 4X damage from fighting moves.
    Perhaps you should switch out of Fighting moves? ;)

However, he does somewhat benefit with Fairy typing.
    Sort of. It doesn't really take Moonblasts as well as you'd hope.

Snorlax didn't get any real improvements, but neither does he really have any new threats to work against. He basically just stayed the same as he was in last gen.
    Exactly. He hasn't improved. But the rest of Pokemon has. Things hit harder and are better at breaking defenses than they ever were.

The only thing really helping him is Assault Vest
    Yes, and AV Snorlax is deceptively easy to wear down. Stealth Rocks, Sandstorm, Volt Switch... the damage adds up. Despite taking more from Focus Blast AV Tyranitar takes hits much better and has a significantly stronger Pursuit. It also can go mixed and run MANY other sets. Snorlax is a one trick pony.

and the new fairy typing. It may not be enough to get him out of UU tier, but that's at the very least something. You didn't even bring up Fairy types in that entire review.
    What do Fairies have to do with Snorlax? Lax sorta beats them but it is in no way any better at that than something like Heatran or Scizor.

Speaking of Malamar and Aegislash, Malamar is actually not terrible to use against him. Malamar can't Superpower buff itself, but it CAN catch Aegislash using King's Shield and turn the 2 Tier attack debuff into a buff, and hopefully use something to take advantage of that later on. Later on, because what Malamar has that even works against Aegislash well is Foul Play, which works on the opponents Attack, not the users. Still, catch Aegislash using Sword Dance and you could be able to get him next turn if he doesn't end up killing you with Shadow Sneak. ...Then again there are much better Foul Play users out there than Malamar. Plus truth be told, it depends on how dumb the user is. Since it won't fight Malamar often, it's debatable. ...Maybe it's not so good.
    Malamar is pretty decent at taking out Aegislash provided you don't switch directly in on Shadow Ball. It's far too easy to King's Shield and forget about Contrary (I've done this multiple times). It takes a neutral hit from basically everything Aegislash learns though so it can't switch in too easily. If it eats a Shadow Ball it will take about 60% damage even with max HP.

I thought we were talking about Malamar here. What is going on?

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlKirbyZombie View Post
    I thought we were talking about Malamar here. What is going on?
    Snorlax is also cool too bro.

Besides Delphox I always do the exact same thing for every mon... I tell the truth. I post honestly how good that Pokemon is, and regardless of how good it actually is I post the best sets it has available to it. The POTW does not update like the Smogon analysis but as of posting every POTW is 100% up to date and competitively viable (at least the ones I wrote).

That's why that review seemed different.

I did that with Snorlax, just as I did with every other Pokemon. Perhaps you think I was too harsh because you like Snorlax? Don't be biased. I love Victreebel (It's my favorite Pokemon) but I freely admit that it is horrible.

Not really. Like I said, I only noticed focusing only on bad aspects with the Snorlax review. I mean come on, in the Aromatisse review, it was basically nothing but "Aromatisse is great in doubles," without even mentioning the fact it's utter useless in singles.

Did you actually read it? I posted the absolute best sets it can run right now. People seem to have this thing where they want every Pokemon to sweep and get multiple KOs per game. Snorlax used to be able to do that but unfortunately it can't anymore. The game has changed too much. Snorlax only has a few remotely usable sets left all of which I posted.

I was never asking you to lie, by the way.

The way a Pokemon looks has nothing to do with how good it is in battle. Chansey looks useless in combat but in reality it is the best mixed wall in the game. Beedrill looks menacing on paper but it is useless in practice.

(I agree Greninja is super-ugly!)

If it looks awesome, chances are it sucks. On the flipside if it looks absolutely ugly or retarded, chances are it's really really powerful.

Tyranitar doesn't really care about Fairies much since they're physically frail and most die in two hits to Stone Edge. Moonblast also won't even get close to a KO on AV Tyranitar.

You're focusing on switch-ins.

Scizor has like 6 usable sets AND A MEGA. It is not a one trick pony at all. It was top 10 in usage pretty consistently since Platinum. It has one predictable weakness which is can generally work around by spamming U-turn while Stealth Rocks are in play. It received massive boosts this gen in Knock Off, Defog, and a Mega form. Scizor is fantastic.

Scizor is ugly and dies easily with fire. Also, cannot U-Turn most fire types since he's too slow.

Charizard and Charizard Y are both OHKOed by Shadow Ball if Stealth Rocks are in play. Charizard X is KOed by Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak with rocks in play. Without Stealth Rocks they still take a massive hit and are either crippled for the rest of the match or are forced to Roost.

Again, focusing too much on switch-ins.

Everything has counters. Aegislash is one of the most common Pokemon right now. It has a stronger Pursuit, way better typing, FAR better offenses and better mixed defenses. You can't say Snorlax is better because it does better against Charizard when it does worse against pretty much everything else.

No, but he can still do other things. Plus, Snorlax is just a more likeable character.

Which is why you switch out of status move... Which Snorlax is extremely vulnerable to. At least Aegislash is immune to Toxic. Unless you use Immunity Snorlax lol.

I am starting to think you're showing bias too.

Sort of. It doesn't really take Moonblasts as well as you'd hope.

He's frail.

Exactly. He hasn't improved. But the rest of Pokemon has. Things hit harder and are better at breaking defenses than they ever were.

But you only focused on how out-dated he was and nothing else.

Yes, and AV Snorlax is deceptively easy to wear down. Stealth Rocks, Sandstorm, Volt Switch... the damage adds up. Despite taking more from Focus Blast AV Tyranitar takes hits much better and has a significantly stronger Pursuit. It also can go mixed and run MANY other sets. Snorlax is a one trick pony.

With all the weaknesses Tyranitar has, I have a hard time believing it can take

What do Fairies have to do with Snorlax? Lax sorta beats them but it is in no way any better at that than something like Heatran or Scizor.

Dealing with Fighting types. Also, Heatran and Scizor belong in Uber. They're both hideous and impossible to beat.

Not really. Like I said, I only noticed focusing only on bad aspects with the Snorlax review. I mean come on, in the Aromatisse review, it was basically nothing but "Aromatisse is great in doubles," without even mentioning the fact it's utter useless in singles.
    I'm pretty sure she didn't write Aromatisse either.

If it looks awesome, chances are it sucks. On the flipside if it looks absolutely ugly or retarded, chances are it's really really powerful.
    Blaziken. Your argument is now invalid.

Scizor is ugly and dies easily with fire. Also, cannot U-Turn most fire types since he's too slow.
    What? Scizor looks pretty awesome, and Mega Scizor has CHAINSAW ARMS. And Scizor U-turns as the Fire-types come in, not after switching into one. Fire-type takes some U-turn and maybe Stealth Rock damage and Scizor gets off scot-free while gaining valuable momentum. Win-win.

Again, focusing too much on switch-ins.
    See, here's the thing. Why should we not focus on the switch in? If you say that Pokemon X has problems with Pokemon Y but Pokemon Y can't switch into Pokemon X at all, then Pokemon X doesn't have that many problems with Pokemon Y, does it?

I am starting to think you're showing bias too.
    That's not bias. Aegislash really is immune to Toxic and Snorlax really isn't unless it runs Immunity That's a fact. Besides, Immunity is generally inferior to Thick Fat since you're giving up two important Fire and Ice resistances for an immunity to poison. Taking on things like Charizard Y more easily is one of the main reasons Snorlax has any real niche in the first place, and you need Thick Fat to help with that.

With all the weaknesses Tyranitar has, I have a hard time believing it can take
    Assuming just max HP on both Pokemon, Tyranitar is about 18.9% more physically bulk and 6.6% more specially bulky (thanks to Sand Stream) than Snorlax. It also has 7 resistances as opposed to Snorlax's 3 (counting Thick Fat). There's a lot more to taking hits than just weaknesses.

Dealing with Fighting types. Also, Heatran and Scizor belong in Uber. They're both hideous and impossible to beat.
    There have always been things that could take Fighting attacks. Before Fairies, there were Ghosts, Flyers, Psychics, Bugs, and Poisons. Adding one more to that list doesn't necessarily make Snorlax a lot better, especially seeing as how some Fighting Pokemon are so powerful that a lot of Fairies fall flat on their faces against them anyway.

Also, Heatran and Scizor are nowhere near impossible too beat. Heatran can be stopped the same way you'd stop Charizard Y or something, and while its defensive sets are great, their lack of reliable recovery and common weaknesses (especially to Ground attacks) are easily exploited. Scizor is also checked or outright walled by a number of things such as the Mega Charizards, Heatran, Aegislash (hates Knock Off, but what doesn't?), Skarmory, Landorus-T, Gliscor, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast