Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Password Security

Default Password Security

Hi all,

In recent weeks, a couple of users have had their accounts broken into, which has created a systemic cascade for them with other accounts used by the person.

They're not getting in through us, but I'm making this announcement to remind you all to have secure passwords, and that it's always best not to use the same password for your e-mail and other accounts across the net.

We're currently working on restoring the accounts of these users so please stand by.

Just be careful and make sure all your passwords are secure.

Thanks

~Serebii

This is scary. Should we be changing our passwords just in case?

Based on what he said, Seraphina, it's not really a "just in case" thing. If you don't have a secure password, it would be wise to change it to make it secure. If your password is secure, you should be in good shape (assuming you don't use the same password for something else).

Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

definitely change your password if it is not a good one and/or it is the same as multiple other accounts. but more importantly you should make sure that your computer and anything linked to this account (i.e. your email) is secure. if one of those is not secure not only can they get into your sppf account regardless of how good your password is, but they can get into pretty much any other account you have too.

one thing i do that has really helped keep all my accounts secure across the net is to use gmail as my primary email and turn on two-step verification. if i or anyone else tries to sign onto my email on a device i have not approved, it sends a code to my cell phone and i need to put in the code on the new device in order to access my email. so even if someone managed to get my gmail password, they still couldn't get into my account without the code from my phone.

obviously it's not foolproof but it's a good extra step, especially if you have social media accounts, buy things online, use online banking, or anything else with sensitive information.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

This is really just a general statement. It's not due to anything on our end, but a secure password is always better to have, especially with your e-mail.

good looking out Joe and thanks for the tip Ellie I'll definitely do that with my gmail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive
    We all stand in single file line, and we have all been born into it.

So basically, change every password that you use your forum password to access, and do not sync your new password to anywhere else.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

I have changed my password a few time the past few days, namely cause of something from last night
    my claim is Staraptor
    I love to help people if you ever need anything let me know, I will see what I can do

It has been changed.
    Although I got a creepy PM...

~Banner by Sworn Metalhead~
    ~I claim Abomasnow, Team Fortress 2 and the Pyro~

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Fuel View Post
    It has been changed.
    Although I got a creepy PM...
    Can you forward it to me

I got one too, actually a bunch
    my claim is Staraptor
    I love to help people if you ever need anything let me know, I will see what I can do

I received one like the others as well. He then specifically explained how he got a member called Steelrush banned.

I got the PMs as well. Very weird and somewhat creepy too.

But yeah I changed my passwords so I'm more secure now.

Thanks for the info Serebii, I'll change my password as soon as I get a chance.

Creepy Pms you say? I didn't get any, oh well, guess I can't get all the fun XD
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

I got creepy PMs as well and reported them as well.

Changed my password and such as well, too.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

I'll change my password asap. Thanks for letting us all know about this issue Serebii.

My Friend Code for my 3ds! My friend Safari Type is Poison
    1693 1038 1902

Guys, you don't necessarily need to change your password, just make sure it's a secure one. Not like "pokemon123" or anything like that

I did not get any creepy Private messages but now I am kind of worried. My password is already really hard to guess so I guess I will not be changing it.

Edit: Ellie was a huge help.

Lol I got an email saying that I was breaking into my own account XD but I just forgot my password
    Friend code:3969-4581-6677
    I hate rocks

I haven't received any of these PMs at all. I do wonder what they entailed, but whatever.

Changed my password to something more secure. Hopefully I'll be safe; this is slightly unnerving.

I usually don't respond to announcements, but I felt this one was particularly important. (I'm considering doing that more often, actually.) Anyways, I've been thinking about changing my password, but to one that's random. How it'd work is that I'd close my eyes and hit keys randomly, then I'd look afterwards at the password. My thinking is that random passwords are more difficult to hack into. However, first I'll want to check to see if I'm even allowed to change passwords. On top of that, should that be allowed, there could be additional problems I may not even be aware of. It's burdening on me partially since I could be far easier to frame due to too many others not even being aware of my existence. I've yet to get into trouble and want to make sure it stays that way.
    I am slowly and gradually (but surely) changing for the better and believe that it will be reflected by my actions and decisions. Will I always succeed in decency and self-discipline? Most likely not. Am I perfect? Never; I am a human being and will therefore make errors. Will I try to live and act the proper way whilst being as close to perfect as humanly possible? Absolutely! I'm not as good as I should be, but I'm better than I once was.

Random letters on your keyboard can easily be hacked into because there are programs out there that can generate several possible password combinations to hack into accounts. It's best to use a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols because it would take the program forever to generate something that matches a password like "MyFavoriteSodaIsDietPepsi&icandrinkatleast5_per_d ay". That password uses a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols, and it's harder to guess than something like "horses123".
    [23:47] <kesha> PENNSATUCKY PLEASE CURE ME OF THESE UNCLEAN THOUGHTS

pm me any reports/questions that you may have
    (it may take a couple of days for me to respond, though)

Oh, sorry, I figured it was possible, but didn't realize that it was of reality. I'll figure something out.
    I am slowly and gradually (but surely) changing for the better and believe that it will be reflected by my actions and decisions. Will I always succeed in decency and self-discipline? Most likely not. Am I perfect? Never; I am a human being and will therefore make errors. Will I try to live and act the proper way whilst being as close to perfect as humanly possible? Absolutely! I'm not as good as I should be, but I'm better than I once was.

also adding onto what kreis said, length is actually the most important factor because of how cracking programs work. it's more effective to use something like:
    paperclipsclipmypaperstogetherandmakesureidontlose anythingineedandgetfantasticgrades

than:
    u7p2n&&TI

a combination of both is best but length is very important

note that this applies for ANY password not just your sppf ones. we did not have a break in the system but it appears several people had unsecured email accounts/computers and that is how the person got in.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Okay, since the above post just begs me to ask this, what is the character limit on Serebii Forums passwords?

Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast