Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A new Award System is now in place!

I think this is a great concept. Especially for people who contribute a lot to the site.

Also, marking the accounts of scammers is a good idea. Although I wonder if you get it if you just trade one hacked pokémon. Sometimes you can't know yourself, for an instance, I've had this Dusknoir I traded from someone back in D/P and only found it out was a hack when pokémon bank didn't let it through. If I would've traded it without knowing it was hacked, would I get the scammer thingy as well? Or do people only get it when they're obviously scamming people?

I am indeed the one with the power of a god.
    The divine flames that I've absorbed
    will burn you to a crisp with nuclear energy and leave nothing behind!

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Pokétrainer View Post
    I think this is a great concept. Especially for people who contribute a lot to the site.

Also, marking the accounts of scammers is a good idea. Although I wonder if you get it if you just trade one hacked pokémon. Sometimes you can't know yourself, for an instance, I've had this Dusknoir I traded from someone back in D/P and only found it out was a hack when pokémon bank didn't let it through. If I would've traded it without knowing it was hacked, would I get the scammer thingy as well? Or do people only get it when they're obviously scamming people?
    The Scammer badge is only for multiple-offenders

I personally think this is a great idea and it has been well executed. They look great EG

Credits to Sworn for the Banner, buttons to astral shadow, Drac Buttons to EG

This looks awesome but since I have bad dial up internet looks like I won't ever get some of these badges
    http://www.neoseeker.com/ Please join this site I think we should help all the community's there also this is the one that I am trying to build up http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/64633/. So please join and help

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg31/...if&res=landing
    I don't accept random friend requests and don't read my convos

Gotta say I like the look of that award system. Think I should do my best to help those who need Hidden Abilities when I'm not occupying the Daycare Centre and maybe try for a Battle or 2.
    Pkmn Trainer Halkel:
    Diamond FC: 0259-7843-6718
    Platinum FC: 4985-1701-9701
    Heart Gold FC: 4598-1825-7435
    Black FC: 3825-7716-5520
    Black 2 FC: 3053-5471-8420
    3DS FC: 3179-6050-1707

Secret Base:

B2W2 HAf: 220/220 (222/222 if you count both formes of Basculin and Shellos)
    XY HAf: 265/265 (270/272 if you count both formes of Basculin, Shellos, Pumpkaboo, and 2 of the other Floette)
    XY HAm/HAg: 14/14

Spreadsheet for Hidden Abilities (Gen 5 now added)

Hunting HH/Friend Safari Pokemon (Not asking for):

Seeking Hidden Abilities (X&Y): None right now

Nationals Ratings:
    UK Nationals 2013: Rank 77

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkipzroks View Post
    This looks awesome but since I have bad dial up internet looks like I won't ever get some of these badges
    Dial up has nothing to do with being a good user

These look interesting, but how will we know if we are eligible? I think that a nomination system should be put in place so that if someone is nominated by a different user, it goes to an admin who makes a note on their profile, and with 3 or so nominations, they get the badge. Of course, some badges should be automatically given, such as Former Site Staff or POTW Contributor. This could also apply to the scammer badge so that they could be easily found.

Expanding the number of badges, such as Guild Leader and Club Owner would also be great.

Quote Originally Posted by King Infernape the III View Post
    These look interesting, but how will we know if we are eligible? I think that a nomination system should be put in place so that if someone is nominated by a different user, it goes to an admin who makes a note on their profile, and with 3 or so nominations, they get the badge. Of course, some badges should be automatically given, such as Former Site Staff or POTW Contributor. This could also apply to the scammer badge so that they could be easily found.

Expanding the number of badges, such as Guild Leader and Club Owner would also be great.
    You won't know you're eligible until a staff gives you the badge. The idea behind this is the same as our moderation policies. If we have set checkpoints people need to meet the conditions, which are public, then people can easily fake it.

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    You won't know you're eligible until a staff gives you the badge. The idea behind this is the same as our moderation policies. If we have set checkpoints people need to meet the conditions, which are public, then people can easily fake it.
    well this new reward system looks great serebii i like the idea it shows how much helpful someone is at there skill here on serebii but the best thing they deserve it and good to have conditions for these things as well so it should show some balance as well as the scammer icon is a brilliant idea

Damn i want one ~~

Wow these are really neat ^^ Thank you!

Days without 3DS:
    43 and counting
    GOAL: To have a bigger trade shop than varanus_komodoensis & Zold :3
    I have Alpha Sapphire, but my 3DS is broken and I am waiting to receive it repaired.

I love those badges , really great ideia to see who is scammer or not, good ideia

Awesome idea, should be brilliant.
    Signature edited due to exceeding height limits. Please read the signature rules before editing your signature.
    Friend Safari- Phantump, Drifblim, Shuppet.
    FC: 2793-1931-7921
    Time zone- London-GMT
    Showdown alt: Delta-Omega
    Started my journey into PASBL, let's see how I fare...
    Team info here.

Quote Originally Posted by King Infernape the III View Post

The basic goal of badges is just to show the site's gratitude to the person's contributions. As long as you like doing the work (and you produce good work), you will get a badge. You should never do work just to get some pixels. If you do a lot of something and expect a reward, but don't get it, you're setting yourself up for failure. You will fall hard.

Anyway, site badges should be discussed among the site staff, and not the users (on Serebii, anyway). The staff on Serebii are more mature than the vast majority of their userbase, so they would know better on who deserves a badge or not. If you want to weigh in on a badge nom, work your way up staff to prove yourself. Different sites have different policies regarding a say in nominations. Heck, Smogon lets badged members weigh in on mod nominations (only if there is opposition, though). Serebii's mods (I assume) weigh in on the nominations, and that's enough for now.

Regarding the latter two badge ideas: those would be awful badges to have. Afaik, badges are rewarded for contributions to the site somehow (site as in serebii.net and the forums). Anyone can become a guild leader or club owner. It's not something you are nominated for by the leaders of the site, so why should it matter? It just sounds like people want it so they can have a badge and nothing else. Not for contribution or anything, which is what badges are rewarded for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    I don't really understand what you mean by "fake it." I get that putting out clear instructions on what to do is bad, and if that's what you mean then disregard this post, but putting generalized set of qualities such as this isn't a bad idea. Putting out badges and saying "good luck" won't work (not that I'm assuming you are!). People need to be guided, and this will help the forum produce better posts (hopefully).

Anyway, faking it doesn't really matter if they are producing good work. If they are faking caring about the site, oh well. As long as they produce the quality of work and don't troll or anything, why stop them from being rewarded?

My two cents. If I have been unclear then let me know.

e: Also, you have a "General" category, but those only cover staff and .net site contribution. I suggest having a catch-all badge (much like Smogon's Community Contributor badge). In this idea, nothing goes unnoticed. The really good contributors get noticed and rewarded, which is something I assume you want, especially if you're hoping for them to stay. Not too sure what badges are in the works, but a general "makes top-quality posts in this forum, this forum, etc. is something I strongly suggest.
    Last edited by DarumakkaImposter; 6th May 2014 at 10:38 PM.
    I mod the Smogon Forums. Feel free to ask me any questions!

What I meant by fake it is that, if we give people the specifics on what they need to accomplish in order to earn a badge, then they will just work to that. While that's a good thing, the idea behind it is to reward the people for being who they are, not for ticking off certain tasks, if you get my drift.

I definitely get what you mean, but idk I never got why it mattered. If they do it for the badge then that's on them. You can do all you want to combat that, but you can't force them to do it out of character. If they "tick of certain tasks," then that means they want to, so the work gets done. People will work for the badge, but there will be people who work for the joy of it.

Anyway, this is just a discussion of ethics at this point. My main sentiments were in regards to what you meant by having a checklist. A generalized list of goals is good, but specifics are not (is what I am getting at this point). If forums want to host discussions and have a point system for contributions/milestones in laddering/something, that's not a bad thing, either. It helps promote good discussion in the forum. If you're against this, I'm not too sure why you would even do badges. It seems like you just threw them out there and said "good luck."

Sorry if I sound malicious or something. I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything.
    I mod the Smogon Forums. Feel free to ask me any questions!

Ooh, the mystery of getting a badge out of nowhere. I like it.

I wonder how many people will swallow up their pride to be honest debaters?

It will be interesting to see who gets a "Certified Debater" award.
    Stand by for political rant that no one else really cares about.

3DS friend code: 1650 1976 9524

My FS type is Steel with Magneton, Forretress and Bronzong.

I'll be honest, I don't care how the badges look; as long as they succeed in the purpose, it's fine with me. Whether they work or not is what matters to me. With that, I will admit that they look nice and am offering an in-advance congratulations to whomever get at least one of the badges (other than the ones who wind up with the one for hacking; uh-oh).
    I am slowly and gradually (but surely) changing for the better and believe that it will be reflected by my actions and decisions. Will I always succeed in decency and self-discipline? Most likely not. Am I perfect? Never; I am a human being and will therefore make errors. Will I try to live and act the proper way whilst being as close to perfect as humanly possible? Absolutely! I'm not as good as I should be, but I'm better than I once was.

This badge system is very nice. Might be impossible for me to get one, but I'm satisfied with my posting badge.

Quote Originally Posted by LDSman View Post
    It will be interesting to see who gets a "Certified Debater" award.
    Considering the fact that the mods of the debate forum seem to all be on the same side of almost any given debate, I'll bet that they'll just be ticked at those on the opposing side and not really be thinking "Hey, lets give this guy a badge."

But, as cool as it is to get a badge, it doesn't really change anything.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Spock View Post
    Considering the fact that the mods of the debate forum seem to all be on the same side of almost any given debate, I'll bet that they'll just be ticked at those on the opposing side and not really be thinking "Hey, lets give this guy a badge."

But, as cool as it is to get a badge, it doesn't really change anything.
    It's not about sides are not lmao. You guys can get that misconception out of your head. As far as what qualities are going into the badge I'm keeping it a secret.

Star-Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Moogles View Post
    It's not about sides are not lmao. You guys can get that misconception out of your head. As far as what qualities are going into the badge I'm keeping it a secret.
    *Looks at badge* You have the badge. Therefore, I need to heed your comment.

I think the scammer badge thing will really benefit the forum!

But anyways, thanks for making these badges!
    Ho-Oh rules: 1. is AWESOME!!! 2. is the BEST!!! 3. No one can stop because it's AWESOME and the BEST!!!

Check out this site where I'm a Super Mod.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinemasterking View Post
    678 .EDIT this is my 8000 post in this thread, god what is wrong with me

Interesting. Will have to take the ex-site staff pin.
    Last edited by Ledian_X; 12th May 2014 at 5:09 PM.
    I am the author of the webcomic, Starbolts and host of the comic review show, Comic Showcase. Please check out the action here: http://starbolts.blogspot.com

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/cferra1227

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast