Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 63 of 63

Thread: Community POTW #028

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    132

    Default

    Partners for the Shark

    Garchomp has several pokemon that it works well with. Sandstorm setters get an immediate spot on the list but Hippowodon and Tyranitar both share a weakness with the Shark Dragon (Ice and Fairy respectively). Steel types natively resist all of Garchomp's weakness and thrive in sandstorm as well, making them good choices as well. Fire types are next on the list, and while they don't resist Dragon (though seriously, what Dragon throws itself infront of a Garchomp), they incinerate Ice and wall Fairies. Powerful Grass and Electric types deserve a runner up mention, being able to stop the bulky waters that on occasion trouble Garchomp.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.



    FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Garchomp also has to watch out for burns via Will-O-Wisp. Dusclops and Dusknoir are two Pokémon that come to mind (and why a Garchomp should be running Crunch...). Prankster Sableye is no fun either. I find using Flash Fire Chandelure (4HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spd) takes fire then spews it back. Chandelure is great for covering steel types that get paired with Garchomp, such as Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, etc.

    Klefki was an option I considered for it's steel/fairy typing and it's defensive support (dual screens and all) but I wasn't sure if it would take too long to set up. Why has Nintendo not made it 6v6 in random online matches!?
    Last edited by AreaManEXE; 9th May 2014 at 4:50 PM.

    No idea what's in my Friend Safari... /:
    Creature Comforts
    (soon to be) sounds to inspire you.
    peace & love.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AreaManEXE View Post
    Dusclops and Dusknoir are two Pokémon that come to mind (and why a Garchomp should be running Crunch...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smogon April OU Statistics
    134 | Dusclops | 0.75555%
    181 | Dusknoir | 0.33486%
    Two Pokemon who collectively don't even add up to 1% usage in OU is not a good reason to carry Crunch.

    Furthermore, SE Crunch is outdamaged by a neutral Outrage, and is only slightly stronger than a neutral Earthquake.

    252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dusknoir: 127-150 (43.1 - 51%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252 Atk Garchomp Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dusknoir: 136-160 (46.2 - 54.4%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Dusknoir: 153-180 (52 - 61.2%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

  4. #54

    Default

    The only time Crunch was ever even remotely viable was early 4th gen when people actually used Cresselia because it let you beat it without locking yourself into Outrage.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Deep Dark Hills of East KY
    Posts
    2,070

    Default

    Franky, Leader of the Sharks

    Ability:Sand Veil/Sand Force (in Mega Garchomp form)
    Item: Garchompite (can be alternate with a Dragon Claw if need be)
    Moves: Draco Meteor, Dig, Flamethrower, and Dragon Rush
    Preferred Highest Stat: Attack or Sp. Attack

    Breakdown: Having Flamethrower can handle down a tough Ice types that can deal out the 4x damage that would make it rough for Garchomp. Dig is a typical move that can be used when you need to duck and dodge plus the fact that Garchomp gets STAB from it makes it even better; Alternately, I'd recommend to have Poison Jab to deal with Fairy types that you might come across. The last two moves that I have on this build is both Dragon Rush and Draco Meteor. Dragon Rush is the Dragon type move that can make a chip damage dragon type move when you don't need to use Draco Meteor. Draco Meteor is my final choice on the moveset because it's the ultimate Dragon type move. I recommend to use it sparingly or when you need to use it.

    On the hold Item, I'd recommend to have Garchompite since it acts as a trump card when the going gets tough in a battle. The alternate item that I would recommend is the Dragon Fang since it ups up the already uped Dragon Rush and Draco Meteor from STAB that you get from Garchomp being a Dragon type. I like this item due to that fact that it acts as a Mega Stone and you will have 2 of your more than likely moves already beefed up due to STAB.


    Smashin' !

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaAuraWolf View Post
    Franky, Leader of the Sharks

    Ability:Sand Veil/Sand Force (in Mega Garchomp form)
    Item: Garchompite (can be alternate with a Dragon Claw if need be)
    Moves: Draco Meteor, Dig, Flamethrower, and Dragon Rush
    Preferred Highest Stat: Attack or Sp. Attack

    Breakdown: Having Flamethrower can handle down a tough Ice types that can deal out the 4x damage that would make it rough for Garchomp. Dig is a typical move that can be used when you need to duck and dodge plus the fact that Garchomp gets STAB from it makes it even better; Alternately, I'd recommend to have Poison Jab to deal with Fairy types that you might come across. The last two moves that I have on this build is both Dragon Rush and Draco Meteor. Dragon Rush is the Dragon type move that can make a chip damage dragon type move when you don't need to use Draco Meteor. Draco Meteor is my final choice on the moveset because it's the ultimate Dragon type move. I recommend to use it sparingly or when you need to use it.

    On the hold Item, I'd recommend to have Garchompite since it acts as a trump card when the going gets tough in a battle. The alternate item that I would recommend is the Dragon Fang since it ups up the already uped Dragon Rush and Draco Meteor from STAB that you get from Garchomp being a Dragon type. I like this item due to that fact that it acts as a Mega Stone and you will have 2 of your more than likely moves already beefed up due to STAB.
    Both Dig and Dragon Rush are terrible options for any Pokemon. Dig is laughable, given that Earthquake has 20 more BP, and that same move hits for twice the damage when underground. Dragon Rush, while powerful, is terribly inaccurate. Its not worth the 25% chance to miss for only a 20 BP increase from Dragon Claw, or in the case of Outrage, being locked in altogether.

    Also, your set really doesnt accomplish much when you have 4 random moves on there. You should either go physical, or use a mixed set, but only with Megachomp, as a base 80 SpAtk stat is nothing to write home about. Given that you recommend Dragon Fang, youre really not going for the mixed Megachomp set. Additionally, Dragon Fang really doesnt accomplish much. Garchomp benefits a lot more from a Life Orb, Rocky Helmet, Leftovers, or a Choice Scarf. All of these items can be used on different sets, but they accomplish a hell of a lot more than a Dragon Fang.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Outrage gives me serious doubts these days due to Fairy Types being completely immune to Dragon-Type Moves. One bad prediction and a Fairy comes in for free on Outrage and wrecks face for a few turns. Even worse, that means Pranksters like Whimsicott or Klefki can set up their magical torture chamber for free and Azumarill, Gardevoir, and Togekiss get a free switch-in to lay down the hurt. To make things even worse than that, Choice Band/Scarf would lock you into Outrage, forcing a switch on a Fairy Type and making Choice Items less viable for Dragon Types. Personally, I would actually consider the added chance to miss with Dragon Rush or the lack of Power with Dragon Claw before falling back on the formerly-reliable Outrage and consider Assault Vest, Rocky Helmet, Life Orb, or Garchompite over any Choice Item.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

    Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Outrage gives me serious doubts these days due to Fairy Types being completely immune to Dragon-Type Moves. One bad prediction and a Fairy comes in for free on Outrage and wrecks face for a few turns. Even worse, that means Pranksters like Whimsicott or Klefki can set up their magical torture chamber for free and Azumarill, Gardevoir, and Togekiss get a free switch-in to lay down the hurt. To make things even worse than that, Choice Band/Scarf would lock you into Outrage, forcing a switch on a Fairy Type and making Choice Items less viable for Dragon Types. Personally, I would actually consider the added chance to miss with Dragon Rush or the lack of Power with Dragon Claw before falling back on the formerly-reliable Outrage and consider Assault Vest, Rocky Helmet, Life Orb, or Garchompite over any Choice Item.
    That is the exact reason why ChoiceChomp is a late game cleaner. Once fairies (and some steels) are removed, Outrage kills anything in it's way (slight exaggeration, but you get the point). Granted, on a SD set, Dragon Claw is always the better option, because losing your boosts means losing your momentum in the match.
    Last edited by Cloneblazer12; 10th May 2014 at 2:51 PM.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Outrage gives me serious doubts these days due to Fairy Types being completely immune to Dragon-Type Moves. One bad prediction and a Fairy comes in for free on Outrage and wrecks face for a few turns. Even worse, that means Pranksters like Whimsicott or Klefki can set up their magical torture chamber for free and Azumarill, Gardevoir, and Togekiss get a free switch-in to lay down the hurt. To make things even worse than that, Choice Band/Scarf would lock you into Outrage, forcing a switch on a Fairy Type and making Choice Items less viable for Dragon Types. Personally, I would actually consider the added chance to miss with Dragon Rush or the lack of Power with Dragon Claw before falling back on the formerly-reliable Outrage and consider Assault Vest, Rocky Helmet, Life Orb, or Garchompite over any Choice Item.
    Team Preview is a thing though. Obviously if you expect a fairy to switch in, you wouldn't use Outrage, especially considering most of the Pokemon you mentioned can be 1HKO'd or 2HKO'ed by the appropriate coverage move. And once you the fairies (and to a lesser extent, steel types) are gone later in the game, there's very little to stop you from unleashing those nasty Outrages to pulverize anything on the opposite end.

    People overrated Fairy types' influence. Yes, they add a bit more risk into the risk vs. reward prediction when using Outrage/Draco Meteor, but having one type immune to them doesn't do all that much in the grand scheme of things. We still see tons of Earthquakes when Flying types exist. High Jump Kick still sees use even though Ghost types exist. The difference is that you can't just "Outrage and forget" as you could in Gen 5, where even weakened Steel types could be KO'ed by it.

    Plus, Scarf is still the most viable set for Garchomp, so I'm not sure what you're talking about with it being less viable. It still allows Garchomp to revenge kill things that could otherwise sweep a team, such as Volcarona, and virtually every dragon dance user in the tier, as its 102 speed tier lets it outspeed them even at +1 speed. It also cleans remarkably well late game when walls have been weakened and priority users are gone as well.

    And again, there's no reason to ever use Dragon Rush, ever. Too inaccurate for the moderate power. 75% accuracy for 100 accuracy is not really that good of a tradeoff.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Rough Skin w/ Garchompite/Yache Berry
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP/Defense
    Dragon Rush
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge/Shadow Claw
    Poison Jab/Stone Edge/Shadow Claw

    Countering
    High Defense and Sp Attack w/ Ice/Dragon/Fairy-Type moves like Glaceon or Ice Beam Slowbro/Gorebyss.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    Rough Skin w/ Garchompite/Yache Berry
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP/Defense
    Dragon Rush
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge/Shadow Claw
    Poison Jab/Stone Edge/Shadow Claw

    Countering
    High Defense and Sp Attack w/ Ice/Dragon/Fairy-Type moves like Glaceon or Ice Beam Slowbro/Gorebyss.
    See, on a set like that I'm thinking swords dance/dragon claw/earthquake/iron head would be better with a jolly nature and the same EVs. Then you can get to +2 on the switch and proceed to wreck things (with the three moves combined hitting everything barring the ever-rare skarmory/bronzong for at least neutral).
    ~Currently own: X and Y (4597-0364-2569), current 6th gen OU record: 199W/44L/6D-, UU record: 31W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, RU supporter, and steam enthusiast.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mye View Post
    See, on a set like that I'm thinking swords dance/dragon claw/earthquake/iron head would be better with a jolly nature and the same EVs. Then you can get to +2 on the switch and proceed to wreck things (with the three moves combined hitting everything barring the ever-rare skarmory/bronzong for at least neutral).
    Uhh, no. Skarmory aint rare bro.

    Quote Originally Posted by March usage statistics
    | 22 | Skarmory | 6.86645% | 387986 | 6.866% | 330738 | 7.419% |
    Granted, this is from over a month ago, but being number 22 on the usage statistics for OU is in no way, shape, or form, being rare.

    EDIT: Heres April:

    Quote Originally Posted by April usage statistics
    | 19 | Skarmory | 7.19490% | 341637 | 7.195% | 292910 | 7.805% |
    He actually moved up to #19, further proving my point.
    Last edited by Cloneblazer12; 11th May 2014 at 3:18 AM.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
    Granted, this is from over a month ago, but being number 22 on the usage statistics for OU is in no way, shape, or form, being rare.
    To add upon this, Skarmory's usage actually went up in the month of April.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smogon April Usage Statistics
    19 | Skarmory | 8.59232% | 341637 | 7.195% | 292910 | 7.805%
    It's even #13 in usage at the 1760 level.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smogon April Usage Statistics - 1760 level
    13 | Skarmory | 12.22726% | 341637 | 7.195% | 292910 | 7.805%
    So Skarmory is still pretty common, so being able to hit it at least neutrally is a must or it'll wall you and phase you out. And the fact that Stone Edge hits it neutrally, in addition to hitting Togekiss (who is immune to both of Garchomp's STAB) harder than Iron Head makes it more worthwhile. Other common fairy types, such as Azumarill and Mawile, are hit harder by Earthquake than Iron Head, and even Clefable and Sylveon take comparable damage from STAB Earthquake compared to Iron Head.

    Edit: Dangit Clone your ninja edits make me look redundant.
    Last edited by KillerDraco; 11th May 2014 at 3:24 AM.
    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •